Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-30-2008, 12:13 PM   #51
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Not sure I agree about them not needing Plax.

Plax has struggled this year, but he basically won them that SB last year. He was a monster. Even this year, as long as he is on the field, you have to cover him tight, and it lets the other guys run free.

The Gmen might have depth at WR, but they have no #1 WR without Plax, and Eli isn't a good enough QB to make a guy look better then he is.

The Giants will face a lot more 8 and 9 man fronts with man on man coverage with Plax being able to play, daring Eli and guys like Hixon, Toomer and Smith to beat them.

Not sure that that combination can get it done.

Eli, hixon and co. looked pretty damn solid that first drive...

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:19 PM   #52
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I'd take Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin over him. Both have many more yards and receptions this year. I'd also take Steve Smith over him. Heck, I'd take a lot of guys over him. He is 53rd in receiving yardage this year and 62nd in receptions.

did any of them catch the winning TD in the superbowl?

I think not...

Last edited by Lathum : 11-30-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:29 PM   #53
miked
College Starter

Larry Brown says hi!
Old 11-30-2008, 12:42 PM   #54
Carlos Beltran
n00b

Jose Reyes wouldn't pull this shit.
Carlos Beltran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:30 PM   #55
MikeVic
Head Coach

I was initially upset the Steelers didn't keep Burress (but I do like Ward more, and he's one of my favourite players). Now I'm glad he's gone.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:34 PM   #56
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
I can't believe someone on this forum called him the 3rd best WR in the NFL earlier this season. What a complete joke.

I can't believe someone on this forum called Aaron Rodgers the MVP of the league at the halfway point of the season. What a complete joke.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:17 PM   #57
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
I can't believe someone on this forum called Aaron Rodgers the MVP of the league at the halfway point of the season. What a complete joke.

I can't say he didn't deserve that.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:21 PM   #58
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post

Have you ever read any of my packers related posts?

I realize I am a crazy homer and 90% of what I say I understand isn't true or believable and can make fun of myself about it.

Unlike some...
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:45 PM   #59
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

not sure if this has been posted in here yet, but according to the ESPN story

Quote:

NFL handgun policy prohibits players carrying weapons on NFL premises and NFL-related functions. It also prohibits any player having a gun without a proper permit or registration.
The New York Post reported that, according to records, Burress does not have a permit to carry a gun in New York.
Burress had a concealed-weapon permit issued to him in Florida but records show it expired in May and New York does not recognize out-of-state permits anyway, the newspaper reported. A report in the Daily News indicated the same thing.

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:11 PM   #60
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Such an outcome would mean that the authorities believe Burress didn’t have the appropriate paperwork in place to carry the weapon in New York City.

It boggles my mind that 'appropriate paperwork' even exists to allow someone to carry around with them a concealed and loaded handgun. Wow.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:42 PM   #61
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
It boggles my mind that 'appropriate paperwork' even exists to allow someone to carry around with them a concealed and loaded handgun. Wow.

BUT THOSE R R SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHTS!! THE RITE 2 BEAR ARMS IS WHAT MADE AMERICA
Old 12-01-2008, 09:42 AM   #62
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

So I was listening to Max Kellerman this morning and they reported that Burress. Pierce and Bradshaws cars were all seized by police.

They also called around to hospitals to see if they could find one that wouldn't report the gun shot wound. This idiot actualy thought he could cover this up.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:59 AM   #63
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

Why not? The "appropriate paperwork" is supposed to make sure you've been trained in all the appropriate safety rules and how many ways you can screw up that are all your responsibility (the classes I took in Florida appeared half designed to scare you out of wanting a permit in the first place). If you've done all that, why shouldn't you be allowed to carry a gun for self-defense?

The problem is all the irresponsible nuts who think they know what the heck they are doing and don't need to learn how to handle one correctly.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:00 AM   #64
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
did any of them catch the winning TD in the superbowl?

I think not...

Against blown coverage by Asante Samuel (even if Deltha O'Neil is making Pats fans miss him), after a no-name caught the key pass of the drive?
Old 12-01-2008, 10:03 AM   #65
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Against blown coverage by Asante Samuel (even if Deltha O'Neil is making Pats fans miss him), after a no-name caught the key pass of the drive?

someone needs to tune their sarcasm meter up.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:09 AM   #66
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm just glad that someone else wasn't shot accidentally when the gun when off. Plax could easily be facing manslaughter charges if the gun happened to point in a different direction when it went off.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #67
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yep. If you're going to accidentally shoot someone because you are a total moron, at least have the courtesy to shoot yourself.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:17 AM   #68
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Why not? The "appropriate paperwork" is supposed to make sure you've been trained in all the appropriate safety rules and how many ways you can screw up that are all your responsibility (the classes I took in Florida appeared half designed to scare you out of wanting a permit in the first place). If you've done all that, why shouldn't you be allowed to carry a gun for self-defense?

The problem is all the irresponsible nuts who think they know what the heck they are doing and don't need to learn how to handle one correctly.

I dunno. IMHO, the class I took for concealed carry in Texas was a joke. I believe the background checks they do helps, but I'm not sure the laws are stringent enough depending on the state. Maybe that's why New York and New Jersey don't recognize my license.

All that being said, I agree that you should be allowed to carry a gun for self-defense. That's why I've gotten my license. I've never carried since I've goten it, but I like having the option to do so.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:30 AM   #69
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Props to the Giants. Lose Shocky--addition by subtraction. Lose Plax--addition by subtraction. They keep losing pro-bowl caliber targets on offense and it does not seem to affect their efficiency at all.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:39 AM   #70
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Props to the Giants. Lose Shocky--addition by subtraction. Lose Plax--addition by subtraction. They keep losing pro-bowl caliber targets on offense and it does not seem to affect their efficiency at all.

Obviously that's because they still have Brandon Jacobs!
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #71
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Obviously that's because they still have Brandon Jacobs!

MVP!!
Old 12-01-2008, 01:23 PM   #72
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
I dunno. IMHO, the class I took for concealed carry in Texas was a joke.

Yeah, I'm surprised Texas even worries about a special process for concealed carry

The class I took in Florida was pretty good and included time on the range.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:23 PM   #73
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
someone needs to tune their sarcasm meter up.

No, it's just that the bitterness allowance has not run out yet...
Old 12-01-2008, 01:35 PM   #74
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
No, it's just that the bitterness allowance has not run out yet...

Old 12-01-2008, 04:18 PM   #75
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

Because more guns on the streets are not a good idea. In Australia I couldn't even comprehend - outside of rural areas - coming across anyone with a gun. I know there are people out here with illegal guns, but they are so few and far between that it's just not something I ever worry about.

Quote:

No, the problem is that pulling out a gun automatically escalates any problem three thousand-fold. I don't trust the judgement of humans to only pull one out at the "right time" (is there a right time?). Self defense in the home is one thing, but having folks carrying a sidearm around with them when they are out is inviting trouble.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:06 PM   #76
Logan
Head Coach

Interestingly, just heard on Sportscenter that the prosecution filed two "complaints" instead of "charges." The second one is the basic felony for possession of the gun, but the first complaint seems to allege that he may have been intending to hurt someone else when he grabbed that gun.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:44 PM   #77
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Because more guns on the streets are not a good idea. In Australia I couldn't even comprehend - outside of rural areas - coming across anyone with a gun. I know there are people out here with illegal guns, but they are so few and far between that it's just not something I ever worry about.

The problem here in the States are the number of ILLEGAL guns floating around, or people carrying them illegally. Everyone gets all worked up about "assault weapons", even though they weren't used much in real crimes, and most that were were already illegal anyway. But so many crimes are committed with illegal guns it's not even funny. The famous Colombine for example was all guns that were illegally acquired. Or the gun is being carried by someone not permitted to carry it. Those that are following the law and getting permits aren't generally involved in these types of incidents.

The notion that banning guns or not letting folks carry them will suddenly make all this violent crime go away is ludicrous. People are using them illegally all the time as it is, how will tightening the laws make it even more difficult? Plax wasn't licensed yet was carrying his anyway...
Old 12-01-2008, 09:16 PM   #78
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
The problem here in the States are the number of ILLEGAL guns floating around, or people carrying them illegally. Everyone gets all worked up about "assault weapons", even though they weren't used much in real crimes, and most that were were already illegal anyway. But so many crimes are committed with illegal guns it's not even funny. The famous Colombine for example was all guns that were illegally acquired. Or the gun is being carried by someone not permitted to carry it. Those that are following the law and getting permits aren't generally involved in these types of incidents.

The notion that banning guns or not letting folks carry them will suddenly make all this violent crime go away is ludicrous. People are using them illegally all the time as it is, how will tightening the laws make it even more difficult? Plax wasn't licensed yet was carrying his anyway...

Of course it won't make violent crime dissapear. There will still always be illegal guns floating about regardless of what the US does. I think that guns are just such a part of American culture that it creates a demand for them. People who over here might go out and get themselves a knife or baseball bat would, in the US, be more likely to go get themselves a gun, because chances are you know someone who knows someone who can get you one - especially if you are the kind of person thinking about getting an illegal weapon in the first place.

IMO if you are serious about this problem, you have to change the culture of the US with regards to guns, and it would likely have a trickle-down effect that would take a considerable amount of time. I doubt it ever happens, because if the government ever tried to make it happen the very next time there was a home invasion by someone armed with a gun, pro-gun folks and the media will all be crying out "if only the occupants of the house had a firearm to protect them".
Old 12-01-2008, 10:37 PM   #79
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

What we know:

A) Burress accidentally shot himself

B) Burress was in a night club at the time

C) Burress did not have a permit to carry

So obviously:

Burress pleads not guilty to weapons charges...

A + B + C = Guilty no matter how much your lawyer lies and stretches the loopholes
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:13 PM   #80
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
What we know:

A) Burress accidentally shot himself

B) Burress was in a night club at the time

C) Burress did not have a permit to carry

So obviously:

Burress pleads not guilty to weapons charges...

A + B + C = Guilty no matter how much your lawyer lies and stretches the loopholes

You don't plead guilty to two felonies right off the bat, you work out a deal. Sure, it's a slam dunk case, but not worth the state spending a year's worth of resources on. They'll meet halfway. Any prosecutor's office would need at least 500X as many attorneys to try every case they get.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:01 PM   #81
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Sportscenter reporting that Plax is done for the season.

Suspended by the Giants for four games and placed on the non-football injury list.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:44 PM   #82
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Sportscenter reporting that Plax is done for the season.

Suspended by the Giants for four games and placed on the non-football injury list.

Good. I don't much care how good he is or not good depending on your viewpoint, the fact is he's a farking moron for going out of his home with a loaded firearm. Hopefully he'll wake up and get a clue after this.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:50 PM   #83
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Good. I don't much care how good he is or not good depending on your viewpoint, the fact is he's a farking moron for going out of his home with a loaded firearm. Hopefully he'll wake up and get a clue after this.

Then he would lose his street cred and that's a big deal.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote