Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-26-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Need Help - PC Wireless Network Security Types

Without posting a book here is my problem, my restrictions and what I am trying to do.

- I am not able to set up wireless security that would require WEP, WAP2 type passwords due to my usage requirements.

- I have been having my wireless pirated so hard that our VOIP phone cant be talked on and my legitimate computers are so dragged down they are nearly unuseable

- I initially eliminated my problem by setting up MAC filters, again due to my usage I need to block select addressed rather than allow only the following addresses

- This (mac filtering) worked initially but now one of my neighbors has apparently found a way around it, they are showing connected with the same MAD address/ID that is shown as blocked in the table.

- The computer name is generic.

- Both of my direct neighbors have teenagers. Neither seem to be hacker types, but I am 99% sure that one of the two is to blame based on the ability of looking at the previous leech list computer names (12 deep!!!) and playing elimination...

Here is what I want: Either an effective way to permanently block this latest leech OR a way to monitor this activity to help me determine who the leech is so I can have a conversation with their parents. If I can see what web sites they are visiting it will probably quickly lead me to who it is (My two suspects in my mind are very different. One is a female, horse barrel racer senior heading to college next year. The other is a male hs freshman who seems to be into tuner cars and archery)

So any advice....

CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
wishbone
High School JV

Can you turn off the DHCP function in the router and just use static IP addresses? It should be fairly simple to set up, but you will have to go to each PC.
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:50 PM   #3
Tasan
College Starter

Setting DHCP will only be good if you go with a range that is totally out of the norm, and even that can be discovered eventually. Why can't you use WEP or WAP?
Old 04-26-2009, 01:11 PM   #4
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

My company installs home theater rooms and components as part of our business.

I pre set up and program many of items at home and pre test them before taking them into customers homes. One set line of these use wifi for communication and the process of resetting a password resets the entire system eliminating all the programing I do to it. this is also why I have to block select MAC IDs instead of only allowing assigned ones. I have no idea what the MAC IDs are on these devices until they are set up and on line...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Almost seems like you want two separate wireless networks: a private one for most stuff, and a separate open one you use for work that you only turn on when you actually need it to work on one of those remotes.

Or have a LONG talk with the company that makes that wifi equipment about their security procedures...