Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-25-2009, 10:46 AM   #51
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I've had a bit of a reattachment to my hometown during the tournament. Xavier guard Dante Jackson is from my hometown and I can't stop rooting for him. I was very pleased to see him win the player of the game for Xavier's first win. I don't know Dante, but I know his family, and he's the first D1 athlete from my hometown that I can remember.

Maybe I'm not as detached as I thought.

JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #52
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I consider myself West Virginian and Appalachian before I consider myself American.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:25 PM   #53
ColtCrazy
College Starter

As far as my home state, yes, I am very proud to be from Indiana. I've been throughout the US and most of Europe and can't imagine calling any other place home. I enjoy going up to Indianapolis a lot and love the countryside of the state in the part where I live (southern).

My hometown? Well, that's a different story. Scottsburg and its county have one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the state. We are the 3rd poorest county. We have a bad meth problem (17 labs closed in 08). For those reasons, I can't say I'm proud. I could think of about 4-5 other places in Southern Indiana I would rather live (#1 would be Madison, a very historic town on the Ohio River).

However, I don't hate my home either. I love where I work (elementary school) and I love a lot of the people in the community. It's a wonderful blend of southern hospitality and midwestern friendliness. I've always thought, culturally speaking, Southern Indiana is separate from the rest of the state.

My hometown has its issues, but it is my home and I do enjoy it here, even if it aggravates me from time to time.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #54
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

My home town just resonates as a place with me. Nothing special, I can't think of anything I feel I could refer to as "home". Maybe New England as a whole, I am most definitely a New Englander and proud to be one.

Last edited by jeff061 : 03-25-2009 at 06:32 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:19 PM   #55
BYU 14
Coordinator

Even though I was raised in America since age 5 (mostly in and around Salt Lake City) I am proud of where I was born (Chilton, County Durham England) and still maintain dual citizenship. I even have a Tat honoring my birth place.

I love the US and have experienced so much in the various places I have lived here, I wouldn't want it any different. (Hell, I don't even know how well I would fit in if I was to ever move back to England to live) America is pretty much all I have known and where all my nostalgia lies. But, I still don't really feel an attachment or sense of pride to/for anywhere here as deep as the one I feel to my birthplace, if that makes any sense.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:36 PM   #56
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Excellent idea for a post, Jon, I've enjoyed reading the posts here more than in any other thread for a long time. It's fascinating to get some background of the posters so often read but of whom so little is known.

I have two switches to contemplate - from my youth in the depressed cotton town of Rochdale in the north of England to the high tech town of Stevenage just north of London and from Britain to Australia 12 years ago. "Proud" isn't a word I would use, more a defensive attitude towards the weaknesses, but little of that towards Rochdale but much more towards Britain particularly when faced with zealous Australian republicans .

One of the worst things I did was to return to Rochdale, even more so the seaside holiday town of Blackpool I loved as a kid, and see what tatty, sleazy places they really are - something I hadn't realised at all in my youth. And while loving the healthy, sunny, outdoor life of Australia I do miss the sophistication and variety of Britain.

Nevertheless I would not want to return to either though I will continue to shout, uselessly, for the English cricket team against the Australians and, not so uselessly, for my beloved Manchester Utd

Last edited by Mac Howard : 03-25-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote