Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-22-2004, 11:44 AM   #1
hukarez
College Starter

Battlefield 1942

I've been playing a whole lot of FarCry online, though, I'm told this game is also high profile. I've never played any of these games, in fact - I'm not quite so sure if it's related to Battlefield: Vietnam, as Sharpieman brought up in another thread. Anyone happen to play this? Impressions? Worth a pick up?
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter

hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 12:23 PM   #2
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Got it for x-mas. It stayed installed on my computer for 3 days. Now I just stick to CoD and AA for my online fps.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 01:53 PM   #3
hukarez
College Starter

Was it anything in particular that kept you from enjoying the game? Gameplay wasn't up to par or the like?
tweet tweet twitter
Old 06-22-2004, 04:43 PM   #4
bamcgee
High School JV

I haven't played it for months, but as I recall it was very arcadey. Plus, I think it's harder to get a coordinated strategy going with such large maps.
bamcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 06:57 PM   #5
Eilim
High School Varsity

One knock I've read about the battlefield series (1942,Vietnam) has been its netcode is rather suspect. Can't say firsthand as I've never played it but have heard it from quite a few people who love the series but still whine about it. Seeing as they still are hopelessly addicted to the game I'd say its probably worth picking up if you have urge for it.

If your just looking for a good FPS, and have a decent computer I'd recommend UT2004. While it is a bit extreme for some people, its the best gaming value I've had in a long time. Many game modes to keep you busy and about 10+ mods/total conversions to get it into a genre you like. (My UT folder is up to 15 gigs now with all the maps and mods I've installed.)

With the single purchase and downloading the mods I've now got myself a fast paced sci-fi shooter, a realistic eastern front WWII shooter, a western (cowboys and indians) shooter, and a modern day shooter. With about 3 variations on each.

Along with that I've gotten a complete game editing suite to create my own levels and and even my own new game if I wanted (UnrealEd, and the Student version of Maya is included with the game.). And if you get the dvd version you get 50+ hours of tutorial videos on creating custom content.

Oops, started ranting... Anyways, If your looking for a specific genre fps, the battefield series (1942 or Vitenam) is a good pickup. But if your just looking for a solid first person shooter I can't help but try and pimp UT2004 to ya.
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 07:05 PM   #6
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

The thing that turned me off was the gameplay, and the initial impression of the community. Everytime I played it was the same banter,

"OMFG YOU NOOB"
"GOD YOU ARE SO STUPID YOU FAG!"

etc
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 11:07 PM   #7
Eilim
High School Varsity

To be honest, I wouldn't hold that against it. (I assume your talking about BF:1942) It seems thats the same you'll get in almost any online game nowadays.

You either need to go into the game with some friends, or try and tune out the jerks and slowly build up a list of decent players and find out what servers they play on. Also, if you do pick it up, do a search on the BF fansites for irc channels. Not sure if its the same as UT, but I'd assume so.. There are many IRC channels setup specificly to set up pick-up games and avoid the idiocy you sometimes encounter on pubs. The nice side benefit being most pick-up games tend to involve players who tend to play the games more tacticaly then the helter-skelter "arcadey" play on pubs.
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:55 AM   #8
hukarez
College Starter

Well, illinifan999 did say that Gameplay seems to be one of the other factors with BF: 1942. I've heard of the game awhile ago - and I recall some reviews stating that the single player experience was mediocre, whereas the multiplayer component was it's strength and the like.

Still, compared to Medal of Honor - is it still something that one can consider 'arcadey'? I probably should download a demo or something...
tweet tweet twitter
Old 07-06-2004, 05:17 AM   #9
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

There are a few problems with BF1942, mostly the fact the the learning curve is so steep and also that it is an arcadey type game in the sense that you really don't create a coordinated attack most of the time, even though there is teamwork in the game. I complain just as much as the next guy about anything, but its still the most addicting thing I've played since CM. The coolest thing about BF1942 is actually the mod that you can download called Desert Combat. It's the war in Iraq basically. Fun stuff. But I'd have to say if you get BF1942, don't download the mod until you're bored with the conventional version. I've played UT, and its a fun game, a lot of fun, probably better than BF, but its on steroids. Too much for me.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:41 PM   #10
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman
There are a few problems with BF1942, mostly the fact the the learning curve is so steep and also that it is an arcadey type game in the sense that you really don't create a coordinated attack most of the time, even though there is teamwork in the game. I complain just as much as the next guy about anything, but its still the most addicting thing I've played since CM. The coolest thing about BF1942 is actually the mod that you can download called Desert Combat. It's the war in Iraq basically. Fun stuff. But I'd have to say if you get BF1942, don't download the mod until you're bored with the conventional version. I've played UT, and its a fun game, a lot of fun, probably better than BF, but its on steroids. Too much for me.

It seems I need to avoid the servers that have folks constantly berating you for silly stuff. I'm no expert - the gameplay's fun, it seems. I really seem to like the concept at the least, despite the arcadey feel to it all - especially frustration with sniping and the like. Nonetheless, I suppose it's a matter of me finding the right server!
tweet tweet twitter
Old 07-26-2004, 10:43 AM   #11
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

for those pirate fans out there, a BF: Pirates mod has come out. Theres only really one active server at this point, but its really fun. YARRRR!!!
Old 08-04-2004, 03:58 PM   #12
cincyreds
High School Varsity

I have been playing BF1942 and all of the expansions. Also been playing Battlefield: Vietnam which is awesome and made by EA. I have played some of the mods like DC, DCX and Pirates and they rock!

I have been playing the BF franchise for 3 years now. It is basically the only FPS that I play.

BF2 comes out next spring.

I have enjoyed it a ton!

Last edited by cincyreds : 08-04-2004 at 03:59 PM.
cincyreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #13
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Just picked this up at a garage sale for $1 (with x-pac). Does anyone still play it? I also grabbed Medal of Honor Allied Assult with its expansion for the same price.

Last edited by fantom1979 : 07-11-2009 at 09:28 AM.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote