Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #301
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Isn't Sun Bowl between Pac 10 #3 and Big Ten #5 or something like that? Or did the Big Ten break off its contract with the Sun?

Yeah, there was a new arrangement at the Sun Bowl starting in 2006. One spot is for the Pac-10, and the other is for the Big 12, Big East, or Notre Dame. The deal was for 2006-2009, and over those four years the Big 12 got two spots, and the Big East/ND the other two. So far Mizzou and South Florida have made appearances since the deal started.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:28 PM   #302
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Yeah, there was a new arrangement at the Sun Bowl starting in 2006. One spot is for the Pac-10, and the other is for the Big 12, Big East, or Notre Dame. The deal was for 2006-2009, and over those four years the Big 12 got two spots, and the Big East/ND the other two. So far Mizzou and South Florida have made appearances since the deal started.

Well, that explains that then. Probably better--I would rather see a Big 12 team there than a Big 10 team. But I would probably rather see a Big 10 team there than Notre Dame or a Big East team. So hopefully it lands a solid bowl eligible squad from the Big 12.

As for the Pac 10 bowl spots, it's getting a bit murky. The clinched bowl eligibles are OSU, USC, Oregon, Cal and Arizona. There are only two more bowl eligible possibles in ASU and UCLA, and they play each other in a "bowl eligible elimination" game next Friday. And even then they could both lose their final games the week after (Arizona and USC, so both much better teams as well). Worst case scenario has them both with five wins at best, and neither going leaving just five bowl eligible Pac 10 teams.

And since OSU is likely to nad the Rose Bowl spot, USC probably gets one of the ten BCS spots, meaning only four of the bowl eligibles will go to a Pac-10 tying game (including the Rose).

Using current standings, it would be...

Oregon State (Rose vs Penn State)
USC (probably Fiesta, but a BCS bowl, not sure against who, Utah?)
Oregon (Holiday, probably against Missou if OU/Texas both get spots in BCS)
Cal (Sun, probably against Notre Dame unless ND gets grabbed higher up, because they'll make money off of that, then Nebraska or Okie State or Kansas or West Virginia)

That leaves the final team, Arizona, to be fought over by the Poinsettia and Las Vegas bowls, whose other best options would normally be MWC teams, but they already have MWC tie ins. Las Vegas gets first choice, so they'll match up Arizona with BYU. And BYU fans will just love going back to the Vegas Bowl...again...

That leaves the Poinsettia, Hawaii and Emerald bowls scrambling. They are probably praying one of either UCLA or ASU get bowl eligible, although if UCLA wins out, it will probably knock USC from a BCS bowl, and fill two spots Poinsettia and Hawaii, probably.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:16 AM   #303
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Awesome. Well, then, if you make it out here, let me be the first to invite you out for a drink. Heck, maybe we can even get a SoCal FOFC gathering for around then (although it may be tough if a bunch of people are out of town for the holidays).

Sounds like a plan! I already talked to Dan and he seemed interested too. Right now I dont think I am flying right into LA. My friends and I might go to Las Vegas or Phoenix and make the drive. The airfare is a bit cheaper.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:39 PM   #304
JeeberD
General Manager

Supposedly the Sun Bowl Committee is bypassing the Big East's spot and extending an offer to Notre Dame already...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:46 PM   #305
Logan
Head Coach

That's coming from ND media. The rest of the world maintains that they cannot receive the bid at this point.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:51 PM   #306
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm hearing it from a guy in El Paso who has plenty of connections, and he says that the SBC chairman himself has said they're taking ND...

Old 11-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #307
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
I'm hearing it from a guy in El Paso who has plenty of connections, and he says that the SBC chairman himself has said they're taking ND...

If that's the case, he is making these assumptions:

1) Rutgers loses to Louisville on December 4th. This would put them at 6-6 for the season and would not be automatically eligible to fill one of the Big East's bowl slots.

2) Notre Dame beats USC. That would give them 7 wins, tying them with the Big East teams who also have 7 wins.

3) The Pac 10 does not get enough bowl eligible teams where they can then take a 6-6 Notre Dame as an at-large.

Notre Dame can't to go to the Sun Bowl if the Big East has six 7 win teams to fill its six bowl games. By NCAA rules, the Sun Bowl is not allowed to select a 6 win Big East team (including Notre Dame) if a 7 win team is available. There are five 7 win teams (Cincy, Pitt, West Virginia, UConn and USF) with Rutgers having 6 and a game to play.

This info comes straight from Big East associate commissioner Nick Carparelli.

Last edited by Logan : 11-24-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:20 PM   #308
JeeberD
General Manager

This is what I'm hearing...

Quote:
Just heard the chairman of the Sun Bowl selection committee say they will select Notre Dame. There has been talk that the Sun would have to take a Big East team with seven wins before the Sun could take Notre Dame. He said he has researched it and he feels fine with the Sun Bowl's position and is willing to fight the Big East and the NCAA and select Notre Dame.

and

Quote:
He feels that based on his research of the contract that they can and will fight the NCAA and take them anyway. He made it sound like the Sun Bowl legal team has already found what they believe will stand up in court and they are willing to go that route.

The SBC is willing to fight for ND because there's a large ND following in El Paso due to the large catholic population of the city. I don't know if any of their arguments will stand up or not, but I have no doubt they're going to try their best...

Edit: And it's from this thread, if you're interested...

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=330390

Last edited by JeeberD : 11-24-2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:26 PM   #309
molson
General Manager

For those of you who feel all depraved without a college football playoff bracket, here's one for the 1-AA, announced today.

molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:35 PM   #310
RedKingGold
College Starter

Go Nova!

Maybe I'll try to go to the game this weekend (I think it's at Villanova Stadium)
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:43 PM   #311
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
This is what I'm hearing...

All of that is pretty damn stupid (the thought process, nothing from you of course ...)

The NCAA rules couldn't really be clearer when it comes to bowl eligibility. If the Sun Bowl people would rather put up a legal fight (which I'm guessing wouldn't be resolved quickly) and detract from the actual bowl game, just so they can have the Notre Dame travelers instead of West Virginia's (one of the better traveling fan bases in the country), they don't deserve to have a game.

Especially considering Notre Dame would get destroyed again.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:49 PM   #312
JeeberD
General Manager

Nobody has ever tried to claim that the SBC is smart...

Old 11-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #313
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
All of that is pretty damn stupid (the thought process, nothing from you of course ...)

The NCAA rules couldn't really be clearer when it comes to bowl eligibility. If the Sun Bowl people would rather put up a legal fight (which I'm guessing wouldn't be resolved quickly) and detract from the actual bowl game, just so they can have the Notre Dame travelers instead of West Virginia's (one of the better traveling fan bases in the country), they don't deserve to have a game.

Especially considering Notre Dame would get destroyed again.

Hate to say it, but having Notre Dame and fighting the legal battle which may results would likely generate more money than hosting the 5th best team in the Big East.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:29 PM   #314
Logan
Head Coach

They might sell 5,000 more seats if Notre Dame is in the game instead of West Virginia. If, like Jeeber said, they want ND because of the huge local Catholic population, who are people who won't be spending 2-4 nights in hotels and at restaurants, which is where the real money comes from, the bowl will not last very long.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:40 PM   #315
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
They might sell 5,000 more seats if Notre Dame is in the game instead of West Virginia. If, like Jeeber said, they want ND because of the huge local Catholic population, who are people who won't be spending 2-4 nights in hotels and at restaurants, which is where the real money comes from, the bowl will not last very long.

Considering the Sun Bowl has been around since 1935, I doubt it's concerned about longevity.

Also, I think you underestimate the power of the Dark Side when it comes to Notre Dame.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 11-24-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:57 PM   #316
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
For those of you who feel all depraved without a college football playoff bracket, here's one for the 1-AA, announced today.

That reminds me, if the FCS ever goes to a playoff system in the future, it will be done like the other college divisions and the NFL. All of the games except the championship game will be played at the higher seeded team's home field. All of this nonsense about the bowls filling the playoff spots is preposterous from a logistical and attendance standpoint.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:21 PM   #317
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If that's the case, he is making these assumptions:

3) The Pac 10 does not get enough bowl eligible teams where they can then take a 6-6 Notre Dame as an at-large.
The Pac-10 has 7 bowl berths this year and only 6 teams (at most) will be bowl eligible. Plus, if Oregon State beats Oregon, USC will get an at-large BCS bowl bid if they beat Notre Dame and UCLA, leaving only 5 Pac-10 teams (at most) for their 7 bowl berths.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:55 PM   #318
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'm guessing that Notre Dame would side with the Big East over the Sun Bowl in this scenario. I cannot see them violating their association with the Big East over a bowl of the Sun Bowl's magnitude, when other third tier bowls will be available to them without forcing the conference that they belong to into going to court. Notre Dame has been a pretty strong advocate for the BE football teams and helped them keep their BCS bid after the ACC raid. If they fail to honor the Big East's bowl rules, it could lead to the divorce of an agreement that is pretty damn favorable to the ND AD.

I don't think they will think the Sun Bowl is worth that fight, but I could be wrong.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:38 PM   #319
General Mike
Pro Starter

F*** the Sun Bowl. No one wants to go to El Paso anyways.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #320
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post

+1
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:48 PM   #321
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:

Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:06 PM   #322
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
The Pac-10 has 7 bowl berths this year and only 6 teams (at most) will be bowl eligible. Plus, if Oregon State beats Oregon, USC will get an at-large BCS bowl bid if they beat Notre Dame and UCLA, leaving only 5 Pac-10 teams (at most) for their 7 bowl berths.

Thanks for summing up my post above, dawg.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:44 PM   #323
mckerney
Coordinator

Former Dolphins and USC assistant Tim Davis looks like he'll be hired as the O-Line coach at Minnesota. Any USC/Pac 10 fans have any insight on him?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:34 PM   #324
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Sounds like a plan! I already talked to Dan and he seemed interested too. Right now I dont think I am flying right into LA. My friends and I might go to Las Vegas or Phoenix and make the drive. The airfare is a bit cheaper.

Terrific! We'll have to see if some others want to join us. Bug? Who else? bhhloy? heybrad? Danny, you're out here aren't you? I know there are a ton, although I don't know how many you have connections with, Brian.

I can definitely see going the Vegas or Phoenix route for cheaper airfare if possible. Heck, just make it Vegas.

I am off from one job for sure from the day after Christmas until January 5, so outside of the occasional short shift at the other job and the usual family obligations, I should be free.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:32 AM   #325
tarcone
Coordinator

Ive heard if Mizzou loses the Big 12 championship game the matchup in the Outback bowl will be Iowa vs. Missouri.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:39 AM   #326
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Hey Chief...do you have to buy tickets to go to the Rose Parade?
Old 11-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #327
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Ive heard if Mizzou loses the Big 12 championship game the matchup in the Outback bowl will be Iowa vs. Missouri.

Holiday Bowl is reportedly the most likely destination at this point for Mizzou if they lose.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:08 AM   #328
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

Old 11-25-2008, 09:11 AM   #329
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:

Everything I've seen has Michigan St. in the Outback Bowl, fwiw.

But it depends on if USC or Oregon St. blows it. That would open up a spot for Ohio St. in the BCS and move all the Big Ten bowls up one.

(And yes, I know that being 3rd in Big Ten Standings does not equal 3rd in Bowl Position, but I think Michigan St. is a bigger draw than you'd think).
Old 11-25-2008, 10:57 AM   #330
timmynausea
College Starter

Big East official: No truth to Notre Dame to Sun Bowl story

Posted By Keith Sargeant On November 25, 2008 @ 10:25 am In Uncategorized | 1 Comment

A report on El Paso TV station Kvia.com’s web site in which Sun Bowl chairman John Folmer said a deal to bring Notre Dame to the Sun has been “worked out” is inaccurate, a high-ranking Big East official said Tuesday morning.

“The rules are clear, they’ve been confirmed, they’ve been triple-confirmed,” said the Big East official, who asked to be anonymous. “If Rutgers wins, we will have six teams with winning records and the Sun Bowl cannot select Notre Dame.”

Asked if there’s any way that the Sun Bowl will attempt to skirt the rule and take 6-win Notre Dame anyway, the official said: “I really don’t sense they would go that far. You’re talking about severing relationships for the future and I think we all plan on being in business for a while.

“But if they did, they’d lose. It would be the NCAA that would have to change the rule and I think we’d have most of those people on our side.”

[1] As reported here on Monday, barring major upsets on the college football landscape – namely Notre Dame beating No. 5 Southern Cal on Saturday – Rutgers’ likely destination with a win over Louisville will be the Meineke Car Care Bowl in Charlotte, N.C., a Big East official reiterated Tuesday morning.

That’s because the Sun Bowl is prefers West Virginia above all other bowl-eligible Big East teams. Barring a Syracuse upset of Cincinnati that opens up the Big East title race and unless West Virginia loses its final two games, the Sun is expected to invite West Virginia.

The Meineke also prefers West Virginia but will take Rutgers if the Mountaineers are off their board, multiple officials with knowledge of the Big East’s bowl pecking order said.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:32 AM   #331
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
Everything I've seen has Michigan St. in the Outback Bowl, fwiw.

But it depends on if USC or Oregon St. blows it. That would open up a spot for Ohio St. in the BCS and move all the Big Ten bowls up one.

(And yes, I know that being 3rd in Big Ten Standings does not equal 3rd in Bowl Position, but I think Michigan St. is a bigger draw than you'd think).

My connestions in Iowa City say its pretty much a lock for Iowa to go to the Outback. They love the Hawks and have a recent history of great crowd turnouts coming in from the north.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:15 PM   #332
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:

sorry Jeebs.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 07:31 PM   #333
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Hey Chief...do you have to buy tickets to go to the Rose Parade?

lol...believe it or not, I have never been. Parades were never my thing.

My understanding is, no, you don't need tickets. But I have celebrated New Year's Eve in Old Town Pasadena, which is basically the hub the Rose Parade goes through, and it's nuts with people who actually camp out at a spot to be sure to have a front row spot for the parade. So I don't think you need to buy a ticket, but if you want a spot up front, you may have to bite the bullet.

My recommendation is screw that, there are better ways to spend a New Year's Eve, and then try to get there early and wing it. I'm sure you can still find a reasonaby good spot somewhere along the route.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:32 PM   #334
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I'm not a big Parade fan either but I thought since I am out there I might as well experience it.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:34 AM   #335
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
My connestions in Iowa City say its pretty much a lock for Iowa to go to the Outback. They love the Hawks and have a recent history of great crowd turnouts coming in from the north.

"shrug"
Old 11-27-2008, 09:44 AM   #336
PilotMan
Head Coach

Iowa v. Minnesota gets midwestern juices flowing. The best part is at the end.

Iowa fans cited for restroom sex during Gophs game

MINNEAPOLIS – While the Hawkeyes were stomping the Gophers on the Metrodome field last weekend, police said two Iowa fans were having a romp of a different kind in a restroom. Both events, police say, had their share of cheering fans.

A 38-year-old woman and a 26-year-old man turned to a handicapped stall for their tryst Saturday evening. On the field, the Hawkeyes were on their way to 55-0 trouncing of the Gophers. In the restroom, a crowd of intoxicated fans gathered to cheer the off-the-field event.

Eventually, a security guard tipped off University of Minnesota police. Officers had to interrupt the couple to cite them for indecent conduct, a misdemeanor. Police Chief Greg Hestness said the woman initially gave a false name to officers. She was released to her husband and the man was released to his girlfriend.

Both people in the stall were intoxicated.

Information from: St. Paul Pioneer Press

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote