Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #1
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Internet radio software?

I know we've had several people do podcasting & the like, and we've also got current/former radio pros around here too, so maybe someone can point me in the right direction because I'm not thrilled with what I'm finding right so far.

What I'm looking for is some very basic scheduling software, not so much for use as actual automation (that may come later though) but more for helping generate things like multiple format/clock wheels through a simple GUI instead of trying to cobble them together by twiddling around with pie charts in Excel. Once I see what they've actually got in terms of hardware & software I'll have a better idea about what I'd be working with but I'd like to have some things here at home to make life easier when I'm just doodling & experimenting with layouts, not the actually execution of anything.

This all stems from the fact that it looks like I may be helping the adviser at my son's school with putting together their coverage -- all student generated content from cameras to announcers to production -- of high school football this coming season. They've aired both audio & video+audio for several seasons but I gather they'd like to amp up their work several notches as they go forward.

I've been there & done that with radio more times than I can remember but trying to go all the way back to the basics like "how to keep your show on time", how the programming elements fit together, when & how to schedule spot breaks, etc. ... well, I suspect all the visual aids I can muster will come in handy.

I'll know more after a lunch meeting with the guy tomorrow but based on some conversations we had last year, I suspect we'll be working with kids from 5th grade through high school and for me, trying to help someone else learn to do this stuff instead of doing it myself (which I did pretty much from about age 17 on up) will be a huge challenge. Rewarding (based on some limited experience with breaking someone into that segment of the business) but incredibly challenging for me as it goes completely against my nature.

And if anybody has some tips on how a radio-only guy has to learn to rethink things when they have to work in a TV production format, I'd welcome those on the board or through PM or by carrier pigeon. It's already hit me how much more involved the pre-production work would be, I'm sure there's stuff that hasn't even crossed my mind yet that will be an even bigger adjustment.

edit to add: I titled this thread "internet radio software" simply because I figured that niche would be where I was most likely to find something like I'm looking for as freeware/shareware, Lord only knows the broadcast oriented companies that are left ain't giving away anything free & their prices seem to still border on the absurd. This isn't something I can spend several thousand dollars out of my own pocket (or anyone else's) on.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-18-2009 at 04:39 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote