Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-16-2008, 01:22 AM   #1
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Shout out to Draft Dodger/other NH/ME/WMass folks

(I think Jim's moved back to Michigan, so I can't remember any more posters in the areas. Alan T's out there somewhere, but he might be far enough west to avoid problems.)

Hope you guys are doing okay... let us know when you get power back up. Somehow here (Concord) came through virtually unscathed, but 10 minutes north in Chelmsford they still didn't have street lights back on tonight, and I've heard stories about people in places like Fitchburg that couldn't even leave their houses because so many trees came down. NH/Maine/Massachusetts west of 495 seemed to all get hit hard.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 12-16-2008 at 01:25 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:22 AM   #2
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
(I think Jim's moved back to Michigan, so I can't remember any more posters in the areas. Alan T's out there somewhere, but he might be far enough west to avoid problems.)

Hope you guys are doing okay... let us know when you get power back up. Somehow here (Concord) came through virtually unscathed, but 10 minutes north in Chelmsford they still didn't have street lights back on tonight, and I've heard stories about people in places like Fitchburg that couldn't even leave their houses because so many trees came down. NH/Maine/Massachusetts west of 495 seemed to all get hit hard.

Thanks.. I had no power at all on Friday starting around 4am, but I lived far enough south that I by far did not get the worst of the storm. The heat was a major concern for me though as I did not want my wife or daughter exposed to extended cold so we ended up just driving to Framingham and renting a hotel room for the night. I saw later Friday the power came back up (I could reach my network equipment from the hotel again), so we went home Saturday and have been fine since.

Another ice storm moving in though this morning. I don't think it will be as bad for us today however.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:01 AM   #3
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

thanks for asking. Keene ended up relatively unscathed (only about 500 homes without power). Go 5 minutes outside of town, though, and I'm told it was complete devastation with trees down everywhere.

My wife's parents have been staying with us because they are still without power, and probably will be for some time (it's not a given that power will be restored by Christmas). Other than having my normal routine thrown off, and a bit of a sore back from sleeping on the couch (we gave up our room to the in-laws), we've been relatively unaffected. We're very lucky.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:31 AM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

*hits self in head*

i'm ashamed nobody started this thread before now
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:50 AM   #5
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
thanks for asking. Keene ended up relatively unscathed (only about 500 homes without power). Go 5 minutes outside of town, though, and I'm told it was complete devastation with trees down everywhere.

My wife's parents have been staying with us because they are still without power, and probably will be for some time (it's not a given that power will be restored by Christmas). Other than having my normal routine thrown off, and a bit of a sore back from sleeping on the couch (we gave up our room to the in-laws), we've been relatively unaffected. We're very lucky.

The center of Claremont got nothing (my power flickered twice and I thought it was a huge inconvenience...little did I know), but the outskirts got nailed pretty hard. Luckily power was restored to them within the first 48 hours. Some co-workers live in Westmoreland (just outside of Draft Dodger for you NH outsiders) and like you said, just devastation. They're hearing (doesn't mean much) that they may not have power until next week, only possibly before Christmas.

My gf's dad works for PSNH and he's been out straight. Came home for a 4 hour nap, and then right back out on the road. He'll probably miss the family Christmas all-together...though he could pay for probably 4 or 5 vacations with the overtime he'll be raking in.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:51 AM   #6
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

yeah, those power crews have been working their asses off.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:57 AM   #7
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

All good in my neck of the woods. It's really weird, almost like they said on the news that it's like there's two Massachusetts' - inside 495 is fine and outside is a mess.

To give you non-MA people an idea - Alan lives about 30 miles west of me, and he was apparently without power for a while. Chelmsford, where Bishop is talking about is 28 miles north and they were without power. Bishop is like 15 miles north of me, and he was fine.

If you look at a map, it's almost literally like the storm "broke" on highway 495 - things that are even just a smidge outside it got battered and stuff inside it seems to have been mostly fine.

Actually I think it was bad in Marlborough (16 miles west of me and inside 495) but maybe that's the exception - thought some utility worker died there maybe?

Very weird.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-16-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:02 AM   #8
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

In Boston, it was just a mild to medium rain storm. Weird how there's chaos not too far away.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:04 AM   #9
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

My parents hardly lost power at all (but something like 500,000 people had lost it in the capital region until Saturday/Sunday). They got their cable on last night just in time for the football game so my dad was happy.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:14 AM   #10
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yeah - i heard upstate-NY got whacked
Old 12-16-2008, 10:26 AM   #11
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
All good in my neck of the woods. It's really weird, almost like they said on the news that it's like there's two Massachusetts' - inside 495 is fine and outside is a mess.

To give you non-MA people an idea - Alan lives about 30 miles west of me, and he was apparently without power for a while. Chelmsford, where Bishop is talking about is 28 miles north and they were without power. Bishop is like 15 miles north of me, and he was fine.

If you look at a map, it's almost literally like the storm "broke" on highway 495 - things that are even just a smidge outside it got battered and stuff inside it seems to have been mostly fine.

Actually I think it was bad in Marlborough (16 miles west of me and inside 495) but maybe that's the exception - thought some utility worker died there maybe?

Very weird.

I theoretically "work in Framingham" even though I never go into the office because I hate the drive in and enjoy working from home. Most of the people I work with often have very different weather then I do. I think the elevation inside of I-495 is pretty low/flat and the weather is more temperate due to the ocean being closer.

The further west you go, you end up with higher elevation and a slightly different weather pattern it seems, so we end up with slightly colder weather and usually heavier snowfalls it seems.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:50 AM   #12
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

hmm - had never really thought of it that way Alan - insightful
Old 12-19-2008, 04:42 PM   #13
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

my in-laws power came on this afternoon. we're snowed in tonight, so they are going to stay one more night...but it sounds like I will finally be able to sleep in my bed on Saturday. After 8 nights on the sofa, my back and I are definitely ready
Old 12-19-2008, 04:57 PM   #14
Comey
College Starter

DD, I didn't know you live in Keene. My gf's family lives there. We'll (hopefully) be up there tomorrow for early Christmas (we live in Hartford). I like the area.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:39 PM   #15
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

yep, I'm in Keene. Good luck with the drive tomorrow. Hopefully the roads will be clear by then.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:47 PM   #16
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

tonight's hilariously timely fortune cookie fortune:

"Your whole family are well"
Old 12-19-2008, 06:46 PM   #17
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
tonight's hilariously timely fortune cookie fortune:

"Your whole family are well"

Still not funny. Even after 9 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote