Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Bill Gates overrated or Underrated?
Overrated 8 10.81%
Underrated 57 77.03%
Man he looks like a trout 9 12.16%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2008, 09:55 AM   #51
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

I is thinking his tax bill is far, far less than that over those 4 years. Regardless of any tax benefit, what he's given is well in excess of that. I think he'd be respected even if he just gave what his tax bill was every year, but he's gone light years behind that.

This is exactly right. I'm sure lots of rich guys give just to avoid paying taxes (although of course that's not exactly to their benefit, just paying someone else instead of the Feds). But I think it's clear that Gates is not in this crowd, the amount of giving and the amount of personal effort he's put into setting up the foundation make clear that he has other motives.

I understand your point, RendeR, but I think you just don't have a lot of particular knowledge about the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and about what he's put into it. Your argument would make sense about a generic rich guy, but doesn't hold up well when it comes to Gates.

Gates has given well over $29 billion to his foundation. If you think he would have paid more than $29 billion in taxes in that time I think you're mistaken. Anyone who has listened to him talk about the foundation, or been involved with it knows it's more than just a line item to him.

Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:20 AM   #52
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
It cracks me up that:

a) people feel they should be able to tell him to how to spend his money
b) believe the government will do a better job with his money than he will

I laughed at that. If the foundation does become a bigger power than the WHO/UN, I have zero problems with that. However, the foundation works with partners throughout the world.

Also, when did it become illegal to donate your money in lieu of taxes? Do you really want to give the government MORE money? At least the Gates Foundation will create a lasting impact. You give that money to the government, I can guarantee you that you won't see any long-term impacts from it. It not as if he is stashing his wealth in offshore bank accounts to hide from his tax debts.

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-24-2008 at 11:21 AM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #53
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I am not saying that the tihngs his money does aren't great and good, but if you honestly believe he created them out of some kindness in his heart then you're a fool.

I can tell you first hand that Gates is a true-believer with the Foundation and its goals. For all of his faults, the guy is a genuine humanitarian.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:25 PM   #54
Logan
Head Coach

LIAR!!! ASSHOLE!
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:12 PM   #55
Kodos
Resident Alien

His charitable work in the destruction of the Dallas Cowboys was over and above the call of duty. I salute you, Billy boy.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:45 PM   #56
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
His charitable work in the destruction of the Dallas Cowboys was over and above the call of duty. I salute you, Billy boy.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:13 PM   #57
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

I'm not sure which of the new smilies is more appropriate here:

or

or

If I had to choose one, though, it would most likely be:

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 06-24-2008 at 11:13 PM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #58
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
LIAR!!! ASSHOLE!

Harsh.....

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-25-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:39 PM   #59
RendeR
Coordinator

Ok, allow me to at least say that the overwhelming attitudes here gave me reason to do some research and while my general opinion of people with more money than god remains quite negative, I have to admit that based on the numerous articles and reports I found and skimmed through that Gates and his wife have done some pretty amazing things.

Color me convinced for now.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #60
RendeR
Coordinator

Besides, anyone who utterly detroys the Dallas Cowboys as a franchise can't be all bad.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #61
Kodos
Resident Alien

Amen, brother. Amen.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #62
Autumn
Head Coach

Glad to hear it. I know where you're coming from, I have a pretty negative attitude towards people who can have more money than entire countries and not feel compelled to do greater good with it. But Gates seems to be one of the few who has felt the same way.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:01 PM   #63
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Glad to hear it. I know where you're coming from, I have a pretty negative attitude towards people who can have more money than entire countries and not feel compelled to do greater good with it. But Gates seems to be one of the few who has felt the same way.

Just curious, why "should" they? It's great that they do. If they earned it, then I don't think it's any body's business as to what they do with it. Also, just because someone who is multi-millionaire or billionaire, it doesn't mean they have that sitting in a bank some place. They're what their businesses/assets are worth.

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-25-2008 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 06-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #64
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Just curious, why "should" they? It's great that they do. If they earned it, then I don't think it's any body's business as to what they do with it. Also, someone who is multi-millionaire or billionaire doesn't mean they have that sitting in a bank some place. They're what their businesses/assets are worth.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:24 PM   #65
Logan
Head Coach

And they also create businesses which gives plenty of people jobs, and those people earn salaries that are spent at other people's businesses, and that's basically how our economy grows.

I'm not saying all millionaires/billionaires are saints, but many indirectly do a lot to help everyone.

Last edited by Logan : 06-25-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:30 PM   #66
Autumn
Head Coach

I don't mean "should" as if they're obligated somehow. I mean "should" in the sense that in my personal ethics it is wrong to have more wealth than a million other people and not do something about that. Obviously plenty of people disagree, thus our world today.

I realize that wealth does not equal cash, and that wealth often (but not always) involves job creation. But I think it is just as clear that someone with enough wealth to be among the richest individuals in the world clearly has more than they need, and clearly has enough money that they could easily solve problems for thousands and thousands of people who A) do not have the resources to solve those problems, and B) are very likely to die of them. I myself could not be in that position and sleep at night without at the very least doing what Bill Gates does. Clearly I will never be in that position.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:49 PM   #67
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I don't mean "should" as if they're obligated somehow. I mean "should" in the sense that in my personal ethics it is wrong to have more wealth than a million other people and not do something about that. Obviously plenty of people disagree, thus our world today.

I realize that wealth does not equal cash, and that wealth often (but not always) involves job creation. But I think it is just as clear that someone with enough wealth to be among the richest individuals in the world clearly has more than they need, and clearly has enough money that they could easily solve problems for thousands and thousands of people who A) do not have the resources to solve those problems, and B) are very likely to die of them. I myself could not be in that position and sleep at night without at the very least doing what Bill Gates does. Clearly I will never be in that position.

And there's definitely people all over the world, far poorer than you, who wonder why someone in America, with your wealth, needs all the luxuries you enjoy, instead of sharing what you make with them.

Sure, Gates has far more "discretionary" income than you or I almost anyone. But he has no greater "duty" to give (if there is such a duty), than anyone else, at least proportionally.

Last edited by molson : 06-25-2008 at 07:50 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:01 PM   #68
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Jesus Christ... can't someone have a different moral belief and make a throw away comment about their moral beliefs without the freaking third degree about it?
Old 06-25-2008, 08:06 PM   #69
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Jesus Christ... can't someone have a different moral belief and make a throw away comment about their moral beliefs without the freaking third degree about it?

Nope.

It's a message board. Sharing your opinions/beliefs are fine, but you're inviting criticisms/critiques/disagreements/praise/agreement, anything. It'd be pretty boring if every reply was "+1".
Old 06-25-2008, 08:09 PM   #70
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

We could... you know... talk about the original topic at hand.

I'm just waiting for someone to say, yes, we should be under a world government and everyone in the West should be taxed highly and have their wealth going to help the less fortunate in the 3rd World and then this thread to collapse upon itself. Hasn't this topic been done to death on these forums?
Old 06-25-2008, 08:13 PM   #71
molson
General Manager

Are all 12,601 of your posts on topic with the thread title? Don't make me go back and check...
Old 06-25-2008, 08:13 PM   #72
Logan
Head Coach

Also think it's important to point out that some of these people don't want (or need) their names attached to the good things they do. Through a work relationship, I can tell you that one of the biggest pricks out there, George Steinbrenner, donates millions every year anonymously to organizations in NYC and other areas. One of his favorites is being the guy that funds the "Dear Santa" requests from kids whose families don't have the means to buy gifts.

Yankee fans should not let this news excuse the Jay Buhner trade.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:16 PM   #73
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Are all 12,601 of your posts on topic with the thread title? Don't make me go back and check...

I try not to rehash arguments that have been done to death and over again in unrelated threads.

Anyway, I think we'll see a number of retrospectives on Bill Gates' career and legacy this week. CNet already has something up. By Friday, it'll be on all the major news sites. I think it may refresh people's thinking on how quickly Gates built up a computer empire and what an amazing businessman he really was.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:43 PM   #74
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
And there's definitely people all over the world, far poorer than you, who wonder why someone in America, with your wealth, needs all the luxuries you enjoy, instead of sharing what you make with them.

Sure, Gates has far more "discretionary" income than you or I almost anyone. But he has no greater "duty" to give (if there is such a duty), than anyone else, at least proportionally.

Yes, your first paragraph is absolutely right, and that's why I'm busy doing something about it. I in fact do share what I make with them, as paltry as it is around here.

And yes, I agree, the rich have no "duty" and they are not required to do anything, any more than I am.

But I don't agree that the difference between him and me is only that of proportion. If we quantified how much a person needs to live, even to live extravagantly, it would still be a tiny fraction of his wealth. That's obviously very different from a regular Joe, like myself, who in fact does not have any wealth, and needs every paycheck to get by. There is much more than a difference of proportion there, it is a qualitative difference.

But to get back on topic, we can applaud Gates and all his peers who have both allowed me to make a living working at home on my computer, and allowed us to help the rest of the world so much easier for the same reason.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:04 PM   #75
Galaxy
Coordinator

The super wealthy are ushering in a new era of philanthropy. Gates and Buffet are just the elite guys. Barron Hilton (grandpa of the Hilton sisters) pledged his estate (at least $2 billion dollars) to charity. Michael Dell and his wife have a $1 billion-plus foundation. British hedge fund manager Chris Hohn just donated a half of billion pounds (what's that, over a $1 billion US?).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...aritablegiving

I think the biggest change is that they are no longer just writing checks. They are getting pro-active and demanding results. I think this part could be huge.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:58 PM   #76
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:

Overrated for that alone.

Actually, it does seem that he has progressed from his "I'm richer than God," jerk phase to "time to make the world a better place," phase.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:01 PM   #77
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
Overrated for that alone.

Actually, it does seem that he has progressed from his "I'm richer than God," jerk phase to "time to make the world a better place," phase.

To be honest, I never got that "richer than God" vibe from him. I get that from Trump, but not Gates. Gates is just ultra-competitive, maybe too competitive (if that is such a bad thing in business). Plus, he got very rich at a very young age. He's still pretty young.

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-26-2008 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:05 PM   #78
SFL Cat
College Starter

He shed it quickly after he married back in '94 or '95. Nothing like a good woman to keep a man honest.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 06-25-2008 at 11:06 PM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:46 AM   #79
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Nope.

It's a message board. Sharing your opinions/beliefs are fine, but you're inviting criticisms/critiques/disagreements/praise/agreement, anything. It'd be pretty boring if every reply was "+1".

+1

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:50 AM   #80
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
I try not to rehash arguments that have been done to death and over again in unrelated threads.

Why not? You're totally missing out, man!

Plus, if you dont, no one would be able to use these smilies:

Think of the smilies!
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:22 AM   #81
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Why not? You're totally missing out, man!

Plus, if you dont, no one would be able to use these smilies:

Think of the smilies!

Old 06-26-2008, 03:10 PM   #82
Galaxy
Coordinator

I can't believe this is the same person that we're talking about back in youth:

Old 02-05-2009, 12:41 PM   #83
Galaxy
Coordinator

Has Gates gone a little crazy since leaving Mircosoft?

FOXNews.com - Bill Gates Unleashes Swarm of Mosquitoes on Crowd - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News
Old 02-05-2009, 01:37 PM   #84
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

How soon before someone puts up a t-shirt design that says "I paid $5,000 to attend TED and all I got were these mosquito bites"?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote