Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-20-2008, 11:10 PM   #101
WVUFAN
College Starter

So, is anyone out there playing 4th edition?

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:29 AM   #102
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post

Not me. Then again, I only play a few times a year. I don't think my group has the time or energy to invest in the new edition.

I read through the 4th edition Player's Handbook and didn't really like what I saw. I'm happy enough with 3rd edition/3.5.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:46 AM   #103
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I'm not very interested. I heard from a friend that it was very numbers heavy and not much fun.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #104
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I'm still stuck on the 1st edition.

Give me THAC0 or give me death!*

*please note that on a 1 I will always avoid death and 20 will always cause death
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:07 PM   #105
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Been so long since I have played...I played all 3rd ed. though. I'd love to play again.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #106
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I'm still stuck on the 1st edition.

Give me THAC0 or give me death!*

*please note that on a 1 I will always avoid death and 20 will always cause death

I'm rusty, but isn't THAC0 a 2nd edition concept?
Old 11-21-2008, 01:35 PM   #107
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post

yes, but only one session. we had fun, and I actually was able to enjoy playing a 1st level wizard.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:38 PM   #108
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
I'm rusty, but isn't THAC0 a 2nd edition concept?

Damn, I'm rusty too. I'll might have to turn in my Jolt and Wizard Cap. In first edition, I always just remembers the values to hit AC0 and worked around that so.. guess if I want to be correct I should have said give me combat tables.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #109
Schmidty
Coordinator

I miss D&D, as I've mentioned before. I wonder how much the computer age, and MMORPGs in particular have affected the decline of tabletop RPGs.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:31 PM   #110
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I've got all the stuff, and run an intermittent game with friends
Old 11-21-2008, 02:51 PM   #111
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I miss D&D, as I've mentioned before. I wonder how much the computer age, and MMORPGs in particular have affected the decline of tabletop RPGs.

In 2007, the CCG gaming industry (Magic and its ilk) was over 750 million dollars, the CMG industry (Heroclix Star Wars, etc miniatures) was at about 160 million and the RPG industry (D&D and all between) was just 17 million. Paper RPGs have ceased to be pertinent to gaming as a whole. It is a small field with a small number of viable games and a small group of players.

-Abe

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:15 PM   #112
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I think that's highly misleading. This is like comparing total pen sales to total computer sales and saying that writing with pens is a small field with a small number of options and a small group of writers.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:41 PM   #113
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
I think that's highly misleading. This is like comparing total pen sales to total computer sales and saying that writing with pens is a small field with a small number of options and a small group of writers.

It may not completely tale the tale, but it is true. I saw the trend going that direction almost 18 years ago (I'm so freakin' old *sigh*) when I was working in gaming. The kids were all going to Magic, very few RPG gamers under 21 by that time. When you go to conventions, you still see a lot of gamers, but not the over-whelming numbers there used to be. There is no doubt far few gamers than there where when I was actively gaming.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:55 PM   #114
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I've been playing once a month with friends - and enjoying it. I think the changes in 4th edition were good ones for the most part. They definitely give the combat more pop and make it more fun, at the cost of some of the flexibility of the system in non-combat situations.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:58 PM   #115
Sgran
High School Varsity

I started playing AD&D again last year after a 20-year hiatus and managed to get a weekly game of 1e going here in Hungary (in English). In other words, old school Dungeons and Dragons is alive and kicking. Check out Dragonsfoot if you're interested in joining a 1e or 2e game.
Dragonsfoot • Index page

The guys I play with here have tried 3e and found it lacking. They prefer 2e, but I'm the one with the books so we play 1e.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:39 PM   #116
Celeval
Pro Starter

I don't have the time to play anymore, unfortunately. If I did, I'd be into 4e.

Although my best campaigns were in the Known World, back in OD&D. Basic through Immortal ftw!

Last edited by Celeval : 11-21-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #117
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I play 3.5 every week still. 4th edition doesn't even enter my thought process. It took us years to learn how to play 3rd edition 'properly', and I'm not about to suffer through that process again.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:48 PM   #118
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I play 4th edition with two different groups. One is supposed to be weekly but ends up being about once every 3 weeks, and the other is intermittent but probably once every 6 weeks.

4th is by far my favorite edition of D&D. It just makes so much more sense, and the combat is fantastic.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:01 PM   #119
MrDNA
High School Varsity

The 4th edition makes playing a first-level wizard FUN!? This is not the D&D I know!!
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:55 AM   #120
Eilim
High School Varsity

After the whole 3.0 to 3.5 fiasco (atleast for me..), I just had to walk away from AD&D. As much as the urge sometimes pulls at me, I just can't bring myself to do it. Luckily, It hasn't spoiled me too much from RPing. If anything, its had the opposite effect on me as I've become a "system whore" of sorts. As of late I've been having a lot of fun with the ORE based games and after that bastard Fozzie ( ) pinging Twilight: 2000 fans and the ensuing talk about both Twilight and Traveller I grabbed copies of the new editions of both those systems and have had a blast tinkering with them.

Who knows though, the local Borders was having a big sale and I know they carry the 4.0 boxed set there. Maybe I'll ask my sister to pick it up as a gift and check it out. For now though, when the AD&D urge does flair up, I just bust out the rules cyclopedia for my fix.
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote