Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-26-2009, 08:58 PM   #51
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Several fans were injured I believe.

7, including one believed to have a broken jaw.

I thought Ryan Newman's line after the race was pretty good, something like "The word Talladega means 'we're going to wreck, we just don't know when'"

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #52
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Several fans were injured I believe.

Nothing life threatening, thank the maker.

Carl Edwards wreck injures seven fans, sends two to hospital - ESPN
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:32 PM   #53
RendeR
Coordinator

That was the ugliest race I didn't actually watch. Ever.

Just watching teh higlights was freaking me out. Talk about a whole lot of drivers taking a dump in their helmets as often as possible. I love these guys and respect their ability beyond measure but holy shit there was just a huge lack of "give" in the give and take today at the 'Dega.

Sympathies to those injured in the stands, thankfully nothing serious.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:20 PM   #54
DanGarion
Coordinator

So, um what's ESPNs deal about the race over the weekend? They act like the measures in place failed, but no one died and no car ended up in the stands... where is the failure? Those fences held back a 3400 pound car going upwards of 180 mph, that sounds like a success to me.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:36 AM   #55
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

David Poole long timer writer for Thee Charlotte observer and Winston-Cup Scene passed away last night at the age of 50.

For those that didn't know Poole has been a major contributor and probably has as much to do with the sports population growth as any media member.

RIP David
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:27 AM   #56
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
David Poole long timer writer for Thee Charlotte observer and Winston-Cup Scene passed away last night at the age of 50.

For those that didn't know Poole has been a major contributor and probably has as much to do with the sports population growth as any media member.

RIP David

Indeed this is quite a loss. When I lived down there David and a number of others involved in racing were very good to me. There is a saying that once you're IN racing you're never out of it again. You become family. David and others indeed made me feel like part of their family and during that period in my life it was something very special to me. Its a shitty day.

You will be missed Dave.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:32 AM   #57
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
So, um what's ESPNs deal about the race over the weekend? They act like the measures in place failed, but no one died and no car ended up in the stands... where is the failure? Those fences held back a 3400 pound car going upwards of 180 mph, that sounds like a success to me.

Indeed. Everything NASCAR does to keep these cars from killing hundreds of people in the stands worked like a fucking charm. You'd think they would be praising the safety measures that saved SO many lives. Fucking assinine reporting IMHO.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:36 AM   #58
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

RIP David

I think I've probably been reading his work longer than any of the other NASCAR writers. He was everywhere, thatsracin.com, espn, newspapers, magazines, you name it & he probably wrote for it. And wrote well for them.

Rest In Peace David, you've sure earned it.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:47 AM   #59
spleen1015
Coordinator

Positive news is not ratings generating news.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:55 AM   #60
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Fucking assinine reporting IMHO.

Ironically David Poole disagreed. His final column called for changes to the track design

"There's ample evidence that you can't fix the car. So fix the track. Turn one end into Indianapolis with flat 90-degree turns connected by a short chute. Or do something else. Change the size. Cut the banking. Something. Anything seems better than having fans hurt and seeing a race car coming heart-in-your-throat close to flying into the stands. ... All I want is for someone to tell me what's acceptable. We apparently established Sunday that seven fans being injured – one spent the night in a hospital with a broken jaw – is OK.

It seems we've decided we can live with that much damage being done to the sport's customers for “good racing.”

How many people have to be listed in “guarded” or “critical” condition before we say that's too much? Is it lead changes? If we have fewer than five fans hurt for every lead change, is that acceptable?

Does somebody have to die before we've decided we don't have control? "

Will it take a death for Talladega to change? | www.thatsracin.com
Old 04-29-2009, 06:29 PM   #61
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

^
Dale nailed this 10 years ago.
"Take the [restrictor] plates off, block off the first 30 rows, and lets see who thee men are. There wont be no damn wrecks, because only 4 or 5 of us will be running....."
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:36 PM   #62
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Holy crap! Has anyone else seen the footage from wreck in the NASCAR Mexico race yesterday that killed Carlos Pardo? Definitely one of the worst wrecks I have ever seen. The safety inspector for that track definitely dropped the ball on the course layout.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:38 PM   #63
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Dola,

Found a YouTube video from a Mexican news program. Not for the squeamish.

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote