Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-03-2005, 07:58 PM   #101
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I was surprised today when I was looking up some info on my old hometown of Harrisburg, Arkansas. They played Warren HS in the playoffs this year (Harrisburg lost).

Losing stinks, but at least they lost to a team with a player going to UT.

Ricardo Kemp, just 5-11 and 175lbs (which is still bigger than me), had 106 receptions for 1,936 yards and 22 touchdowns. The guy also played some tailback and added 326 yards with 10 touchdowns on 48 carries.

It reminds me of playing back in Harrisburg when we played Nettleton High School (Jonesboro). They're best player was 5-6, 140lbs. That little guy was their best receiver and scored the only touchdown of the game. We lost, 7-0.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:32 PM   #102
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea
If Jason Gwaltney is half as good at football as he is at marketing himself he'll be a superstar. He has basically purposely built the suspense, and in the process made himself a bigger name. I thought he was genuinely confused about his choice until he lied to the recruiting services about being in WV this weekend. Kind of strange, but we'll (WVU) still take him.

Gwaltney is officially done at WVU. He will not enroll next semester.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #103
Cuckoo
College Starter

Saw this on another board and thought it was worth a notation here...

Star-Crossed Top Recruits of 2005 More Likely to Be Arrested Than Drafted -- NCAA Football FanHouse

Out of 28 players ranked as 5 star guys by Rivals in the 2005 class, 11 were drafted and 14 were arrested.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #104
Klinglerware
College Starter

I thought this was going to be about Paulus moving on to Syracuse to play football...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #105
Logan
Head Coach

Re-reading this thread is excellent support for how the star system and rankings mean very little.

I recognized like 10 names.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #106
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Re-reading this thread is excellent support for how the star system and rankings mean very little.

I recognized like 10 names.

True. But with that said, a 39% chance of eventually getting drafted if you are a "5 Star" HS recuit seems pretty decent actually...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:56 PM   #107
Logan
Head Coach

Well I was talking about the recruits as a whole, not just the top kids. But if you're a 5* guy who isn't a 1st round pick, and you haven't gotten hurt, you've underperformed and most likely your school has been disappointed by what they got out of you.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:10 PM   #108
Tigercat
College Starter

Boy, Nic Harris proved me (and Nick Saban) wrong. His limited speed wouldn't have been a good fit at safety for every team, but he certainly saw plenty playing time at safety for Oklahoma!

Perrilloux should have never stayed home with the kind of bad influence he had around here. Les Miles did all he could to counteract that though, I think Ryan just had to totally fail to even begin to see the light.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #109
Swaggs
Coordinator

Looking back at WVU's class, only 16 of 32 players made it all the way through (either graduated last season, left early for the NFL, or are RS seniors this season).

Using scout.com ratings:

Jason Gwaltney was the only 5-star and he only played his true freshman season. He got injured midway through, quit going to class, and quit. He bounced around at some community colleges, came back for a semester to WVU (but was too far behind to get himself eligible), and, last I heard, was playing at Hampton (I believe) last season. He got more pub from this thread than for his football playing at WVU.

Only two 4-star guys and they were both kickers (the #1 rated PK and P in '05). Pat McAfee was our placekicker and kick off man for four seasons and also became the punter midway through his sophomore year, won a number of awards and honors, and was drafted by the Colts in this draft. Scott Kozlowski, a punter, redshirted during his first season, started the next season as the first-team punter, shanked a few kicks, got into Rod's doghouse, lost the job to McAfee, didn't play for 3.5 years, but stuck around and is our punter going into the '09 season.

We had nine 3-star guys. The biggest surprise out of the group was clearly Steve Slaton, who was sort of an afterthought to Gwaltney, but ended up winning the starting RB job midway through his true freshman season, became an All-American his sophomore year, had a productive but not spectacular season his junior year, left early for the NFL, and rushed for over 1,000 yards as a rookie for the Texans. The only other notable guys in this group are Jarret Brown, who had to back up Pat White for 3 seasons but has won a handful of games for us with White out, and Nate Sowers, and in-state kid that came in as a QB but successfully transitioned to safety. A handful of kids are still around for one more season that will probably get some extra playing time this season, but just as many didn't qualify, quit, or got the boot.

A couple of interesting tidbits:
Marquis Melvin was a kid that made a late switch to WVU from Duke. He arrived on campus, practiced for a few days, and then quit to pursue a music career.

Scooter Berry is Jason Gwaltney's half-brother and many folks thought he got an offer just to entice Gwaltney into committing. Berry came in as a FB/LB, but bulked up during a greyshirt year and a redshirt year and became a defensive linemen. He has started for two seasons and has two remaining. He has began to get a little bit of national recognition for his football play (and he also got a lot of attention for the "Dingle-Berry" picture of him and teammate Johnny Dingle that has made the rounds on the internet).

I also count 7 players from this class that got into at least some type of legal trouble. From DUIs, to marijuana possession, to theft, to armed robbery. I am hopeful that the Bill Stewart era will yield a whole lot less of this than the Rich Rodriguez era did.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:26 PM   #110
Swaggs
Coordinator

Dola to add...

Oddly, as undistinguished as that class sounds, they have won 2 BCS games, 2 Big East titles, 4 consecutive bowl games, and achieved the first #1 poll ranking in WVU history.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #111
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Boy, Nic Harris proved me (and Nick Saban) wrong. His limited speed wouldn't have been a good fit at safety for every team, but he certainly saw plenty playing time at safety for Oklahoma!

Yeah, and he was a very solid player - good in-the-box hitter. But you have been somewhat proven right in that he was drafted as a linebacker by Buffalo and will have to play there in order to make it at the next level.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:48 PM   #112
Cuckoo
College Starter

Overall, not too bad of a class for OU that year. DeMarcus Granger did his part to contribute to the 14 noted above, getting arrested for shoplifting a coat in frigid Glendale, Arizona two years ago at the Fiesta Bowl. He hasn't lived up to expectations and has had back problems but is still on campus and is a good run-stuffer when healthy. Curtis Lofton, Malcolm Kelly and Reggie Smith left early and were drafted. Nic Harris, Iglesias and Duke Robinson were drafted this spring (Cooper and Johnson signed as UFAs), and several guys are still on campus and could be key for this season (English, Reynolds, Granger, Jackson). Only major busts I see were Eric Huggins, Jesse White and Lamont Robinson.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:48 PM   #113
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Don't understand why we picked up 5 linebackers... the three top 10 guys were nice (Maualuga, Cushing and Brown) but with scholarships limited, could have used help at other positions rather than Ellison and Maiava.

hehehe... moron

Ellison turned out to be a stud safety, and Maiava was arguably the best (certainly the most reliable and disciplined) linebacker out there last year

Last edited by bhlloy : 05-14-2009 at 03:48 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:23 PM   #114
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
hehehe... moron

Ellison turned out to be a stud safety, and Maiava was arguably the best (certainly the most reliable and disciplined) linebacker out there last year

Even though I don't think I posted in this thread, I remember having similar thoughts.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:08 PM   #115
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Kevin Grady just was put in jail for 7 days today for violating probation. He was UM's lone 5* in 05.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote