Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Ryan Giggs - PFA Player of the Year

I've read some interesting debates on other boards regarding the announcement last night that Ryan Giggs was voted Player of the Year (Football/Soccer award in England). This award is voted on by all players in the league - not coaches, not sports reporters, not a special panel - but his peers and so that adds a different twist to the story.

Many are saying this is more a recognition of his contribution through the years instead of his contribution this particular year (a la Paul Newman for Best Actor in Color of Money). And it would be hard to argue with that. He has only started 12 league games with a number of other substitute appearances. And I believe he only has 1 league goal. Those are two common arguments against his selection.

On the other hand, Giggsy has been absolutely superb most of the season when he does play. He has been consistent for so long that it's hard not to look at it in context. And the fact that at age 34 he can still hang with the young lads is simply mind-boggling. He obviously has the respect and admiration from the rest of the league. No way did they all collaborate together to give him the award.

Perhaps the fact that 5 of the final 6 were Man United players created a split in the vote that allowed him to win? I actually thought Nemanja Vidic was going to win it, so I am surprised, but rather pleasantly so that Giggs won it.

What do you think?

tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Eh - if it's voted on by his peers (who actually have to you know...play against him) then I say his peers can vote on whoever they want. If they all get together and decide to give it to someone, who are we to disagree (no matter what their reasons are), and really who are we to care.

Not sure if you were incredulous and somewhat upset that he won, or if you were just like "why do you think he won?"
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Among Manchester United players Vidic, Ronaldo, Carrick, and Rooney would have been more deserving of the award. Giggs does have a lot of assists in the time he's been out there though. It probably should have been Vidic, Ronaldo, or Frank Lampard (who wasn't nominated).

Last edited by Big Fo : 04-27-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

From an on pitch perspective Van der Sar would have been more deserving imho - he's been a rock.

However from a club perspective I can well believe that Gigg's influence has been immense, non only has he put in performances when called upon but he's a great role model for the younger players at the club.

I think he deserved to win and was quite pleased to see it go to someone nearly as old as myself
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

If Man Utd hold on Giggs will win his eleventh league title. Off the top of my head I can't think of any current players to have done that. Bill Russell did it in basketball years ago.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:43 PM   #6
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Not sure if you were incredulous and somewhat upset that he won, or if you were just like "why do you think he won?"
NOT upset at all. Giggs is the only player uniform that I own. So I am thrilled. Surprised because I thought the odds-on favorite was Vidic.

Last edited by tyketime : 04-27-2009 at 04:44 PM.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:49 PM   #7
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Around the time of the voting (February/March during the 11 game winning streak) I remember seeing a few articles online where players said they were going to vote for Giggs so I wasn't surprised.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:51 PM   #8
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

all voting awards are popularity contests
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
ColtCrazy
College Starter

This is an honorary award for Giggs I would have to guess. He's had a brilliant career, and I'm sure the award is a testament to that.

I've always been a big Giggs fan. He was a great player in his prime, still useful, but you can't say he's even in the top 3 on his own team anymore.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
MIJB#19
Coordinator

It puzzles me. For some reason the players decided to take away the meaning of a best of the year award. Unless the players collectively felt Giggs' leadership made ManU the best team in soccer this past season, he has no business winning this award.

I'm afraid it'll feel cool now, but in 10-20 years people will wonder what got into the minds of the players. I actually think the PFA would be better off voting the best player for best player and giving Giggs one of those life-time achievement awards, which he very well deserves to receive when he turns 40 or something.

But hey, it's not like they gave it to some scrub that played only 5 games as a substitute and scored 2 own goal in it.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote