Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-21-2000, 10:45 PM   #1
CubsFan915
High School Varsity

Cool Ok, kids, it's the FOFCentral.com version of the Vegas Challenge!

It takes a village...

A long, long time ago, somebody came up with an idea: Let's share a team across the internet! The Village Challenge was born.

A decision was made to take over the Oakland Raiders, and see to what glory they could be led.

Along the way, people have come, and people have gone. I, myself, was not one of the original five, and for the life of my don't remember who they were.

Along the way, the Raiders moved from Oakland to Las Vegas, and were very, very successful. How successful?

We are about to begin the 2083 season. In the 85 seasons of the challenge, the Raider franchise has gone 858-483-3, for an impressive .639 winning percentage. We have been to the playoffs 53 times (62%), and have a playoff record of 72-41 (.637). The Raiders have been the the FOF Bowl 17 times (Green Bay is next at 12), and have won the title 12 of those times. (New England is next at 8.)

The Raiders won the FOF Bowl in 2007, 2008, 2015, 2027, 2029, 2041, 2045, 2050, 2057, 2069, 2071, and 2076.

The Raiders franchise is currently worth an amazing $5.35 billion dollars, which makes the 5 owners some remarkably wealthy virtual men.

Some of the true legends of the game have played for the storied Raider franchise. Some of these football immortals include:

RB Vernon Chandler: 3 time Offensive Player of the Year, 2-time Solecismic MVP, 15,876 yards, and 127 TD in a 14-year career.
QB Bruce Paufler: A true legend at quarterback. Bruce won an unheard-of SIX Solecismic League MVP awards in a row between 2012 and 2017. In 17 years, he amassed 55,092 passing yards, and 364 TD.
QB Bo Bryant: In his 18-year career, Bo Bryant literally re-wrote the Raider record book. A 14-year starter, he totalled 53,263 yards (a Raider record, as Paufler finished his career with another team), and 355 TD passes. Still the most revered of the Raider quarterbacks, his career totals are still Raider records.
RB Patrick Schwimmer: The great, great-nephew of "Friends" star David Schwimmer had a LOT of friends in Las Vegas. An overall number 1 pick in 2038, He was named Rookie of the Year and Player of the year in his very first season by setting the all-time single season TD record (23). He tied the record the very next year. In 13 years, Paddy racked up 17,608 yards, and 198 TD. 33 years later, both of these totals are still league records.

One of the most interesting facets of this challenge is the "keeper rule." Each participant can name up to 3 (?) players to this list. These players MUST be kept on the roster whenever possible: no trades, and they must be given the franchise tag if necessary to keep them on the roster. This creates a lot more cohesion, while often challenging the players to work around the large cap amounts these players often demand.

As we enter the year 2083, the Raider franchise is on one of their worst skids ever. The Raiders have missed the playoffs 4 years running, which is an all-time high.

Running the Richmond Confederates of the FOBL into the ground since 2001.

CubsFan915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2000, 12:01 AM   #2
CubsFan915
High School Varsity

2083 Off-season

We finished the 2082 season with a record of 9-7, missing the playoffs by a mere 1 point. We finished in a tie with Cincinnati, who beat us by 1 point in the first week of the season. Very upsetting, indeed.

We hired away a new lead scout, to go along with the new head coach we hired last season. We lost TE Roderick Jefferies, FB Joseph Burgess, and LB Burt Ritchie to retirement. They were all backups, so they will be missed, but without hurting us as much as losing 3 starters would have. We also designated the only remaining TE on our roster, Brent Rucci, as our franchise player.

Just in case I failed to mention it before the delete-a-thon in the old pad, QB Eric McNiven and TE Neil Winters entered the Raider Hall of Fame.

I've requested a new stadium from the city of Las Vegas, as our old place is 42 years old, and costing a lot to maintain. The new crib was scheduled to cost over $6 billion, but since we're making $2 billion a year in profit, we can afford to kick in half of that cost. We'll find out what happens at the end of the off-season...

Free agency:

Week 2, we sign FB Ethan Craig away from Cincinnati, and K Vincent Reeves from Green Bay. I may have messed up, as both guys have 14 years experience, and I relly didn't want to get older. Hope this doesn't bite us later on, but both are signed to only 2-year deals, and Craig signed bonus-free.
Wwek 6, we sign TE Darrell Sullenger from San Diego. He's a backup, but only 5 years experience, so he's still young. We sign noone else in free agency, but lose disgruntled WR Darrell Sanderson to Cincinnati. He wouldn't resign with us, but he was our 4th WR anyway.

This is interesting: Ciny just offered to trade Sanderson back, plus a 2nd round pick, for S Carl Gehrig. Gehrig's a keeper, but even is he wasn;t I wouldn't make this trade. We go into the draft with the 13, 21, and 23 picks. We'll be looking to trade up for an impact player.

The Draft
There is an impact WR out there. We could use a great young wideout, as we've got one superstar and some aging vets. There's also a high-quality DT out there, and we can use some quality there as well. I'll have to be really careful how I play this-I'd like to get both of them, but doubt that the opportunity will arise...

After just 1 pick, I can see that the wideout's not going to last. Kansas City drafts who I think is the second-rated WR in the draft, and I think Raleigh next will jump on him... I just don't feel comfortable giving up as many high picks as Raleigh wants, and they grab him. How far do I let it go before getting the DT?

Some of the top guys are off the board, and I'm getting nervous. At 9, I think we have to make a move. We send 23 and #21 in teh 3rd round to Tennessee for number 9.

9. DT Louie Barnes, Florida
We've got him rated as the top defensive tackle in the draft, and depth is a problem there. I like being able to fill a need position with a "want" pick, especially this high. A true stud rushing the passer, and he'll be great against the run, too.

There's a great tackle on the board, too. (Apparently, I have a thing for offensive lineman, since it seems I only draft linemen in the first round. Both my number 1 picks last year were on the O-line as well). I trade pick 21, and pick 23 in the third round, to Greensboro for pick 10.

10. T Brandon Rodham, Missouri
We have him rated as the second-best offensive lineman on the borad, behind a center (where we've already got an absolute stud). He should mature into an all-around top-notch lineman. He and last year's 10th pick, Brent Ferguson, should bookend the line for years to come if we can keep them together.

13. DE Kevin Plangeard, Cal-Sacramento
We're getting a bit long in the tooth at defensive end, and Bryant should be ready by the time current starter Edgar Norton is ready to hang up his cleats. A HUGE (6'7", 285) player, he's got some serious upside, especially as a run-stopper.

We go until the 3rd round, and damned if there aren't still some very nice cornerbacks available! We don't need help there, but maybe I can trade one for a player who will help and replace him in the draft... We end up trading CB Ernie MOrton to Chicago for LB Darren Fuller. We save about $14 million in cap room, and fill in a spot where we desperately need help. We the replace Fuller.

93. CB Wes Flowers, Arizona
A true stud. Tops on the board against the run, and the pass, and great hands, too. He's a true 7.6 potential, missing only special teams ability to be the total package down the line.

129. K Andre Rayburn, Baylor
I know I just signed a kicker, but the guy I signed has 14 years experience, and Rayburn was too good to pass up. A bit weak, but very accurate, with a surprising number of touchbacks in college.

165. LB Lawrence McGregor, Akron
A bit undersized at 5'11". A decnet backup, but no chance to be a starter for us.

We trade the 6th and 7th round picks to Dallas for their number 5 next year, and our draft ends.

We sign all our draft picks, and pick up the best wide receivers (2 of them) and G that were training camp casualties to fill in our depth chart. We end up with 50 players under contract, and over $36 million in cap room. Also, our stadium vote passes, so in 5 years we'll have a brand new place. ("Schwimmer-Bryant Memorial Stadium"?)

I'll play the season tomorrow. Who's next?

Old 10-22-2000, 06:05 PM   #3
CubsFan915
High School Varsity

Ok, here's the deal:

I had just made it all the way through the season, and was about to start the playoffs (which we had finally made!) when my computer froze up and crashed. Of course, I'm too much of a moron to save regularly, so it's all gone.

So, I'm going to replay the season, posting only bare bones, so I can be finish my turn, and get this ready to pass on, since I've had this long enough. (2 freaking hours down the drain!)

Exhibition season:

Peoria 24, Las Vegas 16
Las Vegas 17, Green Bay 16
Las Vegas 17, Tampa Bay 10
Louisville 34,Las Vegas 23

Regular Season

Las Vegas 23, Huntsville 17
MVP: LB Mario Turnbull, 6 tackles, 1 INT. Jose Roberts 15-30, 238 passing yards, 2 TD.

Las Vegas 33, San Diego 13
MVP: K Vincent Reeves: 4 FG, 3 XP.

Seattle 27, Las Vegas 24
QB Jose Roberts, 20-40, 288, 2 TD. WR Stan Farmer 4-87.

Las Vegas 36, Denver 34
MVP: K Vincent Reeves: 5 FG (including 52 and 54 yarders) 3 XP. QB Jose Roberts 22-37, 331, 2 TD.

Las Vegas 34, Tampa Bay 7
MVP: RB Randy Hampton: 20-103, 2 TD. QB Jose Roberts 20-34, 216 2 TD. We're 4-1 going into the bye, 1/2 game ahead of Seattle.

Las Vegas 30, Kansas City 15
MVP: QB Jose Roberts: 20-29, 248, 1 TD. RB Randy Hampton: 23-104, 2 TD.

Las Vegas 37, Denver 16
MVP: S Zach Turk: 7 tackles, 1 sack. QB Jose Roberts 21-31, 288, 2 TD. DE Edgar Norton 2 tackles, 3 assists, 2.5 sacks.

Las Vegas 27, Kansas City 23
MVP: LB Mario Turnbull: 7 tackles, 6 assists, 1 sack. QB Roberts 15-26, 239, 3 TD.

We're 7-1 (very surprising to me!) We've got a 2 game lead on Seattle, and the best record in the league.

Roberts has 2015 yards (#4 in league), 17 TD (#2), and a rating of 98.7 (#2). Hampton has 510 yards and 6 TD. (tied for #5). WR Stan Farmer has 484 yards and 5 TDs (tied for #5)to lead the team, while Tom Wolf leags with 28 catches. DE Edgar Norton has 6 sacks, while CB Trevor Simmons has 3 interceptions.

Peoria 28, Las Vegas 23
QB Roberts 23-37, 375, 4 TD. WR Vinny Sutton 6-139.

Baltimore 32, Las Vegas 26
TE Brett Rucci 6-122, 1 TD.

Las Vegas 34, Huntsville 28
MVP: QB Roberts 23-42, 289, 4 TD. RB Hampton 15-107, 1 TD.

Las Vegas 22, Seattle 17
MVP: S Carl Gehrig: 12 tackles, 1 INT. Roberts: 15-33, 243, 1 TD. K Vincent Reeves 5-5 FG (long 57).

Las Vegas 37, Chicago 27
MVP: CB Trevor Simmons: 3 tackles, 2 INT. Roberts 20-32, 300, 4 TD. WR Vinny Sutton 7-142, 3 TD. RB Randy Hampton pulled his groin, and will likely be out until next season.

Indianapolis 22, Las Vegas 10

Las Vegas 36, San Diego 19
MVP: K Vincent Reeves 5 FG, 3 XP. The win clinches the division for us, and we're back in the playoffs for the first time in 5 years! We even have a shot at home-field advantage throughout, and have already sealed up at least 1 home game.

Green Bay 32, Las Vegas 25
QB Roberts 15-37, 265, 2 TD. We miss out on homefield throughout, but will host a game in Week 2.

QB Jose Roberts finished with 4034 yards (#2, by 18 yards), 32 TD (#1) versus only 10 INT, and a 88.7 rating (#4).
RB Randy Hampton ended his season with 753 yards in 13 games.
WR Tom Wolf led the team with 53 catches and 908 yards, as well as 9 TD (tied for #4).
DE Edgar Norton finishes with 14 sacks, and CB Trevor Simmons ends up with 6 INT (tied for #9).

On to the playoffs!

[This message has been edited by CubsFan915 (edited 10-22-2000).]

Old 10-22-2000, 06:18 PM   #4
CubsFan915
High School Varsity

Playoffs-Week 1

Tennessee (9-5-2) 20, Baltimore (10-5-1) 13
San Francisco (8-8) 23, Dallas (10-6) 20
New Jersey (10-6) 20, Pittsburgh (9-5-2) 15
Louisville (10-6) 30, St. Louis (9-7) 20

Playoffs-Week 2
Carolina (12-4) 27, San Francisco (9-8) 10
Louisville (11-6) 29, Green Bay (11-4-1) 24
New England (12-4) 34, Tennessee (10-5-2) 3
New Jersey (11-6) 24, Las Vegas (11-5) 3

In the end, losing Hampton hurt - a lot. We limped into the playoffs, and got bitten.

Playoffs-Week 3
Carolina (13-4) 26, Louisville (12-6) 10
New England (13-4) 26, New Jersey (12-6) 15

FOF Bowl
New England (14-4) 41, Carolina (14-4) 21

AWARDS:

QB Jose Roberts had an amazing season, much better than his history led me to believe he would have. He was named Offensive Player of The Year, as well as 1st Team All-League.
K Vincent Reeves earned 1st Team All-League honors.
LB Darren Fuller, acquired from Chicago during the draft, earned his second consecutive 1st Team All-League Award.
CB Trevor Simmons was named to the 1st Team All-League as well.

I don't envy the cap manuevering the next GM has to do, as we've got some key players in for some big-time raises (like Randy Hampton, who wants about a $20-million pay raise). We've got a bit of cap room, but not too much.

Who's next?

Old 10-22-2000, 08:55 PM   #5
SackAttack
Head Coach

BenBen is, I believe.

Josh
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2000, 10:03 PM   #6
CubsFan915
High School Varsity

Has he shown up yet?

BenBen, you out there?

Anyway, the keeper list as I got the files was:

QB Jose Roberts
RB Randy Hampton
WR Howie Franklin
WR Tom Wolf
DE Edgar Norton
CB Trevor Simmons
S Carl Gehrig

I will exercise my right to add 3 players:
T Brandon Rodham
DT Louie Barnes (Bud... Weis... Er...)
LB Darren Fuller

BenBen, let me know when you make it over here (and give me your e-mail address again), and I'll send it along...

------------------
GO HOKIES!! BEAT PITTSBURGH!!!

[This message has been edited by CubsFan915 (edited 10-22-2000).]

Old 10-22-2000, 10:20 PM   #7
SackAttack
Head Coach

I haven't seen him yet. Um, this could just be me, but I thought Simmons got inadvertently traded by Shag. Or was that Freeman?

Josh
Old 10-23-2000, 05:33 AM   #8
ShagVT
H.S. Freshman Team

Talking

That was QB Freeman - it would be really weird if a player we traded away won 1st team for us, wouldn't it??

I'm not really surprised that Roberts came on like that. He's at the beginning of his prime. We just needed some time to build a little cohesion. It sounds like you addresses the O-line problems too.
ShagVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2000, 01:49 AM   #9
andy m
High School Varsity

Question

has this been sent to the next guy yet? if not, and he doesn't turn up today, send it on to SackAttack...
Old 10-26-2000, 12:38 PM   #10
CubsFan915
High School Varsity

Not yet... I'll forward it on to Josh when I get a chance this evening, though...

------------------
GO HOKIES!! BEAT PITTSBURGH!!!

Old 10-28-2000, 10:39 AM   #11
ShagVT
H.S. Freshman Team

Question

Hello?
Old 10-28-2000, 01:30 PM   #12
SackAttack
Head Coach

I was asking myself the same question.

Josh
Old 10-29-2000, 09:41 AM   #13
CubsFan915
High School Varsity

Damn, I thought I had sent it along to Josh yesterday morning...

Josh, the universe file is on the way as I type!

Old 10-29-2000, 04:32 PM   #14
SackAttack
Head Coach

Procrastination is a crime, it only leads to sorrow.

I can stop at any time...I think I will tomorrow!

:-P

FWIW, I received and unzipped the file at around noon today. I'm going to start a little later on this evening.

Josh
Old 10-29-2000, 09:50 PM   #15
SackAttack
Head Coach

Its 8 pm pacific right now. I'll be starting in an hour or two. Just thought I'd let y'all know.

Josh
Old 10-30-2000, 07:37 AM   #16
ShagVT
H.S. Freshman Team

It's 9AM EST now, and nothing....
Old 10-30-2000, 07:42 AM   #17
andy m
High School Varsity

Wink

um, he started another thread
Old 10-30-2000, 03:17 PM   #18
SackAttack
Head Coach

Yeah, I figured it would be a little easier for me to sort stuff out if I didn't have to sort through a thread half full of meaningless posts.

Josh