Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-19-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
Eilim
High School Varsity

Ping: Civil War buffs.

As mentioned in this thread, Matrix War Games, I've recently become enthralled with the old Civil War game Take Command - 2nd Manassas. As with most games based on history I tend to read up on everything I can on the subject matter. (which has lead to the purchase of quite a few bookshelves over the years. )

After availing myself of the many free resources online on the subject, I just picked up a couple books I'd seen mentioned on various forums. My current list of books I've grabbed is:

'Bloody Crucible of Courage', Brent Nosworthy
'Battle Tactics of the Civil War', Paddy Griffith
'The Civil War', Bruce Catton

I was wondering if anyone else had any good recommendations of books on the Civil War I might pick up. There are just so many books and opinions the subject, I don't know where to begin.

Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

you called?

i'll have to go home and compile a list
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
Eilim
High School Varsity

Greatly appreciated. While I originally focused on books concerning the tactics and reasoning behind them as they increased my immersion in the game, I now am just looking for 'good reads'. I've really enjoyed some of the memoirs I've been able to find online in various digital archives.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
Peregrine
Pro Starter

It's a long series, but Shelby Foote's classic The Civil War: A Narrative, is basically an essential read - he has a fantastic writing style and in covering the entire war, has so many interesting stories and anecdotes, as well as battlefield analysis. You can get it on Audible.com as well if you're interested in audiobooks. Really good stuff.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Might be obvious, but the best survey of the whole shebang from causes til the very end is Battle Cry of Freedom by McPherson.

Amazon.com: Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era: James M. McPherson: Books
Old 05-19-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
It's a long series, but Shelby Foote's classic The Civil War: A Narrative, is basically an essential read - he has a fantastic writing style and in covering the entire war, has so many interesting stories and anecdotes, as well as battlefield analysis. You can get it on Audible.com as well if you're interested in audiobooks. Really good stuff.

+3,000 or so pages. I've read the whole thing twice and have been tempted to start in again lately (been a few years since last time). Best history writing this side of Tuchman.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

There's a great book I have in my mind - I can see the cover on my bookshelf - it's basically like a collection of letters and diary entries and stuff of soldiers i think - i will go home and get the name.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Might be obvious, but the best survey of the whole shebang from causes til the very end is Battle Cry of Freedom by McPherson.

Amazon.com: Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era: James M. McPherson: Books

I bought the paperback of this about a year ago and really enjoyed it. Even better, Barnes and Noble has the hardcover illustrated version (chock full of photographs, maps, etc.) in their budget bin right now. I think I paid 14 bucks for it a couple of weeks ago.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

I just started Battle Cry on audio. Super good, i'm on hour 7 and only to 1854
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #10
Eilim
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

I saw a few of these books and quickly perused them before picking up the three I mentioned. The only reason I held off was the size of the volumes and not knowing exactly how many more there were. Now that I know there are audio book versions I'll definitely put some more thought to picking them up as my mp3 player is my constant companion for the two miles I walk to work, and then back again each day.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, please keep them coming. I'm really enjoying Bruce Catton's book. It's as described and perfect for me at this point in my Civil War exploration. A nice overview book, not going into too much depth but giving a decent accounting of the overall conflict while touching on key points.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #11
miked
College Starter

Obviously I'm biased toward the style, but the Shaara books are good...

Gods and Generals
Killer Angels
Last Full Measure