Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-14-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Basements

So we bought our house last May and we've had two significant rainfalls. One in September of last year, which we got a significant amount water in the basement. Of course, I had to tear up the wall in my newly completed man room. Had a guy come in and jacknife the wall and patch it. No problem since.

A couple weeks ago we got a bunch of rain, in the only two rooms in the basement that aren't finished we got a small amount of water - both from small cracks in the wall. Of course the wife wants to finish both those rooms before the baby arrives in September. I've been trying to figure out the best way to keep water out of the basement.

Anyone have any similar problems and come up with a permanent solution?

I'm having a hard time trusting a bunch of different wet basement companies, as I'm sure they are going to steer me to use their service. For the most part my grading seems good. The down spouts did clog up during this last rain so I'm curious how much that contributed.

Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Is it one area of the house or just generally all over? If one area, I'd recheck the grading just to make sure. Also, make sure that you are draining the water from the house a good 4-5 feet away or at least past any questionable grading.

The spouts may have caused it, all that water needs to go somewhere so it would just come over the gutters and land next to the house rather than down the drain and into the yard and if one part of the gutter was lower, that would be the point the water would mainly come out of.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:23 PM   #3
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
The down spouts did clog up during this last rain so I'm curious how much that contributed.

That alone will easily flood a basement. You've got all the water on the roof coming straight down your foundation. It doesn't take much of that at all to send water spilling in the basement. Got to keep a handle on that situation.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:05 AM   #4
Balldog
Pro Rookie

The two areas where water entered the basement were corresponding areas with the clogged gutters/down spouts.

Thanks for the feedback.

I think I'm going to do the following (1) fix the two known cracks, (2) fix any questionable grading areas, (3) look into adding extensions to get water further from the house, and (4) install some debris covers for the gutters. Hopefully this will be enough to fix long term.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:15 AM   #5
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I would
1) Fix the gutter, critical.
2) If the site topography and budget allows look at mini grading to direct surface flow away from the house
3) Look into a permacoat/permaseal on the basement walls. This could be a thread to itself and if sufficient drains are not in the wall, this is a no go and could actually worsen your problems. But if it is buiilt right this is a game over step.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:02 AM   #6
cougarfreak
College Starter

Downspouts can be a huge contributor. I just moved from a basement that would seep or leak if I had the slightest clog. No clogs, no leaks.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:05 AM   #7
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Great call by MBBF on the clogged downspouts.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:31 AM   #8
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post

Let's just say I might have learned the hard way in my starter home, which was a 60 year old home.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:39 AM   #9
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

As much as I wish I had more storage space, there are times that I'm glad I only have a crawlspace (and functioning sump pump).
Old 07-15-2009, 10:16 AM   #10
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 07-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #11
RainMaker
General Manager

From my experience, you can try and seal as much stuff as possible, but water always seems to find a way in. Maybe not on your floor, but it'll get stuck in your walls or somewhere that you can't see. Water is a bitch.

What I did to stop flooding was just get the water away from my place. Sort of like what others here have recommended. Besides the downspouts, I raised parts of the ground near my place so everything would drain away.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:54 AM   #12
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
From my experience, you can try and seal as much stuff as possible, but water always seems to find a way in. Maybe not on your floor, but it'll get stuck in your walls or somewhere that you can't see. Water is a bitch.

What I did to stop flooding was just get the water away from my place. Sort of like what others here have recommended. Besides the downspouts, I raised parts of the ground near my place so everything would drain away.

Why not just stop making it rain so much?

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:57 AM   #13
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Why not just stop making it rain so much?

Nice
Old 07-15-2009, 11:51 AM   #14
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

you can put in a french drain if water is approaching your house from a specific direction
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:56 AM   #15
SteveMax58
College Starter

Ahem...we call them "Freedom" drains here.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:16 PM   #16
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk View Post
you can put in a french drain if water is approaching your house from a specific direction

For French drains, doesn't the water just retreat back to the origin?
Old 07-15-2009, 12:16 PM   #17
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I believe the point of French drains is to channel the water downhill, so if they're done properly they could move water away from the foundation.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:18 PM   #18
WheelsVT
High School JV

My old house in VA was a split foyer with a door to the outside on the bottom floor. Unfortunately it was lower than the backyard and the driveway which meant that a TON of water would flow right to the threshold where a drain was setup. Unfortunately, the drain would always get clogged and water would back up into the house. I remember when the hurricane "left-over" storm hit and I was out there bailing out the threshold that had water 8" above the base of the door!

Luckily, when we sold the house the inspector didn't pick up on that. and since the buyers made us replace the roof and put up money to replace the deck (which they never replaced) I get some satisfaction whenever I hear that it's pouring rain there.

Edit: I guess it was a Freedom drain that didn't work. haha

Last edited by WheelsVT : 07-15-2009 at 12:19 PM.
WheelsVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:25 PM   #19
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I believe the point of French drains is to channel the water downhill, so if they're done properly they could move water away from the foundation.

I gotta stop doing 'jokes'.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #20
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

OK, I'm embarrassed.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:32 PM   #21
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I gotta stop doing 'jokes'.