Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who Wins the Heisman?
Sam Bradford (Oklahoma) 39 35.78%
Tim Tebow (Florida) 37 33.94%
Colt McCoy (Texas) 25 22.94%
TK 8 7.34%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2008, 12:18 AM   #51
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Since early October, I've been a stronger and stronger believer in the notion that the SEC defenses aren't all that, it's just that the offenses in the SEC are horrible outside Florida. And look what Florida did to the supposed tough SEC defenses.

Neither fan base is going to yield much, but the truth is closer to the middle than most would concede.

The Big XII defenses probably aren't as good as they have been in years past, but their statistical rankings would be significantly better if they got to play the majority of their snaps against quarterbacks like Tyson Lee, Kodi Burns, John Parker Wilson, Mike Hartline, Mackenzi Adams, Chris Smelley, Casey Dick, Jarrett Lee, and Jonathan Crompton.

Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:12 AM   #52
Logan
Head Coach

With that dropoff from 3rd to 4th, looks like they were right in not inviting Harrell.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:51 AM   #53
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
With that dropoff from 3rd to 4th, looks like they were right in not inviting Harrell.

Pretty much what I figured all along frankly. As far as I know (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), there's no significant history of them failing to invite someone who was reasonably relevant to the outcome.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:52 AM   #54
Logan
Head Coach

Agree Jon, which made Leach's public comments about his "outrage" and how this was a mockery even worse in my opinion.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:03 AM   #55
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Is that cheating? You must vote for someone?

Maybe cheating isnt the right word but I could understand leaving one of those guys off, but to leave both shows you know nothing about football.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:12 AM   #56
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Agree Jon, which made Leach's public comments about his "outrage" and how this was a mockery even worse in my opinion.

Reminded me of the Peter Warrick year. (This is all from memory, maybe Noop or someone can fact-check me.)

Warrick was Heisman frontrunner since early in the year. Truly electric with the ball in space.

Then he gets in trouble for taking free and discounted stuff from a department store (I think Laveranus Coles was suspended too?).

So he misses a game or two, then at the end of the year he says something to the effect of, "I can't believe they didn't invite me to the ceremony."

Then when the vote results came out, he was nowhere in sniffing distance of the trophy.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:15 AM   #57
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Peter Warrick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
At the time of his arrest, Warrick was considered by many as the front-runner for the Heisman Trophy with 36 catches for 508 yards and four touchdowns on the season. The Seminoles receiver was scoring touchdowns on highlight-film type runs and receptions and was in the national spotlight every week. Following the arrest, Florida State suspended Warrick for two key games (Coles, who paid for the clothes, was kicked off the team; he'd been suspended earlier in the season). The two-game suspension, along with the negative publicity he received in the national media, ended any chance for Warrick to be awarded the Heisman Trophy. At season's end, Warrick was not invited to the Heisman Trophy Award Presentation at the Downtown Athletic Club, and finished sixth in the overall voting.[1] The trophy was awarded to Wisconsin running back Ron Dayne.

RIP
Old 12-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #58
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Here's one SEC writer's ballot

and his rationale for the vote

"
There are several suppositions about college football that I believe to be true.

I believe that even in a down season, the Southeastern Conference is still the finest of all college football leagues.

I believe the level of defensive talent in the SEC far exceeds that of any other conference, and the defensive coaches guiding those players are, by and large, superior to those from other leagues.

Therefore, I believe that for an offensive player to excel in the SEC - let alone dominate it - he would rank not only among the conference's top players, but among the best in the nation."

Ergo, I will always vote for the "best" player in the SEC and thus I should have my voting privileges revoked.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:11 PM   #59
Capital
High School Varsity

The SEC is definitely down this year. There's just so many major programs that are not on the same page this year. However, I think Florida is on a different plane and Tebow is the reason.

Maybe this year will be different, but I've seen the story of Oklahoma before. Score millions of points against the Big 12 and then go to a major bowl/national championship and lay an egg: losses against West Virginia, Boise State, USC, LSU.

Ohio State has the bad reputation right now but Oklahoma in recent National Championship games leave something to be desired - mostly because their defense is not up to par.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:33 PM   #60
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Crim, you would be correct, although without the scandal I would imagine Peter Warrick would have won the Heisman that season. That season he was electric and was responsible in leading the Seminoles to the title that season. He was truly one of a kind.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:13 PM   #61
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Yup, I agree, who was it -- Dane? -- that won that year?

Warrick was an amazing college talent, whose skill set just didn't translate to the NFL. He was really small, if I recall, and not really fast. Just so elusive and unpredictable.

Anyway I can't find a supporting source, but I think I remember at the time him giving an interview wherein he bitched about how unfair it was that he didn't get invited to New York.

RIP
Old 12-15-2008, 07:16 PM   #62
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
Anyway I can't find a supporting source, but I think I remember at the time him giving an interview wherein he bitched about how unfair it was that he didn't get invited to New York.

He may have later, but his initial comments were pretty mild.
http://www.pub.umich.edu/daily/1999/...s/sports5.html
Last week, Warrick admitted he probably had no chance to win the Heisman, but hoped to be invited to New York.

"When I got in that trouble, it hurt me a lot," Warrick said. He also said the Heisman winner should be "the person that can help their team win no matter what they have to do. Keep the team first and remain unselfish."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...4/closer_look/
Warrick has said repeatedly that he learned his lesson from the Dillard's incident. When asked after the game whether, knowing he'd win the Sugar Bowl ring and MVP, he'd go through the whole season again, Warrick answered with an emphatic "yes."

"I didn't win the Heisman, I didn't win the Biletnikoff, but I can't gripe about that," Warrick said. "I came back [for his senior year] for two reasons: to graduate and to win the national championship, and I did both.

"I can't please everybody. If someone hates me, I'm still going to love them. I know that I'm a role model, that kids look up to me. I made a mistake, and I'm never going to make it again."
Old 12-16-2008, 07:29 PM   #63
Crim
College Benchwarmer

For those who chuckled - or had another reaction - when Billy Sims was yelling at the ceremony:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/art...1_NEWYOR636518

RIP
Old 12-16-2008, 07:35 PM   #64
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
For those who chuckled - or had another reaction - when Billy Sims was yelling at the ceremony

After reading that, I really would like to see something done to address the brain injuries connected to football.