Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-01-2003, 12:51 PM   #1
mrsimperless
College Prospect

"a diamond surrounded by trash"

New Cardinals RB airs out gripes in interview

Excerpt:

Quote:
Emmitt Smith, now with the Arizona Cardinals, told the magazine that last season "was the worst year I ever went through playing football. Too much damn drama. Too much selfishness by too many guys on the team. Too much media frenzy around the team," according to the paper.

"People always looking to me for answers, and I didn't have the answers for them about why we were so bad. It felt like being a diamond surrounded by trash," Smith said to the magazine, according to the report.

Ummm, and life will be better in Arizona?

That line about the diamond and the trash gave me a chuckle. But it still can't top "Operation Shutdown".

Last edited by mrsimperless : 08-01-2003 at 03:03 PM.
mrsimperless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 01:27 PM   #2
Franklinnoble
Banned

Re: "a diamond surrounded by trash"

Quote:
Originally posted by mrsimperless

Ummm, and life will be better in Arizona?

Well said. Emmitt is full of crap. If he really thought Dallas was that bad, and really wanted something better, he could have taken a minimum salary deal on a team that had a better shot of contending.

He went to Arizona for the money. If he thinks the Cardinals will win more than 7 games this year, he's on crack.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 01:43 PM   #3
RendeR
Coordinator

Re: Re: "a diamond surrounded by trash"

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
Well said. Emmitt is full of crap. If he really thought Dallas was that bad, and really wanted something better, he could have taken a minimum salary deal on a team that had a better shot of contending.

He went to Arizona for the money. If he thinks the Cardinals will win more than 7 games this year, he's on crack.

And if anyone thinks Dallas will win 7, they too are on crack.

Emmit left because he wouldn't take a pay cut on money he'd had deferred from earlier seasons, so they let him go, period, he went to arizona because they were the only ones offering him a job.

both these teams need an enema in the ownership and front offices.

America's Team? yeah, whatever....
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 01:47 PM   #4
Malificent
High School JV

He didn't gripe in season, and that says something about him...
Old 08-01-2003, 01:57 PM   #5
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Would Emmit have even played last year if Barry were still around? The record would've been well out of his grasp by then, and I don't even know if he'd have played.

Emmitt should've never played last year, and he's just hanging around now for the recognition.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 02:01 PM   #6
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Would Emmit have even played last year if Barry were still around? The record would've been well out of his grasp by then, and I don't even know if he'd have played.

Emmitt should've never played last year, and he's just hanging around now for the recognition.

You're probably right.

I wish Barry hadn't retired.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:03 PM   #7
DeToxRox
Head Coach

As a life long Lions fan, believe me, I feel your pain.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 02:10 PM   #8
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Shrug.
It's his career and life, I think he's entitled to do what he wants with it. He's obviously still interested in playing football and wants to start. With Parcells coming in, Dallas was going to cut him, period. The Cardinals were the only team that was interested in him in that capacity, not to mention the 2 year $8 million offer he received that no other team would even come close to matching. In my opinion, the Cardinals are going to be just awful this year. They have worse talent than any other team in the league and will quite possibly be the worst team in the league .
I personally think the 'diamond surrounded by trash' line was an unfortunate choice of words for him. Sorry Emmitt, but rushing for 975 yards, even behind that offensive line, is not a 'diamond' performance either. And 'too much damn drama'? This from the guy who changed uniforms after every quarter, hurting his team's chances to win the game because the slipperiness of the uniforms caused him to uncharacteristically fumble twice? He would've been better off keeping his mouth closed.
That said, good luck to Emmitt. It's amazing he still has such durability after playing for all these years. I hope he rushes until he's finally told by 32 teams that he isn't wanted.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 03:02 PM   #9
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Re: Re: "a diamond surrounded by trash"

Quote:

I think if he thinks they win 4 games this year he's pushing it.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 03:20 PM   #10
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

At least in Dallas he had trash around him. I don't think he has even that in Arizona.
Old 08-01-2003, 04:00 PM   #11
tucker342
Pro Starter

True. I think what he has in Arizona would be considered "dog shit"
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 06:32 PM   #12
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm disappointed in Emmitt. This has been big news here in Dallas, and he's upset a lot of his former teammates.

Should make for an interesting game on October 5th, which is cool since I'm gonna be there.

I wonder if he's gonna get booed now at the game. I'm sure he would have received a rocous ovation if this hadn't happened...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 06:37 PM   #13
Franklinnoble
Banned

I dunno... even idiot-boy cowpies fans have to agree that his surrounding cast last year wasn't really up to snuff.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:01 PM   #14
tucker342
Pro Starter

Of course he'll get a standing ovation, I would be very surprised if he didn't...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 09:24 PM   #15
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
I dunno... even idiot-boy cowpies fans have to agree that his surrounding cast last year wasn't really up to snuff.

Last years team certainly wasn't that great, but for Emmitt to talk shit about the organization that took care of him for 13 years is uncalled for. The Cowboys did everything to make sure that Emmitt got the record last year, probably to the detriment of the team in the long run. We still don't know if we have a long term solution at RB. We still don't know how good our QB's can be since we were running the ball more than we needed to. Etc...

It was just a classless move on Emmitt's part...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 09:29 PM   #16
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Re: "a diamond surrounded by trash"

Quote:
Originally posted by mrsimperless
That line about the diamond and the trash gave me a chuckle. But it still can't top "Operation Shutdown".

absolutely right. Operation Shutdown was the funniest quote in the history of sports. I laughed out loud just reading your post... ahh, the stupidity of multi-million dollar athletes.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote