Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-14-2008, 08:52 PM   #151
Jas_lov
College Starter

Tie! This fire challenge is for all the marbles. Bob is winning!
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:53 PM   #152
Jas_lov
College Starter

Sugar hands a million dollars to Bob.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:54 PM   #153
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Spoiler
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:16 PM   #154
Jas_lov
College Starter

WTF? Bob says he did nothing but ride coattails. What a terrible answer. I'm not so sure he beats Sugar now even though she's despised.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:22 PM   #155
Jas_lov
College Starter

Corrine is a ruthless bitch. Even Randy didn't go that far.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:28 PM   #156
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Spoiler
Old 12-14-2008, 09:33 PM   #157
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Spoiler
Old 12-14-2008, 09:36 PM   #158
Jas_lov
College Starter

That was too close. They must have really really hated Sugar.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:41 PM   #159
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Spoiler
Old 12-14-2008, 09:54 PM   #160
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Spoiler

Spoiler
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:03 PM   #161
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Spoiler

Prolly cuz she's got no personality and perhaps because she's a spanish woman.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:03 PM   #162
Jas_lov
College Starter

And that's why randy is so likeable, he's hilarious.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:08 PM   #163
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Nope, still don't see it.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:12 PM   #164
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I personally liked Randy all season minus a few little things.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:36 PM   #165
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

I wonder if the appearance on the show has residual effects on Randy and Corinne in the real world. I know if I've watched this season and have a wedding coming up, I'm not looking for Randy any time soon or if I am a doctor needing to buy drugs for my clinic, I'm not buying anything from Corinne.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:42 PM   #166
LloydLungs
College Prospect

The difference between Randy and Corrine is that Corrine genuinely gets off on boos and being called nasty, et cetera. Randy just is, and doesn't care -- or at least does a great job pretending he doesn't. Randy is a horrible person but I'm a big fan anyway. Goodness, the pretend "friends." Just awesome. Why couldn't he have lasted one more round for the family visits? "Gold" would have been an understatement.

Sugar had no prayer of winning and knew it. When your social game is bad enough that even a strategy geek like Kenny would vote for SUSIE over you, then you simply cannot win Survivor. Of the final three, she actually had the best feel for the game of Survivor and its strategies. She certainly played too emotionally and had a lot of holes in her gameplay, but she had a good mind for the game. However, she clearly did not care at the final tribal and wasn't even trying, obviously with good reason. You just cannot squeeze blood from a turnip.

Bob is definitely one of the worst strategic winners ever, but he is very intelligent and seems like a good guy, so whatever. There were no masterminds on this season, not even Kenny.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:59 PM   #167
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yay for Bob! I thought he was going to screw himself in that final tribal council with the jury. He said nothing about winning 5 challenges in a row at his age, and next to nothing about the fake idol, and "fake" fake idol plan he worked out with Corrine that nearly worked.

I think everyone, Jeff Probst included, was surprised Susie got any votes. I guess Matty did based on what happened in his final tribal-who were the other two? But hey give her some credit, she won two individual immunities including the one she had to win to stay in the game.

Sugar was just too wishy-washy and easily swayed to have much chance against Bob. I liked her opening speech actually, being alone the most with being on Exile and finding the immunity idol so quickly and never having to play it to the end of its usefulness. But then she just gave up after that. I hope Bob gives her a bit of that $100,000 he won cause she kept him in the game more than once.

I have to say I was surprised with the final challenge. Usually its some kind of endurance challenge, this one didn't require any physicality at all really. I was surprised too that Bob did so bad with it, I would have thought that would have been a challenge tailor-made for him.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:11 PM   #168
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Spoiler
Old 12-15-2008, 12:11 AM   #169
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post

Sugar had no prayer of winning and knew it. When your social game is bad enough that even a strategy geek like Kenny would vote for SUSIE over you, then you simply cannot win Survivor. Of the final three, she actually had the best feel for the game of Survivor and its strategies. She certainly played too emotionally and had a lot of holes in her gameplay, but she had a good mind for the game. However, she clearly did not care at the final tribal and wasn't even trying, obviously with good reason. You just cannot squeeze blood from a turnip.

Pretty much sums it up. I actually thought Sugar played the best game out of the 3 in final, but even she admitted before the final tribal that she had pissed off too many people along the way. I really think that she felt that if she had no shot at winning she would play a role in handpicking the winner and decided to help Bob out.

Last edited by Atocep : 12-15-2008 at 01:00 AM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:50 AM   #170
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

glad for Bob.

What Corrine said about Sugars dad is unexcusable, she should rot in hell
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:59 AM   #171
Atocep
Coordinator

I want to add that I'm amazed that 5 people said they would have voted for Matty if he had been in the final 3. Did he do anything this season? Everyone kept mentioning how much of a physical threat he was and he was good in challenges, but didn't really win any, he was part of the worst tribe in survivor history, and was used for his vote throughout the season.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:25 AM   #172
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Sugar was extremely inconsistent. She could've played the card that she was a player and manipulated people, but her mistake was bringing Bob with her to the end. That one act dashed away any hopes that she could play the card that "it's just a game".

I would be willing to bet that Sugar...ahem...Jessica is actually a very annoying person. She looked good on camera and that's why she got the edit she did. Hence, she didn't win any votes at all and Susie won three and almost beat Bob.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:03 AM   #173
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Bob is definitely one of the worst strategic winners ever, but he is very intelligent and seems like a good guy, so whatever. There were no masterminds on this season, not even Kenny.

That is similar to how I feel. I was more satisfied with the past several winners since they were all good strategists. I guess it's alright that Bob won since he seems like a genuinely good guy. I also agree there were no masterminds this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

What Corrine said about Sugars dad is unexcusable, she should rot in hell

Totally agree on Corinne. Corinne seemed like a ruthless stuck-up, and uncaring bitch. Randy at least seemed to have some redeeming qualities on the reunion show, still not a very good guy, but not nearly as terrible as Corinne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I want to add that I'm amazed that 5 people said they would have voted for Matty if he had been in the final 3. Did he do anything this season? Everyone kept mentioning how much of a physical threat he was and he was good in challenges, but didn't really win any, he was part of the worst tribe in survivor history, and was used for his vote throughout the season.

I think it was because of jury bitterness. Marcus, Corinne, and probably even Charlie would never have voted for Susie because she "flipped" and voted out Marcus. I don't really understand why they were pissed about since she would have been settling for 5th, 6th, or 7th place if she hadn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
I wonder if the appearance on the show has residual effects on Randy and Corinne in the real world. I know if I've watched this season and have a wedding coming up, I'm not looking for Randy any time soon or if I am a doctor needing to buy drugs for my clinic, I'm not buying anything from Corinne.

I'm curious about that as well.

Overall, I felt pretty this season was not as entertaining or satisfying as the last few seasons.

Last edited by Racer : 12-15-2008 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:11 AM   #174
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I'm surprised none of the contenstants stacked the cards up. They could have easily stacked them up at least 8 feet from how much it looked like they had.... *shrug*

Decent season and I will be there for the next one as well.

Last edited by mauchow : 12-15-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:35 AM   #175
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Too often when it gets to the next-to-last Tribal Council, and one of the contestants chooses to take the "nicer" person to the finals, it backfires. I mean, come on... you went out there to win the game (and oh by the way... a MILLION dollars). Maybe I just can't imagine the mental aspect of the game unless I was out there for the 38 days.

When it got to the final five, I felt myself rooting more for Bob. On the other hand, a Final Three of Matty, Susie, & Sugar would have been quite interesting... because NONE of them would have deserved it.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:03 AM   #176
Swaggs
Coordinator

I really enjoyed this season of Survivor a lot. I had watched ever episode of the series up until seasons 13 and 14 (I thought it had gotten stale and it seemed like they were doing to many novelty things during selections, so I quit watching after about 6 episodes of season 13) and have again from season 15+, but this is the first year I have had an HD television and it has, surprisingly, made the show much better for me.

I think folks are undercutting Bob in the strategy department because he played in a different way. He introduced effective fake idols into the game, which is a pretty novel new strategy for a game that has been on for 18 seasons. He went into the final six without any of the other players from his alliance and against five players that had spent, at least some, time in the same tribe together for a good portion of the game (while he had been in Kota the entire time, everyone else had been in Fang the whole time except Susie and Sugar, who had each been for half the game). He is not a legendary strategist or anything, but he is certainly not the worst (Vecepia and Sandra seemed to cruise into the finals without having to overcome numbers and/or doing anything as innovative as using fake idols).

Last edited by Swaggs : 12-15-2008 at 09:04 AM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:06 AM   #177
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I think folks are undercutting Bob in the strategy department because he played in a different way. He introduced effective fake idols into the game, which is a pretty novel new strategy for a game that has been on for 18 seasons. He went into the final six without any of the other players from his alliance and against five players that had spent, at least some, time in the same tribe together for a good portion of the game (while he had been in Kota the entire time, everyone else had been in Fang the whole time except Susie and Sugar, who had each been for half the game). He is not a legendary strategist or anything, but he is certainly not the worst (Vecepia and Sandra seemed to cruise into the finals without having to overcome numbers and/or doing anything as innovative as using fake idols).

Agreed. While his string of wins late in the game certainly helped his cause, he did a good job of gaining favor with some of the members of the other group and stirring up the hornet's nest to get a good player out when he could.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:11 AM   #178
Swaggs
Coordinator

I also think Susie played a better game than most folks are giving her credit. She totally flipped the game and cleared her own path to the finals by getting rid of Marcus. Once Marcus was gone, the alliance of Marcus/Charlie/Corrine/Randy (and they were clearly dominating the game) fell like dominoes. If she does not make that play against Marcus at that time, while the tribes were briefly separated, those four + Bob have clear sailing to the finals, in my opinion. She also won two individual immunity challenges. I have a feeling if she looked like or had been the same age as Paloma or Corrine or Kelly, she would have gotten a much more favorable edit and would have received more televised credit for her strategy and individual play.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:39 AM   #179
Autumn
Head Coach

So, Bob won? I haven't been watching this season, but he's from a nearby town and I've been reading about him in the paper. That's pretty exciting. A lot of his students were saying they were amazed to find out that their teacher could lie through his teeth like that.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:58 AM   #180
Kodos
Resident Alien

I thought a physicist would be good at stacking cards. Not so much. I'm glad that Bob won. Loved it when he went off to practice making fire. Gotta appreciate the never-give-up mentality. It was a good season. Looking forward to the next one.

Corinne is a waste of carbon.

Last edited by Kodos : 12-15-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:29 AM   #181
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
Too often when it gets to the next-to-last Tribal Council, and one of the contestants chooses to take the "nicer" person to the finals, it backfires. I mean, come on... you went out there to win the game (and oh by the way... a MILLION dollars). Maybe I just can't imagine the mental aspect of the game unless I was out there for the 38 days.

But again, by the endgame, Sugar was playing on Bob's (and Matty's) behalf, not for herself. Sugar strategically engineered Bob's (or Matty's) victory, on purpose. There is probably some pretty deep psychological pathology involved in WHY, but to me it was pretty clear that her "I don't care" act was not an act. As hardcore as Survivor has gotten in recent seasons (which is a good thing, btw), I know it's hard to wrap one's mind around this.

I do give credit to Bob for the fake idol maneuvering. He was not strategically useless, just one of the weakest winners. There are almost no COMPLETELY non-strategic players anymore on Survivor (again, a good thing).
Old 12-15-2008, 12:21 PM   #182
WheelsVT
High School JV

Watched the whole season. Thought Bob was the most creative and scrappy player I've seen in awhile, and really enjoyed the finale. I thought Sugar's play was great. While I wanted Bob to win I thought Sugar's reasoning might even win her some votes if she spun it well during the discussion. Instead she just took the don't care approach. I guess she really annoyed everyone much more than I thought.

I couldn't believe how awful Corinne was throughout and after. Even though Marcus mentioned that we only saw a small part of what went on and Sugar cried a lot Corinne was always way over the top.
WheelsVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:18 PM   #183
Atocep
Coordinator

Out of curiosity, does anyone know who the sites predicted to win based off of editing?
Old 12-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #184
Thomkal
Head Coach

I think someone here said Marcus, but not sure about that
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:44 PM   #185
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Out of curiosity, does anyone know who the sites predicted to win based off of editing?

Marcus was the overwhelming pick until he was eliminated. I think after that people were mostly split between Kenny and Matty.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #186
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Marcus was the overwhelming pick until he was eliminated. I think after that people were mostly split between Kenny and Matty.

I asked because I was thinking Marcus, Charlie, or Kenny early on. After Marcus and Charlie were voted out I started thinking that the Survivor producers caught on and started mixing things up a bit and when Bob won it more or less confirmed it considering there were a couple episodes early in the season where Bob was hardly seen.

Overall I think this was a solid season. Not one of the very best, but still good. The weaker players did a very good job of getting the power players out early on and it removed the feeling of having an overwhelming favorite or memorable villain (despite Corrinne's late efforts). The Fang tribe will be remembered as the most incompetent tribe in the series' history.

Sugar probably goes down as the most underestimated player in any of the seasons I've watched. Bob was one of the more likable characters. I think we'll see Ace and Kenny on the next season of All-Stars. Susie was the most boring player to make it to the final 3 and somehow managed to get 3 votes. And Randy was genuinely unique.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:49 PM   #187
Swaggs
Coordinator

I would definitely want Randy back if any of these castmembers are on the next All-Stars. Lots of good candidates after him, with Marcus, Bob, Ace, Kenny, Matty, and Sugar.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:32 PM   #188
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Randy was hilarious. It at least suggested that a lot of what he said was very deadpan rather than him being truly despicable. Corrine ... meh, playing the bitch card way too hard.

I was really surprised Suzie got 3 votes. If she had won, she would have been the least deserving winner of all time imo. However, this is probably an indication of how terrible it was living with Sugar. I mean, it didn't seem like many people actually had nice things to say about her.

Kenny was soooo geeky though and it was funny how he kept looking away from the camera while talking.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:34 PM   #189
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Interesting postgame interview with Sugar. Ditzy? Sure. Cynical? Seems like it. Stupid? Definitely not.

hxxp://www.realitynewsonline.com/cgi-bin/ae.pl?mode=1&article=article8591.art&page=1
Old 12-16-2008, 01:11 AM   #190
watravaler
High School JV

Quote:
But again, by the endgame, Sugar was playing on Bob's (and Matty's) behalf, not for herself. Sugar strategically engineered Bob's (or Matty's) victory, on purpose. There is probably some pretty deep psychological pathology involved in WHY, but to me it was pretty clear that her "I don't care" act was not an act. As hardcore as Survivor has gotten in recent seasons (which is a good thing, btw), I know it's hard to wrap one's mind around this.

I do give credit to Bob for the fake idol maneuvering. He was not strategically useless, just one of the weakest winners. There are almost no COMPLETELY non-strategic players anymore on Survivor (again, a good thing).

Bob probably just offered her a bigger piece of his pie compared to Matty...she knew she didn't have a chance versus any of them...
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:42 AM   #191
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Corrine is a ruthless bitch. Even Randy didn't go that far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Spoiler

She is a sales rep who the fuck would buy something from her? Her comments there to Sugar way to fight bomb a career showing yourself to be petty,undisciplined, vindicative and a bitch.

Last edited by Galaril : 12-19-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote