Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-05-2009, 11:30 PM   #51
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I'm just going to say one thing to everyone...

your definately write

Even posting this in jest makes me want to puke a little

kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:31 PM   #52
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

This shit ain't wasn't supposed to be none too serious.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:10 AM   #53
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Here's a fun 'stupid teacher' story I read recently. Okay, it's probably more of an 'obsessed actuaries' story, but if you read all the way through, you'll get to the stupid teacher part:

State Math Problem - Actuarial Outpost

Hey Pass, is the dude in that thread named EweTupper a UTEP alum?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:54 AM   #54
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
I got to this thread sort of late. Sorry, I was planning a vacation for Spring Break and thinking about all of the repairs I'll have time to do around the house all summer long. I also plan to spend a lot of time playing with the dogs, watching baseball on Slingbox while relaxing in my hot tub all the while collecting a paycheck for doing nothing that resembles work for 3 months. Some days I literally fall asleep just thinking about how awesome it is that I can't even remember what it feels like to work while everyone else is getting up. Hell, most people work more before lunch that first Monday I am off than I do the entire summer. The summer, of course, is only 12 of the 16+ weeks a year I get paid to not go to work. Speaking of pay, those paychecks have gotten much bigger having completed my Masters, getting nearly a 50% pay increase all the while doing the exact same job I had been doing. The only difference is that it gets easier and easier each semester.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. Totally exaggerating the point here just to be obnoxious ;-) but I will say that I love my job and would never want it any other way! Teaching is a great gig and if you love learning, love spending time with youth, and enjoy sharing knowledge with peers as well as students, teaching is a fantastic career. You'll always work day-shift, have weekends off, have a union to protect you (plus tenure) and can make a VERY nice living if you play your cards right.

Goodnight, I DO have to work tomorrow though!

yeah but learn to scroll down this summer k?
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #55
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
yeah but learn to scroll down this summer k?

So uptight are we! Relax and enjoy your weekend!
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #56
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
There are people who are bad at their jobs or don't appear to have the required intelligence needed for the occupation. Big shock there.

I'd bet you could substitute any profession for "teachers" and have the exact same problem(s).

This is very true, but it's far less acceptable in education than, in say, marketing. An incompetent marketer won't mess up people forever, just fail to sell a product. Now a successful marketer? Different story . Point being that we shouldn't tolerate inadequate educators. However, structurally we've setup a system which depends on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Having consulted for IT departments in school districts I respect anyone who lived that nightmare.

Main problem I had with the teachers was they all expect the rules of IT, specifically security(which no one understands even exists), should be broken for their own special requirements and needs. It's like that everywhere, except in schools they generally get the backing of principals and superintendents. "Teaching comes before everything" is the general guideline.

Also, the few teachers that taught computer courses thought they were experts while their students were far more knowledgeable. I used to have to fight off teachers declaring they should be managing the mail system. Ugh.

I have a terrific IT department. The reason I have a terrific IT department is they get their job done knowing that teaching comes before everything.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:10 AM   #57
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Just don't go to them if your network falls apart.

If it doesn't, then you don't fully grasp the environment I was describing. I am talking about teachers and librarians sharing their user and passwords with students with the principal's permission because it allows them to teach more easily(or in one case, check out books more quickly). Don't even get me started on idle time triggered lockouts to prevent students from accessing systems they are not supposed to or god forbid a password expiration.

I mean real basic things like that. School's security is tested FAR more than any corporate environment, but you are not allowed to implement even the basics. It just annoys the teachers too much. Most of who are idiots on a pedestal.

Anyways, like I said, I just consulted for a few of them. Not a chance in hell I'd ever work at one. Not only does the job itself suck, but generally the pay is 30-50% less.

Last edited by jeff061 : 02-07-2009 at 11:17 AM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #58
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Ok you're right, I wasn't understanding what you were describing. That's just something that shouldn't be allowed to happen. At my school I'm responsible for collecting the passwords from the 4th and 5th graders, which is the age when they get their own log-in. I'm proud to say that their passwords are more secure than the Middle and High Schoolers who are allowed to use their names and have no minimum length or letter/number requirement.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:06 PM   #59
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

IT guys must not be bright either since the one in the original post didn't show the teacher how to scroll down the first time he was asked.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:54 PM   #60
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Aren't IT guys just computer science majors who couldn't hack being a programmer?

(I kid, I hope to go into IT one day)
Old 02-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #61
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Aren't IT guys just computer science majors who couldn't hack being a programmer?

(I kid, I hope to go into IT one day)

My paycheck says otherwise .

Kidding aside, there is some truth to that stereotype(these are mainly people I supported for years and MS makes it easy to survive). However, you'd be surprised how many developers out there remain low to mid level their entire careers. Not any higher on the technology ladder than their IT counterparts.

Last edited by jeff061 : 02-07-2009 at 06:29 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote