Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Ping: FOFC Tourism and Travel Agency - London and Paris Bureaus

My wife and I are planning to take a trip to London somewhere around September 16 through September 23/24. We found a package deal on US Airways (We'd rather Virgin Atlantic ) with the Thistle Kensington for a decent price. Anyone know anything about the Thistle Kensington? We might just pony up for Virgin Atlantic, but the tickets alone are close to the 6 nights in the package.

We've also considered VA + 7 nights in a hostel. Or perhaps looking around for a better hotel deal.

Anyway. First, any other thoughts on getting there/staying there? Second, recommendations on what to do there? I found some old London threads and I'm reading through those, but it doesn't look like there has been one since 2007.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000

Last edited by lordscarlet : 05-11-2009 at 01:08 PM.
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Dola: The other threads look much like the recent DC thread. Basically, "what do you like?"

First, we like to pretty much plan 3-4 things to do for a week long stay. That gives us some leeway to just enjoy ourselves. We like historical buildings, taking amateur photography of said buildings, signage and statues. We like food (my wife is vegetarian). We like tea. We enjoy "activies" (such as suggesting someone ride the paddle boats in the tidal basin by the National Mall). Umm.. I will think of more. Oh, we also just enjoy getting the feel for local neighborhoods. Walking around, going to cafes, whatever the residents of a town would do.

Crap, gotta change the title because we'll probably also take the train to Paris for a day trip.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Double Dola, from my wife: "oh, and ask if there's anything to see/any good places to eat in the brick lane area"

Old 05-11-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

LS, my sister in law lives in London. If you want PM me a list of questions you may have and I can email them to her.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
ColtCrazy
College Starter

You probably know all the key sites to see. Tower Bridge, Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's Cathedral, etc. Do all those, take your pics...you'll love it.

I DEFINITELY recommend a tour. If the weather is good, I would do a double decker bus tour with an open top bus. Also, if you want something off the wall, do a Duck tour. It's the Duck (sp?) type boats/trucks. They hit some sites on the road, then get on the Thames by the MI-6 headquarters then go up the river a little bit. Definitely a unique experience.

I've never done it because I hate heights, but doing the London Eye would be worth it too.

If you like museums, the British Museum, the War museum, and the Natural History museum are great. Some lesser known museums are great as well (recently redesigned Transportation museum, and the Observatory at Greenwich).

As for food, I can't help you. I've been to London tons of times, but always ate quick bites since I usually left the city by nightfall. Just eat some curry while you are in England. mmmmm...

Hope this helps.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

duck tours are fun. I can't speak for the one in England, but they generally are good to do early in your vacation because they often touch on other things you may wanna chack out.

I have also heard the Jack the Ripper tour is fun.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I haven't even been on the Duck Tour in the city I live in. I hear it's good, though, so I should check it out.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #8
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

What's a duck tour?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:19 PM   #9
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Amphibious vehicle that drives around the city and then goes into the river.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:19 PM   #10
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Washington DC Land and Sea Tours. The DC Ducks Tour of Washington D.C.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #11
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Yeah, Duck tours and the open top bus tours are good early things to do.

I'm hoping I get this right direction wise, but it's a nice walk along the Thames too where the duck tour starts (where the Eye is). Lots to see along there and the walkway stays close to the river.

Another very neat side trip is the Cabinet War Rooms....seeing Churchill's underground bunker. Very interesting if you like history.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:07 PM   #12
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
When I lived in London, I lived in South Kensington. It is on the west side of central London, and a very nice area A few of the museums that ColtCrazy mentioned are close, namely the Natural Science and the Victoria and Albert Museum. Everything else is a short tube ride away. The cool thing about the national museums is that they are absolutely free. Look to pick up a week long pass for the tube. It will be money well spent. It should cover the buses as well.

There was a London Dungeon museum that was pretty cool, as was the WW2 Experience that was next to it. If I can find it again, I'll send a website where you can advance tickets for most of the big attractions. The lines can be pretty long. I'm sure it saved me a couple of hours of line waiting just at the Tower of London.

As for the places to eat, I didn't spend much time in the East End, so can't recommend anything in the Brick Lane area. There are tons of great places in the Piccadilly Circus/Chinatown area, and the original Hard Rock Cafe is close to Hyde Park Corner.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #13
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Dola,

As for Paris, if you are planning on making a day trip, your only option to do it in a single day will be the Eurostar. Even then, the last train in the evening leaves fairly early, 6pm if I remember correctly. You end up at the Gare du Nord station, and from there most of the main tourist sites are a short Metro ride away, like the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame, etc. Only a day won't give you a lot of time to see much except the "check off" places. With more time, Versailles is a great place to venture out to see.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote