Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-17-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
MikeVic
Head Coach

Biking (bicycling)

I'm thinking of biking during the summer, just for the exercise of it. My commute to work would be too far for me, and I'd hate to be all sweaty at work.

Is anyone here a biker, and can tell me whether getting a used bike for <$100 is do-able, and whether one of those speed bikes or a mountain bike is the best bet?

Thanks.

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I used to race back in high school, but haven't done much lately. If you are going just for the exercise part of it, then a used bike would probably be the best way to go. If you are planning to get more serious and do longer organized rides (like 50 milers or 100km rides), then spending more on a decent road bike would be the way to go. If you plan to ride off road, then a mountain bike is obviously the best option. Myself, I hate riding mountain bikes on pavement.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yeah that's why I figured I should just get a cheap used bike. Is there anything else I need to know, like what size to get relative to my height?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'd say go to a place like Gord's and just ask questions, maybe try out a few bikes. Ask if they have used ones. Even if you don't end up getting the bike from there, you'll probably need a lock or a helmet or something so its worth their time to help you out.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Here's a website that has all sorts of info about bike sizing. Most of the stuff out there is focused on road bikes. I made the mistake of using the road bike figures when I bought my first mountain bike, and ended up being way too big of a frame.

CYCLING PERFORMANCE TIPS - bike sizing
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
Desnudo
Coordinator

If you're a casual rider, get a mountain bike or hybrid. A road bike would be uncomfortable and not particularly fun.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:58 AM   #7
Sgran
High School Varsity

You can absolutely get a good ride for a hundred bucks. Without more details, I would say go with a hybrid until you've established your riding habits.

This is very general advice (and assumes a basic level of research into bike brands), but my suggestion would be to scout the want-ads for a used bike for $50 or so and then immediately take the bike to a repair shop for a check-up and, for example, have the rims and tubes replaced for your other $50. I'm throwing out very general amounts (especially in Can$), but I'm confident that 100 bucks can get you a perfectly good starter.

No chance to get a shower at work? I used to get a 75-minute ride to work and back twice a week and it was great regular exercise Spring-Fall.

Last edited by Sgran : 06-18-2009 at 02:59 AM.
Sgran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:31 AM   #8
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

A bike tune-up around here costs $75+

I love my road bike. I have it primarily for commuting and you just can't beat how light they are. However, I want to get into doing long rides (I did 2 30 mile rides recently).

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote