Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #1
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Lost Odyssey

I got this for Valentine's day and while I'm only about 5 hours into it, I have to say that it is already one of the most moving games I've played in many years. Lots of reading of the protagonist's memories but they are well worth it as they are emotionally evoking. For those that don't know about this game, it is a classical Japanese turn based RPG. It is developed by many of the same people who worked on older final fantasy games including composer Nobuo Uematsu and the soundtrack adds very nicely to the text memories. I can't remember the last time before this game that a game has made me teary eyed, but this one has done so twice already.

Also, the opening scene that introduces you to the protagonists is one of the better ones that I can remember in an RPG. Anyone else enjoying this game?

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-17-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Izulde
Head Coach

I've been wanting to pick it up, but don't have money for it. Not surprising the soundtrack is good if Nobuo Uematsu is the composer.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
Calis
College Starter

I've been curious about this one. There's a lack of good 360 RPG's, as was the problem with MS last gen as well.

I heard mixed reviews so far, but I'll be interested to see what your thoughts are.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
Yellow5
High School Varsity

I'm also interested in this one but the mixed reviews are making me wait a bit before I decide to buy.

I heard the tutorial takes forever, and that the first "boss" battle ramps up the difficulty quite a bit, with people getting pissed and turning off the game.

Would like to hear more of your thoughts on it EF once you've played a bit more.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:45 PM   #5
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow5 View Post
I'm also interested in this one but the mixed reviews are making me wait a bit before I decide to buy.

I heard the tutorial takes forever, and that the first "boss" battle ramps up the difficulty quite a bit, with people getting pissed and turning off the game.

Would like to hear more of your thoughts on it EF once you've played a bit more.

I just finished that first boss about 6-8 hours (I tend to explore slowly) into it (unless you count the boss in the opening scene which I don't think is the one frustrating people.) The first boss wasn't that challenging. I don't want to give away strategies, but I figured out a viable strategy and was never in any real danger of losing that battle, so I'm not sure why it is frustrating people.

As far as my general thoughts on the game as I progress:

- It's fairly linear.

- I like that it prompts you to press the A button to find objects in things rather than having you press A blindly while standing against everything.

- The combat system isn't original, but it's solid. They add a few slight twists to the standard JRPG formula with an aiming ring that is real time and if you time it right you can do additional damage or status ailments depending upon what ring you are wearing.

- Their are front and back lines to the party formation. The front line forms a defensive wall based on their hitpoints that affords a defensive factor to the backline and is critical in protecting weaker characters such as mage types.

- Immortal characters learn their skills from "linking" with mortal characters and can learn anything mortal characters can use (but can only use a few of those skills at any one time.) At first I didn't like this as I thought they could learn too many different things and lose their distinctiveness. However, even though Kaim, the protagonist, can learn White Magic and Black Magic, he doesn't seem particularly proficient at either one.

Overall, the combat system is good, but is not what is keeping me playing this game. The story is excellent so far. The memories that you can unlock of Kaim who has lost his memory are just incredibly emotionally moving and I look forward to finding more of them throughout the game. So far, I've found 4 and while they are text heavy, they also include music and still picture backgrounds that change in subtle ways throughout the story. There is a option to skip over these memories, but those who do are missing out on good stuff, IMHO.

Also, I'm enjoying the main storyline and find it more interesting than most console RPG's I've played recently. Keeping in mind that I'm still early in the game, I'd recommend the game, mainly for the story at this point.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-23-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:40 PM   #6
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Wow thanks for the follow-up. Sounds like it requires a lot of time to get the most out of it. Might have to dip into my bonus money and pick this up.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:26 AM   #7
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I love the storyline so far (4 hours in). It is the most cliched premise possible, but what they have done with it is captivating and VERY well written. I really enjoy all the characters, and I think Jansen is just hilarious.

That first dream actually brought a tear to my eye, and it really pulled me into the story and helped understand why Kaim is the way he is.

Can't wait to keep playing this one.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:34 AM   #8
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I love the storyline so far (4 hours in). It is the most cliched premise possible, but what they have done with it is captivating and VERY well written. I really enjoy all the characters, and I think Jansen is just hilarious.

That first dream actually brought a tear to my eye, and it really pulled me into the story and helped understand why Kaim is the way he is.

Can't wait to keep playing this one.

Almost every one of the dreams has brought a tear to my eye. I feel very sympathetic toward Kaim.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:40 PM   #9
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

As a followup to my post about the 1st boss, I just started what I would call the 2nd boss fight but maybe some were calling the 1st. It is a VERY challenging fight. I've died twice so far. About to give it a 3rd try.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:51 PM   #10
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

The third time was the charm so it certainly wasn't turn it off frustrating for me.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:35 PM   #11
Coop
High School JV

I'm on the third disc and the game is alright. If you're a fan of JRPG you'll love this game. As mentioned before, the short stories are the best part of the game. Some of them are really good. The actual story of the game leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #12
Yellow5
High School Varsity

3rd disc? How big is this game?

I gotta finish earlier purchases (Assassins creed, another play through Mass Effect) before I pick this up.

I like a good story driven game now and then and it sounds like this will fit the bill.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:46 PM   #13
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow5 View Post
3rd disc? How big is this game?

I gotta finish earlier purchases (Assassins creed, another play through Mass Effect) before I pick this up.

I like a good story driven game now and then and it sounds like this will fit the bill.

It is 4 discs.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:24 AM   #14
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm surprised that this game is getting such mixed reviews. Currently averaging a 76 on Metacritic.com (http://www.metacritic.com/games/plat...0/lostodyssey).

Several reviews also mention much the same reaction as EF27 to some of the story elements. I think the length of the game (several complaints of 'too slow' or 'too long') and not a whole lot of innovation in combat seem to be the main factors. A bit of a shame, because both the 360 and PS3 could use a few more good JRPG's.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:27 AM   #15
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'm surprised that this game is getting such mixed reviews. Currently averaging a 76 on Metacritic.com (http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/lostodyssey).

Several reviews also mention much the same reaction as EF27 to some of the story elements. I think the length of the game (several complaints of 'too slow' or 'too long') and not a whole lot of innovation in combat seem to be the main factors. A bit of a shame, because both the 360 and PS3 could use a few more good JRPG's.

I haven't found the pacing to be an issue at all, yet. I'm only about 10 hours in, but I'd say this is a very strong JRPG based on what I've seen of the story (I love the main story so far as well as the short stories) although I agree the combat doesn't have much in the way of innovation.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #16
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I haven't found the pacing to be an issue at all, yet. I'm only about 10 hours in, but I'd say this is a very strong JRPG based on what I've seen of the story (I love the main story so far as well as the short stories) although I agree the combat doesn't have much in the way of innovation.

I personally think the 'lack of innovation in combat' argument doesn't hold that much water in regards to JRPG's. These games may be impressive from a visual perspective, but RPG combat in general has never been groundbreaking, since it's often based on point systems much like the old paper games. If I want innovative combat, a RPG is generally the last place I'd look. In fact, I've found RPG's that are supposedly 'innovative' to be somewhat complicated and a bit more than is needed.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:26 PM   #17
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I just watched the most moving cutscene I've seen in a video game in years. The text memories have brought a tear to my eyes, but I'm not ashamed to say this had me crying. I'm not sure how all of the pieces of this story are going to fit together yet, but I'm looking forward to finding out. They did a really good job with the voice acting in this game, partcularly for these emotional scenes.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:15 PM   #18
Izulde
Head Coach

I picked up this game yesterday, but havent' started playing it yet. Really looking forward to giving it a workout.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:28 PM   #19
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm only about an hour in and am taking my time with the game, but damned if the first short story/dream didn't have me tearing up.

The writing so far is excellent, some of the best I've ever seen in an RPG. I actually had to stop, save and turn off the console to let myself muse some more on the first dream sequence... It's that elegantly and powerfully done.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:51 AM   #20
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I'm about 10 hours in and I swear, this game is trying to kill me. I had tears in my eyes again, this time during one of the CGI sequences of the game.

There's a lot of momentum in the reviews if you have been checking this out. First batch have all been around the 70% mark, and then it changed and it is now being reviewed at 80%. Either the first batch of reviewers didn't actually play the game, or the second batch is swayed by the overwhelmingly positive reviews of the game from the gamers.

I personally think that at the 10 hour mark, this game is personally in the same ballpark as Final Fantasy X.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:25 PM   #21
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Several of the negative reviews mentioned an area where you fall down these "dark holes." I can't believe they were complaining about that. When you enter the area, there is a conversation about the "light bug" that you can carry with you as long as you treat it gently (basically don't run and don't let it get blown away.) I'm not spoilering this, because it is obvious those are the only ways to lose it. If you lose it, you get a new one from several bug stations throughout the area. With the light bug, these holes are very obvious to see and are easily avoided. I didn't fall in any of them.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-09-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #22
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I just bought this game yesterday, but I'm not sure when I'll get around to playing it. I'm looking forward to starting, though.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:29 PM   #23
Phototropic
Mascot

I plan to pick this up but will probably wait a while as I'm still playing a few other games.
Phototropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:04 PM   #24
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I just started playing this yesterday. I love it. I've never played a JRPG before, but I've watched my wife play a few of them. I think I'm doing OK for my first experience with one of these. My only complaint so far is all the loading between areas, but it's not too bad. I like everything else about the game that I've seen.

I really wish I had waited a couple more days before trying to play. I have a job interview on Tuesday morning, and I have an assignment that I have to bring to the interview. I've just barely started on the assignment, but I've put several hours into the game. Not even my favorite sports games take that focus away from my that easily. This is a good game. I'm looking forward to diving back into it later this week.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:01 AM   #25
Phototropic
Mascot

I started playing earlier in the week. I've not played too many JRPGs, but I'm having a lot of fun through the first 9 hours or so. This is more up my alley than some of the other 360 RPGs since it has a good mix of plot, strategy, and difficulty.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:08 PM   #26
fflix
Mascot

Anyone ever end up beating this? I just recently purchased it, but haven't started (still working on gta singleplayer), and was wondering what your final thoughts were on the game/story overall.
fflix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #27
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm close to the end, but was sidetracked by GTA among other things. I've really enjoyed the story, but their are elements of the gameplay that I think could have been done better.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:53 PM   #28
Phototropic
Mascot

I'm nearing the end as well. Other than the lack of save points at times, I'm loving it. One of my favorite 360 games.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:48 AM   #29
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I bought this ages ago used at GS, mostly based on stuff in this thread. I threw it in last night after getting tired of Fable II, I think I'm really going to love this game. Unfortunately I couldn't get very far into it last night as my controller needed to be charged and I couldn't find my spare controllers or any AA batteries. Will be playing more today for sure.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:08 AM   #30
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I bought this ages ago used at GS, mostly based on stuff in this thread. I threw it in last night after getting tired of Fable II, I think I'm really going to love this game. Unfortunately I couldn't get very far into it last night as my controller needed to be charged and I couldn't find my spare controllers or any AA batteries. Will be playing more today for sure.

/tk

My wife always has spare AA batteries in her nightstand drawer. Not sure why.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:51 AM   #31
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
My wife always has spare AA batteries in her nightstand drawer. Not sure why.
Funny, my wife keeps spare batteries in her nightstand drawer, too... but they're 12 volts.