Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
RainMaker
General Manager

Supervolcanoes and Other Mega Disasters

Was watching some stuff on National Geographic about supervolcanoes. The one in Yellowstone would probably wipe out a good percent of our population and cover the country in an inch of ash. Would also put the planet into an ice age.

The scary thing is there really isn't a way to stop them from happening and it's only a matter of time. The things are so devestating that they change the entire planet. It's amazing for all the power we have over the world, we are still so insignifigant when it comes to this stuff.

Yellowstone is apparently slowly rising. We'll never see it in our lifetime but it's apparently due for one sometime in the near future.

It also got me thinking of other major disasters that will eventually hit our country. There is a fault line up in the Pacific Northwest that would cause a massive tsunami that would wipe out a ton of people in Washington, Oregon, and Canada. Just nuts to think how vulnerable we ultimately are in this world.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

mmhmm!

yay for mass die-off events!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Was watching some stuff on National Geographic about supervolcanoes. The one in Yellowstone would probably wipe out a good percent of our population and cover the country in an inch of ash. Would also put the planet into an ice age.

The scary thing is there really isn't a way to stop them from happening and it's only a matter of time. The things are so devestating that they change the entire planet. It's amazing for all the power we have over the world, we are still so insignifigant when it comes to this stuff.

Yellowstone is apparently slowly rising. We'll never see it in our lifetime but it's apparently due for one sometime in the near future.

It also got me thinking of other major disasters that will eventually hit our country. There is a fault line up in the Pacific Northwest that would cause a massive tsunami that would wipe out a ton of people in Washington, Oregon, and Canada. Just nuts to think how vulnerable we ultimately are in this world.

Supervolancoes, giant tsunamis, asteroids from space, zombies, it's all just a matter of time...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
Mantle2600
High School Varsity

Dont forget giant trout.

Browns. Cavs. Tribe. Buckeyes. Period.
Mantle2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #5
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

The fact we can't control them is why it isn't scary. At least to me. Why bother worrying about them.

Except for zombies. Them bitches are frightening.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:43 PM   #6
RedKingGold
College Starter

I can't wait for the zombies.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
I can't wait for the zombies.

[Shaun is channel hopping]
[Channel 4 News]
Krishnan Guru-Murthy: Though no one official is prepared to comment, religious groups are calling it Judgement Day. There's...
[VH1, playing "Panic" by The Smiths]
Morrissey: ...Panic on the streets of London...
[ITV News]
News Reporter: ...as an increasing number of reports of...
[Football]
Football Commentator: ...serious attacks on...
[Channel Five News]
News Reporter: ...people, who are literally being...
[Nature documentary, leopards eating a gazelle]
Documentary Narrator: ...eaten alive.
[Sky News]
Jeremy Thompson: Witness reports at best are sketchy. One unifying detail seems to be that the attackers in many instances appear to be...
[T4]
Vernon Kay: ...dead excited to have with us here a sensational chart topping...
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:21 PM   #8
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I am heading to Adrian Veidts when the Zombies become too numerous for my weapon cache.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:07 PM   #9
molson
General Manager

It's kind of interesting to think that it all will end sooner or later. There will be a final Super Bowl, a final World Series, a final U.S. president, a final TV broadcast, a final human, a final working government. Maybe it will be sudden, everything normal one second, gone the next. More likely though, it will be gradual.

Last edited by molson : 04-19-2009 at 06:27 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:25 PM   #10
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantle2600 View Post
Dont forget giant trout.

From catfish large enough to swallow kids whole to trout as large as a boat.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:35 PM   #11
Swaggs
Coordinator

I was just reading about hypercanes. They sound fun.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:50 PM   #12
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It's kind of interesting to think that it all will end sooner or later. There will be a final Super Bowl, a final World Series, a final U.S. president, a final TV broadcast, a final human, a final working government. Maybe it will be sudden, everything normal one second, gone the next. More likely though, it will be gradual.

More importantly, an extended period without internet access.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:00 PM   #13
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
More importantly, an extended period without internet access.

Some things are just too terrifying to think about...
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:02 PM   #14
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Doctor Who had a fun episode about the end of the earth, when the sun goes nova. And another about nearing the end of time and the universe itself.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:48 PM   #15
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

This is a huge reason why I think all the hubub about climate change is a joke. All the earth needs to do is have a good belch and we are toast.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:50 PM   #16
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
This is a huge reason why I think all the hubub about climate change is a joke. All the earth needs to do is have a good belch and we are toast.

Actually we would be icicles.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:09 PM   #17
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

So, we're all doomed, don't even try?

SI

Old 04-20-2009, 12:39 AM   #18
Schmidty
Coordinator

Oh, forget it.

Last edited by Schmidty : 04-20-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:55 AM   #19
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
So, we're all doomed, don't even try?

SI

There's other reasons too, but it amazes me how some sciences look at us as all powerful, while other sciences look at us as insignificant in the bigger scheme of things.

Hell, you get down to it, and if it wasn't for all those bacteria back half a billion years ago spouting off all that oxygen, we wouldn't be here.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:11 AM   #20
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
There's other reasons too, but it amazes me how some sciences look at us as all powerful, while other sciences look at us as insignificant in the bigger scheme of things.

Hell, you get down to it, and if it wasn't for all those bacteria back half a billion years ago spouting off all that oxygen, we wouldn't be here.

You're absolutely correct. It makes arguing about things like file-sharing and gay marriage seem downright trivial.

flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:31 AM   #21
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I was just reading about hypercanes. They sound fun.

Somebody call Jerry Bruckheimer.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:38 AM   #22
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

It blows my mind that there have been recorded points where the ocean temperature (in a specific area, I'm sure) were over 100 degrees F.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:39 AM   #23
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
It blows my mind that there have been recorded points where the ocean temperature (in a specific area, I'm sure) were over 100 degrees F.

One of the theories for the Permian mass extinction is that the oceans got so hot, that carbon started to leech out of limestone, turning the oceans into a weak carbonic acid.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #24
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Somebody call Jerry Bruckheimer.

Leave the Supervolvanoes to Michael Bay though because those EXPLODE! Michael Bay.. SPLOSIONS!!
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #25
MikeVic
Head Coach

Is there a way to tell if a volcano is getting closer to errupt? I would think everyone on the planet would be thinking of ways to save the planet if we were all gonna be extinct. I'm sure someone would find a way to contain all that stuff. Or maybe not.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:44 AM   #26
Kodos
Resident Alien

I say we cover Yellowstone with Gilette's Foamy shaving cream. That'll hold it!
Old 04-20-2009, 10:50 AM   #27
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Is there a way to tell if a volcano is getting closer to errupt? I would think everyone on the planet would be thinking of ways to save the planet if we were all gonna be extinct. I'm sure someone would find a way to contain all that stuff. Or maybe not.

I think the problem is how do you relieve the pressure? The problem is any method that weakens the wall of the caldera and releases a little bit of pressure, you run the risk of all the magma going through and ripping it completely open.

I remember watching a show on Yellowstone and there are some unique things that happen due to the nature of the volcano there. Essentially, once an eruption happens, the process that occurs quickens before slowing, whereas a normal volcano has a massive (relatively) initial eruption before settling down.

That's another reason why volcanos are so tricky is that it does to some degree matter what type of magma is in the chamber.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:04 AM   #28
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

What Warhammer said is one huge problem- even if we knew it was coming, we couldn't do a thing.

But we don't even have great prediction ability on these. Within a few days, we can figure out when volcanos are going to go off. But any more than that and we're making guesses at best.

SI

Old 04-20-2009, 11:04 AM   #29
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I think the problem is how do you relieve the pressure? The problem is any method that weakens the wall of the caldera and releases a little bit of pressure, you run the risk of all the magma going through and ripping it completely open.

I remember watching a show on Yellowstone and there are some unique things that happen due to the nature of the volcano there. Essentially, once an eruption happens, the process that occurs quickens before slowing, whereas a normal volcano has a massive (relatively) initial eruption before settling down.

That's another reason why volcanos are so tricky is that it does to some degree matter what type of magma is in the chamber.

This has got to be related to the situation where I fart on one end of the couch and my wife is able to feel the shaking on the other end of the couch. There is often a delay in how long the smell takes to reach her, but the shaking is immediate.

Hope this adds to the discussion.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:54 AM   #30
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Couldn't we build a gigantic vertical tube that would direct all of the lava into outerspace??
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #31
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Just need to dig underground tunnels so it comes out of Candace's nose on Mount Rushmore...
Old 04-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #32
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Couldn't we build a gigantic vertical tube that would direct all of the lava into outerspace??

Yes, but then the cold of space would solidify the lava causing the earth to have an outer shell and would cause massive global cooling.

Duh.

I mean seriously, do you even think through your thoughts????

You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 04-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #33
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Yes, but then the cold of space would solidify the lava causing the earth to have an outer shell and would cause massive global cooling.

Duh.

I mean seriously, do you even think through your thoughts????

I know it's hard, but keep up with me here. Once it's done we could just sever the tube and get some space tugboats to lug the shell away.

Problem solved.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 04-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #34
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

They definitely have ways to track it and do. The reason it probably doesn't get much attention is that we could be hundreds of thousands of years away from an eruption. Plus there really isn't much we can do to stop it.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #35
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I know it's hard, but keep up with me here. Once it's done we could just sever the tube and get some space tugboats to lug the shell away.

So, you have thought it through....
Old 04-20-2009, 12:47 PM   #36
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Tell ya what, I like hard outer shells on ice cream. I like Earth. Why wouldn't I want a hard outer shell on Earth? I think we're on to something.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #37
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
So, you have thought it through....

Clearly!
Old 04-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #38
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
Tell ya what, I like hard outer shells on ice cream.

I don't know about you, but I could go for some Magic Shell now.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:54 PM   #39
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Not only could there be a geologic event like these mentioned, but what about the ones from space? A gamma ray burst from an exploding star, if it hit earth, would destroy most of our ozone and then the UV rays from the sun would kill most life on earth. One study indicated this could happen from an exposure of just 10 seconds to a GRB - good luck stopping that one, Bruce Willis.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #40
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So that's why we need the volcano shell now! I'm sure it can stop UV

SI