Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-22-2007, 04:29 PM   #1
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

SEGA announces new game......Empire: Total War.

It's the latest version of the Total War series with one great addition......naval combat.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/33...-War-Announced

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Jaw = dropped.

+1

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:38 PM   #3
Anthony
Banned

i want this game yesterday, please. thank you. ok, bye.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
MikeVic
Head Coach

Rome: Total War was that game where you had children and a family lineage and stuff right?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
Radii
Head Coach

holy shit awesome.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:48 PM   #6
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Rome: Total War was that game where you had children and a family lineage and stuff right?

Rome and Medieval (both versions). never played the Chinese one, but that's not a period of history i'm interested in.

every time i watch The 300 i want to go buy a copy of Rome:TW. Medieval2 is awesome, i'll want to play it again if i watch Kingdom Of Heaven again.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:30 PM   #7
rowech
Pro Starter

I bought the Medieval game and it never worked on my computer despite having all requirements for the game. Tried to get support, etc. and never got anything. The Rome game, Medieval, and now this all look fantastic but I'll never end up trying them because of the bad experience.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:51 PM   #8
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
Rome and Medieval (both versions). never played the Chinese one, but that's not a period of history i'm interested in.

Japanese.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:28 PM   #9
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

hoot!! what's this one? I havn't even clicked the link yet!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:30 PM   #10
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

shit. I bet that won't run on my laptop and i'll hafta get a gaming-rig
Old 08-22-2007, 06:31 PM   #11
Groundhog
Coordinator

Can someone give me a quick breakdown of the era this is set in? Link is blocked here at work.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:39 PM   #12
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

honestly though, aside from the naval battles i'm not sure how attractive this will be. The beauty of the other games was in building empires. in this game, the countries are largely already established...

but the navel battles would likely be worth the price of admission. Plus once the modders get done with it and make the inevitable "pirates" faction playable.

honestly, if that happens i'd be on it like white on rice
Old 08-22-2007, 06:45 PM   #13
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
honestly though, aside from the naval battles i'm not sure how attractive this will be. The beauty of the other games was in building empires. in this game, the countries are largely already established...

Yup, this is going to be the major difference. The other parts of the game (trade/diplomacy) are REALLY going to have to be beefed up.

Quote:
but the navel battles would likely be worth the price of admission. Plus once the modders get done with it and make the inevitable "pirates" faction playable.

honestly, if that happens i'd be on it like white on rice

I'm a little afraid that the naval battles will be dreadfully boring. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:18 PM   #14
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I'm a little afraid that the naval battles will be dreadfully boring. I hope I'm wrong.
Can't be any worse than the auto battle, fleets-skittering-across-the-screen-in-retreat endeavor they are now.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:34 PM   #15
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Bah, I actually have mostly hated the strategic game since the original. Got too complex. I want to fight battles, not figure out how to keep from going broke while building a massive army.

I'm glad I have not yet bought Medieval II and will just skip right to this one when it comes out. Naval combat, mmmmmm....
Old 08-22-2007, 08:37 PM   #16
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Getting close to the dream game: Civil War: Total War.

When did SEGA get involved in this series?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:39 PM   #17
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

Rome was the first Sega title I believe.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:03 PM   #18
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

Though it would be great I doubt they would makea whole game based on such a narrow scope. The Civil War is only important to about to .5% of the population and of that the number that are PC strategy war gamers is pretty slim.IMHO. The Total War I am hoping for is WW1 and WW2.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:15 AM   #19
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I used to love the series, but unless they make some drastic changes, this is going to be a stinker from the historical standpoint.

The 18th century battles in Europe were fairly static affairs. You will have to deal with formations (none of this string guys out into a line one deep, etc.) you will need to have formations 3 men deep. You will basically have column and line deployments, nothing else.

Additionally, there shouldn't be a great variety of troops. You'll have riflemen (who should not be allowed to comprise more than 5% of any force, except possibly the Brits and Americans), regular line troops, and then your various cavalry units (which at this scale, light cav lose their effectiveness, etc.)

I am going to be very skeptical of this. While I played the first to death and picked up both Medeval and Rome, I played each successive game less than the previous one.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:33 AM   #20
Groundhog
Coordinator

I thought Medieval II was far better than Rome when it came to realistic(ish) troops. How the AI assembled forces was what was rubbish, in terms of poor mixes of ranged/close/horses, as well as, of course, dodgy in-battle AI.

Good point re: the troop-type limits though. No doubt they'll put in various high-power fantasy squads and the like, ala Rome and Shogun.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:11 PM   #21
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Wow. Here's a video of how the Naval Battles will work. Pretty nice looking stuff.

Empire Total War: New Empire Total War Trailer, The Art of Naval Battle
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:09 PM   #22
Radii
Head Coach

wow indeed.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:29 PM   #23
rowech
Pro Starter

This game, along with all the others look fantastic. However, I bought Medieval, never got it working, received crappy support and they'll never see a penny from me.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:53 PM   #24
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I'm finally getting in MTW2. My wife got it for me when I was deep in Civ IV mode. It's a pretty fantastic game. I love the time period for history, but for military strategy I prefer the time period of Empire. I can't wait to play this one!
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:08 PM   #25
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I can't wait for this game.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:27 PM   #26
Arctic Blast
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
I'm finally getting in MTW2. My wife got it for me when I was deep in Civ IV mode. It's a pretty fantastic game. I love the time period for history, but for military strategy I prefer the time period of Empire. I can't wait to play this one!

I've never played MTW2, but a friend of mine who's big in to it has used some of the mods out there, and it sounds like they're REALLY good. Check em out if you're interested.

Medieval II: Hosted Modifications - Total War Center Forums
Arctic Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:34 PM   #27
BigDPW
College Prospect

I have been excited about this game for awhile... MTW2 was my first TW game... I am hoping that I enjoy the naval battles as much as I enjoy the land battles...
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:15 PM   #28
Calis
College Starter

Not sure if I ever thought this would happen, but apparently it is...they have pushed back the release of this game to add a multiplayer campaign.

Empire: Total War Delayed To Add Multiplayer Campaign - Voodoo Extreme

Curious to see how they pull this off and how well it works, but this is so ingrained in my head as a single player experience I'm not sure if I'm even interested in multi.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:45 PM   #29
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Blast View Post
I've never played MTW2, but a friend of mine who's big in to it has used some of the mods out there, and it sounds like they're REALLY good. Check em out if you're interested.

Medieval II: Hosted Modifications - Total War Center Forums

i clicked on this link and installed the "Broken Crescent" mod, which basically gives you a whole new game. its massive. its focuses primarily on the eastern civs, lots of civs i never heard of. but the most important part is this is as close as you will get to playing "Kingdom Of Heaven". its a wonderful mod. i'm currently playing as The Kingdom of Jerusalem, and it had the characters from the movie (Balien aka Orlando Bloom; Prince Guy who was the villain; Jeremy Iron's character; King Baldwin, etc). really awesome. the AI is great in terms of the turn based portion. i quickly formed aliances with most every faction, especially the faction that is run by Salud hudin (the muslims in the movie). after a bit they turned on me and started this massive war where i was almost wiped out. you have the ability to request a Crusade - i had to wait like 8 or so turns and just when i thought that part of the game was broken and all was lost a huge army appeared on my lands controlled by a character named Richard (Richard the Lionheart most likely). so now the pendulum has swung back in my favor, but that's mostly due to 1 of my allies starting a war with my main enemy which made it a 2 on 1 fight.

anyway, this is the game i've been waiting for. i'm really enjoying it now and i highly recommend those who still have M2:TW to give it a try. really feels like i'm playing the movie. one thing i didn't like about the regular non-modded game was it quickly turned into "every faction against mine". someone would start a war with me, Pope would tell me to check myself and i'd be like "fuck that, i'm wiping these cockfucks off the map" and then i get excommunicated and soon everyone wants a piece of me. it'd be stupid to fight like wars on 4 fronts. this mod allows me to play as i like - not focus on war development early on so i can quickly develope my income producing developments. you can't fight a war without money so i want to make sure i've maxed out the income potential of every territory so that for the later rounds i can just become a war machine and pump out unit after unit.