Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-03-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
PilotMan
Head Coach

Fox's Secret Millionaire

Yeah, I cried.

Certainly worth watching as a family.

Last Christmas we gave a full year Cincinnati museum membership to a random family that had come in. The museum was running bogo memberships, and we decided to give the other one away when we renewed ours. I wish that we could do it more, but there are so many weeks when we ourselves are on $100 a week budget (or sometimes less), just so we can make our other bills.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
Logan
Head Coach

Good for you man!
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
Tigercat
College Starter

In real life Todd Graves really is a douchebag in every way possible. Not to mention he made money off of stealing other people's (Guthries chicken fingers) ideas and even admited to it. I can just see the wheels turning in his head "Oh, we only have to give 100k? Why don't I give 300k, show up whoever, and make it a commercial for my growing fast food franchise!"

But all that being said, nothing to complain about when anyone gives out money to those who need it and can use it.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
Raiders Army
Coordinator

The first episode was great. Certainly sad and I think they portrayed everyone positively. You would've never have guessed this show would be on Fox.

What was weird was that in the previews at the beginning of the second eipsode they showed stuff that was cut from the first episode, like the construction lady saying "I don't know whether to be pissed or happy."

I thought the whole "we've been lying to you" is lame. Perhaps if they would've gone with "we've come to your neighborhood to find deserving folks and I'm lucky enough to be in a position to help you" or something to that affect it would come across better.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Last Christmas we gave a full year Cincinnati museum membership to a random family that had come in.

Which museum? Y'all have a couple of real good ones up there.

Last edited by Tigercat : 12-03-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:19 PM   #6
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
In real life Todd Graves really is a douchebag in every way possible. Not to mention he made money off of stealing other people's (Guthries chicken fingers) ideas and even admited to it. I can just see the wheels turning in his head "Oh, we only have to give 100k? Why don't I give 300k, show up whoever, and make it a commercial for my growing fast food franchise!"

But all that being said, nothing to complain about when anyone gives out money to those who need it and can use it.

If I were him, I'd be pissed that I followed the first guy. You could tell they weren't into it. They were driving their SUV around, his wife was wearing her probably $600 sunglasses and he was wearing his pimp daddy sunglasses. You could also tell he was into giving the money to the football team.

Like you said, hey if it's doing someone good, great. But to follow the first guy and his son...
Old 12-03-2008, 09:29 PM   #7
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Which museum? Y'all have a couple of real good ones up there.

The Museum Center, it has 3. The Children's Museum, the Cincinnati History Museum, and the Natural History Museum. It is in the old train station.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:30 PM   #8
molson
General Manager

Pilotman, you kick serious ass.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #9
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
The Museum Center, it has 3. The Children's Museum, the Cincinnati History Museum, and the Natural History Museum. It is in the old train station.

Yea, thats a really cool place. I was also surprised at how good the Cincy Art Museum was.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:16 PM   #10
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

I don't know Graves or anything about his chain, just curious if you have had personal contact with him.

I find it funny that they have a full-time nanny when she (I may be wrong) doesn't now work.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:44 AM   #11
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

That museum center is so good, we live in Dayton and bought a year-long membership to it this year.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:45 AM   #12
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Last Christmas we gave a full year Cincinnati museum membership to a random family that had come in. The museum was running bogo memberships, and we decided to give the other one away when we renewed ours. I wish that we could do it more, but there are so many weeks when we ourselves are on $100 a week budget (or sometimes less), just so we can make our other bills.

That's awesome PilotMan! The look of gratitude on their face makes it all worth it huh?

As far as the show, I'm with you, I teared up and we only saw the last 20 minutes. I hope we remember to watch it next week when the millionaire goes to Watts. The part where confesses at the end should be interesting.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:20 AM   #13
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I don't know Graves or anything about his chain, just curious if you have had personal contact with him.

I find it funny that they have a full-time nanny when she (I may be wrong) doesn't now work.

I've quasi met him, was at a tailgate he was at and heard him talking to some buds, but no one introduced us. Besides that I have heard lots of stories of people who have met him and done business with him. Many Louisiana people aren't too happy with him now because he is a guy that talks big about tradition and his roots and how that is important to his business, but the first best chance he had he moved Canes HQ to Dallas.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #14
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I've quasi met him, was at a tailgate he was at and heard him talking to some buds, but no one introduced us. Besides that I have heard lots of stories of people who have met him and done business with him. Many Louisiana people aren't too happy with him now because he is a guy that talks big about tradition and his roots and how that is important to his business, but the first best chance he had he moved Canes HQ to Dallas.

I saw that. Why did he move the HQ to Dallas (I can easily understand the appeal of Dallas/Fort Worth from a business standpoint)?

Watching the first guy (the lawyer), he actually seemed moved by the experience.

I do agree with the idea that I just didn't get the same vibe from him and his wife.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:39 PM   #15
Scarecrow
College Prospect

I only watched the second episode (the chicken finger guy), but I have a couple of questions that might have been answered in the first hour:

1. Didn't anyone notice that they were driving around in a Cadillac Escalade?
2. Didn't anyone notice the camera crew that was following them?
Old 12-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #16
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
I only watched the second episode (the chicken finger guy), but I have a couple of questions that might have been answered in the first hour:

1. Didn't anyone notice that they were driving around in a Cadillac Escalade?
2. Didn't anyone notice the camera crew that was following them?

I thought it was a Chevy. I believe they told people they were filming a documentary on poverty.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:40 PM   #17
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I watched this last night and honestly had higher hopes for the show based on the previews from the past several weeks. I don't know exactly what I was looking for, but I think I was hoping for more confrontation perhaps, or more showing of people who are utterly crappy to those who are less fortunate then they are.. or even people who try to profit from those in some manner. (unfair hiring or labor practices under the table or whatnot).

I guess in hindsight, capturing any of that on tape and then getting the proper permission to air it is fairly unlikely though. This ended up being a 2 hour opportunity to see that there are people who are less fortunate then most of us (due to health reasons, weather devastation reasons or whatever).

Everyone obviously was on their best behavior in front of the cameras even if they didn't know the people were millionaires, and most of the greetings showed up as obviously staged.

In the end, it was heartwarming to see people who need help receive it, but I am sure that this will grow old entertainment-wise really fast and I'll lose interest in watching it. I worked with habitat for humanity during college to help rebuild parts of charleston, SC after whatever hurricane hit there in the end of the 1980s so I understand that there are places very impoverished and I am very lucky and grateful for the opportunities that I have myself. I don't think several weeks of showing this will lead to great television though unless some curveball comes in the next few episodes.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:33 PM   #18
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
I thought it was a Chevy. I believe they told people they were filming a documentary on poverty.

Yeah, Suburban.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #19
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
I saw that. Why did he move the HQ to Dallas (I can easily understand the appeal of Dallas/Fort Worth from a business standpoint)?

Moving any restaurant/fast food franchise HQ to Dallas is just the easier way to go as far as corporate staffing goes. So many of them are already based there that it makes it easier for a company to compete for and steal away corporate types.

That being said, Baton Rouge has been growing since Katrina. It was named by a couple of lists as one of the top places to ride out a recession/depression. If he really wanted to be true to his roots and be good to his home state like he claimed, he could have easily kept the business in Baton Rouge.

I get the feeling he will sell the business before he is 40 anyway. (And that at the current rate of expansion, Cane's will eventually overextend itself into bankruptcy as well. )
Old 12-09-2008, 07:53 AM   #20
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FYI....noticed that there will be an episode on Wednesday night and one on Thursday night this week and next week. I think that's all of the initial 6 episode run.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote