Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #1
dickysty
n00b

Don't forget to hug your pet everyday.

I just to make sure all you guys take the time to hug your pet today and everyday.

My wife and I just had to put down our 13 ½ year old Labrador Maddie on Thursday afternoon.

These last few days have been toughest we’ve faced in a long time. Being that we don’t have kids it’s hit us particularly hard as she was our daughter.

I just thought I would share a few pics with you guys. As Maddie was a special dog, I mean she was loved by everyone that meet her and her personality was unbelievable.

dickysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #2
st.cronin
General Manager

That's rough. My condolences.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #3
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Sorry to hear that, I know how they can become one of the family.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
So sorry to hear it...ours got picked up from the boarders today so they have gotten lots of love, and a long trip to the dog park to run off some energy. She was a lucky dog to have a family who loved her as much as you did.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:33 PM   #5
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Very sorry to hear. It's never easy. Just try to take some solace in the fact that Madie had a wonderful life.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:34 PM   #6
RainMaker
General Manager

Real sorry to hear that. Went through the same thing a little over a year ago. Take solace in the fact that she lived a fantastic life.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
Arctic Blast
n00b

That's really too bad. I know how attached I am to the family dog, so I can imagine how hard this has been for you. Condolences.
Arctic Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:49 PM   #8
MrBug708
Head Coach

Thoughts
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 04:55 PM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Sad...

I have 3 dogs and 2 cats.. and every one of them are a part of our family.

Hope you're doing ok..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:26 PM   #10
SackAttack
Head Coach

my lab got a big hug this morning.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 08:21 PM   #11
miked
College Starter

My dog got her glands cleaned today. I'm waiting for the hug until after the bath. Sorry to hear about your dog, we lost our dachshund a year and a half ago to a sudden illness. Tough times.

Last edited by miked : 05-24-2008 at 08:22 PM.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:09 PM   #12
Mota
College Benchwarmer

When my son was first diagnosed with diabetes 2 years ago, a local community helper dog that came in to the local hospital. It really brought him a lot of joy to see this wonderful German Sheppard come visit him.

I just found out yesterday that King had been run over by a car repeatedly in his own driveway and died. That's pretty sad. First of all to deliberately drive into someone's driveway and kill a dog. Second that it was a really special dog like that one that really helped kids when they were feeling vulnerable.

So I don't have a dog of my own, but I'll make sure my son gets extra hugs tomorrow.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:19 PM   #13
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. My condolences.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:38 PM   #14
gkb
High School Varsity

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I know how much you can grow to love them and how hard it can be once they're gone.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:12 PM   #15
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I just finished a big snuggle session with my dog, my condolences.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #16
RawIsDan
High School JV

Sorry to hear that. I have a dog and am dreading that day when it comes.
RawIsDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:26 PM   #17
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
When my son was first diagnosed with diabetes 2 years ago, a local community helper dog that came in to the local hospital. It really brought him a lot of joy to see this wonderful German Sheppard come visit him.

I just found out yesterday that King had been run over by a car repeatedly in his own driveway and died. That's pretty sad. First of all to deliberately drive into someone's driveway and kill a dog. Second that it was a really special dog like that one that really helped kids when they were feeling vulnerable.

So I don't have a dog of my own, but I'll make sure my son gets extra hugs tomorrow.

That's awful
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:35 PM   #18
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Sorry to hear that...
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 03:55 PM   #19
Lorena
Unregistered

Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:58 PM   #20
Edward64
Head Coach

I have a 15 year old Dalmation. She has rear leg issues and we have tried to give her the glaucosomine (sp?), doesn't seem to help. She has cataracts and we have been giving her the eye drops ... inconclusive so far. She has arithis also but the $40 pain pills (quarter tab) seems to be working great!

Healthy appetite. Fussy eater, but always been. Hates regular dog food but give her human food and she can gulp it down.

She is not able to control her movement well, has a hard time going down/up the 2 steps to the front yard (she stop going up the stairs to the 2nd floor about a year ago).

Today I was walking her and she was noticeably uncoordinated. I think it will be time to put her down soon.

I'm pretty sure she is not in pain and if she was that would be a sure trigger. Any suggestions from anyone as to when I would know?
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:36 PM   #21
Edward64
Head Coach

I was out of town this week and my dalmation had a seizure Tue morning. She's had 4-5 seizures over the past 2 years and come out of it disoriented. This time she really did not, my wife took her to the vet. She said the vet shone a light into her eyes and apparently was not responsive. So we put her down. She would have been 16 in January so she lived a full life.

My fondest memories of her are when I would lie down on the carpet (over hardwood) watching football and she would come by and snuggle up and/or put her head on my stomach. Also, in her younger days she would love playing frisbee. She would jump and catch it in the air.

Going to get her cremated and then plant a tree over her in the backyard.

RIP in doggy heaven.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-20-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:44 PM   #22
Radii
Head Coach

sorry to hear that edward64.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:20 PM   #23
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Deepest condolences. It can be so, so hard to lose a pet.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:21 PM   #24
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

My sympathies.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:11 PM   #25
dickysty
n00b

Wow almost 16 yrs old, you must have taken great care of her!

My condolences, it's going to be tough for awhile, but stay strong it does get easier to deal with.

One of my favorite sayings, There's no love without pain. It so true you love your pets like crazy and then when their no longer with us it really hurts for a time.

I miss our Maddie everyday that's for sure.

Last edited by dickysty : 12-20-2008 at 11:12 PM.
dickysty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:26 PM   #26
Jas_lov
College Starter

Very sorry to hear that, Edward. My dog is getting up there in age too, she's 14. She still moves around pretty good except she's slower going up and down steps. It's also becoming noticable that she can't hear as well as she used to. I hope she has a few good years left.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:35 AM   #27
Edward64
Head Coach

Thanks everyone. I don't think we took extra-ordinary care for her, in fact we fed her human food most of the time (mixed in with some kibble) and probably did not walk her as much as we should have. I do wish the vet had asked us to give her glaucosomine earlier for her joints ... about a year or so ago she stopped being able to go up and down the stairs and didn't walk well on the hardwoods.

Family went to Steak & Shake for breakfast this morning. We normally bring the kid's leftovers for her. I think over the next month or so there will be these 'remembrance points' (what do they call them?).

Thanks again for your condolences. Enjoy your pets everyday.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #28
RainMaker
General Manager

When I lost my dog I could still hear him barking when I'd come home. It was weird but I had grown so accustomed to it over the years. My mind playing tricks on me.

When you are ready, I suggest rescuing a dog. You seem like great dog owners.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:56 PM   #29
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Our guy is10 and getting up there. He also has seizurs which we medicate him for and bad hips/ arthritis. I dread when the day comes that we need to make that descion, he really is my best friend.

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #30
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

Family went to Steak & Shake for breakfast this morning. We normally bring the kid's leftovers for her. I think over the next month or so there will be these 'remembrance points' (what do they call them?).

I still have those both for the dog we lost last July, and the one we lost when I was 12. I kind of smile to myself when that happens, rather than be sad.

Maddie's run with you was a great deal for both you and your family. I do hope you get another dog someday, there's more dogs out there than there are great homes for them.

Last edited by molson : 12-21-2008 at 01:06 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:44 PM   #31
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Sorry to hear about your loss Take care & try to take it one day at a time.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #32
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I've had some terrible experiences with pets. It doesn't stop me from adopting them, because if I can give an animal a good home it otherwise wouldn't have, I don't see the reason not to.

I had my wheaten terrier puppy Riley hit by a car after he escaped..I was chasing him down, and just got hit running across the street. He survived two days somehow, but we had to put him down. One time, I found a newborn kitten that had been abandoned by it's mother..I guess it was the runt. Scooped him up and took him to the vet. I named him Lucky. Bottle fed the little bastard until he was weaned. He died of feline leukemia within a year.

I feel your pain, Edward. Regards.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:55 PM   #33
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I've had some terrible experiences with pets. It doesn't stop me from adopting them, because if I can give an animal a good home it otherwise wouldn't have, I don't see the reason not to.

I had my wheaten terrier puppy Riley hit by a car after he escaped..I was chasing him down, and just got hit running across the street. He survived two days somehow, but we had to put him down. One time, I found a newborn kitten that had been abandoned by it's mother..I guess it was the runt. Scooped him up and took him to the vet. I named him Lucky. Bottle fed the little bastard until he was weaned. He died of feline leukemia within a year.

I feel your pain, Edward. Regards.

That's brutal.

But ya, I agree - those guys had happiness with you that they wouldn't otherwise have had. That's worth it no matter what, even if you would have liked the time to be longer.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:22 PM   #34
Peregrine
Pro Starter

One of my cats died from cancer just after Thanksgiving - it's been really hard to deal with, since your pets are such a part of your life you just think they'll always be there, but they can be gone before you know it.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:42 PM   #35
King of New York
High School Varsity

I'm sorry to hear about your lab.

It sounds as though you gave her a great life, though, and you can take some solace in that.