Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-28-2009, 07:52 AM   #1
Edward64
Head Coach

FOFC Job networking and leads

With the recent Toddzilla and Galaril threads, and with the same fear in everyone else's mind ... I wonder if it would be helpful to centralize the discussion of job networking and leads?

Although many of us would not personally refer each other as we don't know one another well, I don't think any of us would hesitate to mention that our company has something posted, or if we've seen something on monster/dice/career builder etc. If it's public info, create a post. If its private send a PM. Even if you don't have leads, you may be able to share other ideas as to how/where you went to find your job.

So the theory is to leverage our FOFC community ... better than going it alone.

How about the following standard details:
  1. Title:
  2. Timeframe:
  3. Where:
  4. Travel:
  5. W2 or Contractor:
  6. Skillset:

I'm not looking right now but my company is going through 'managed attrition' which has everyone on edge. Here are my details:

Title: IT Project Manager
Timeframe: Unknown
Where: Atlanta, GA
Travel: Yes, 100% if needed
W2 or Contractor: No preference, have done both and will accept the first offer if I am laid off
Skillset: Big 4 consulting background; have also worked in consulting boutiques; PeopleSoft HCM; functional and technical

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-28-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:24 AM   #2
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I'm not sure there is anyone looking in the field but General Dynamics (build Army tanks) is hiring six Quality Engineers in Lima, OH. I have a couple buddies that work there, one being the manager for these positions. They love working there, its tough to get in though.

Last edited by Balldog : 02-28-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
Galaril
Pro Starter

Title: IT Project Manager
Timeframe: March1 2009
Where: Denver,Co
Travel: Yes, if needed
W2 or Contractor:W2 prefered,
Experience/Skillset: 11 Years
-Big 4 consulting/auditing background
- Former Active Duty Air Force Officer (8 years)
-have also worked as an Sr. Information Security Analyst in the past .
-Worked as the IT Project Manager for a large, longterm, global telecom ITIL project.
-Information Security SME with a bunch of information security certifications and hands on ethical hacking experience.
Education/Certifcations:
Bachelors degree Criminal Justice
Master of Science: Information Security
Certifications: Certfied Information Security Manager, Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), Certified IS Auditor (CISA), Project Manager Professional (PMP), ISO 27002 Lead Auditor, GIAC-GSEC,GCIH,NSA-IAM

Last edited by Galaril : 02-28-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
Galaril
Pro Starter

I will add this is a good idea and in addition I would recommend two job search " tools" (sites):
Simply Hired.com
and
Indeed.com (IT/Technical jobs)

Both of those I found to have a lot more jobs in my field as poosed to Monster, DICE, and Careerbuilder which had a third of the jobs the others had. The reason is the two I listed are really data miners/web crawlers that search company and other job boards fr job listings and cull them together.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:47 AM   #5
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Thanks for those sites. I am seeing the writing on the wall where I work, so now is the time for me to seriously look.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Another site I like is Authentic Jobs.

I haven't announced this anywhere yet, because I tend to come from the Jim Gindin school of product announcements, but...my company is preparing to launch a new job board in about a week or so, that'll be targeted largely at 1) hackers (and other programming types) trying to find others like them to form startups or work together on projects & 2) companies looking for entrepreneurial types to employ in their firms.

The hacker finder ads are a flat fee for 10 days, because I've found when posting job ads that I find my best people usually in the first few days.

Once the site launches, I'll create a coupon code for FOFC people who are looking for jobs and you can post 1 free ad on the site in the hacker finder category, because you might not just attract people looking to start something, but people who are already established and looking for someone to help them out, too.

I'll keep you all posted for when the site launches.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:40 AM   #7
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Galaril,

With your military background, you should take a look at government jobs. I've seen a few government groups that favor hiring former military personnel. And with the stimulus package, a number of government agencies are doubling and even tripling their budgets this year.

Here's one link a friend of mine currently employed by the government sent me.

http://www.usajobs.gov/
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
Galaril,

With your military background, you should take a look at government jobs. I've seen a few government groups that favor hiring former military personnel. And with the stimulus package, a number of government agencies are doubling and even tripling their budgets this year.

Thanks. I have looked at it a number of times and in fact was hired once by MIT Lincoln Labs but was unable to take the job thanks to the security clearance. I have been out of the military long enough that my clearance is no longer active (over tens years) and since I served a long time over seas and then lived and worked there even more it is a big time and money investment by the government to do a background investigation. The real problem I was told numerous times is that with Iraq many of the agents or other representaives are busy over there and there is a year wait before an investigation couyld et completed. This is why just about every government job or company involved in fed work requires all applicants TO HAVE a security clearance comong in the door. I think once I have lived and worked in the US for 7-8 consecutive years I can avoid the overseas investigtaion since they only go back 7 years.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:34 AM   #9
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Anyone who is a Project Manager with actual PM experience (bonus if you already have your PMP) and lives in San Francisco, Chicago, St. Louis or Boston can contact me about a position at the small PM Consulting company I work for.

Although we don't intend to add positions in 2009, we are still doing interviews for attrition replacement, should it happen.

If you don't live near one of those areas but a) you're willing to travel 100% and eventually relocate and are an exceptional candidate or b) are willing to relocate (and are a good candidate), that can also work.

It's a good company, and I enjoy working here. You're a full-time employee, not a W2, and the clients are in the life sciences, food & beverage and commercial & industrial, with a range or projects from drug development, to capital projects to even an occasional IT project or two.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:42 AM   #10
Passacaglia
Coordinator

My company is hiring a very small number of positions in the Chicago area (one office on the north side, and one in a northern suburb), but is also hiring agents throughout the country -- they're running "now hiring" ads on TV in Albany GA, Cedar Rapids, Corpus Christi, Greenville SC, and a couple other cities, but are looking for people almost everywhere. It's commission-only, selling supplemental insurance (think AFLAC), but from the little I know about it, it seems like they're pretty good with giving out leads, and if you put in the time, you can do all right. I don't have any kind of "in" with the sales department or anything -- I just know that they're definitely hiring, since all their sales are made by agents in the field, and they want to expand the business. Drop me a PM if interested.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #11
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

All you damn people hiring in Chicago, tell them to open offices in the W/SW Burbs, dammit.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #12
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Amen, CW. I just can't justify 5 hours in a car driving up to the North 'burbs and back. Although I am seeing a bit of an improvement in tech jobs south. West isn't too bad like in Oakbrook, Lisle, Itasca, but need more stuff in the SW.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #13
Hannibal Lecter
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Thanks. I have looked at it a number of times and in fact was hired once by MIT Lincoln Labs but was unable to take the job thanks to the security clearance. I have been out of the military long enough that my clearance is no longer active (over tens years) and since I served a long time over seas and then lived and worked there even more it is a big time and money investment by the government to do a background investigation. The real problem I was told numerous times is that with Iraq many of the agents or other representaives are busy over there and there is a year wait before an investigation couyld et completed. This is why just about every government job or company involved in fed work requires all applicants TO HAVE a security clearance comong in the door. I think once I have lived and worked in the US for 7-8 consecutive years I can avoid the overseas investigtaion since they only go back 7 years.

depends on the level of security you get on how far back they go....It helps to have it coming in the door, but isnt always necessary (I didnt) That being said, living in CO might be a problem

But being military gives you a HUGE advntage, it took me 3 years to get converted from contractor to fed, since there were so many military people trying for the same jobs.... they get a monster bonus (gov goes by points)
Hannibal Lecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:25 PM   #14
AgustusM
College Prospect

great idea for a thread.

I have been self employed for 9 years, but the last three months have been the slowest since I started. Hoping not to have to go back and work for the man especially since it would likely be the end of my coaching career. But I am starting to feel like I ought to get my resume polished.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #15
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter View Post
depends on the level of security you get on how far back they go....It helps to have it coming in the door, but isnt always necessary (I didnt) That being said, living in CO might be a problem

But being military gives you a HUGE advntage, it took me 3 years to get converted from contractor to fed, since there were so many military people trying for the same jobs.... they get a monster bonus (gov goes by points)

I am thinking about applying for the secret clearance so at least I have it for the NEXT time I get laid off since it is sure to come some day with the nature of work in the 21st century.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #16
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
Galaril,

Not all of the Army jobs are on usajobs.gov. Go here: CPOL: Employment Index

If you are at least 30% disabled, you have a huge advantage in getting government jobs.

When you click on Search Jobs, you will see at the bottom:

Quote:
Are you a current/career conditional Federal civilian employee or do you have one of the following eligibilities:
Military Spouse/Family Member Preference (overseas only)?

Veterans' Preference?

Person separated from the armed forces under honorable conditions after 3 years or more of continuous military service?

Person with non-competitive appointment eligibility?

Current federal employee in an excepted service position covered by an interchange agreement?

Eligible for reinstatement?
You must click yes to see the internal job postings, otherwise you'll only see the jobs available on usajobs.gov. If none of the above are applicable to you, then you're better off not visiting the site.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:42 PM   #17
gstelmack
Pro Starter

We've recently opened a position for either a graphics engineer or game systems engineer (hard to describe, but think core engine stuff like threading, streaming, object architecture, etc). If anyone thinks they can do either and wants to move to the Research Triangle area of North Carolina, let me know.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:27 AM   #18
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
We've recently opened a position for either a graphics engineer or game systems engineer (hard to describe, but think core engine stuff like threading, streaming, object architecture, etc). If anyone thinks they can do either and wants to move to the Research Triangle area of North Carolina, let me know.

I would love to move there (as I have family in Raleigh), but I doubt my 4 years of self taught PHP experience would qualify me (well, maybe if you are hiring door greeters ).
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:21 PM   #19
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Had to bump this...

I am tired of traveling after 10 years it has finally gotten to me, and of course when it is a commission based position and those nice fat checks are down to what I could make managing a Wendy's it's time to look around. Basically, when I begin to survive off of my e-commerce and ebay sales, it is definitely time.

Just a jack of all trades really, however my specialty is in the training realm, all types of training really, but I can also sell, Software Sales, Sales Engineer.

Anyone know of anything? I am willing to relocate if needed.