Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-13-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
MikeVic
Head Coach

BBQs

Just a quick question... I need to buy a BBQ. Was planning on propane because although charcoal has more flavour, I've heard it takes a lot longer to BBQ...

Anyway, is there a benefit to getting a decent BBQ... if so, any brands/models? WalMart has some basic BBQ for like $89 and that would fit nicely with my budget... but if it's beneficial to get something for like $200...? Then maybe I need to do that...

Thanks in advance.

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

There is definitely a benefit to getting a nicer BBQ. I had a crappy $100 Zellers propane BBQ for years, and I was constantly burning things. The heat was never even, the cooking area was small, and eventually the grates just fell apart. My wife also had a similar crappy one and it had similar results.

Last summer after those both had crapped out we finally bought something new. We got a good deal at end of season (mid-to-late August) on a propane BBQ from Canadian Tire. It was about $250 I think, but it was worth every penny. It has a larger surface and 3 burners, along with ceramic grates. Everything cooks so much more evenly, it is just night and day.

Now, if the extra money is a big issue, you can certainly get by with the cheaper models (I went like 7-8 years with mine). I don't ever remember thinking that my life was terrible because I would burn steaks if I wasn't paying 100% attention. That said, if you can afford it, you do get value for that extra cash.

Just my $0.02
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I think I purchased a Kenmore brand from Sears about 3 years ago. It's super nice. I forget how it cost.

The one thing I would consider, however, is the side burner. For some reason, I was convinced that I needed one, so I never looked at any models without. In the three years I have owend the BBQ, I have never once used the side burner.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Start here.

There's definitely an advantage to paying a little more for a good grill. Cheaper grills will fall apart quicker and, critically, may not heat/cook evenly, which will really screw you up.

I'm a bit of a Weber fanboy, so take my recommendation with a grain of salt, but for a gas grill, based on your requirements, I'd definitely recommend one from their semi-portable "Q" line. We have charcoal now, but will probably get a "Q" this summer for "quick" grills (i.e. fish, vegetables).

Regarding start-up times: If you use a chimney starter, you'll have coals ready for grilling in about 30 minutes. Bearing in mind that even with gas you need the grill to get up to an even temperature (i.e. heat up all interior surfaces), you might be looking at 10-20 minutes, depending on the gas grill. So in the end the time differential is 10-20 minutes before you're ready to grill. It's a judgment call.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

In the interest of full disclosure, I am a charcoal fanboy.

Charcoal takes time to heat, but if you use a chimney starter, it does not take that long. When time is a bit more of an issue, I tend to start the coals while I am still prepping other things, so it isn't really wasted time. When time isn't an issue, I love drinking a beer or two while watching the coals heat. That's really why I grill.

If your comment about taking longer had to do with the heat of the fire itself, it does not matter. Both gas and charcoal will get as hot as you need.

That said, charcoal does not really give you more of a flavor in itself. For that, you need to smoke something for some length of time. Smoking is easy on a charcoal grill b/c you can just put some wet wood directly on the coals. It isn't, however, that hard on gas. You just need to put wet wood chips in a foil pack with holes poked in the top and put that on the flames.

If you intend to never put the top down, then I don't think that flavor will differ between charcoal and gas.

I would say that if you plan to do any indirect cooking--be it smoking or just something that takes longer like whole chickens--you want a grill with a tempature gauge.

Basically, if you see this as cooking that you are doing outdoors, then gas will work. If you see yourself maybe getting into grilling/bbq/smoking as a bit of a hobby, then you might want to look at charcoal a bit more. I think that one can have a lot more fun with it just in terms of it being a bit more art than science.

And, for the price that you can get an average propane grill, you can get a kickass charcoal grill.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:19 AM   #6
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

albion makes excellent points, especially:

Quote:
Basically, if you see this as cooking that you are doing outdoors, then gas will work. If you see yourself maybe getting into grilling/bbq/smoking as a bit of a hobby, then you might want to look at charcoal a bit more. I think that one can have a lot more fun with it just in terms of it being a bit more art than science.

Just as an aside, those who are basically just looking to cook outside and get a gas grill are those who will end up getting one of those multi-burner zillion BTU gas grills that are basically like having a 6-burner range & oven, just outside. They'll have parties where they cook five million burgers and brats, with some saucepans for their homemade bbq sauce on the side, and some grilled veggies for extras.

Those who are basically looking to get into the smoke/bbq/slow aspect and get a charcoal grill are those who will end up with a weird collection of various smokers, like water smokers, barrel smokers, offset smokers, and maybe a wood-burner grill as well. They'll have parties where people come over to sample the 15-pound brisket/ribs/shoulder/etc that they stayed up overnight to smoke, with some beans made by throwing a cast-iron skillet with them in the smoker at about 4-6 hours to go.

I could go on....
Old 05-13-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Some thoughts on things a couple guys have brought up:

- side burners are not really important. I have one on the new grill and it just doesn't work very well. If it's too windy out the flame doesn't produce much heat. It's ok for mushrooms or something, but doesn't work well for boiling a pot of corn on the cobs for example.

- temperature guage is useful. Again, my new BBQ has one of those, and it's nice to be able to tell when it's nice and hot inside. I don't have any kind of scientific "it must be X degrees to cook meat Y" formulas, but I have gotten to know what range works well for hot dogs versus chicken versus steak, for example. Also, if the propane runs out it helps me notice quicker
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:36 AM   #8
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

is BBQ = grill a Canadian thing?

we've always done charcoal. when I looked to replace our old Weber grill last year, I had a hell of a time finding one.

this is what we went with
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...b&ddkey=Search

very happy. haven't used it as a smoker yet, but we will

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 05-13-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #9
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I use "BBQ" and "Grill" interchangeably, but they are really two separate things. BBQ is really a type of cooking that revolves around slow cooking and some sort of smoking, while grilling is really a type of cooking over an open flame. To speak in broad generalities.

Having a built-in temperature gauge is a great thing, but if you don't have it (like I don't) there are plenty of options for add-on gauges.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #10
Galaril
Pro Starter

I too am looking for a gas grill for our deck that will be outside all year round here in Colorado and am lookijg to keep the price under $350 range. Most likely want 3-4 burners. I guess we are looking at alumimun since it will be outside all year even though covered when not in use. I have seen the ones at Lowes "Char-Broil" and am wondering if anyone has experience with this brand at all. Weber is a bit out of our price range for the type we want.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:48 AM   #11
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Again, this is a really great site for getting started on reviews. I have never thought very much about Char-Broil quality, but I'm sure there are people who like them just fine.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #12
path12
Coordinator

I think a brand name for any kind of cooker that has "Char" in it represents a poor marketing decision.

Last edited by path12 : 05-13-2009 at 12:33 PM.
path12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #13
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I use "BBQ" and "Grill" interchangeably, but they are really two separate things. BBQ is really a type of cooking that revolves around slow cooking and some sort of smoking, while grilling is really a type of cooking over an open flame. To speak in broad generalities.

to me, a BBQ is an event where people show up and eat food that's been cooked on a grill.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #14
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
I use "BBQ" and "Grill" interchangeably, but they are really two separate things. BBQ is really a type of cooking that revolves around slow cooking and some sort of smoking, while grilling is really a type of cooking over an open flame.

Depends on geography I think.

Grew up in central New York, and "barbequed" meant cooked over direct heat (i.e. fast) and outdoors. So did grilled. There were no such things as smokers, as slow, low temperature cooking was done in a device called the "crock pot."

Moved to Tulsa, and was rapidly and forcefully educated in the distinction between the two.

In northern VA, the two schools of thought regarding the two words was a mixed bag, depending on where the speaker was from (noone being FROM northern VA).

I find it much easier to use "grilled" as meaning cooked quickly over direct heat, "smoked" to mean cooked slowly over indirect heat, and "barbeque" to mean a social event where food is somehow cooked outside then eaten and beer is consumed.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:38 PM   #15
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Regional/Dialect Difference? ("Barbecue" vs "Cookout" vs. "Grilling") - Front Office Football Central
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:26 PM   #16
MikeVic
Head Coach

Thanks guys.

I looked at that review site linked and then wanted to check the sites of some Canadian stores here for availability first... homedepot.ca had a decent-looking Weber listed, but it seems a bit on the small side...

Weber - Weber Q 100 - 386002 - Home Depot Canada

Also, I would be doing this more for cooking right now. Maybe eventually I'll be interested in the entire BBQing aspect, but right now I'm pretty impatient with making food.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:48 PM   #17
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

The Q 100 is small (it's primarily intended to be a portable grill) and uses non-refillable propane bottles, but if you're grilling for just two people and just starting out, it should do the trick. You may want to get some sort of cart/table to put it on when you're grilling.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #18
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
There is definitely a benefit to getting a nicer BBQ. I had a crappy $100 Zellers propane BBQ for years, and I was constantly burning things. The heat was never even, the cooking area was small, and eventually the grates just fell apart. My wife also had a similar crappy one and it had similar results.

Last summer after those both had crapped out we finally bought something new. We got a good deal at end of season (mid-to-late August) on a propane BBQ from Canadian Tire. It was about $250 I think, but it was worth every penny. It has a larger surface and 3 burners, along with ceramic grates. Everything cooks so much more evenly, it is just night and day.

Now, if the extra money is a big issue, you can certainly get by with the cheaper models (I went like 7-8 years with mine). I don't ever remember thinking that my life was terrible because I would burn steaks if I wasn't paying 100% attention. That said, if you can afford it, you do get value for that extra cash.

Just my $0.02

don't have anything to add to teh whole BBQ vs grill vs cooking debate but I wanted to say I thought it was seeing store names like Zellers and Canadian Tire felt sorta strange, in a very familiar kinda way.

FM
Old 05-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #19
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
The Q 100 is small (it's primarily intended to be a portable grill) and uses non-refillable propane bottles, but if you're grilling for just two people and just starting out, it should do the trick. You may want to get some sort of cart/table to put it on when you're grilling.

Non-refillable! Aww. I don't know, that might make me shy away. I don't think I can afford a recent Weber one then. Might have to browse a bunch of reviews to find a decent cheaper alternative. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2009, 07:18 PM   #20
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Several years ago for Christmas my wife bought me a Weber gas grill, the Genesis Silver 2-burner model. The quality of that grill is fantastic. I am not in need of a new grill (although a 3-burner model would help more with indirect grilling) but if I was I would get another Weber. For me, definitely worth the extra money.

It looks like that smaller Genesis line has been replaced by the Spirit models. like the E-210. About $400, so not cheap, but likely worth it IMO.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:28 PM   #21
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Non-refillable! Aww. I don't know, that might make me shy away. I don't think I can afford a recent Weber one then. Might have to browse a bunch of reviews to find a decent cheaper alternative. Thanks!

I have a Q230 just for tail gating and camping trips etc.
Its great and you can usually cook 3-4 meals on the small green propane cylinders (which are $2 each) or 10-12 on the longer ones which are like $10.

it produces as good result as my large stainless steel home gas grill
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote