Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-19-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Boy Slaps Mom on Dr.Phil

YouTube - BOY SLAPS MOM ON DR. PHIL (+SUBTITLES)

I can not imagine what my mom would do to me if I ever did that to her or even gave the impression I was thinking it.

Noop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
molson
General Manager

I'm feeling like an old man lately in that every kid seems either completely out of control, or sheltered and overprotected.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
RainMaker
General Manager

What the fuck is wrong with parents these days? If I pulled that shit on my Mom, my life would have been an ever living hell.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
What the fuck is wrong with parents these days? If I pulled that shit on my Mom, my life would have been an ever living hell.

I agree with this and coupled with the beat down if I am alive my father, uncle, and brothers would give me.

Last edited by Noop : 05-19-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Noop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #5
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

Until you told someone, and someone told CPS...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #6
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Until you told someone, and someone told CPS...
Yeah, I guess it's a different era now. Sometimes a kid needs a good beatdown. I wish our society could differentiate in disciplining a child and just beating the shit out of your kid because you're a drunken idiot who has low self-esteem.

I don't even know if it would be physical from my Mom, but everything in the world I loved as a kid (Nintendo, playing sports, etc) would be taken from me for a nice long while.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #7
Klinglerware
College Starter

I like how the youtube poster takes credit for putting in the subtitles and mentions how hard it was to do them.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #8
ColtCrazy
College Starter

CPS..the ultimate threat.

I've been teaching 11 years, and I see a lot more discipline problems now. Parents don't want to discipline their children and some that do just yell at them so much. I have a neighbor whose 4 year old is really a terror, yells constantly, runs away from them when they ask him to come inside, talks back, and cusses some. They do nothing but soft toned "now, now" type stuff. It teaches them nothing.

But parents are scared to over discipline their child because of CPS (if they only knew how ineffective CPS really was)

A big mistake parents (and some teachers) make is continuing to argue with a student. You've told them once, once is enough. I double punishments if they want to continue arguing about something that I have definitive proof on.

It used to be the only kids that got into big trouble were th 4th and 5th graders. Now we have 1st graders dropping f-bombs and urinating on the playground during recess.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm not a parent yet, so I'm not sure how I'd handle those situations with the ever increasing ire of CPS. But I think one of the easier solutions would be to simply sign the kid up for a year of military school. I have a feeling just touring the school would scare them straight.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:58 PM   #10
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Now we have 1st graders dropping f-bombs and urinating on the playground during recess.

Damn, 1st graders wipping it out with an f-diddy? That’s gansta
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:58 PM   #11
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Just threaten to take away that kid's crispy creme donuts.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:17 PM   #12
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

My mom would flat killed my azz.
Even when I was a teenager, when I went to sleep she wold have beat the shit outta me with a bat or flat ass shot me....at that age she would have just commenced to beating.

Funny CPS story...I was at a freinds house and he runs a nice little mechanic business at his home. This guy was there dropping his car off and his son (probably 9-10) kept grabbing his arm and yanking him saying lets go.
The Dad said, one more time and you will get a spanking here in front of these men.
The kid immediately repeated it and the dad lived up to his word, scooped his child up and administered 3 firm but not overly so spankings.
The drama queen kid flopped on the ground and screamed Im calling DSS..... the dad picked him up whopped him 5 or 6 more times and said, good now you have a reason....

Probably wrong to some but damn it was funny
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:20 PM   #13
gstelmack
Pro Starter

My dad loves to tell the story of how he pushed his mom (who is probably half his size) ONCE, and she slapped him back and that was that. These days you try to spank a child and you're the devil incarnate.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:29 PM   #14
rowech
Pro Starter

Okay...so I agree with all of you but when you watch the follow up, you see the sister died 3 1/2 years ago and there's certainly no mention of a dad in the picture at any point so that's certainly missing as well.

The kid is wrong, but there is all kinds of other stuff going on here besides just that.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #15
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

I'm still new to the parenting thing (my girls are 3 and 1) and while the timeouts and threat of timeouts still work for the older one, I'm already doing my research into how to discipline my kids before it's too late...i.e. before they are behaving like this kid.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:37 PM   #16
ozias
High School JV

Start teaching them right from wrong at a young age. I used to count to five for my daughter when she was very young, around 2, and as she got older, about 5, I only gave her to the count of 3 to listen, or she'd get a spanking. The spanking was one backhand on her butt, but after only having to do it a few times, she learned. It was never hard, but she didn't like it, as she would tell me not to count when she did something wrong.

Last edited by ozias : 05-19-2009 at 05:38 PM.
ozias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:37 PM   #17
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Is it wrong that I want to point people to the TV show The Dog Whisperer for child disciplining tips?

Just from my observations, I'd say one of the biggest things is to have consequences for bad behavior and don't ever go back on a threat. If you threaten the loss of a toy or leaving a restaurant immediately if something bad happens again, you have to mean it. Kids learn quickly when threats are empty. They also learn quickly when they are not.

Last edited by BrianD : 05-19-2009 at 05:40 PM.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #18
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'm also very new to the parenting thing, but I've seen through friends what idle threats can do. I definitely agree that the worst thing you can do is not follow through.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:51 PM   #19
Danny
Head Coach

You have to follow through and discipline needs to come swiftly after the problem behavior. Also, make sure to reinforce good behavior, especially in problem areas.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:56 PM   #20
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Is it wrong that I want to point people to the TV show The Dog Whisperer for child disciplining tips?

Just from my observations, I'd say one of the biggest things is to have consequences for bad behavior and don't ever go back on a threat. If you threaten the loss of a toy or leaving a restaurant immediately if something bad happens again, you have to mean it. Kids learn quickly when threats are empty. They also learn quickly when they are not.

Awesome South Park episode based on this.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:56 PM   #21
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

I see it with my young niece. They make threats, but they'll either try to change the situation (by making her think of something or else or trying to get her to laugh) or they'll just give into her crying.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:08 PM   #22
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Okay...so I agree with all of you but when you watch the follow up, you see the sister died 3 1/2 years ago and there's certainly no mention of a dad in the picture at any point so that's certainly missing as well.

The kid is wrong, but there is all kinds of other stuff going on here besides just that.

Poor kid. Lots of shit needs to happen in your life to act that way. Nearly always its traumatic family relations.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:10 PM   #23
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
My mom would flat killed my azz.
Even when I was a teenager, when I went to sleep she wold have beat the shit outta me with a bat or flat ass shot me....at that age she would have just commenced to beating.

Funny CPS story...I was at a freinds house and he runs a nice little mechanic business at his home. This guy was there dropping his car off and his son (probably 9-10) kept grabbing his arm and yanking him saying lets go.
The Dad said, one more time and you will get a spanking here in front of these men.
The kid immediately repeated it and the dad lived up to his word, scooped his child up and administered 3 firm but not overly so spankings.
The drama queen kid flopped on the ground and screamed Im calling DSS..... the dad picked him up whopped him 5 or 6 more times and said, good now you have a reason....

Probably wrong to some but damn it was funny

Call the kids bluff is what I say. If he wants to sit in a foster home that most likely doesn't have half the toys and goodies that home does, so be it. Week there and the kid realizes that home wasn't so bad.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #24
Lorena
Unregistered

OK, I haven't seen the whole video nor have I read the replies, but if I ever did that to my mom, I'd get the beating of my life. Some of these kids nowadays deserve a good belting right on their bare ass.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:24 PM   #25
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AENeuman View Post
Poor kid. Lots of shit needs to happen in your life to act that way. Nearly always its traumatic family relations.

This is true

Last edited by Danny : 05-19-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:02 PM   #26
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

That was kind of a half-assed slap. The kid still deserves a punch in the face though.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:03 PM   #27
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Sounds like she deserved to be slapped if she thinks Dr. Phil is some credible authority on how to discipline her child. The fact she let it get to that point to be exploited by him shows how she has fared thus far as a parent.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:08 PM   #28
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Sounds like she deserved to be slapped if she thinks Dr. Phil is some credible authority on how to discipline her child. The fact she let it get to that point to be exploited by him shows how she has fared thus far as a parent.
I was thinking that too. If you're a shitty enough parent that you are allowing Dr. Phil to exploit your kid on national TV, you deserve much worse than a slap across the face.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:11 PM   #29
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
I was thinking that too. If you're a shitty enough parent that you are allowing Dr. Phil to exploit your kid on national TV, you deserve much worse than a slap across the face.

Yes. And no I don't condone what the kid did at all, but obviously she is utterly clueless if this what she thinks will do the trick.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:18 PM   #30
JediKooter
Coordinator

All I know is, that boy ain't dating any of my step daughters.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:37 PM   #31
SportsDino
College Prospect

I don't even know if the physical punishment is any more important than being consistent and following through. Maybe when they are so young they don't understand anything at all, but I think once a kid has at least a start to an ability to reason that you don't even need to slap them to punish them. I don't have kids though, so hell if I know!

On the other hand, I've seen people that do spank that have terrible brats for kids... because they are completely inconsistent, foolish, and mean, about how they dole out punishment and rewards. Regardless of the stimulus, it is the logic of the sequence of events that builds the child's behavior. Beating a kid is hardly bad parenting or good parenting by itself.

I would advise though if you are not sure, err on the side where the kid doesn't have the thought of attacking the mother... I'm pretty sure you have lost the game at that point.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:37 PM   #32
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

The kid was giving the mom what society should have given her for coming on a tv show.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #33
Drake
assmaster

If more kids started smacking their sassing moms earlier in life, our society wouldn't have all the problems it has today.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #34
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

QFT - Revolution!!!
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #35
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:

When my oldest son was 3, I told him, "Don't make me pull this car over!" Sure enough he carried on, and I pulled the car over on the Interstate, pulled his britches down and spanked him.

Flash forward a couple of years, I tell both of the kids the same thing. My oldest, then 5, turns to the 3 year old and starts telling him, "He'll do it, don't make him pull over! You gotta believe me!"
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:19 PM   #36
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I will never forget it...

I was 16, tormenting my 13 year old sister in the kitchen while my mom was cooking...mind you I was 5'10" 155 pounds and in great shape, my mom...5'4" and 105 if that...

She told me to knock it off, I ignored her, continued to do torment my sister to the point she left the room crying and I was laughing, being a smart ass...my mom turned to me and said I told you to knock it off...me being the smart ass I was came back with knock what off...it triggered her, she backhanded me...I was stunned and then she proceeded to pick my ass up and threw me down the stairs and told me to stay down there until I could learn to listen.

It was the last time I ever spoke back to her....
Old 05-19-2009, 09:24 PM   #37
BYU 14
Coordinator

I don't get it, I gave my Kids a total of 4 spankings between them all. (The youngest was hard headed and needed 2) Then just made it clear that the severity would escalate each time and that was good. Just the fear of what would happen if they ever did something like this little demon did kept them straight. All I ever had to do was give them a look and it was game over.

You really don't have to beat on kids, just instill enough dread in them that it keeps that fine balance of fear and respect that makes them act right.

FWIW, if I was that kid on Dr Phil and smacked my Mom live on TV it would have taken security and half the audience to pull her off...Moms didn't play that shit!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #38
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I remember I got the leather belt when I acted up when I was young. That thing hurt like crazy.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:34 PM   #39
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Old 05-19-2009, 10:08 PM   #40
SFL Cat
College Starter

My mom was a teacher, so I got the paddle. That sucker had holes drilled in it too...
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:15 PM   #41
Pyser
Pro Rookie

nice editing trick. yes, the kid slapped her, but lightly. they switched angles and took frames out to make it look much harder.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:16 PM   #42
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I don't get it, I gave my Kids a total of 4 spankings between them all. (The youngest was hard headed and needed 2) Then just made it clear that the severity would escalate each time and that was good. Just the fear of what would happen if they ever did something like this little demon did kept them straight. All I ever had to do was give them a look and it was game over.

You really don't have to beat on kids, just instill enough dread in them that it keeps that fine balance of fear and respect that makes them act right.

FWIW, if I was that kid on Dr Phil and smacked my Mom live on TV it would have taken security and half the audience to pull her off...Moms didn't play that shit!

My son is the same way. He's gotten very few spankings. Now just knowing it could happen is enough. As someone said earlier, you also have to stick by your threats. If we say we'll take something away, we will. Not bragging, but it does make you feel good that your son isn't the one throwing a tantrum on the ball field when he doesn't get his way.

But parenting is the end all. I can only do so much as a teacher. If the parent is a piece of crap, then the kid's chances go down greatly. I've seen great kids come from bad homes and bad kids come from good homes, but the general rule is bad home...bad kid.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:09 PM   #43
Lorena
Unregistered

OK, finally saw it. The kid has issues, plain and simple. He kept saying, "how does it feel to be told to 'shut up'?" "how does it feel" is all I kept hearing. I'm not condoning what the kid did at all, but I think she's far from being a victim.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:18 PM   #44
Lorena
Unregistered

Eesh, I just saw the follow up. I had a feeling she was physically abusive towards him. The look on her face when confronted says is all.. she basically lied. This will not end well:

Old 05-20-2009, 10:48 PM   #45
Drake
assmaster

Totally remove the smacking bit from your consciousness, and I was actually impressed with how effective this boy was at both verbally communicating his feelings and being aware of his emotional state. I don't think I was anywhere near that self-aware at such a young age, and even if I had been, I couldn't have expressed my emotional state with such sophistication.

I'm guessing he's had lots of years of therapy already to learn the lingo and catchphrases.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:29 PM   #46
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

There is a large difference between discipline and abuse. This looks like she abuses the kid more than disciplines him. He probably gets away with murder, then she beats the shit out of him. The kid is a mess.

I was waiting to post until my mom replied to the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "MOM" GO BLUE!!!
You can imagine how I would have responded. My first response would have been to slap back, but somehow I know that that conversation would NEVER have made it that far.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:40 PM   #47
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Totally remove the smacking bit from your consciousness, and I was actually impressed with how effective this boy was at both verbally communicating his feelings and being aware of his emotional state. I don't think I was anywhere near that self-aware at such a young age, and even if I had been, I couldn't have expressed my emotional state with such sophistication.

I'm guessing he's had lots of years of therapy already to learn the lingo and catchphrases.

Agreed.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:49 PM   #48
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
There is a large difference between discipline and abuse. This looks like she abuses the kid more than disciplines him. He probably gets away with murder, then she beats the shit out of him. The kid is a mess.

I was waiting to post until my mom replied to the video.

I'd have to agree. It's pretty clear that this mother has already destroyed this kid's self-image, if not his life. He absolutely loathes himself -- mainly because he's realized that he hates his mother and knows that isn't the way "normal" kids feel...hence, he's abnormal. He views his mother as his opponent, not his advocate (for what appear to be perfectly good reasons, mind you. Her concept of discipline seems to be random acts of violence to keep the kid on his toes). It looks to me like she expected him to be the mature adult male emotionally in their relationship -- likely because she was overwhelmed by the death of the daughter and didn't have anyone else to lean on -- then punished him when he wasn't.

The best thing that could happen to the kid at this point would be to get him out of her care and into a home where he would actually be loved, accepted and allowed to be a child. I suspect it's already way too late for that, though. The sort of damage that's already been done will take years of therapy to clean up.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:29 AM   #49
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Also, she called him dude. That is the first thing that stuck out in my mind. How can someone respect you if you are calling him dude, like he is guy you kind of know.