Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-29-2009, 07:44 PM   #1
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Ping: NJ Residents

I'm in Vernon on business. Am I allowed to pump my own gas?

/tk

terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

No.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Heh, I would have told you no on twitter, but I assumed you got a bunch of 'no' responses already.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

But unlike in Oregon, you shouldn't have to wait months for someone to pump your gas. I swear, Oregon does an awful job with their full-service stations. Jersey has it right.

And if you decide you're going to run for Governor and want to try to lift the ban? Prepare to be rebuffed quickly.

Quote:
During an ill-fated excursion to the Pine Barrens in a 2001 episode of ''The Sopranos,'' Paulie Walnuts is shown pumping gasoline on the Garden State Parkway. Fans howled about the faux pas because there is no such thing as self-serve gas in New Jersey -- and as Gov. Jon S. Corzine found out the hard way last week, there probably never will be.

A little more than a week ago, Mr. Corzine proposed a pilot program as part of a package of proposals intended to cushion motorists from the sting of rising gas prices, with the rationale that self serve is usually a nickel or so cheaper than full service in other states.

As pilot programs go, it was the equivalent of baby steps: for three months, motorists would be given the self-serve option at stations that would continue to offer full service, starting on the New Jersey Turnpike, where a good number of drivers are from out of state, and therefore accustomed to getting out of their cars to pump gas.

But within minutes of that suggestion, the political switchblades came out. Assemblyman John S. Wisniewski, a Democrat from Middlesex County who is chairman of the Transportation Committee, blasted the idea. So did Senator Joseph F. Vitale, also a Democrat from Middlesex, who is chairman of the Health Committee. He called self service ''discriminatory'' and said that it would ''only benefit oil companies making a killing at the pump.''

The next day, Assemblyman Alex DeCroce, a Republican from Morris County who is the minority leader, said ''senior citizens don't need the hassle of trying to pump their own gas, especially at night.'' And later, in perhaps the most fatal of blows, Assembly Speaker Joseph J. Roberts Jr. criticized the idea as well.

Over the weekend, Mr. Corzine heard it directly from the masses at the Shad Festival in Lambertville, and even at the National Darfur Rally in Washington. The issue provoked such visceral outrage, in fact, that Mr. Corzine told reporters and editors in Trenton on Tuesday that his office had received 1,400 phone calls and e-mail messages, most of which were critical of the idea.

And what about the response to his proposal to increase the sales tax from 6 to 7 percent? Only 200 responses.

''This is not a fight that you want to take to the death,'' Mr. Corzine said in backing off from the pilot program.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:20 PM   #5
Ironhead
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I'm in Vernon on business. Am I allowed to pump my own gas?

/tk

Nope. Don't expect the attendants to be particularly nice or prompt.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
Nope. Don't expect the attendants to be particularly nice or prompt.

See, this is where I got confused! The guy wasn't particularly prompt but then seemed ready to let me go pump my own. I couldn't remember the rule and really wasn't ready to get yelled at (got slightly lost trying to get to where I am), so just let him do it but it threw me..

/tk
Old 03-29-2009, 08:33 PM   #7
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Welcome to Jersey. We have people to pump our gas and we pay less than other states where you have to pump your own.... and some boneheads want to mess with this system...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:35 PM   #8
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

How do you like Vernon? I like it up in that area. It's not North Jersey in the annoying New Yorker sense.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:38 PM   #9
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
How do you like Vernon? I like it up in that area. It's not North Jersey in the annoying New Yorker sense.

Seems like a really quiet town when ski season is done. Then again, so far today while here I've been cut off more than I was when leaving Virginia and got very lost in the grocery store.

Oh, and a wicked thunderstorm blew through while I was attempting to sleep a bit before going into work this evening.

I think I'll like it, once I've calmed down from the events of today. I'll be here for 2 weeks, tomorrow's goal is to find a gym, since apparently I can't use the gym at the main hotel for the condo I'm staying in.

/tk
Old 03-29-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Seems like a really quiet town when ski season is done. Then again, so far today while here I've been cut off more than I was when leaving Virginia and got very lost in the grocery store.

Oh, and a wicked thunderstorm blew through while I was attempting to sleep a bit before going into work this evening.

I think I'll like it, once I've calmed down from the events of today. I'll be here for 2 weeks, tomorrow's goal is to find a gym, since apparently I can't use the gym at the main hotel for the condo I'm staying in.

/tk

Are you staying near the lodge? Took the family up there for vacation last summer and stayed there, it's a nice quiet place. I used to go skiing there all the time when I was growing up, my parents had a small house about a half hour away that we used to go up to several times during the year and especially ski season.

I always get ragged on by my friends for my choice of drink (I like sweeter drinks) but I found a diner, of all places, up there that makes the best Strawberry Dacquaries (at least in the summer as they use fresh strawberries). It's in Newton, probably about 15-20 miles away from Vernon.

There's a decent barbeque place up there named Falls View (not sure where the view is supposed to be at). It looks like a dump but the barbeque was pretty good.

Another decent little place was The Vernon Inn which had good food and live entertainment.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #11
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Are you staying near the lodge? Took the family up there for vacation last summer and stayed there, it's a nice quiet place. I used to go skiing there all the time when I was growing up, my parents had a small house about a half hour away that we used to go up to several times during the year and especially ski season.

I always get ragged on by my friends for my choice of drink (I like sweeter drinks) but I found a diner, of all places, up there that makes the best Strawberry Dacquaries (at least in the summer as they use fresh strawberries). It's in Newton, probably about 15-20 miles away from Vernon.

There's a decent barbeque place up there named Falls View (not sure where the view is supposed to be at). It looks like a dump but the barbeque was pretty good.

Another decent little place was The Vernon Inn which had good food and live entertainment.

I'm in a condo in Black Creek Sanctuary. It's not bad. I'll have to check out those places, if any of them are open this time of year. Thanks for the heads up.

/tk
Old 03-29-2009, 09:13 PM   #12
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just dont go here

Action Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:14 PM   #13
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- I grew up in Jersey and used to wonder why anyone would want to pump their own gas. Now that I have lived out of state for several years I hate going home to visit and having to wait ten minutes for someone to come help me.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:46 PM   #14
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

It wasn't that bad... My first trip to "third base" was there...
Old 03-29-2009, 09:52 PM   #15
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I don't understand why full service is cheaper in Jersey than self serve out of state. What did I miss?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:40 PM   #16
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I don't understand why full service is cheaper in Jersey than self serve out of state. What did I miss?

Ton of oil refineries are in north Jersey. That makes the price of gas cheaper. It would probably be even more cheaper if there was self-serve, though.

Remember, NJ was the main base of refining operations of Standard Oil.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 03-29-2009 at 10:42 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:41 PM   #17
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

State gas tax is lower than in most other states (I think) is one reason. Another is that there are a lot of refineries, so it cuts down on the cost of transportation.

List of certain taxes by state, including gas tax (Jersey seems to be 4th in lowest gas tax): http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/245.html

Last edited by sabotai : 03-29-2009 at 10:45 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:48 PM   #18
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

So the local state refineries and the lower tax aren't specific to full serve/self serve then? Why is Jersey fighting this move? To be different? How silly.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:03 PM   #19
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well, I think it is mostly because it provides extra jobs.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:27 PM   #20
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well, I think it is mostly because it provides extra jobs.

Hmm, I guess I can see the importance in that in the current economy. What was NJ's excuse five years ago?

Old 03-29-2009, 11:32 PM   #21
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Unions are very big in NJ .
Old 03-29-2009, 11:35 PM   #22
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Holy crap, there's a gas service attendant union? My God, I never conceived of an organization with so much potential for power.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:45 PM   #23
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hmm, I guess I can see the importance in that in the current economy. What was NJ's excuse five years ago?

Do you seriously picture savings making it all the way to the consumer? Plus tied into this has almost always been a tax increase so teh savings end up being pennies per gallon at best (again, if the consumer ever even sees the savings).

Personally I would rather sit comfortably in my car while someone else fills up the car.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:50 PM   #24
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Do you seriously picture savings making it all the way to the consumer? Plus tied into this has almost always been a tax increase so teh savings end up being pennies per gallon at best (again, if the consumer ever even sees the savings).

Personally I would rather sit comfortably in my car while someone else fills up the car.

So, instead of allowing a business to cut an easily removable cost and pass along direct savings to the consumer, you would rather socialize a service that is not needed in today's society, proven to work in pretty much every other state in the union? And your justification is that savings wouldn't make it to the consumer (it would, it's called supply and demand), and that there would be a resulting tax increase (a construct of those organizations that want to keep gas station attendants required, apparently using the New Jersey consumer base and political leadership as their powerless shill)?

Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:52 PM   #25
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'd rather not wait for an attendant. Since moving to GA, I love being able to pump my own gas.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:23 AM   #26
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, folks, I need your help again. I'm back up here for another 2 weeks, and if the weather isn't rainy this weekend, I want to do some hiking. Unfortunately I'm realizing that the webpages for NJ state parks are utterly freaking useless unless you know WTF they're talking about or WHERE they're talking about.

I think I want to go to Palisades Park, though trying to find information on where to go to get to trails and where it's permissible to park is completely stupid to find on the website for the park. Had I known how crappy the resources would be, I'd have gone to REI before I left Virginia, alas I didn't.

So, has anybody done any hiking in Palisades Park? I was thinking of going to Highpoint Park but their website is equally useless and my boss (who was here the last 2 weeks) said that there was almost nobody there and he wouldn't recommend a girl take those trails alone, thanks to the weirdoes out here.

Help?

/tk

P.S. People up in Northern NJ are weird, they call what is essentially a form of a ruben a "sloppy joe."
Old 04-28-2009, 09:34 AM   #27
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I haven't really been hiking in NJ and I'm not surprised you have trouble finding resources on it, not a big thing people in NJ do.

Maybe this link helps

http://www.trails.com/city-trails.as...alley&state=NJ

are you staying in Vernon again?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:00 AM   #28
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
are you staying in Vernon again?

Yep, back in Vernon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the weather is good this weekend. Last time I was here, it rained everyday but one (and on that one, I found out that Vernon is gorgeous).

Then my boss came up here for 2 weeks and had sun everyday.

Hopefully he started a trend.

/tk
Old 04-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #29
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So, instead of allowing a business to cut an easily removable cost and pass along direct savings to the consumer, you would rather socialize a service that is not needed in today's society, proven to work in pretty much every other state in the union? And your justification is that savings wouldn't make it to the consumer (it would, it's called supply and demand), and that there would be a resulting tax increase (a construct of those organizations that want to keep gas station attendants required, apparently using the New Jersey consumer base and political leadership as their powerless shill)?

Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

The clarification is that every time this issue comes up in Jersey it is ALWAYS ridered with a tax increase on gas. This would negate any potential "savings". Plus, there are people who get paid to do this for me so hell yeah, I say keep it full service. I don't go to a restaurant to cook my own food so why should I go to a gas station to pump my own gas?

We pay basically the lowest price for gas in the nation and don't have to leave our car to get it. Why mess with something that works?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #30
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

dola: There are plenty more pressing issues that need to be fixed in the state anyway. Does anyone want to trade governors? We'll throw in a few representatives to be named later as well.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:10 AM   #31
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yep, back in Vernon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the weather is good this weekend. Last time I was here, it rained everyday but one (and on that one, I found out that Vernon is gorgeous).

Then my boss came up here for 2 weeks and had sun everyday.

Hopefully he started a trend.

/tk

I hope you have a better forecast for the weekend. Early reports for down here are rain.

Highpoint is a decent enough place to go but as you were told there may not be a lot of people there. Maybe you could try Swartswood Lake. There is a decent park there and a few places to walk. My memories of this pace are as a kid so I don't know how this would be now (it was about 20 years ago). I did get a chance to take my daughters there last year but didn't get to explore it as much as I would like to (to see if it is like I remember).
Old 04-28-2009, 01:01 PM   #32
Tasan
College Starter

I missed this thread the first time, but was bored today and decided to click and read. Thanks for the Action Park link! That was the most fun reading I've had in a while. After I was done with the wiki, I looked up several other sites about it. I'm an amusement park fan, so it was a kick to read about.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:34 PM   #33
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

TK, if hiking doesn't work out and you feel like a drive you could head to the shore. Some nice town with long boardwalks and stretches of beach and it doesn't get to crowded until Memorial day. There are also alot of nice restaurants to have a glass of wine and some good food.

Lemme know if you want some recomendations.

I miss Jersey
Old 04-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #34
JediKooter
Coordinator

Are you allowed to hike in New Jeresy using your own legs or do you have to get an attendant to do the hike for you?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #35
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Are you allowed to hike in New Jeresy using your own legs or do you have to get an attendant to do the hike for you?

yourself, which is why nobody does it.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:48 PM   #36
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Well, I have found something AMAZING in the Vernon area: The Candy Apple Shoppe: Candy Chocolate Caramel Apples | Candy Apple Shoppe

Saw it advertised on a placemat where I went for lunch (Mixing Bowl Restaurant, which was also quite good, I'll be going there again for sure), realized it's just up the road from the ground station.

Bought 2 candy apples, one regular (just caramel dip) and one dipped in caramel and then dipped in peanut butter then chocolate. The regular one (had half of it) was the best candy apple I've ever had. I have dessert for the next few nights, me thinks. And I'll probably stop by before I head back to VA to bring some to friends/family.

/tk
Old 04-28-2009, 05:02 PM   #37
DanGarion
Coordinator

So I'm confused, how does making them pump the gas for you "benefit the oil companies at the pump'?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:08 PM   #38
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
yourself, which is why nobody does it.

Haha, nice!

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote