Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #101
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Fun stuff out of Ubisoft. Joel McHale (host of E!'s Soup show) will be the MC at Ubisoft's E3 press conference. Should be entertaining. Certainly better that listening to an exec.

Or Jamie Kennedy

Jamie Kennedy makes the world cringe at E3 2007
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #102
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post

Yeah, that was brutal. I do personally think there's a huge difference between Jamie Kennedy and Joel McHale. I think McHale can be funny from a script and also off-the-cuff.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:16 PM   #103
Daimyo
College Starter

Its hard to get a list of inhouse developed games (as opposed to published), but this is the list as far as I could tell:

Super Mario Galaxy
Mario Kart Wii
Wii Fit
Wii Music
Animal Crossing: City Folk
Link's Crossbow Training

What games were developed inhouse by MS and Sony in the last 18 months? (I used a NA release of November 1st, 2007 as my cutoff)
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:45 AM   #104
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

More stuff from Nintendo's financial results briefing:

36 million+ selling DS games published by Nintendo
54 by third parties

18 million+ selling Wii games published by Nintendo
36 by third parties
Old 05-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #105
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
Its hard to get a list of inhouse developed games (as opposed to published), but this is the list as far as I could tell:

Super Mario Galaxy
Mario Kart Wii
Wii Fit
Wii Music
Animal Crossing: City Folk
Link's Crossbow Training

What games were developed inhouse by MS and Sony in the last 18 months? (I used a NA release of November 1st, 2007 as my cutoff)

Here are the inhouse developed PS3 games for the same time period:

MLB 08: The Show
MLB 09: The Show
NBA '09: The Inside
Singstar (in multiple versions)
Siren Blood Curse
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 07:35 PM   #106
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo View Post
Here are the inhouse developed PS3 games for the same time period:

MLB 08: The Show
MLB 09: The Show
NBA '09: The Inside
Singstar (in multiple versions)
Siren Blood Curse

We've already discussed this somewhat, but I'm assuming you just tuned in. Sony and MS use 2nd party for most of their exclusive software. The only difference on those games is the business relationship. No one is under the impression that games from people like Naughty Dog games are anything other than Sony games, even though they aren't technically in-house.
Old 05-10-2009, 02:23 AM   #107
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

All in all, none of this really matters anymore. Unless something drastic happens, I don't see any way that this console generation doesn't finish with Wii taking first, Xbox 360 taking second, and PS3 taking last.

IMO, this generation's console war is over, and its time for Playstation to pick up the pieces and start thinking about PS4.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #108
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
All in all, none of this really matters anymore. Unless something drastic happens, I don't see any way that this console generation doesn't finish with Wii taking first, Xbox 360 taking second, and PS3 taking last.

IMO, this generation's console war is over, and its time for Playstation to pick up the pieces and start thinking about PS4.

It may end this way, but it's far from over. The consensus from the opinions I've seen is that this generation will last to at least 2013, which is substantially longer than previous generations. The one exception may be Nintendo, as they obviously have an underpowered console that they may considered upgrading to a HD version.

There's a lot of time left in this console. The price slashing is obviously where we'll see the next battle, with Nintendo and Sony both still having substantial cutting room, while MS has already played quite a few cards in that battle. But we won't see anything further of note until fall 2009 at the very earliest.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-10-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:59 PM   #109
spleen1015
Coordinator

Looks like some other folks believe in Nintendo.

hxxp://www.develop100.com/
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #110
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

One thing that hasn't been noted of late is the narrowing of the gap in worldwide sales between the PS3 and the 360. The 360 had been making headway for a few months by staying with the PS3 or even beating the PS3 in Japan. But it hasn't lasted, as the PS3 is now back to outselling the 360 by 75-80K units a month in Japan. Given that the 360 and PS3 are basically even in Europe and that the 360 is expected to win by 90-100K in North America this April, you basically have a draw between those two consoles worldwide. Given the good push that the 360 had in Japan over the holidays, I'm surprised at how quickly that surge regressed. That's why a worldwide price cut by Sony would make things at least interesting again, especially with the Gran Turismo 5 HD release on the horizon in Japan.

As I mentioned before, E3 should answer a lot of questions as far as what changes will shape the Fall retail landscape.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #111
RainMaker
General Manager

The battle is over, Sony lost. They are still losing in console sales which is just pathetic this deep in the game. If they haven't been able to overtake the 360 by now on a monthly basis, it's too late to ever catch them in total households.

Last edited by RainMaker : 05-11-2009 at 02:47 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #112
gstelmack
Pro Starter

It's still nowhere near the 300K+ the PS3 was going to be outselling the 360 OVER A YEAR AGO...
Old 05-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #113
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The battle is over, Sony lost. They are still losing in console sales which is just pathetic this deep in the game. If they haven't been able to overtake the 360 by now on a monthly basis, it's too late to ever catch them in total households.

There is much still to be gained by Sony. They still have the pricing power to create a substantial jump in sales figures with a price cut alone. They also have extremely good news this week concerning Blu-ray and the large jump in retail sales over the last 6-8 months.

Sony is down by 8M units, but most of that difference is obviously in the U.S. The PS3 has outsold the 360 by roughly 2.5M units everywhere else. There is still room to make an impression with a price cut this holiday season, especially in Europe and Japan which make up roughly 50% of the worldwide market. They may not pass the 360, but I'm not even sure they should be focused on that at this point. The generation is extended by quite a bit and they need to focus on making up that difference between the 360 and PS3 over the final years of this generation. They need to finish well. Now, what they need to do and what they will do judging from what we've seen thus far could be two different things.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:38 PM   #114
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
It's still nowhere near the 300K+ the PS3 was going to be outselling the 360 OVER A YEAR AGO...

Agreed. Everyone, including myself, has been very critical of them for that misstep. There's no question that opportunities were missed. Not even a topic to be debated.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:18 AM   #115
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Some info from Sony's FY 2008 Financial Results:

Hardware LTD - FY 08 - change from FY 07:

PSP: 51.70m ---- 14.11m ---- +2%
PS3: 22.91m ---- 10.06m ----- +10%
PS2: 137.70m --- 7.91m ------ -42%

Software LTD - FY 08 - change from FY 07:

PSP: 197.50m ---- 50.3 ---- -9%
PS3: 174.80m --- 103.7 ---- +79%
PS2: ~1.460b ---- 83.5 --- -46%

Overall the company lost $1.035 billion and $612 million in the gaming division. Last year the gaming division lost more than twice as much.

I didn't find numbers but Sony expects PSN sales to triple in FY 2009. They expect to sell three million more PS3s, one million more PSPs, and three million fewer PS2s this year.

Sony Investor Relations website
Old 05-14-2009, 07:28 AM   #116
wade moore
lolzcat

I'd be curious to see numbers on what the net profit on the PS2 is so far in it's lifespan.. I wonder if that is available in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

Last edited by wade moore : 05-14-2009 at 07:28 AM.
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:43 AM   #117
spleen1015
Coordinator

I know Sony is a big company, but how can a company lose $1 billion and stay in business?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:09 AM   #118
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I know Sony is a big company, but how can a company lose $1 billion and stay in business?

Same reason GM can lose $10B a quarter or two in a row before they get in trouble - which is where we are now since they've done it a couple straight. They deal in tens of billions of dollars in revenue every quarter.

SNE: Key Statistics for SONY CP ADR - Yahoo! Finance

They have $5B in cash sitting around and $12B debt. They brought in revenue of $84B last year so what's $1B of that to them? If the next quarter is good, they could easily make $5B in profit- if I'm reading this right, they made $20B in gross profit last year.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:13 AM   #119
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I'd be curious to see numbers on what the net profit on the PS2 is so far in it's lifespan.. I wonder if that is available in any way.

Not quite what you're looking for, but here is the gaming division's profit/loss over the past decade or so with added 2009 in:

1998 1,253,000,000
1999 1,431,000,000
2000 900,000,000
2001 -488,000,000
2002 731,000,000
2003 1,076,000,000
2004 731,000,000
2005 440,000,000
2006 79,000,000
2007 -1,969,000,000
2008 -1,254,000,000
2009 -612,000,000

I don't think there is a publicly available breakdown by platform floating around though. The gaming division used to be a big earner. This is why the PS3 still costs $400.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:29 AM   #120
wade moore
lolzcat

So at the peak of the PS2 they were making a pretty substantial amount of money. 2001 would be the release of the PS2? And they were way in the black by 2002? That's pretty impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:15 PM   #121
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

PS2 was released October of 2000 and PS3 was released in November 2006. Those numbers line up pretty well with those release dates. As Wade said, its pretty amazing how fast they went back to making a profit after PS2 compared to PS3.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:00 AM   #122
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
There is much still to be gained by Sony. They still have the pricing power to create a substantial jump in sales figures with a price cut alone. They also have extremely good news this week concerning Blu-ray and the large jump in retail sales over the last 6-8 months.
Extremely good news? Come on. So their sales in Blu-Ray are up in the last 6-8 months. That isn't hard considering sales up to that point were miniscule. They still only have a 7% market share and are being beaten 9 times over by DVD sales. Blu-Ray has been a huge disappointment so far for Sony and is far from becoming the standard in movies (which I don't think will ever happen).

Quote:
Sony is down by 8M units, but most of that difference is obviously in the U.S. The PS3 has outsold the 360 by roughly 2.5M units everywhere else. There is still room to make an impression with a price cut this holiday season, especially in Europe and Japan which make up roughly 50% of the worldwide market. They may not pass the 360, but I'm not even sure they should be focused on that at this point. The generation is extended by quite a bit and they need to focus on making up that difference between the 360 and PS3 over the final years of this generation. They need to finish well. Now, what they need to do and what they will do judging from what we've seen thus far could be two different things.

They don't have the pricing power. They lost $1 billion dollars last year. Lowering prices also doesn't mean you win the console war. They could sell systems for $25 and catch up to the others in a couple months. It wouldn't be a victory for them though. Just as lowering the price $100 for a console that is already much more expensive to make than their competitors isn't giving them a leg up. Especially considering that Sony doesn't have the revenue streams that Microsoft does with their console (Xbox Live).

I don't doubt that Sony has a chance to close the gap on Microsoft over the next 4-5 years. I'd attribute that more to gamers who already have a 360 picking up a PS3 to play a couple exclusive games they want. But ultimately I don't see people changing their console of choice in the middle of a cycle. By now people have become comfortable with what they are playing, made friends online, and have a slew of games in their library. They've invested their money in the accessories. Unless Sony can offer something remarkable to these gamers that Microsoft can't, they will have a real tough time converting people.

For the record, I have both systems. I prefer buying games on the 360 because I bought it first and am more comfortable with the controls and have friends who play online with it.

Last edited by RainMaker : 05-15-2009 at 05:01 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:14 AM   #123
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting to see just how much the Japan market has turned back to Sony in recent months. Sony actually sold nearly 100K PS3's in a much smaller market than the U.S., where they only sold around 130K. Huge drops for the Wii and 360 when compared to sales from one year ago. Wii only sold 340K? That's a crazy drop.

As Bill Harris also mentions in his latest console post, it looks like the PS3 may only receive a $50 drop judging by their forecasted finances. Doubt that will provide any substantial boost.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:17 AM   #124
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Extremely good news? Come on. So their sales in Blu-Ray are up in the last 6-8 months. That isn't hard considering sales up to that point were miniscule. They still only have a 7% market share and are being beaten 9 times over by DVD sales. Blu-Ray has been a huge disappointment so far for Sony and is far from becoming the standard in movies (which I don't think will ever happen).

We'll just agree to disagree. Blu-ray is putting up substantial growth numbers that are exceeding what DVD at a similar point in its lifecycle. DVD didn't even have this kind of market share at this point in disc sales or players sold. It appears they did just fine.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:41 AM   #125
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
As Bill Harris also mentions in his latest console post, it looks like the PS3 may only receive a $50 drop judging by their forecasted finances. Doubt that will provide any substantial boost.

That might be enough to get me in as I'm basically buying the system for a small handful of games.

But even after the price drop, I'll be watching game sales simply because, as someone stated before, I vastly prefer the 360 system despite having been a very loyal PS2 player over my original X-Box. Now, to be fair, I've probably only logged 50 or so hours playing the PS3 at several friends houses, but once I have both, I can't see getting a PS3 version of a game over the 360 version.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:46 AM   #126
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
That might be enough to get me in as I'm basically buying the system for a small handful of games.

But even after the price drop, I'll be watching game sales simply because, as someone stated before, I vastly prefer the 360 system despite having been a very loyal PS2 player over my original X-Box. Now, to be fair, I've probably only logged 50 or so hours playing the PS3 at several friends houses, but once I have both, I can't see getting a PS3 version of a game over the 360 version.

My guess is that people will still be able to get those PS3 deals from places like Dell or Sony where the console is discounted by $100, which would make the console only $250. That's a really good price for the PS3.

I also agree with you that most games will not have any difference between the PS3 and the 360. Sony just needs to keep putting out the exclusives through their second-party developers. That's definitely where their strength lies.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-15-2009 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:10 AM   #127
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Sony just needs to keep putting out the exclusives through their second-party developers. That's definitely where their strength lies.

I definitely agree with you here. And thanks for the Dell tip, I'll have to keep an eye out for that.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:15 AM   #128
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I definitely agree with you here. And thanks for the Dell tip, I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

You'll want to check Slickdeals.net - The best coupons, lowest prices, and hottest deals. every morning if you want to catch the deals. They've very good about posting the console sales the same day they go live. They also occasionally have Xbox 360 sales as well. It usually lasts 3-4 days each time they have the sale.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:36 AM   #129
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks MBBF. Looks like I can get 15% off and free-shipping from Dell for the Uncharted 160 GB package. I will probably go ahead and do that, just hate waiting for it to arrive.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:20 PM   #130
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Interesting to see just how much the Japan market has turned back to Sony in recent months. Sony actually sold nearly 100K PS3's in a much smaller market than the U.S., where they only sold around 130K. Huge drops for the Wii and 360 when compared to sales from one year ago. Wii only sold 340K? That's a crazy drop.

Yeah, but Wii has to have an insane saturation in Japan at this point. Even with that, they're still doubling up the other two.

SI

Old 05-15-2009, 09:24 PM   #131
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
We'll just agree to disagree. Blu-ray is putting up substantial growth numbers that are exceeding what DVD at a similar point in its lifecycle. DVD didn't even have this kind of market share at this point in disc sales or players sold. It appears they did just fine.

Where are you getting your data from?

You are also disagreeing with Sony who boasted last year that Blu-Ray market share would be equal to DVD by this time. 90/10 is a bit off from 50/50.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #132
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Any PS3 owners, I'm really close to breaking down on this (just for The Show and maybe Ghostbusters, plus to use as a blu-ray player although we already have one):

Other than HD space, is there any difference between the current 160 gb and 80 gb system?

If I'm not a huge gamer (plus the 360 will still be my primary machine), do I even need the 160 gb?

If I go bundle, which set is better: Resistance/MotorStorm or Uncharted: Drake's Fortune?

Thanks for any and all answers in advance as I've been told, with the newborn, I need to find ways to entertain myself at home rather than going out.

Last edited by PurdueBrad : 05-16-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:27 PM   #133
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I would think your are fine with the 80GB. I have the 80GB, but then again I am still fine with my 20GB 360.

And I never intended it to happen, but my PS3 has pretty much replaced my 360.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:18 PM   #134
RainMaker
General Manager

Yeah 80GB is a lot of space still. I'd go with that.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #135
Flasch186
Coordinator

I have a Bluray player with the Playstation logo on it until Tues...

Than Im going to kick some ASS!

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:47 PM   #136
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Other than HD space, is there any difference between the current 160 gb and 80 gb system?

I think the 160gb comes with a few PSN games.

The PS3 hard drive can be upgraded easily if you need more disk space in the future.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:51 AM   #137
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
If I'm not a huge gamer (plus the 360 will still be my primary machine), do I even need the 160 gb?

If I go bundle, which set is better: Resistance/MotorStorm or Uncharted: Drake's Fortune?

I think the 80 GB is probably plenty. There are downloadable full games that can eat up some space (Warhawk and Burnout: Paradise come to mind), but there's no discount for the online version, so I usually buy the disc instead. Some of the games do require installs, but I have a 80 GB with 15-18 disc games and 11 downloaded games and still have plenty of space available. It's also easy to remove game installs that you no longer use.

I'd buy based on what is cheapest rather than the bundle contents. All three of the games you mention in those bundles can be found cheap used, so you can pick up what you don't get in the bundle pretty easily. I'd also direct you to Dell Online to purchase it. Several people have picked up PS3's off that site for $50-100 under retail. It's the best place to buy IMO.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #138
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I did end up breaking down (after spending a ton of money on the wife, hoping to help her out some) and buying a PS3. I picked up the Drake's Fortune bundle with the 160 gb (which is overkill, but that's alright) and an extra controller, charger, and MLB The Show. Both games are very sweet. The system is nice, I think the 360's menus and on-line system are still light years ahead and $55 for a controller is outrageous. Otherwise, fairly comparable (although, as I knew, The Show's graphics are on an entirely different level than anything else available).
Old 07-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #139
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My Way News - June video game sales drop sharply

NEW YORK (AP) - Squeezed by the economic downturn, U.S. retail sales of video games dropped sharply in June, the largest year-over-year decline the industry has seen in nearly nine years.

Market researcher NPD Group said Thursday that sales of game hardware, software and accessories plunged 31 percent from the same month last year, to $1.17 billion. It marked the biggest year-over-year decline since September 2000.

The drop "is certainly going to cause some pain and reflection in the industry," said NPD analyst Anita Frazier in a statement.

June was the fourth straight month to see a sales decline this year, even as video game companies continue to tout their products as a cheap form of entertainment. Recession-battered consumers are nonetheless cutting back on spending, and there have also been fewer hit game launches in recent months than in the corresponding period in 2008.

While retail sales have declined, the video game audience is continuing to expand. But many people are playing games online, for free.

"The trick is to continue to figure out how to monetize all the gaming that is going on across PC, mobile devices, and video game systems," Frazier said.

June hardware sales tumbled 38 percent to $382.6 million from $617.3 million. As expected, the Nintendo Wii was the month's best-selling console with 361,700 units sold, while the Nintendo DS was the top-performing handheld gaming device with 766,500 sold.

Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 sold fewer units than the Wii - just 240,600 - but it was the only system to show a year-over-year sales increase. Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3, meanwhile, saw 164,700 units sold.

Software sales dropped 29 percent, to $625.8 million from $875.8 million. Best-selling games included "Prototype" for the Xbox 360 from Activision Blizzard Inc., fighting game "UFC 2009: Undisputed" for the Xbox from THQ Inc. and the fitness game "EA Sports Active" for the Wii from Electronic Arts Inc.

In all, industry sales are down 12 percent year-to-date. But video game companies make most of their money during the holiday season, so with a strong performance in the back half of the year, 2009 sales "could still be flat to slightly up to 2008's record-breaking performance," Frazier said.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:50 AM   #140
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Here's a bunch of numbers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware
Nintendo DS 766.5K
Wii 361.7K
Xbox 360 240.6K
PlayStation 3 164.7K
PSP 163.5K
PlayStation 2 152.7K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Software
PROTOTYPE (360) 419.9K
UFC 2009:UNDISPUTED (360) 338.3K
EA SPORTS ACTIVE BUNDLE (Wii) 289.1K
TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 10* (Wii) 272.4K
WII FIT (Wii) 271.6K
FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4 (360) 260.8K
FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4 (PS3) 210.3K
MARIO KART W/WHEEL (WII) 202.1K
RED FACTION:GUERRILLA (360) 199.4K
INFAMOUS (PS3) 192.7K

Quote:
Originally Posted by All PS3, Wii, 360, PSP, DS over 20k
PS3 FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4 210,335
PS3 INFAMOUS 192,674
PS3 UFC 2009 UNDISPUTED 187,895
PS3 PROTOTYPE 179,210
PS3 GHOSTBUSTERS: THE VIDEO 103,413
PS3 TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 10 96,539
PS3 RED FACTION: GUERRILLA 67,486
PS3 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR 38,798
PS3 MLB '09: THE SHOW 38,000
PS3 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE GOTY ED 37,149
PS3 BLAZBLUE: CALAMITY TRIGGER 36,570
PS3 TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN 35,351
PS3 KILLZONE 2 26,696
PS3 RESIDENT EVIL 5 23,267
PS3 X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE UNCAGED ED 22,359
PS3 FIFA SOCCER 09 21,209
PS3 GUITAR HERO: SMASH HITS 20,909

EA SPORTS ACTIVE BUNDLE 289,083
WII FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD 271,556
WII TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 10 MOTION PLUS BUNDLE 204,899
WII MARIO KART W/ WHEEL 202,137
WII PUNCH OUT!! 148,754
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 146,149
WII THE CONDUIT 71,913
WII GHOSTBUSTERS: THE VIDEO GAME 71,899
WII TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 10 67,523
WII LEGO STAR WARS: COMPLETE SAGA 60,000
WII GRAND SLAM TENNIS 54,379
WII LINK'S CROSSBOW TRAINING W/ ZAPPER 47,619
WII BOOM BLOX BASH PARTY 47,288
WII SUPER SMASH BROS: BRAWL 44,098
WII INDIANA JONES AND THE STAFF OF KINGS 40,042
WII UP 39,194
WII LEGO INDIANA JONES: THE ORIGINAL ADVENTURES 38,528
WII STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED 36,627
WII GUITAR HERO: SMASH HITS 35,827
WII LEGO BATMAN 32,817
WII TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN 30,895
WII MARIO PARTY 8 29,341
WII GOLD'S GYM CARDIO WORKOUT 27,595
WII MY SIMS RACING 26,683
WII CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR 26,563
WII ROCK BAND 2 SPECIAL ED 26,158
WII MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL 2K9 26,081
WII NEW PLAY CONTROL! MARIO POWER TENNIS 26,019
WII SUPER MARIO GALAXY 24,114
WII GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR W/BAND KIT 22,453
WII 21,581
WII MARIO SUPER SLUGGERS 21,537
WII DECA SPORTS 21,030
WII MY FITNESS COACH 20,342

360 PROTOTYPE 419,863
360 UFC 2009 UNDISPUTED 338,278
360 FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4 260,817
360 RED FACTION: GUERRILLA 199,380
360 GHOSTBUSTERS: THE VIDEO GAME 192,298
360 TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 10 133,321
360 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR 88,589
360 CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE GOTY ED 71,175
360 HALO 3 62,546
360 NBA 2K9 61,400
360 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL 2K9 58,916
360 TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN 58,829
360 GUITAR HERO: SMASH HITS 43,139
360 OVERLORD 2 38,772
360 FALLOUT 3 OPERATION ANCHORAGE AND THE PITT EXPANSION PACK 38,559
360 LEFT 4 DEAD GOTY ED 35,141
360 FABLE II 31,796
360 X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE UNCAGED ED 30,878
360 ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION GOTY ED 29,201
360 GRAND THEFT AUTO IV 29,176
360 BLAZBLUE: CALAMITY TRIGGER 28,905
360 FALLOUT 3 28,404
360 HALO WARS 26,346
360 RESIDENT EVIL 5 25,796
360 FIFA SOCCER 09 25,431
360 STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED 24,191
360 CALL OF JUAREZ: BOUND IN BLOOD 23,684
360 SACRED 2: FALLEN ANGEL 22,163
360 GEARS OF WAR 2 21,516
360 LEFT 4 DEAD 21,316
360 PRINCE OF PERSIA 20,756
360 GUITAR HERO METALLICA 20,076

PSP MONSTER HUNTER FREEDOM UNITE 68,768
PSP ROCK BAND UNPLUGGED 37,480
PSP GOD OF WAR: CHAINS OF OLYMPUS 35,144
PSP X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE 28,384
PSP MLB '09: THE SHOW 27,575
PSP UP 26,328
PSP GRAND THEFT AUTO: LIBERTY CITY STORIES 25,370
PSP STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED 25,294
PSP TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN 25,150
PSP MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL 2K9 20,956
PSP RESISTANCE: RETRIBUTION 20,901
PSP CRISIS CORE: FINAL FANTASY VII 20,458

NDS POKEMON PLATINUM VERSION 175,978
NDS MARIO KART DS 132,499
NDS THE LEGENDARY STARFY 122,745
NDS NEW SUPER MARIO BROS 118,161
NDS UP 93,265
NDS LEGO STAR WARS: COMPLETE SAGA 62,192
NDS LEGO BATTLES 56,424
NDS TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN - AUTOBOTS 54,477
NDS GARDENING MAMA 53,136
NDS MARIO PARTY 51,303
NDS SUPER MARIO 64 DS 51,010
NDS COOKING MAMA 45,578
NDS MY SIMS RACING 43,249
NDS LEGO BATMAN 42,704
NDS BRAIN AGE 2: MORE TRAINING IN MINUTES A DAY 42,447
NDS RHYTHM HEAVEN 41,345
NDS LEGO INDIANA JONES: THE ORIGINAL ADVENTURES 39,316
NDS KIRBY SUPER STAR ULTRA 36,889
NDS PROFESSOR LAYTON AND THE CURIOUS VILLAGE 35,220
NDS TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN - DECEPTICONS 33,175
NDS BRAIN AGE: TRAIN YOUR BRAIN IN MINUTES A DAY 32,379
NDS IMAGINE: BOUTIQUE OWNER 32,343
NDS CARNIVAL GAMES 32,256
NDS CLUB PENGUIN: ELITE PENGUIN FORCE 32,224
NDS GHOSTBUSTERS: THE VIDEO GAME 29,059
NDS PAWS & CLAWS: PAMPERED PETS 28,014
NDS KNIGHTS IN THE NIGHTMARE 27,049
NDS COOKING MAMA 2: DINNER WITH FRIENDS 26,662
NDS MARIO AND SONIC: OLYMPIC GAMES 25,336
NDS CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE 25,170
NDS SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI: DEVIL SURVIVOR 24,997
NDS GRAND THEFT AUTO: CHINATOWN WARS 24,146
NDS MY BABY GIRL 23,950
NDS NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: NINJA COUNCIL 4 23,049
NDS POKEMON RANGER: SHADOWS OF ALMIA 22,868
NDS CLUBHOUSE GAMES 22,493
NDS MYSTERY CASE FILES: MILLIONHEIR 22,160
NDS X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE 21,723
NDS HANNAH MONTANA: THE MOVIE 21,436
NDS PETZ FASHION: DOGZ & CATZ 20,590
NDS YU-GI-OH! 5D'S STARDUST ACCELERATOR 20,564
NDS HELLO KITTY: BIG CITY DREAMS 20,484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number of games over 20k by system
NDS:42
Wii:34
360:32
PS3:17
PS2:15
PSP:12

Glad to see Tiger Wii do so well and am impressed that Motion Plus is already over 400k even before Wii Sports Resort comes out. Punch-Out continues to sell more than I would have thought.

Last edited by Big Fo : 07-17-2009 at 07:22 AM. Reason: found NDS sales numbers
Old 07-17-2009, 08:12 AM   #141
Calis
College Starter

Impressed that UFC still put up those numbers and that it beat Fight Night. EA must be regretting not moving on the UFC license when they had the chance.

Would have liked to see more sales for Red Faction. That's probably the most fun I've had playing a game this year, but I'm not sure how well they expected it to do. It was definitely pushed the least out of the big 3 open world games recently released.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:22 AM   #142
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

With regards to the hardware, it could just be that we're reaching a saturation point at the current prices. We haven't had a price drop in a while and less people can afford those higher prices at the moment. I don't see a whole lot of trouble with the DS numbers- they look similar to this time last year, but that's mainly on the strength of the DSi, I imagine. The Wii numbers are off about 40% from last year, but, again, no price drop since the start and it's got such a huge installed base. The PSP numbers look similar. X360 and PS3 numbers are going down less, but still down. Again, I think there's something to do with the economy but there's also something to be said for where we are at with the life cycle of these machines. Most of the people who were going to buy them at this price have bought one.

Good to see quality numbers for Tiger Woods 10 for the Wii. Frankly, I was a little disappointed with the Punch Out numbers. I wish Conduit would have gotten some better numbers, too.

SI

Old 07-17-2009, 02:38 PM   #143
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
With regards to the hardware, it could just be that we're reaching a saturation point at the current prices. We haven't had a price drop in a while and less people can afford those higher prices at the moment. I don't see a whole lot of trouble with the DS numbers- they look similar to this time last year, but that's mainly on the strength of the DSi, I imagine. The Wii numbers are off about 40% from last year, but, again, no price drop since the start and it's got such a huge installed base. The PSP numbers look similar. X360 and PS3 numbers are going down less, but still down. Again, I think there's something to do with the economy but there's also something to be said for where we are at with the life cycle of these machines. Most of the people who were going to buy them at this price have bought one.

Good to see quality numbers for Tiger Woods 10 for the Wii. Frankly, I was a little disappointed with the Punch Out numbers. I wish Conduit would have gotten some better numbers, too.

SI

Wii sales have officially dropped out of the stratosphere and are now closer to PS2 in its prime numbers.

Best Junes (going back to 2002 since that's all the numbers I could find):

2002 - PS2 - 690k
2008 - Wii - 667k
2003 - PS2 - 430k
2004 - PS2 - 430k
2008 - PS3 - 408k
2007 - Wii - 367k
2009 - Wii - 361k
2005 - PS2 - 360k
2006 - PS2 - 310k

PS2 price drop timing also helped out it's Junes a little bit:

* US$299.99 (October 26, 2000, Launch Price)
* US$199.99 (May 14, 2002)
* US$179.99 (May 13, 2003)
* US$149.99 (May 11, 2004)

It has been a long time since launch with no price drop, Nintendo should consider either a $50 drop or perhaps packaging Wii Sports Resort with the console to ensure all new Wii owners have at least one Motion Plus. The DS Lite has also been priced at $130 for a few years but seems to be doing well still. I saw the figures but forgot the exact amount, it was a close to a 50-50 split between DS Lite and DSi.

Punch-Out did 157k in May as well, I think that's a good first two months for what is essentially a puzzle game that tests your reflexes. More people felt that was worth $50 than I would have thought. I'm with you on the Conduit, that sold a little less than I thought it might, and I would have liked to see it do better and perhaps encourage a few other companies to make shooters for Wii. June NPD report only counts the first nine days it was on sale and Sega is still running a lot of commercials for it, maybe it will sell well over time.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #144
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I really like the idea of a Wii Sports Resort bundle. Wouldn't help me any, but I think it would sell nicely.

SI

Old 07-17-2009, 05:28 PM   #145
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Wii Play finished outside the top 10 for the first time in 2.5 years. Its presence every month caused a lot of grumbling (it's just a controller! it shouldn't count! NPD should release a top 11 to compensate!) but the one month it doesn't make the top 10 there is a massive data leak and people get to see how many copies hundreds of games sold. Pretty funny.