Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-23-2008, 01:42 PM   #51
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Most dangerous job in America, midnight clerk at a 7-11.

Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:04 PM   #52
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
She's dealing with a death, which coming down on her would make you come off as a jerk in the first place, if other employees got wind of it.

Considering the industry in question, I'd say BFD. Every c-store clerk in the world is there only until something better comes along, and all that's owed in 8 hours pay for 8 hours work (and vice versa). There'll be no loyalty coming from the employee so why on earth should the employer somehow act differently? Plus, if she skates on this, it's guaranfuckingteed that every employee will be pulling the same shit within weeks if not sooner.

There's not a single doubt in my mind that what she'd be doing on Sunday is picking up her last paycheck, with a short speech about how I'd love to be understanding but failing to even bother to call in failed to give me the opportunity.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #53
Flasch186
Coordinator

consider the source when considering the above. From what I here its really easy and people are clamoring to work the overnight shift at 7-11's. oh, wait that's Jon's Bizzarro world.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 01-23-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Flasch186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:52 PM   #54
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Just got home from my first 16 hour shift, whew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Damn Warrenville is far away. I do get down to Glen Ellyn and Naperville on occasion, but I rarely have time to kill in those cases. Hopefully I can make the trip someday!

You are not too far. I live in Naperville and it's a 15 minute commute north for me. And it's right off Butterfield road so Glen Ellyn is no excuse either. I'm expecting your visit shortly!

As for the employee, she has 16+ years in the industry and last week showed that she's definetly knowledgeable at what she does. She seems a bit OCD with cleaning (which is really all the overnight shift is in charge of, so that's great.) She's a, well, pretty lady, and lets just say she knows to take advantages of it when dealing with customers. She was referred to me by someone I trust, and it is because of that reason that I am open to giving her another opportunity pending Sunday's talk. I will let her know however that a phone call should absolutely have been made however.

Btw, I do appreciate all the input in the thread. Thanks guys.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:17 PM   #55
Flasch186
Coordinator

dont listen to Jon....ever

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 01-23-2008, 10:22 PM   #56
Subby
lolzcat

Just saw this for the first time - really impressive, man...best of luck to you!

Can I get one of those baller 7-eleven shirts?
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:40 PM   #57
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
she has 16+ years in the industry...She's a, well, pretty lady

Does Not Compute
Old 01-23-2008, 11:17 PM   #58
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Considering the industry in question, I'd say BFD. Every c-store clerk in the world is there only until something better comes along, and all that's owed in 8 hours pay for 8 hours work (and vice versa). There'll be no loyalty coming from the employee so why on earth should the employer somehow act differently? Plus, if she skates on this, it's guaranfuckingteed that every employee will be pulling the same shit within weeks if not sooner.

There's not a single doubt in my mind that what she'd be doing on Sunday is picking up her last paycheck, with a short speech about how I'd love to be understanding but failing to even bother to call in failed to give me the opportunity.

You know, I am usually the touchy-feely, cut-everyone-a-break guy, but in this case, I agree with Jon in a way.

I have been unfortunate enough to have worked as a retail employee in the past, and I've seen stuff like this many, many times. 99% of the time that someone in the absentee employee's family "died", but the employee DIDN'T call (because they were "too traumatized"), that employee was lying and simply trying to get a few free days off. And if that person wasn't trying to get a day off, they had wanted to quit, but after a few days decided that they still wanted the job, so they made up an excuse that played on the heart to work their way back in.

I know that all sounds bad, but like Jon said, at low-paying retail jobs, there isn't a lot of loyalty, and almost everyone is looking for a reason/way to get out. This could be that 1% honest situation, but I sure as hell wouldn't bet on it.

I have a feeling that a lot of people (Flasch maybe) have great work ethic, but haven't really worked much in low-end retail/convenience and don't realize the reality of the situation.

Last edited by Schmidty : 01-23-2008 at 11:19 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:25 PM   #59
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
You know, I am usually the touchy-feely, cut-everyone-a-break guy, but in this case, I agree with Jon in a way.

I have been unfortunate enough to have worked as a retail employee in the past, and I've seen stuff like this many, many times. 99% of the time that someone in the absentee employee's family "died", but the employee DIDN'T call (because they were "too traumatized"), that employee was lying and simply trying to get a few free days off. And if that person wasn't trying to get a day off, they had wanted to quit, but after a few days decided that they still wanted the job, so they made up an excuse that played on the heart to work their way back in.

I know that all sounds bad, but like Jon said, at low-paying retail jobs, there isn't a lot of loyalty, and almost everyone is looking for a reason/way to get out. This could be that 1% honest situation, but I sure as hell wouldn't bet on it.

I have a feeling that a lot of people (Flasch maybe) have great work ethic, but haven't really worked much in low-end retail/convenience and don't realize the reality of the situation.

well only when it doesnt conflict with my laziness.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 01-23-2008, 11:27 PM   #60
Schmidty
Coordinator

Dola.

There are a few things in life that you just do not "forget":

1. Eating

2. Pooping and peeing

3. Sleeping

4. Your job
Old 01-24-2008, 12:34 AM   #61
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Damn Warrenville is far away. I do get down to Glen Ellyn and Naperville on occasion, but I rarely have time to kill in those cases. Hopefully I can make the trip someday!

ACK hes gonna kill Neuq, prolly for owning a 711.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:21 AM   #62
Passacaglia
Coordinator

On the other hand, if she's been doing well when she shows up, that's reason enough to cut her some slack. I'd imagine people who do their jobs well are hard to find in that business.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:59 AM   #63
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
On the other hand, if she's been doing well when she shows up, that's reason enough to cut her some slack. I'd imagine people who do their jobs well are hard to find in that business.

not according to Jon, people are clamoring for it.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 12-01-2008, 04:01 PM   #64
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

And today another chapter of my life closes...

I reached the point in my contract where I had to pony up a hefty financial commitment or go in another direction. After weeks of talking to my closest friends/family and well, my accountant, I decided that the more responsible and intelligent decision would be to walk away at this time.

I had the papers signed a couple weeks ago and sold the business back to corporate. As much as I enjoyed what I was doing, I know this was the right thing to do. The economy had especially taken a toll on the little intersection which my store relies on. Customers who had been coming in for years were now only coming in on paycheck days. I know the potential is there to ride out the storm now and have things pick up in the future but after weighing the positives and negatives, I realized the responsible thing to do was to let corporate absorb the losses. I can't risk putting my financial security which I have worked so hard to build, at stake for a losing proposition.

I'm still in shock kind of. The employees all got very emotional and all begged for me to change my mind.

What's troubling is being without a job during the holiday season. I just moved into a new house with the folks, and dad has gotten sick so mom is the only one paying the bills currently. I don't like sitting around and doing nothing so if anyone knows of possible directions to point me in, I would appreciate it.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:10 PM   #65
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I don't have any useful advice but I wish you the best. Not the ending we were hoping for

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:20 PM   #66
MrBug708
Head Coach

Sorry to hear Neuq
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #67
DanGarion
Coordinator

Sorry to hear that you decided to sell the store back. It's tough owning a business, my wife isn't happy with running her dog grooming shop and wants to sell eventually too.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #68
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

thank you, come again.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #69
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
And today another chapter of my life closes...

I reached the point in my contract where I had to pony up a hefty financial commitment or go in another direction. After weeks of talking to my closest friends/family and well, my accountant, I decided that the more responsible and intelligent decision would be to walk away at this time.

I had the papers signed a couple weeks ago and sold the business back to corporate. As much as I enjoyed what I was doing, I know this was the right thing to do. The economy had especially taken a toll on the little intersection which my store relies on. Customers who had been coming in for years were now only coming in on paycheck days. I know the potential is there to ride out the storm now and have things pick up in the future but after weighing the positives and negatives, I realized the responsible thing to do was to let corporate absorb the losses. I can't risk putting my financial security which I have worked so hard to build, at stake for a losing proposition.

I'm still in shock kind of. The employees all got very emotional and all begged for me to change my mind.

What's troubling is being without a job during the holiday season. I just moved into a new house with the folks, and dad has gotten sick so mom is the only one paying the bills currently. I don't like sitting around and doing nothing so if anyone knows of possible directions to point me in, I would appreciate it.

sorry to hear that man. I was just thinking about you and the store the other day. As for other options, you could do what Im doing on the side:

Liveops.com

I made $400 the first month PT (about $12/hr but I havnt been as good as I could be and now that ive gotten some pointers I expect to get that $/hr avg up)

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 12-02-2008, 08:18 AM   #70
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Geez, the 2007 revisits haven't been good over the past couple of days. First WhiteSox and his girlfriend, now the 7-11 project.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:46 AM   #71
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yikes - sorry to hear that Neaqua.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:25 AM   #72
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Geez, the 2007 revisits haven't been good over the past couple of days. First WhiteSox and his girlfriend, now the 7-11 project.

That's what I was thinking, too

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote