Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-13-2009, 10:59 PM   #1
JS19
College Prospect

Need some help....Should college athletes be paid??

Ok, I'm writing a paper on "Should college athletes be compensated?"....I'm still in the beginning phase, I've found a few credible sources on the topic, but can use some more. Anyone know of some good articles on the topic, or any author's who have debated the topic, or anywhere in general to look? I've been finding it more difficult than I had originally thought to find a sufficient amount of information.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:06 PM   #2
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Had to do this a few years ago in college but I can't find the paper offhand so no source help

That said, before you get too gung ho about arguing in favor- if your teacher is familiar with the argument, good luck reconciling the yes side with Title IX and making it economically feasible for the athletic department. It's all intertwined and you'll end up with some fairly indefensible position about how only revenue generating sports athletes should be paid- which in reality would not hold up in court. Or you say all athletes should be paid and you won't be able to come up with numbers to justify it because men's non-revenue generating sports were bled out of the NCAA in the 90s and 00s so that athletic departments could fit women's athletic budgets that would be Title IX compliant. As much as lazy radio talk show hosts like to drag it out on a tired sports day and make all sorts of silly claims about how it's unfair and so on and so forth- there's no way to do it within the law and taking real economics into account.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-13-2009 at 11:07 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:16 PM   #3
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

BCS football players read this post and asked "You mean they're thinking of taking away our salaries?"
Old 03-13-2009, 11:46 PM   #4
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Had to do this a few years ago in college but I can't find the paper offhand so no source help

That said, before you get too gung ho about arguing in favor- if your teacher is familiar with the argument, good luck reconciling the yes side with Title IX and making it economically feasible for the athletic department. It's all intertwined and you'll end up with some fairly indefensible position about how only revenue generating sports athletes should be paid- which in reality would not hold up in court. Or you say all athletes should be paid and you won't be able to come up with numbers to justify it because men's non-revenue generating sports were bled out of the NCAA in the 90s and 00s so that athletic departments could fit women's athletic budgets that would be Title IX compliant. As much as lazy radio talk show hosts like to drag it out on a tired sports day and make all sorts of silly claims about how it's unfair and so on and so forth- there's no way to do it within the law and taking real economics into account.

SI

How are scholarships funded? Or do they not bother with that and say that a scholarship means 'you don't have to pay'?

If the scholarships are funded as part of an endowment or something, give the kids a choice - free school or the cash equivalent. If you take the cash, you're on the hook for the cost of your own schooling each year.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote