Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #1901
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Ducks clinched their spot last night. We apparently have the tiebreaker with the Bluejackets, too, from what I understand, so if we win tonight, and the Bluejackets don't get a point against the Wild, we will move into sixth.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #1902
DeToxRox
Head Coach

These deals are so against what the Cap is intended for it's hilarious. The rich get richer by spending loads of money up front, so teams like Nashville cannot possibly match. I wonder if this is the last year this kind of thing is allowed.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:35 PM   #1903
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Ducks clinched their spot last night. We apparently have the tiebreaker with the Bluejackets, too, from what I understand, so if we win tonight, and the Bluejackets don't get a point against the Wild, we will move into sixth.

No offense, but lose. Nothing against Anaheim but I REALLY don't want to see Columbus in the first round.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:15 PM   #1904
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
No offense, but lose. Nothing against Anaheim but I REALLY don't want to see Columbus in the first round.

Yeah, I have seen you tout that line before, which makes me think you haven't see us play in a while. You'll probably get what you want.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 04-11-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #1905
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah, I have seen you tout that line before, which makes me think you haven't see us play in a while. You'll probably get what you want.

Seen plenty of Anaheim. Problem is they still are undisciplined, and don't have a lot of front line scoring.

Columbus has the hottest goalie in hockey, a fantastic defensive minded coach, their first playoff appereance ever, a top 10 player in Nash and we'll have already played them 6 times.

Anaheim is good, but they have nowhere near the things Columbus has going for them vs Detroit.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #1906
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Seen plenty of Anaheim. Problem is they still are undisciplined, and don't have a lot of front line scoring.

Columbus has the hottest goalie in hockey, a fantastic defensive minded coach, their first playoff appereance ever, a top 10 player in Nash and we'll have already played them 6 times.

Anaheim is good, but they have nowhere near the things Columbus has going for them vs Detroit.

Not saying playing Columbus will be fun or won't provide the stiffer test. I'm saying that either way you go, you're not going to get a series you'll enjoy. And the Ducks now are a much different team than they were before, when they spent most of the season dealing with injuries and trying to find themselves.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:28 PM   #1907
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

It should tell you something, BTW, that even with all that you have said about Columbus, which is true, that despite all that, the Ducks still have a very real chance to catch them tonight, after being well back just over a month ago.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #1908
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
It should tell you something, BTW, that even with all that you have said about Columbus, which is true, that despite all that, the Ducks still have a very real chance to catch them tonight, after being well back just over a month ago.

Yes but it has nothing to do with comparing the two teams. It's as a Wings fan who I'd rather face. I am sure the 5 other playoff teams would choose Columbus over Anaheim, but for Detroit, I think it's the other way around.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #1909
bhlloy
Coordinator

I don't agree at all here. Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry has been by far the hottest line in hockey the last 15 games of the season. Infinitely better front line scoring than Nash and whoever else the BlueJackets have on their top line. In fact, Getzlaf has pretty clearly been better than Nash the whole season. The Ducks have also won 12 out of the last 15 games...

In terms of goaltending, Hiller has a better save percentage than Mason (which is the only stat that really matters to me TBH) and I'll take the goalie with more experience every time when playoffs roll around. Even if that's a little unrealistic, Hiller is very, very good.

As for undisciplined, things get called the Ducks way in the playoffs that don't get called their way in the regular season. This is how we won our first cup.

I don't think I can usually be called a homer, but I would be really worried about facing a team this hot and this experienced (did I mention we got Beauchemain back last night). I think we lose in 5 or 6 against San Jose, but the thought of Detroit or Chicago has me really confident (for a lower seed against a higher seed anyway). We'll see how it plays out.

Last edited by bhlloy : 04-11-2009 at 02:40 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #1910
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes but it has nothing to do with comparing the two teams. It's as a Wings fan who I'd rather face. I am sure the 5 other playoff teams would choose Columbus over Anaheim, but for Detroit, I think it's the other way around.

Interesting. Okay, I could see that, from an intra-divisional perspective.

Just saying either way you go, you're either looking at the intra-divisional rival you fear, or the hottest team in hockey. Not really a winner there for the Wings.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:36 PM   #1911
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Interesting. Okay, I could see that, from an intra-divisional perspective.

Just saying either way you go, you're either looking at the intra-divisional rival you fear, or the hottest team in hockey. Not really a winner there for the Wings.

Technically the Blues were the hottest team over the second half of the season
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:37 PM   #1912
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
Technically the Blues were the hottest team over the second half of the season

Well, if you extend it over the full season, the Sharks were the hottest team.

Blues have been very good as well. The Ducks' overall positive results are more compressed into recent games, although it's long enough now to see it's not just some lucky roll.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:41 PM   #1913
Blade6119
Coordinator

Im just euphoric that the Blues clinched the playoffs, as this team is really a few years away from reaching its potential. I was upset when they decided not to trade away a few older players at the deadline for prospects in order to make a playoff push, but now that they actually made it I do believe ive changed my mind. Positive signs of development from the new regime.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:45 PM   #1914
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
Im just euphoric that the Blues clinched the playoffs, as this team is really a few years away from reaching its potential. I was upset when they decided not to trade away a few older players at the deadline for prospects in order to make a playoff push, but now that they actually made it I do believe ive changed my mind. Positive signs of development from the new regime.

Yeah, now that the Blues don't have as many people I dislike, and the one guy I massively dislike is hurt (Kariya), you guys get a positive vibe from me. Good story, hope they do well.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:07 PM   #1915
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I don't want the Wings to play Anaheim. I don't really fancy any of their first round match-ups. If I had to choose, I guess I'd prefer the Blues.

Both Columbus and Anaheim make me equally nervous, but at least the Columbus games will start earlier. I hate those 10:00/10:30 PM EST start times. Hate them.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #1916
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, now that the Blues don't have as many people I dislike, and the one guy I massively dislike is hurt (Kariya), you guys get a positive vibe from me. Good story, hope they do well.

He could be back for the playoff push though.
MizzouRah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:14 PM   #1917
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
He could be back for the playoff push though.

Hah, well, then any liking I have of the Blues will instantly disappear, I'm afraid.

If he's back for the first round (and seedings hold), I hope the Shark's "OMG that's such an ugly ass line" Line of Lemieux, Roenick and Shelley pound him hard.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:36 PM   #1918
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

How much interest would there be in some sort of playoff pool?

A straight team picks pool would be pretty simple to run.

I'd consider a player pool, but we'd be cutting in short on drafting time.

I'll pull some stuff together, see what kind of interest there is, run it out of Google Docs.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:39 PM   #1919
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I'm in for either.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #1920
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, either sounds good to me. I'd love a player pool if we can get one done in time.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:32 PM   #1921
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I'm in for a team pool. I would have to think about a player one, as I am not sure I have enough time to really research it.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:21 PM   #1922
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I'm new with Google docs, hopefully these link works

Option 1- team pool.

Pretty simple, rank teams 1-16, 16 being your Cup winner. You receive points per each teams win.

Welcome to Google Docs

Option 2 - player based.

Since I don't think we'd get through a full draft, this is the next best option.

You'd chose 1 player from each grouping. In the case of forward 6 and defense 4, you can write in any player NOT in one of the other groups.

So everyone would field a team of 12, with some overlap in players.

The twist being, as teams are eliminated, you'll lose players. So while Ovechkin, Crosby, or Malkin will no doubt be important, picking the right guy in group 3 could make or break your team. If you take Ovechkin, and the Caps are out in round one, you are hurting.

Welcome to Google Docs

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 04-11-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #1923
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hah, well, then any liking I have of the Blues will instantly disappear, I'm afraid.

If he's back for the first round (and seedings hold), I hope the Shark's "OMG that's such an ugly ass line" Line of Lemieux, Roenick and Shelley pound him hard.

My dad does not like Kariya either.. so you're not alone.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:37 PM   #1924
henry296
College Starter

Eastern Conference Matchups set:

Boston - Montreal
Washington - NYR
Devils - Hurricanes
Pens - Flyers

Flyers play Rangers tomorrow for home ice advantage in round 1 while Rangers have nothing to play for.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #1925
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post

Boston - Montreal
Washington - NYR
Devils - Hurricanes
Pens - Flyers

Flyers play Rangers tomorrow for home ice advantage in round 1 while Rangers have nothing to play for.

I don't know why DeTox said whoever was coming out of the East was going to have an advantage over the West rep. Any of these first round matchups could go seven games. Other than perhaps the Caps/Rangers series, the matchups feature a lot of rivalry/history angles that are going to ratchet up the intensity even more than they normally would, and I'll wager that Sean Avery can cook up something to get that series spiced up as well.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #1926
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Neat thing, no idea whether other clubs do this or not. Thrashers wrap up the season with a win at home over Tampa and after the game it's the "Jerseys off our back" promotion. Season ticket holders and/or booster club members (I've never been sure which) are drawn and come on the ice for post-game to get the game worn jerseys right from the players. Been there for that a couple of times, I think that I've seen ever other one of them on TV. Just a neat hockey thing to me.

Almost hard not to feel a little better about the team considering how they finished the season, at least competing on most nights even when they didn't win.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:05 PM   #1927
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
I don't know why DeTox said whoever was coming out of the East was going to have an advantage over the West rep. Any of these first round matchups could go seven games. Other than perhaps the Caps/Rangers series, the matchups feature a lot of rivalry/history angles that are going to ratchet up the intensity even more than they normally would, and I'll wager that Sean Avery can cook up something to get that series spiced up as well.

Avery actually lights Ovechkin's stick on fire?
Old 04-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #1928
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Matt Gilroy watch begins. I'd love for him to sign w/ the B's, but I don't think they'll shell it out for the Hobey Baker winner.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:31 PM   #1929
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Neat thing, no idea whether other clubs do this or not. Thrashers wrap up the season with a win at home over Tampa and after the game it's the "Jerseys off our back" promotion. Season ticket holders and/or booster club members (I've never been sure which) are drawn and come on the ice for post-game to get the game worn jerseys right from the players. Been there for that a couple of times, I think that I've seen ever other one of them on TV. Just a neat hockey thing to me.

Almost hard not to feel a little better about the team considering how they finished the season, at least competing on most nights even when they didn't win.

Carolina does a similar thing as well. Just sucks the last couple of times they did this it was after a loss. At least this year they didn't have to do it wistfully considering they made the playoffs anyway. Last year, they lost to Florida in the final game and it seemed like a foregone conclusion that Florida was going to lose to Washington the next day to knock Carolina out of the playoffs. As a result, there was a certain grimness to the ceremony, kind of like waiting and hoping for a miraculous recovery of a terminally ill loved one, but there really wasn't any hope.

I can't tell you how much less I minded losing the last two games this year than last year, though. Even if the Canes don't go far in the playoffs, I'm still looking forward to it. The only thing that sucks somewhat is that I don't have a TV in my computer room anymore so it's harder to get to watch those 3 OT games that go until 1 in the morning.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:55 PM   #1930
bhlloy
Coordinator

Ugh - Ducks absolutely crap away the 6th seed by losing to the Coyotes in a shootout. Hiller's turn to be very shaky, Giguere looked good in the third before looking like crap and getting scored on 3 times in the SO.

Pretty controversial winning goal in the shootout that should at least been reviewed, and the refs had been on vacation in general the whole game. But can't complain too much - this should have been an easy win for the Ducks.

Only other thing of note is that the Coyotes take themselves out of the lottery with the win. If I'm Gretzky, I'm probably telling my players not to try too hard to score in the SO for that reason. Kudos for them for still trying and having some integrity.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:29 AM   #1931
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post

Boston - Montreal
Washington - NYR
Devils - Hurricanes
Pens - Flyers

These are all fun matchups to watch. Okay, except for Devils-Canes. Sorry Wolfpack, that matchup doesn't excite me at all.

The others, though, I would make time for.

And, yes, I would even match NJ-CAR if no other games were on.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:33 AM   #1932
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Ugh - Ducks absolutely crap away the 6th seed by losing to the Coyotes in a shootout. Hiller's turn to be very shaky, Giguere looked good in the third before looking like crap and getting scored on 3 times in the SO.

Pretty controversial winning goal in the shootout that should at least been reviewed, and the refs had been on vacation in general the whole game. But can't complain too much - this should have been an easy win for the Ducks.

Only other thing of note is that the Coyotes take themselves out of the lottery with the win. If I'm Gretzky, I'm probably telling my players not to try too hard to score in the SO for that reason. Kudos for them for still trying and having some integrity.

Yeah, it was a frustrating game, and I'll admit, the bridge from Vancouver to Detroit is a large one, so it was a big point we lost there. All that said, we were eventually going to have to face Detroit or San Jose. Might as well get it over with now, while the team is playing well, and before Hossa's fully healthy (in Detroit's case).

Old 04-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #1933
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Wow, the Blues were like 15th back in February and finish 6th!!!

Should be interesting vs Vancouver!
Old 04-12-2009, 07:49 PM   #1934
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Sounds like all the Wings fans got their wish

To be honest, I don't think that Detroit has much to worry about. The Jackets played their last 2 games like they were just happy to be in the playoffs, although they missed Huselius in both games, which really makes the Nash line click.

We're just playing sloppy with the puck, which is something that Detroit will take advantage of. Also, Mason is not on the top of his game right now, as he just looks a little worn out (which is understandable).

Although, I could be wrong, but my prediction is Wings in 5, with the Jackets getting a win in their barn.

I do agree with HB on one thing, I'm glad for the early starts, especially if the Jackets get to experience some of that magical OT playoff hockey.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:52 PM   #1935
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerONU22 View Post

To be honest, I don't think that Detroit has much to worry about. The Jackets played their last 2 games like they were just happy to be in the playoffs, although they missed Huselius in both games, which really makes the Nash line click.

We're just playing sloppy with the puck, which is something that Detroit will take advantage of. Also, Mason is not on the top of his game right now, as he just looks a little worn out (which is understandable).

Although, I could be wrong, but my prediction is Wings in 5, with the Jackets getting a win in their barn.

I do agree with HB on one thing, I'm glad for the early starts, especially if the Jackets get to experience some of that magical OT playoff hockey.

Honestly my biggest worry is a bunch of kids throwing caution to the wind. You can play a series with reckless abandon, but you can't win a Cup that way. You can however win a series that way and I think Columbus has a shot at that.

Plus, Rick Nash is apparently 7 men vs us because he has just flat out mauled Detroit.

I think Detroit wins a very tough 6 or 7 game series. Lots of physicality out of both teams, but whoever wins will be beat up heading into the second round.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:56 PM   #1936
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
These are all fun matchups to watch. Okay, except for Devils-Canes. Sorry Wolfpack, that matchup doesn't excite me at all.

The others, though, I would make time for.

And, yes, I would even match NJ-CAR if no other games were on.

I take no offense, really. Only fans of these two franchises really would dig the series beyond passing curiousity. However, within the series itself, there's been a lot of history over the last decade. This is the fourth time they've met in the playoffs since 2001 and the third time it's been in the first round (coincidentally, the same four years Carolina made the playoffs this decade). Carolina fans tend to point to the 2001 series where NJ was a #1 and Carolina a #8, yet Carolina pushed the Devils to six games as a turning point in the growth of the franchise in the Triangle. Carolina then beat them the next year on the way to the Finals and did it again when winning the Cup in 2006, so regardless of how NJ and their fans feel about the history, Carolina fans definitely have a lot vested in it. As the saying goes around here, "It wouldn't be the playoffs if we didn't play the Devils."
Old 04-12-2009, 07:59 PM   #1937
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Honestly my biggest worry is a bunch of kids throwing caution to the wind. You can play a series with reckless abandon, but you can't win a Cup that way. You can however win a series that way and I think Columbus has a shot at that.

Plus, Rick Nash is apparently 7 men vs us because he has just flat out mauled Detroit.

I think Detroit wins a very tough 6 or 7 game series. Lots of physicality out of both teams, but whoever wins will be beat up heading into the second round.

Yeah, and the positive outlook is that this could be Hitch's opportunity to give the team a wake up call before the playoffs start.

While this sounds cliche, the goaltending matchup is probably the most intriguing part to the series. Osgood hasn't been great this season, but it seem as if Babcock is going with him. Mason has been great, but has seemed a little more human/tired in the past month or two.

I'm also anxious to see how some of these guys respond. I'd love to see Peca and Torres capture some of that Edmonton magic (although I'm sure the Wings fans wouldn't), and I'm interested in how Nash handles the playoffs.

Overall, I'm excited and have my tickets in hand for the first playoff game in the 'Nat. I'm anxious to see how many Wings fans end up in Columbus, because the tickets were sold out before the fans knew the opponent.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:05 PM   #1938
DeToxRox
Head Coach

As far as predictions.. I'll go like this

Eastern Conference

Boston over Montral in 7

I think this will be an epic series. Montreal has the talent but really hasn't put it together since the halfway point in the season. Boston is going to get all Montreal has, but Boston still has the deeper talent. A Montreal win here wouldn't shock me but I stll doubt it happens.

Rangers over Washington in 6.

Washington has Ovechkin, but on the flipside they also have Theodore. Something like 10 of the last 14 years a 2 has beaten a 7, and I think the trend continues this year. The Rangers have the goaltending edge, and can score those dirty goals when they need them. I really expect Avery to be a big difference in this series by getting under the Caps players skins, and drawing a few penalties. Ovechkin must be lights out because Theodore won't be and in the end that's the difference.

Carolina over New Jersey in 6.

Carolina is the hottest team in the East, and Jersey is one of the coldest. Carolina is a far more complete team who's core has done it before, and while Brodeur has got some rings, I just don't think Jersey can match firepower with the Canes.

Pittsburgh over Philly in 6.

Pittsburgh is scary right now. The rivalry will be renewed again and I bet this is the most fun first round series to watch. I expect some fights and a lot of close games, but again, I just cannot see Philly containing Pittsburghs firepower in a 7 game series.

Western Conference

San Jose over Anaheim in 7.

Anaheim is playing great, and has guys who've been here. I am a firm believer that these games between two teams in the same division are harder to have end in blowout series. The familiary is off the charts, and Anaheim has the D capable of shutting down San Jose. I just think San Jose takes advantage with their Special Teams and wins a very close series, one I think ranks second behind PHI/PIT as must watch.

Detroit over Columbus in 6.

My feelings are well known here. Detroit is playing a young team with a Superstar and a great coach and they have nothing to lose. Detroit will probably fall game 1, but storm back, only to drop game 4. It'll be dangerous if it is 2-2 going into game 5, but that's where the experience will win out for the Wings.

Vancouver over St. Louis in 5.

I just don't see STL cracking Lulongo. This is the series I would think is probably least watchable but it could be fun. STL shouldn't be here and I think they know they need to go out both guns blazing. If STL takes game 1, then I think this will be fun, but for them Game 1 is crucial because if Lulongo gets hot it'll become awfully demoralizing.

Chicago over Calgary in 6.

Chicago is young but playing well. Calagay has experience but is playing pretty bad. Kipper can win a series by himself, but unless that D turns it on from the get go, the young legs of Chicago should be too much for Calgary to handle. It'll be interesting to see how Kane and Toews respond to what will be a very physical series. I think they'll be just fine, but it'll be key for the Hawks that they continue playing beyond their years.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:15 PM   #1939
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i hate carolina and they worry me. but id still rather draw them than pitt or the rangers, so, here we go
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #1940
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerONU22 View Post

Columbus makes me nervous. Nash has owned the Wings, they have some big forwards like Umberger and Torres who the Wings will have problems with around the net, and then there's Mason.

The Wings have backed into the playoffs. They lost two games in which they went into third period with a lead and then got shutout. They are the third worst defensive team (in terms of goals against) going into the playoffs and the worst in the Western Conference. Granted they have the best offense (in terms of goals for), but the Wings' history is littered with abysmal playoff failures of teams just like this.

Despite the time zone preference, I think another reason why this match-up is good is because nothing builds up a rivalry like a playoff series. Nothing. I always felt like the NHL had the right idea with their post-lockout schedule in which they tried to emphasize divisional match-ups (thought perhaps a bit too much). The problem was execution. If they really wanted divisional rivalries to get heated, they would have gone back to the old playoff format with intra-divisional series for the first two rounds. There are obvious flaws with that system, but it was what made the divisional rivalries so fierce. Hopefully this will be the beginning of a Wings/Jackets rivalry of some sort.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:06 PM   #1941
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

strange (to me) that the two worst PP teams - Columbus and Rangers - are in the playoffs.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:19 PM   #1942
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

No way DTR... the Blues are hot and will beat Vancouver. Maybe I'm dreaming, but I think they are hot at the right time.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:39 PM   #1943
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Pittsburgh over Philly in 6.

Pittsburgh is scary right now. The rivalry will be renewed again and I bet this is the most fun first round series to watch. I expect some fights and a lot of close games, but again, I just cannot see Philly containing Pittsburghs firepower in a 7 game series.

I actually expect to see very few fights. Dr Sak can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Cote is done for the year. Which, IMO, makes it less likely Godard dresses for Pittsburgh.

You may see a fight, but it will be something like Asham - Guerin or Lupul - Kennedy, not a main event. I'd like to see Hartnell - Cooke go, if only because Hartnell is this year's Ryan Malone, and getting him off the ice as much as possible helps Pittsburgh.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:02 PM   #1944
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
If they really wanted divisional rivalries to get heated, they would have gone back to the old playoff format with intra-divisional series for the first two rounds. There are obvious flaws with that system, but it was what made the divisional rivalries so fierce. Hopefully this will be the beginning of a Wings/Jackets rivalry of some sort.

I've actually spent time pondering what that would be like under the current division arrangement. Obviously, this means you'd end up with a "wild card" pairing to go with the division matchups, but given that such teams would almost certainly be seeded between 5 and 8 overall, they'd be pretty competitive (if not as good stylistically) and would create a chance for a Cinderella story in both conferences in the second round. If it were done for this year the pairings would be:

East
Northeast: (1) Boston vs (8) Montreal
Southeast: (2) Washington vs (6) Carolina
Atlantic: (3) New Jersey vs (4) Pittsburgh
Wild card: (5) Philadelphia vs (7) NY Rangers

West
Pacific: (1) San Jose vs (8) Anaheim
Central: (2) Detroit vs (4) Chicago
Northwest: (3) Vancouver vs (5) Calgary
Wild card: (6) St. Louis vs (7) Columbus

I remember going back and doing this over the years since the current division format was adopted and it was interesting to see that just about every year earlier this decade you'd have had Philadelphia and New Jersey going at it and Detroit and St. Louis going at it. There were some other repeat matchups over time, but those two stuck out to me as the most frequent pairings.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:25 PM   #1945
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
strange (to me) that the two worst PP teams - Columbus and Rangers - are in the playoffs.

If the Rangers were anything but #1 in the PK, we wouldn't be in the playoffs.

Very strange to see them at the top of PK and the bottom of PP. Extremely unlike what we have seen from the team since I've been following them at least.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:13 AM   #1946
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I was hoping that the Devils would somehow end up playing Montreal or Philadelphia in the playoffs. Unfortunately, Philadelphia hung on to that #4 spot, and Montreal never got totally out of the tank. I haven't followed Carolina very closely this year, but I know that the Hurricanes are capable of beating the Devils.

Hey, I'm glad that Parise had a monster season and Brodeur is back, but it's the other guys on that team who worry me. The team really doesn't have much past its top two lines, but I think the offense can hold it together. That's not my biggest concern. This isn't easy for a Devils fan to say, but I have no faith in the New Jersey defense right now. They don't have a defenseman that really scares anybody, they don't have a real offensive threat on the blue line, and it's hard to trust no-names like Andy Greene and Mike Mottau in high-pressure situations.

I'll be watching the series because I'm a Devils fan, but I'm not terribly excited about it.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:24 AM   #1947
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
I've actually spent time pondering what that would be like under the current division arrangement. Obviously, this means you'd end up with a "wild card" pairing to go with the division matchups, but given that such teams would almost certainly be seeded between 5 and 8 overall, they'd be pretty competitive (if not as good stylistically) and would create a chance for a Cinderella story in both conferences in the second round. If it were done for this year the pairings would be:

East
Northeast: (1) Boston vs (8) Montreal
Southeast: (2) Washington vs (6) Carolina
Atlantic: (3) New Jersey vs (4) Pittsburgh
Wild card: (5) Philadelphia vs (7) NY Rangers

West
Pacific: (1) San Jose vs (8) Anaheim
Central: (2) Detroit vs (4) Chicago
Northwest: (3) Vancouver vs (5) Calgary
Wild card: (6) St. Louis vs (7) Columbus

I remember going back and doing this over the years since the current division format was adopted and it was interesting to see that just about every year earlier this decade you'd have had Philadelphia and New Jersey going at it and Detroit and St. Louis going at it. There were some other repeat matchups over time, but those two stuck out to me as the most frequent pairings.

I'd love to just see 2 divisions in both conferences. I don't know why we're so adverse to larger divisions in American professional sports. I've never been able to follow the NHL/NBA quite the same after they expanded to 6 divisions, it's just so messy.

I miss the old divisional playoffs in the NHL - and that was when there were only 21 teams and the regular season was far more meaningless than it is now. These days, it would be so much better: two divisions of 7 and two divisions of 8, the top four in each division would be seeded 1-4 for the first two rounds. Divisional rivalries would really develop (I'll never forget when the Bruins FINALLY got past the Canadians in 1988, after losing about 20 consecutive playoff series against them - the last four in consecutive years under the divisional playoff format). In all, Boston/Montreal played each other 9 consecutive years in the playoffs - you could never get close to that today.

Last edited by molson : 04-13-2009 at 12:25 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:51 AM   #1948
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Suburban is right. Cote is done for the season (thankfully). That makes Stevens not be able to dress him.

I agree with Detox that it will be Pittsburgh in 6 but I don't agree with his assessment. The Flyers have 6 25 goal scorers (which does not include Briere) and IMO actually have more firepower than the Pens. Yes the Pens have the two better upfront men, but the Flyers depth at forward is 3 lines deep.

The Flyers are so inconsistent and rarely play 60 minutes strong. That is why they will lose. They are a much better team than last year but do not play with the intensity that last year's team did. The Pens are good, but beatable. But their pressing system will cause the Flyers to turn the puck over which will lead to chances.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:16 AM   #1949
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I'd love to just see 2 divisions in both conferences. I don't know why we're so adverse to larger divisions in American professional sports. I've never been able to follow the NHL/NBA quite the same after they expanded to 6 divisions, it's just so messy.

I miss the old divisional playoffs in the NHL - and that was when there were only 21 teams and the regular season was far more meaningless than it is now. These days, it would be so much better: two divisions of 7 and two divisions of 8, the top four in each division would be seeded 1-4 for the first two rounds. Divisional rivalries would really develop (I'll never forget when the Bruins FINALLY got past the Canadians in 1988, after losing about 20 consecutive playoff series against them - the last four in consecutive years under the divisional playoff format). In all, Boston/Montreal played each other 9 consecutive years in the playoffs - you could never get close to that today.

I'd love to see the two division and divisional playoff format again. Since I only really know the West, I'd probably move Dallas and Minnesota into the "Central" and move Colorado and the three western Canadian teams with Phoenix and the three California teams.

This year you'd get the same teams in, but flip the 3/6 and 4/5 matchups.

(1) Detroit vs. (4) Columbus
(2) Chicago vs. (3) St. Louis

(1) San Jose vs. (4) Anaheim
(2) Vancouver vs. (3) Calgary.

That's pretty much awesome.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #1950
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Francois Giguere is out as Avalanche GM.

not shocking, except that I figured Granato would go first.