Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-03-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

ps3-xbox 360, why no download manager?

Is there any good reason that ps3 and xbox 360 don't have a download manger included in their OS? For me personally I had the nba 2k9 patch crap out on me today at 59% and haven't gotten anything over 4% since. Would be nice if when I reconnected it picked up at the 59% that was already d'loaded once. The stoppage was surprising as I don't believe I've ever had a d'load stop after getting over 20-25%.

Beyond my personal trouble today with the patch isn't this something that should be done with the new ability to d'load movies and blue ray movies? Aren't these files going to be huge and who wants to get to 60% of a movie and have to start over?

I can't believe (non-techy here so could be very wrong) this would be that hard to do and would come in handy both during patch releases for popular games and the aforementioned movies.

So, what the hell?

Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
Tasan
College Starter

It shouldn't be that hard. I would actually expect them to have a manager already. Odd.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:56 PM   #3
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
My 360 resumes downloads. Not sure what is going on with your particular situation.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
SackAttack
Head Coach

360 pauses downloads if you start playing an online game, but it resumes them when you go back to single player or to the dashboard.

PS3...I don't generally bother playing multiplayer games while stuff is downloading, so.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:58 PM   #5
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
My 360 resumes downloads. Not sure what is going on with your particular situation.

Ditto. You can queue up multiple ones, etc. Resumes fine.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #6
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Ditto. You can queue up multiple ones, etc. Resumes fine.

Plus if it stays connected to the network, it keeps downloading even once you turn it off.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:52 PM   #7
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
360 pauses downloads if you start playing an online game, but it resumes them when you go back to single player or to the dashboard.

I am pretty sure the PS3 does that as well.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:16 PM   #8
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
I am pretty sure the PS3 does that as well.

Correct. The nice thing about the PS3 is that a lot of owners just leave it on all the time. No real overheating problems makes that an option. Mine is usually running the Folding program when I'm not on it.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Nice waste of energy, leaving a PS3 or Xbox360 turned on all the time. The equivalent of running two refrigerators.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...you-think.html
Old 12-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #10
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Nice waste of energy, leaving a PS3 or Xbox360 turned on all the time. The equivalent of running two refrigerators.

Thanks, Al Gore. Go kiss a baby seal and tell him I said Hi.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:48 PM   #11
gstelmack
Pro Starter

360 will turn itself off after it finishes downloading.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:57 PM   #12
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Thanks, Al Gore. Go kiss a baby seal and tell him I said Hi.

Hey, if you want to piss away $120 to $160 each year just to make a point that you can leave a PS3 on all the time, that is your perogative. If you wanted to help Folding@Home, it'd be better off for you personally to make a tax deductible donation to them (Folding@home - Donate ) in the amount of the electricity you would have used. But hey, whatever floats your boat. If it makes you feel better thinking you are showing up Xbox users or sticking it to Al Gore, go right ahead.

In any event, WTF does leaving a console on 24/7 have to do with a download issue.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:13 PM   #13
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
If it makes you feel better thinking you are showing up Xbox users or sticking it to Al Gore, go right ahead.

Geez. Somebody's team must have been left out of the Big 12 Championship.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:18 PM   #14
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Geez. Somebody's team must have been left out of the Big 12 Championship.

Way to add to the discussion. And you wonder why people get fed up with your crap.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #15
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Now you did it cartman. You presented facts that showed how stupid it was to run the PS3 in his preferred manner, now you get the torrent of insults rather than anything to debate or dispute the facts...
Old 12-04-2008, 02:25 PM   #16
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

What I need to figure out is how much energy, if any, the 360 uses when it's in standby mode. My last electric bill was $51 (and that was without running the heat), and I'm curious if that contributed at all. I've already taken to shutting the PS3 off entirely when not in use.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:28 PM   #17
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
What I need to figure out is how much energy, if any, the 360 uses when it's in standby mode. My last electric bill was $51 (and that was without running the heat), and I'm curious if that contributed at all. I've already taken to shutting the PS3 off entirely when not in use.

I'll have to find the info, but I think the 360 drops down to 33% of normal power consumption when it is in that download only mode. If I can find the link, I'll post it.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:29 PM   #18
KWhit
Coordinator

Yeah. Why the hell would anyone leave a console running 24 hours a day? Especially with the environmental issues we're confronted with today.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:36 PM   #19
cartman
Death Herald

I knew 2/3 or 3/4 was some part of the equation. It turns out the low power consumption mode uses 75% of the normal power, so a 1/4 decrease over full power.

dennisjudd.com: Xbox 360 needs to feed
Old 12-04-2008, 02:54 PM   #20
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I knew 2/3 or 3/4 was some part of the equation. It turns out the low power consumption mode uses 75% of the normal power, so a 1/4 decrease over full power.

dennisjudd.com: Xbox 360 needs to feed

That's when it downloads, though, I think. I mean just leaving it plugged in...and either the other site I found is giving me some funky math for how to calculate kWh, or he's using some funky math, because I'm getting just about 1/10th the result he is even when I use the numbers he provides.

Last edited by SackAttack : 12-04-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:01 PM   #21
SackAttack
Head Coach

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/howmuch.html

That's got a calculator on there that shows what it costs to actually run it for a set period of time per day at the average electric rate in different locales. I'm paying 10.9c/kWh, and he's measuring at 11, so that's actually slightly high...but it says that if I play the thing for 2 hours a day (I don't) and it uses 165 watts at any given moment, it would cost me just over $1/month in electricity use. The 'plugged in' wattage, according to cartman's link, is significantly lower. So the 360 can't be the culprit. Nor the PS3, unless standby mode uses as much juice as "on and playing" mode.

Only thing I can figure is that the refrigerator is ridiculously power-hungry.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #22
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I knew the 360 stayed on and kept d'loading but didn't know that if a d'load crapped out (net goes down half way through etc.) that it would pick up where it left off when you tried to d'load again. Is that what I am hearing here?

I've only d'loaded a couple of demos and a few patches, on the 360, never having it stop part way through. Maybe a case of getting what you pay for ie ps3 online is totally free where my silver(while still free) is part of a pay service? Didn't occur to me that it had only happened to me on our ps3.

I think what it amounts to with the ps3 is the server gets hit so hard it takes awhile to get your d'load started. Then to have it crap out at 59% tends to piss one off, especially when ever time you get through after that you only get 3-4%. Can't believe they are going to continue this way when they want to make blue ray movies available. Maybe it's in the works for one of the updates? Certainly would hope\think so.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:07 PM   #23
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I knew the 360 stayed on and kept d'loading but didn't know that if a d'load crapped out (net goes down half way through etc.) that it would pick up where it left off when you tried to d'load again. Is that what I am hearing here?

I think I might see what is happening here. You said 'when you tried to d'load again'. Do you mean you went back to the demo, after the connection broke, and told it to download again? In that case, you'll get a message stating something like 'You've already downloaded this content, would you like to download again?'. You don't need to tell it to download again. If you check under Active Downloads, you should see the file automatically resume where it was when the connection was broken, without you having to do anything.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #24
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I think I might see what is happening here. You said 'when you tried to d'load again'. Do you mean you went back to the demo, after the connection broke, and told it to download again? In that case, you'll get a message stating something like 'You've already downloaded this content, would you like to download again?'. You don't need to tell it to download again. If you check under Active Downloads, you should see the file automatically resume where it was when the connection was broken, without you having to do anything.

No, I guess I'm not explaining it as clearly as I meant to. The majority of my games are for the ps3. I have a few 360 games I play and those have always patched without issue. Same for d'loading demos on the 360, never had it crap out in mid-d'load.

When I started this thread I assumed that both the ps3 and 360 would have to start a d'load over from the beginning if it crapped out at x% done. In my case, stopping at 59% on the ps3 equals start over at 0. While it sounds like from what is being posted here the 360 would start at 59%. Was just trying to clarify if that is correct or if I am misunderstanding? If that is the case then kudos to the 360 for having that feature.

I hope that explains things better
Old 12-04-2008, 07:33 PM   #25
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
No, I guess I'm not explaining it as clearly as I meant to. The majority of my games are for the ps3. I have a few 360 games I play and those have always patched without issue. Same for d'loading demos on the 360, never had it crap out in mid-d'load.

When I started this thread I assumed that both the ps3 and 360 would have to start a d'load over from the beginning if it crapped out at x% done. In my case, stopping at 59% on the ps3 equals start over at 0. While it sounds like from what is being posted here the 360 would start at 59%. Was just trying to clarify if that is correct or if I am misunderstanding? If that is the case then kudos to the 360 for having that feature.

I hope that explains things better

Gotcha. You are correct in the understanding of how the 360 works. As for the PS3, I'd have to defer to the owners of that console. But I'd definitely recommend NOT leaving the console on 24/7/365.