Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-17-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Australia (the movie, not the continent)

OK, clearly I am going to see this once it comes out because, let's be honest, you could strap me in a chair and play Hans Zimmer music for 3 hours and I'd be happy. But I'm really wondering where this movie is going at this point. The first previews I saw had it appear to be basically an outlaw/vigilante western set in the Australian Outback starring Wolverine. Perfect - they've got ranchers, cowboy hats and we won't have to worry why the lead in a period piece is using an Aussie accent.

Unfortunately I just saw a different trailer and I'm very worried. Now we've got Nicole Kidman, the theme from Henry V, and a love story (shades of Pearl Harbor) with some aboriginal kid and the Stolen Generation thrown in for good measure. Then we switch gears again and Hugh Jackman is a pirate? as part of an armada, and then oh my god, those are fighter planes and the Japanese are invading from New Guinea maybe?

Did this have a script editor or a budget? It's either going to be 3 hours+ and the most epic story since the Count of Monte Cristo or a complete trainwreck.

BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Rent the Proposition. Amazing.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:06 PM   #3
Groundhog
Coordinator

We've been getting bombarded with information about this movie the past few months over here. I've only seen one trailer and that was last week, and it actually looked pretty OK. I was dissapointed to see that Baz was forced to change the ending because it didn't test well (it was a sad ending).

Honestly, I have no expectations about this movie but I'm sick of hearing about it. I'll catch it if the reviews are positive - early signs are good, from what I've read in the local papers this morning.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:10 PM   #4
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
OK, clearly I am going to see this once it comes out because, let's be honest, you could strap me in a chair and play Hans Zimmer music for 3 hours and I'd be happy. But I'm really wondering where this movie is going at this point. The first previews I saw had it appear to be basically an outlaw/vigilante western set in the Australian Outback starring Wolverine. Perfect - they've got ranchers, cowboy hats and we won't have to worry why the lead in a period piece is using an Aussie accent.

Unfortunately I just saw a different trailer and I'm very worried. Now we've got Nicole Kidman, the theme from Henry V, and a love story (shades of Pearl Harbor) with some aboriginal kid and the Stolen Generation thrown in for good measure. Then we switch gears again and Hugh Jackman is a pirate? as part of an armada, and then oh my god, those are fighter planes and the Japanese are invading from New Guinea maybe?

Did this have a script editor or a budget? It's either going to be 3 hours+ and the most epic story since the Count of Monte Cristo or a complete trainwreck.

Wow...it's amazing how similar my thoughts are. When I first saw the trailer, I was telling my girlfriend about how epic it looked. Then, a TV spot came on and it was exactly as you described...basically a love story. My girlfriend was like "uhhhh you want to see this?"

Then during football this past week, I see another badass trailer. Looks like they are trying to appeal to everyone.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

It is going to suck unless there are Splosions in it

Although, it can't suck worse than 'The Fountain'
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 11-17-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Now we've got Nicole Kidman, the theme from Henry V, and a love story
Sounds more like a hot dream to me...
Old 11-17-2008, 08:50 PM   #7
SFL Cat
College Starter

Wha...??? Australia is a continent??? I thought it was a state.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:04 PM   #8
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
Wha...??? Australia is a continent??? I thought it was a state.

With all the press we've had re: the American elections these past 12 months, so did I.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:06 PM   #9
SFL Cat
College Starter

Well relax...you've got about six months until the 2012 cycle starts...
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:39 AM   #10
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
Well relax...you've got about six months until the 2012 cycle starts...

If we're lucky....
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote