Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-10-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
Galaxy
Coordinator

Derrick Rose injuries himself eating an apple in bed

FOX Sports on MSN - NBA - Report: Rose injured in bed eating an apple

Good thing Derrick Rose doesn't play in the Big Apple.

The rookie point guard for the Chicago Bulls cut himself when he rolled onto a knife while eating an apple in bed, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Rose needed 10 stitches to close the gash in his left forearm and missed Monday's practice, though he played later in the night against the New York Knicks, scoring 15 points in a 105-100 victory in Chicago.

"It was a silly incident," Rose told the newspaper. "I was cutting up some food and I laid on a knife getting lazy in bed. I went to go get a bottle of water, came back, forgot the knife was there, then sat down and sliced my arm.

"I panicked when it first happened and called my trainer. It was painful but I should be alright."

Rose was the No. 1 overall pick in the NBA draft after leading Memphis to the national championship game as a freshman. He is averaging 18.5 points and 6.1 assists for the Bulls and is a frontrunner for NBA rookie of the year.

Rose said he would have the stitches in his arm for 10-14 days.

"It's just an unfortunate thing, but he'll be fine," Bulls coach Vinny Del Negro said. "He could've practiced today but more precautionary to let him relax a little after that incident and get some rest. Thank goodness it's not serious. It could've been a lot worse."

Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:00 AM   #2
Barkeep49
Coordinator

This is from Monday. Old news.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:01 AM   #3
Barkeep49
Coordinator

DOLA: Though when I first heard it I was reminded of the Office Episode when Michael burns his foot on the George Foreman Grill.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
MikeVic
Head Coach

At least he's eating healthy.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
FOX Sports on MSN - NBA - Report: Rose injured in bed eating an apple

Good thing Derrick Rose doesn't play in the Big Apple.

Who writes this shit?
Old 12-10-2008, 11:04 AM   #6
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
DOLA: Though when I first heard it I was reminded of the Office Episode when Michael burns his foot on the George Foreman Grill.

+1.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:07 AM   #7
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

"Yeah girl, I want you to eat this apple..."
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #8
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

It makes more sense now that I read it, the thread headline was a definite "WTF?"

Accidents happen. Kind of stupid to leave a knife laying next to you in bed but who hasn't done something stupid in theei life that they know was a mistake and knew was a mistake when they did it but figured nothing would happen. More times than not nothing happens and no-one is the wiser.

It's actually refreshing to see a story about something happening to a sports figure that involves nothing illegal or immoral (now that I have said that it will come out later that he was eating apples because he "had the munchies").
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:12 PM   #9
chris3627
n00b

Day late but saw this addendum in yesterdays Chicago Tribune....

Embarrassing injuries in Chicago sports history

—Tribune staff

December 9, 2008

It's a close call as to which was more painful from these classic Chicago sports stories—the injury itself or the embarrassment suffered at the hands of unrelenting teammates. In other words, feel better, Derrick Rose. You have company.

Sammy Sosa: Sneezed while bending over in the visitors' clubhouse at Petco Park in San Diego, setting off a bout of back spasms that landed the Cubs slugger on the disabled list in 2004.

Mike Remlinger: Cubs

reliever sat in a recliner in the Milwaukee clubhouse, got his pinkie caught and broken and missed two weeks.

Carlos Zambrano: Cubs attributed elbow soreness in early 2005 to too much time spent on a computer, so he cut down his usage from five hours to two.

Kerry Wood: Missed time in 2007 spring training after he slipped and fell in a hot tub.

Glenallen Hill: He wasn't with the Cubs at the time, but he missed time in 1990 after jumping out of bed and through a glass table because he had a nightmare about spiders eating him.

Bryan Robinson: Bears

defensive lineman broke both wrists after he said he tripped over his dog and fell backward down stairs in 2002.

Michael Jordan: Already unofficially retired after the 1997-98 season, he severed a tendon in the index finger of his right shooting hand while brandishing a cigar cutter in January 1999. He underwent surgery and six weeks of rehabilitation.

Jose Cardenal: In 1974, Cubs outfielder missed a game after his eyelid mysteriously was stuck shut.

James Coley: Bears tight end rushed to a hospital during a 1990 practice at Halas Hall when his throat and nasal passages began to swell after a bee flew up his nose and stung him.

Steve Trout: Claimed he fell off a stationary bicycle and thus missed his scheduled start against the Reds on Sept. 8, 1985. That set up rookie righty Reggie Patterson as the fall guy to surrender Pete Rose's hit tying Ty Cobb's all-time record.
chris3627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:27 PM   #10
flounder
High School Varsity

I don't know. It seems like this one is more of a Jeff Kent "washing his truck" type of injury.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #11
MikeVic
Head Coach

ESPN - Colorado Avalanche captain Joe Sakic breaks fingers in snowblower accident

Heh.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote