Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #51
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I always hear people moaning about the cost of popcorn and soda. Please.

You pay what they are asking on site and you have nothing to complain about. Bring some snacks from home and be done with it.

rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:20 PM   #52
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I can't go to the movies without getting popcorn and a drink. Sometimes I will pocket candy and bring that in. My wife and I split a large soda and a large popcorn and very rarely go for any kind of refill.

To me that is just as much a part of the experience as the movie itself.

+1

If I'm in a position where I'm not comfortable spending that amount (absurdly high though it may be) I'd really rather not go at all.

And before anybody gets their panties in a wad, I'm not saying you shouldn't go if you don't/won't/can't, I'm strictly saying I would rather not. Has nothing to do with the theatre or their profit margin or anything else, has everything to do with what I personally consider part of the movie experience. And often as not the best part of that experience.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:31 PM   #53
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
+1

If I'm in a position where I'm not comfortable spending that amount (absurdly high though it may be) I'd really rather not go at all.

And before anybody gets their panties in a wad, I'm not saying you shouldn't go if you don't/won't/can't, I'm strictly saying I would rather not. Has nothing to do with the theatre or their profit margin or anything else, has everything to do with what I personally consider part of the movie experience. And often as not the best part of that experience.

so true.

I won't even go to a movie unless we can get there early enough to get popcorn, etc.. and be in our seats before the previews begin.

Granted, I don't have children so I would imagine that all changes.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:41 PM   #54
rkmsuf
Head Coach

how bizzare that people can't watch a movie without crappy popcorn
Old 01-26-2009, 04:50 PM   #55
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
how bizzare that people can't watch a movie without crappy popcorn

shrug

I need something to gnosh on, and nuts wont do.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #56
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
shrug

I need something to gnosh on, and nuts wont do.

no gay jokes in your direction then
Old 01-26-2009, 04:54 PM   #57
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
no gay jokes in your direction then

it was an obscure seinfeld reference, maybe to obscure.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:55 PM   #58
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

oh, well if you are gay then carry on
Old 01-26-2009, 04:58 PM   #59
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Granted, I don't have children so I would imagine that all changes.

Not really, or at least not with us & one kid, having the Brady Bunch might require some adjustment. I guess you become so accustomed to making cost adjustments when you add a kid that it becomes kind of automatic or unconscious. My wife & I got a great example of that recently when we had a rare occasion to have lunch out while he was at school ... we thought something was wrong with the check because it was so much lower than we expected.

Going to the theater is supposed to be an experience IMO, that has always been part of the appeal (at least in the US, no idea whether the same holds true elsewhere in the world now that I think about that for a second). Part of that experience is the popcorn & such, probably as much as the coming attractions. To some extent like scorecards at baseball games, cotton candy at the circus, or funnel cakes at the fair.

If I just wanted to watch a movie I'd simply wait on the DVD & watch at home. And to give you some idea of how interesting that would be for me, I think I've personally watched (i.e something I wanted to watch, not something my son happened to have on with me in the room) a grand total of maybe two movies on DVD or even VHS in the past ten years.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:58 PM   #60
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Apparently.

I thought it was a reference to the lightly salted dry roasted thread.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:33 AM   #61
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taur View Post
How do you get free refills before you leave the line? Do you drink and eat as much as you can before handing the cups and tubs back to them for a free refills? I have only gotten refills on my Coke and that was when I was leaving the theater.

Eh, my guess "Okay, I'm paying for a large, which with the free refills policy really entitles me to two large tubs. So make with the second tub, please!"
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:58 AM   #62
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Eh, my guess "Okay, I'm paying for a large, which with the free refills policy really entitles me to two large tubs. So make with the second tub, please!"

I am curious about the container they put it in.

Pretty much all theaters count the cups and containers popcorn and soda go in. Thats how they track inventory and know attendants arent giving stuff away/ pocketing money.

Thats why they wont give you a bigger cup for water or an extra bag if you want to split on popcorn.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:33 AM   #63
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taur View Post
How do you get free refills before you leave the line? Do you drink and eat as much as you can before handing the cups and tubs back to them for a free refills? I have only gotten refills on my Coke and that was when I was leaving the theater.

Actually the first time we did it it was because the popcorn-filler/salesperson guy suggested it, and it caught us off guard. He said, "that was you don't have to get up during the movie." So he scribbled something on the popcorn buckets - and we walked away from the popcorn trough with two of 'em.

Been doing it ever since. Must be a theater decision, because when we've asked for it since no one has ever given us flack about it.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #64
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I am curious about the container they put it in.

Pretty much all theaters count the cups and containers popcorn and soda go in. Thats how they track inventory and know attendants arent giving stuff away/ pocketing money.

Thats why they wont give you a bigger cup for water or an extra bag if you want to split on popcorn.

Actually the only bad experience we ever had at that theater was regarding this. When my youngest was three-ish, and couldn't be trusted with any operation so complicated as reaching into a tub of popcorn so as not to spill it everywhere, my wife asked for a small bag to put the girls' popcorn.

Was told no, can't give ya nothing, sorryboutthat.

She came into the theater aggravated, told me about it. I went back out with the large popcorn in hand, and asked for some sort of container, and was told that they use them to track inventory.

Alright, I said, what containers do you have up here that you do not track for inventory? Turns out they had some cardboard tray thingy. Great, I'll take two. Problem solved.

After the movie I tracked down the manager and asked if there was some accomodation that could be made more easily in the future, and ever since then, they've had small plastic bags available for kids to share popcorn.

It's a very well-run theater, I'd give it consistently high marks for customer service.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:48 AM   #65
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Honestly, I'm guessing an economist probably could suggest some better pricing schemes. Maybe ticket prices rise as a movie gets closer to sellout? Maybe they really spike during prime-time showings on Friday and Saturday?

I have a hunch thought that the theatres make so little profit on tickets compared to concessions that lower prices on tickets probably just draw in cheaper viewers anyway who are more likely to watch the movie without buying any food. So even if you had 1 dollar matinees, you might not attract customers who were all that worth the effort - and in fact you'd probably just be pulling those customers from another time of day when they would have been willing to pay 5-10 bucks.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote