Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-16-2009, 02:21 AM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

EA Goes Microtransaction-y with NCAA 2010?

Ugh Ugh Ugh. From the sounds of it, this has the chance to really unbalance Online Dynasties. I guess after hitting you for $60, the urge to sneak out another $15 or so in "DLC"-cheats is irrestible.

NCAA Football 10 Screenshots and Videos for Xbox 360 - Operation Sports

(Third picture down on the right)

And for more on that..

NCAA Football 10: Microtransactions in Dynasty Mode - GameSpot Sports Beat - Gaming News and Videos For Sports Video Games - Football Video Games - Baseball Video Games

It looks like NCAA Football 10 will be getting into the microtransaction game. This morning, while rummaging around the game's dynasty mode menus, I came across an option to "Add a Pipeline State" while setting up my Auburn dynasty. Clicking on that option took me to an XBL menu where, for 150 MS points (or roughly $1.87), I could add a maximum of one more pipeline state (of my choosing) to my recruitment map.

Here's the description for the "Pipeline State Addition" as it appears in the game:

"Pipeline States can help you recruit in an area while playing Dynasty Mode. After purchase you will be able to select a Pipeline State anywhere in the nation to give you another state to help you sign the top recruits. This will affect every team you control in Dynasty Mode and Online Dynasty Mode."

In addition to choosing to buy the "Pipeline State Addition" boost individually, the game menu also gives you the choice to purchase "all dynasty accelerators". Choose this option and you're taken to another XBL menu where, for 1000 MS points ($12.50), you can purchase all of the dynasty mode boosts in the game. Here's the description as it appears in the XBL menu:

"Unlocks all of the Dynasty Accelerators: Recruiting Advisor, Coaching Seminar, Toughest Places to Play Boost, School Pitches Improvements, Maximum Player Training, Pipeline State Addition, and Recruiting Reports. These will affect every team you control in Dynasty Mode and Online Dynasty Mode."

I'm a bit unclear on what some of these boosts do for you, particularly Coaching Seminar and Toughest Places to Play Boost but the effects of tools like the Recruiting Advisor, the Pipeline State Addition, and the Recruiting Reports are tangible. During a regular dynasty mode season, you'll have both Recruiting Advisor and Recruit Report menu options available to you in the main Recruiting menu. Clicking on either the Advisor or the Report option will give you the option to purchase it individually.

The Recruit Advisor will help you identify talented players who are interested in being recruited by your school. The advisor can also help more quickly unlock effective pitches for a handful of recruits each week. Here's the game's description for the Recruiting Advisor:

"While playing in Dynasty Mode (Offline or Online) your Recruiting Advisor will bring you one of the following four items every week: Information on Recruits that you can add to your Recruiting Board that you may not have known they were interested. Hints on the top Pitches for some of the Recruits on your Recruiting Board. Hints on which Prospects on your Recruiting Board are willing to listen to your pitches more than other weeks. Inside information on which Recruits will sign to your school instantly. This will affect every team you control in Dynasty Mode and Online Dynasty Mode."

Recruit Reports is a tool that lists all of the players you've recruited during the season, their position, caliber, as well as the time you've spent recruiting them via telephone. By clicking the right stick on a player, you can bring up more information on him, including his top 10 school choices, his interest level in each of the competing schools, whether or not he has received scholarship offers from other schools, and any campus visits he has planned during the season. As with the Recruiting Advisor, the option appears on the main Recruiting menu and you can purchase it individually by clicking on it. Here's the game's description of Recruiting Reports:

"It can take a lot of time and effort to see where your rivals are spending their Recruiting Time every week in Dynasty Mode. The Recruiting Reports will bring the information from the previous week. Knowing which recruits your opponent is targeting and how much time they are spending with each recruit can help you make informed decisions while spending your Recruiting Time. This will affect every team you control in Dynasty Mode and Online Dynasty Mode."

I'm awaiting clarification on what the remaining dynasty mode boosts do for you in NCAA 10, as well as if the prices listed above are final. Stay tuned.

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:28 AM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oops, I see it's being brought up in the Madden thread.. but seriously.. is this going to be the norm now?
Old 06-16-2009, 02:55 AM   #3
RainMaker
General Manager

That's ridiculous. I can understand DLC for extra teams, uniforms, and stadiums. But this is a joke.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Oops, I see it's being brought up in the Madden thread.. but seriously.. is this going to be the norm now?

I fear so. But from a game-studio POV you have to understand that it's attractive because it provides a more consistent long-term revenue stream that they can show as profit on their bottom line.

But as a consumer, yes...it's fucking ridiculous and annoying.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:09 AM   #5
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

It was pretty ridiculous on Tiger Woods this year when just a few hours after the game opened, players were scoring -27 on a round and the gamer challenges had some drives of 450+ yards. Nothing will kill casual online play faster than the need to pay for the unlocks to even finish in the top half of the day's competitions.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:12 AM   #6
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
It was pretty ridiculous on Tiger Woods this year when just a few hours after the game opened, players were scoring -27 on a round and the gamer challenges had some drives of 450+ yards. Nothing will kill casual online play faster than the need to pay for the unlocks to even finish in the top half of the day's competitions.

I agree. Though it might be a situation where they make more money with 1/4 the players if it is the 1/4 of the players who are paying for every new unlock the company can invent.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:41 PM   #7
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Guys, this is ultra realistic sim mode.

To be successful in college football you need to spend more money then your competition. So to make a player who buys DLC have an advantage in online dynasty is super cool.

Now they need to add in a feature that you can bribe the recruits with real money. $1 per player. And in online dynasty the highest bid gets the player, all the profits go directly to EA. Supposedly to bring you a higher quality product next year.

Yeah right. That's $60 that they won't get from me this year.

Last edited by Mota : 06-16-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:06 PM   #8
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Guys, this is ultra realistic sim mode.

To be successful in college football you need to spend more money then your competition. So to make a player who buys DLC have an advantage in online dynasty is super cool.

Now they need to add in a feature that you can bribe the recruits with real money. $1 per player. And in online dynasty the highest bid gets the player, all the profits go directly to EA.

And if you're tired of the competition buying players you can purchase the "Report rival school to the NCAA for recruiting violations" DLC for a mere 800 XBL points.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:02 AM   #9
Kodos
Resident Alien

Finally, if you're tired of competition, you can buy the licensing rights to leagues for 7,600,000,000 XBL points.

Last edited by Kodos : 06-17-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:07 AM   #10
Galaxy
Coordinator

I think I'll be sticking with '09.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:12 AM   #11
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yep. I'm pretty sure I've decided not to buy NCAA 2010. And if I do, it'll be used.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:19 AM   #12
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

This gives me an idea for future versions of Gridiron Greta.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:17 AM   #13
Icy
Pro Starter

Umm i underestand paying for extra content, but extra features? I hope they won't also charge you an extra for downloading the feature to be able to use your gamepad, else you can just watch the game playing itself.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:27 AM   #14
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

This makes me so fucking mad. The recruiting report thing...that should be in the game. So, now we don't get to know things we really should be able to know without paying extra? Fuck that. This just left my list of games to buy.

Edit:
Quote:
Recruit Reports is a tool that lists all of the players you've recruited during the season, their position, caliber, as well as the time you've spent recruiting them via telephone. By clicking the right stick on a player, you can bring up more information on him, including his top 10 school choices, his interest level in each of the competing schools, whether or not he has received scholarship offers from other schools, and any campus visits he has planned during the season.

This was in the game last year...at least the right click part. If we now can't see other teams interests levels without this add-on, something that was in the game last year for free, that is a real shame.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 06-17-2009 at 05:30 AM.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:03 AM   #15
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
And if you're tired of the competition buying players you can purchase the "Report rival school to the NCAA for recruiting violations" DLC for a mere 800 XBL points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Finally, if you're tired of competition, you can buy the licensing rights to leagues for 7,600,000,000 XBL points.

Both Gold

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:14 AM   #16
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
This gives me an idea for future versions of Gridiron Greta.

Personally, I think that all of your micro-transaction add-ons need to focus on the instant replay feature.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote