Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-28-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Business Partners Suck

I always feel like life is a series of lessons and we will always be learning from it, mistakes not to make again and such, I just had one of those major learning lessons hit me the past 2 months.

A lot of you know that I moved to Buffalo, NY to start a business with 2 former co-workers I truly got a long with and understood. Things started off great, we had a major account that was going to bring us serious cash in our first year, we had been announced as one of the top start-ups picked to succeed by AMR research and then one of the partners blew up the big deal. The investors came at us after the screw up and pay cuts were requested. We all took it, but it was a big one for me, considering I had already taken a 40K pay cut to make the move over here.

Now money is running thin with the company and September rolls around and I am asked to take another pay cut, I can't do it, I told them no. Then on Oct 13, it was asked again and I said no again, with my response came the letter, they were forcing me out. Truly devastating to me, it was a major blow, I was being forced from my idea, my creation.

Luckily, I left my last company on amazing terms, and three phone calls later I was on a plane to North Carolina for them in just over a week. I have been traveling for the old company ever since. It's why you haven't heard much from me lately. (1 day home since the last week of October.)

My lesson from this is that the grass isn't always greener on the other side and I was lucky as hell to land on my two feet and not crash hard from this one. I had a great career going with me at the old company and it's the only reason they took me back. I am having to earn the reputation back, it's coming but it's tough as things have changed and with the tough economic times come tougher sales. The plus in all of this, the family loves Buffalo and I am making the same amount of money here as I was in Utah and it is about 30% less in the cost of living.

Anyways, thought I would just provide a little catch up with everyone.

MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

damn - that's a kick in the teeth!

glad to hear you got back up and knocked em out though!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
Galaxy
Coordinator

Hopefully everything goes well with the new job. I remember you telling us at our get together about everything (I believe you accepted the new position that day), so it's good to hear that your back kicking butt in a tough economy.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Hopefully everything goes well with the new job. I remember you telling us at our get together about everything (I believe you accepted the new position that day), so it's good to hear that your back kicking butt in a tough economy.

Yeah, that was it...and honestly, I hate to say it, but traveling gets in the blood and never leaves, especially when you travel with a team of people that are all pretty cool.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #5
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Yeah, that was it...and honestly, I hate to say it, but traveling gets in the blood and never leaves, especially when you travel with a team of people that are all pretty cool.

Good to hear. Will your travel schedule allow you a little more time home once your settled in?

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-28-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:02 PM   #6
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Sorry to hear. Any chance you'll be moving back to Utah?
Old 11-28-2008, 08:05 PM   #7
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Well that sucks, MG. Glad to hear you've landed on your feet, though, and seem to be enjoying yourself.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:42 PM   #8
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Sorry to hear. Any chance you'll be moving back to Utah?

The answer to that according to my wife is an emphatic....Hell No.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:29 PM   #9
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Glad to hear you've been able to salvage your situation - it's tough when those partnerships don't work out. Best of luck!
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:43 PM   #10
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Glad it worked out OK, and something to be said for not burning any bridges.

What part of NC?

After my first company went broke because of a partner with a coke habit, I heard a now fairly common to me phrase, "the only ship in the world that will always sink is a partnership" Its why even through some lean times Ive never considered taking on a partner.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 11-28-2008 at 10:44 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:36 AM   #11
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Glad it worked out OK, and something to be said for not burning any bridges.

What part of NC?

After my first company went broke because of a partner with a coke habit, I heard a now fairly common to me phrase, "the only ship in the world that will always sink is a partnership" Its why even through some lean times Ive never considered taking on a partner.

Company is based out of Utah but we were all over the area. Mainly the Tobacco Road region.

Yeah, I am now definitely feeling that right now. I am working on my own business again on the side, hoping to get it back up to where I had it before.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:18 AM   #12
Flasch186
Coordinator

better not involve sweet tea

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:42 AM   #13
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Company is based out of Utah but we were all over the area. Mainly the Tobacco Road region.

Yeah, I am now definitely feeling that right now. I am working on my own business again on the side, hoping to get it back up to where I had it before.

It sounds like that being based in Utah really doesn't matter, since your traveling all over. Hope the new business is successful.

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-29-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #14
BYU 14
Coordinator

Glad to hear things are picking up again Dennis. I can indentify with your situation all too closely as I similar venture ended very badly for me last year and we still haven't recovered and may never totally.

The bad part for me, as with you it seems, is I was a good friend with the person I invested in as well. The old adage, you never do business with friends seems well proven for both of us. My old "partner" still owes me 25 K and we barely speak, except for me to ask when he will have some cash for me....Kind of crappy, but like you say, life lessons.

I do hope you get to spend some more time at home with the Family though. I can only imagine how tough that must be.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:16 PM   #15
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
better not involve sweet tea

Old 11-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #16
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I do hope you get to spend some more time at home with the Family though. I can only imagine how tough that must be.

When all is said and done, I will travel about 5 to 6 months out of the year for the company and I will be home the rest of the time. I will get trips to Europe, Australia and potentially Singapore out of it. The best part is being home in the summer with the kids, although I have to stockpile my money as it is a dry spell for us, but we will probably head on vacation at that time.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #17
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
When all is said and done, I will travel about 5 to 6 months out of the year for the company and I will be home the rest of the time. I will get trips to Europe, Australia and potentially Singapore out of it. The best part is being home in the summer with the kids, although I have to stockpile my money as it is a dry spell for us, but we will probably head on vacation at that time.

Sounds like a rough life (hope you get some nice perks out of it as well).

I'm guessing you'll be able to rack up some frequent flyer/stay miles/points that you can use towards the vacation.

What's your plan on for your business?

Last edited by Galaxy : 11-29-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:51 PM   #18
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Sounds like a rough life (hope you get some nice perks out of it as well).

I'm guessing you'll be able to rack up some frequent flyer/stay miles/points that you can use towards the vacation.

What's your plan on for your business?

It's back to where I was last year where I should have stuck with it on the move and that was running my own online stores using drop shippers, I have a nice deal set up with a few for some specific things, I just have to get my sites optimized and up and running.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:57 PM   #19
Flasch186
Coordinator

Let me know if you want to carry MrBrewman's Premium Southern Sweet Tea

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #20
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Let me know if you want to carry MrBrewman's Premium Southern Sweet Tea

Actually, I have been doing some research on it, if the numbers equal what I want them to, expect a PM from me.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:00 PM   #21
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
It's back to where I was last year where I should have stuck with it on the move and that was running my own online stores using drop shippers, I have a nice deal set up with a few for some specific things, I just have to get my sites optimized and up and running.

Will you leave your current position if they can reach your goals?
Old 11-30-2008, 03:38 AM   #22
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Good to hear. Will your travel schedule allow you a little more time home once your settled in?

Quote:
The answer to that according to my wife is an emphatic....Hell No.

Did I read those in the right order?