Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-21-2009, 02:33 AM   #1
SackAttack
Head Coach

Why is this DVD cabinet such a pain in the ass to assemble?

And to those of you who have kids and have bought them toys with "some assembly required" - does this ever get easier?

SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:39 AM   #2
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Just remember that panel A connects to post M using the supplied screws and allen wrenches but first you must slide the backing panel labeled C into the groves at the edge of panel B. And for the love of all things that are holy do not over tighten.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:46 AM   #3
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I just put together a small Ikea cabinet - I thought I had it all right until I finished and found that there is an exposed piece at the bottom that's the plyboard color instead of the dark wood - now I don't know if I should take the whole thing apart again.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:08 AM   #4
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Just remember that panel A connects to post M using the supplied screws and allen wrenches but first you must slide the backing panel labeled C into the groves at the edge of panel B. And for the love of all things that are holy do not over tighten.

Heh.

What's pissing me off is, "attach panel A and panel B to panel C using screws 1 and 3...and now that there isn't really enough room to get a tool in there, use these screw locks, which you need to rotate with said unusable tool in order to get them to lock into place."

it took an hour and a half, but I *think* I'm past the embaldening part and can move on to the merely frustrating.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:32 AM   #5
SackAttack
Head Coach

So there I am, lying on the floor to get a better view of the screw I'm trying to insert in a miniscule hole...and here comes this brownish-yellow bug, about an inch and a half long, with a bazillion legs.

This thing is getting finished tonight, because I sure won't be sleeping.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:07 AM   #6
SackAttack
Head Coach

2 1/2 hours later, I've got the main storage area assembled and one door attached. I still have to get the other door attached, attach the backboard, and insert the shelving.

All of that...can wait for this evening.

I am exhausted.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:04 AM   #7
Subby
lolzcat

Just use the cabinet that you built for your LaserDisc collection!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:28 AM   #8
Kodos
Resident Alien

Unless you want to display your collection for others, a better solution is to get a high-capacity CD case and shove the DVDs in that, and put the cases in a box in storage. Takes up a lot less space. I do that will all my CDs, DVDs, and game discs.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:32 AM   #9
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Speaking of kids toys and "some assembly required," stay FAR away from those plastic kitchen sets. We bought one for our girls a few Christmases ago and figured we'd set it up the night before so it would be ready on Christmas Day, and it damn near took us all night. There must have been 5,782,467 separate pieces that needed to be detached from those plastic mold things, and then the main body of it all put together, etc. It would have probably been less painful to just have a real kitchen installed for them to play with.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-21-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:50 AM   #10
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Was that a Step 2 one? The Step 2 kitchen (and two beds) I've bought went together fairly easily.

For wood furniture, anything made by Sauder has been pretty decent to put together.

Both companies have also been great the time or two I've been missing a part or something. When we put together a Step 2 kitchen on Christmas Eve, one part didn't fit. I e-mailed them that night, and a week later found a box with a whole new assembly on my front porch...
Old 04-21-2009, 11:04 AM   #11
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

We bought these -

http://www.target.com/Oak-Media-Stor...cabinet&page=1

No assembly required beyond putting the shelves in.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #12
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

If it's your ass that is sore from assembling it, maybe you're doing it wrong

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #13
Crim
College Benchwarmer

I'll tell you what -- we're gonna have to go ahead and get that man card from ya, Sack. Those cabinet dealies pretty much come with instructions, and generally require at most a Phillip's head screwdriver and maybe a hammer (just to nail the backing on).

Maybe just save the project for when you'll have some help putting it together, like at your next tea party, say, or when you're hosting a baby shower for one of your girlfriends. Idunno, a Pampered Chef party or something?

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #14
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
I'll tell you what -- we're gonna have to go ahead and get that man card from ya, Sack. Those cabinet dealies pretty much come with instructions, and generally require at most a Phillip's head screwdriver and maybe a hammer (just to nail the backing on).

It did come with instructions, yup.

Parts were labeled...mostly. Some were not, which meant I got to do a little detective guesswork to figure out what the unlabeled stuff was.

Even the little plastic bags that explode everywhere and force one to go on a screw-and-shit-hunting expedition, that wasn't so bad.

It's the fact that I started assembly at 1:30 in the morning, and it took until 5 in the morning just to get it *mostly* assembled, but the directions are so fucked up that they tell you to put parts A and B together, and then attach part C to them, even though, whoops, you don't really have enough room to get the philips head in there, and now you get to get CREATIVE.

Stuff like that.

I didn't say it was hard, I said it was a pain in the ass.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:58 PM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
does this ever get easier?

Technically I think yes is the answer.

It's apparently after they move out and far enough away that you don't have to assemble the grandchildren's stuff.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:05 PM   #16
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Technically I think yes is the answer.

It's apparently after they move out and far enough away that you don't have to assemble the grandchildren's stuff.

Thanks. I needed the laugh!
Old 04-22-2009, 12:35 AM   #17
SackAttack
Head Coach

Took an hour and a half tonight to go with the 4 or 4 1/2 last night, but this motherfucker is finally finished.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:00 AM   #18
Kodos
Resident Alien

I always dump all the screws in a bowl so they don't disappear. We have a lot of Ikea stuff around the house.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:23 PM   #19
SackAttack
Head Coach

So one of the two DVD towers I brought with me from California fell over with a horrific crash last night and spilled its contents across my bedroom.

Went out and bought another media storage rack this afternoon. Same company as the last one, although it's not a cabinet. Fewer pieces to assemble, so I'm hoping I can get it put together in less than six hours this time.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:47 PM   #20
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Some people never learn

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:58 PM   #21
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Time to buy a case of beer and call a buddy/family member with handyman skills.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:33 PM   #22
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Some people never learn

SI

Yeah, well, shows what YOU know.

The last one had two doors, each with two sides, a top, a bottom, a back, and a handle that needed to be assembled, plus eight pegs and four shelves each.

It had a main center piece with two sides, a top, a bottom, a back, three shelves and six pegs.

It had six hinges that were necessary to attach the doors to said center piece.

By my count, that's 26 pieces of wood product that needed to be assembled one way or another.

This one is a mere fifteen, and has no hinges or doors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Time to buy a case of beer and call a buddy/family member with handyman skills.

I thought the case of beer was part of the assembly process.

The pieces are arranged on the floor, and I begin roughly now'ish. Target time of completion: before 5 am.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:15 AM   #23
SackAttack
Head Coach

Finished, except for the shelving, but it didn't really take me 2:45 as the timestamp would imply.

I took probably an hour's worth of breaks to deal with some online stuff, but it took me longer than it should have because I put a piece on backwards.

Three times.