Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-06-2008, 06:35 AM   #1
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Trademark stuff

I'm writing/recording some original music and my eventual goal is to release it and I want a band name so I started looking at the uspto.gov site and I don't understand what it is telling me. Anyone have any experience with this and have advice/guidance?

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
chesapeake
College Starter

From this, I think you are looking to trademark your band's name? The trademark page on the website is what you want. It also has a link to their free search engine so you can check to see if someone has already trademarked a name for the purposes for which you wish to use it.
hxxp://www.uspto.gov/web/trademarks/workflow/start.htm
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
Flasch186
Coordinator

BTW, after you TM youre going to start getting mail from companies looking to help you do this, that, and the other with your TM for a fee, ie. log it with the interstellar TM registry of xenon and Assoc. which will prevent people from using it in dingeldorf. these are scams. Might as well mail me 50% of their fee, PM me and Ill get you my address.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
JediKooter
Coordinator

If the name of your band is Tonsil Snot, I've already got dibbs on it.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:53 AM   #5
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
If the name of your band is Tonsil Snot, I've already got dibbs on it.

I guess I'll see you in court.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:12 AM   #6
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
BTW, after you TM youre going to start getting mail from companies looking to help you do this, that, and the other with your TM for a fee, ie. log it with the interstellar TM registry of xenon and Assoc. which will prevent people from using it in dingeldorf. these are scams. Might as well mail me 50% of their fee, PM me and Ill get you my address.

All I want to do is my due diligence and nothing more, but I appreciate the heads-up. I'm sure that even a trademark in this day-and-age doesn't mean shit if you have a the right lawyers so this may be wasted money.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #7
chesapeake
College Starter

I am not a lawyer, much less a trademark lawyer, but from what I understand, you trademark a name for specific purposes. So, if you do not apply your Tonsil Snot trademark to clothing, for example, someone else could market Tonsil Snot shirts. Look up "Nirvana" in the TM database if you want to see what I mean. Several entities have trademarked the name for a variety of purposes. Look up something like "Coldplay" to see what a typical band trademarks to protect their rights.

Last edited by chesapeake : 11-07-2008 at 08:37 AM.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:44 AM   #8
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
I'm writing/recording some original music and my eventual goal is to release it and I want a band name so I started looking at the uspto.gov site and I don't understand what it is telling me. Anyone have any experience with this and have advice/guidance?

I was reading in my drummer's mag about this stuff, there are some books you can look into as well.

Though I think you could copyright the stuff under your name.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:45 AM   #9
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

btw since I live in hellertown, when am I seeing the Bonegavel's Traviling All-Star Review? Will you be playing the Funhouse in Bethlehem anytime soon?
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Old 11-09-2008, 02:04 PM   #10
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
I was reading in my drummer's mag about this stuff, there are some books you can look into as well.

Though I think you could copyright the stuff under your name.

I am copyrighting under my own name. I just want to have some wacky band name that is mine and mine alone.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:13 PM   #11
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
btw since I live in hellertown, when am I seeing the Bonegavel's Traviling All-Star Review? Will you be playing the Funhouse in Bethlehem anytime soon?

I'm working on joining a band (so far responses have been SCARY!) and I'll let you know if I do. I need to make some money at music to help pay off some of the equipment. Makes it easier to swallow for the old lady. (That last sentence has so much potential.)

Work has been killing me (as far as hours) and I'm really trying to catch a lot of the local bands around here but time isn't my friend.

I'm dying to release my home-grown tunes and see what people think. Of all my duties, my singing is the weakest by far but what can I do? Any guys out there that can carry a tune living in the lehigh valley looking to sing my songs for free?

Old 11-10-2008, 12:53 PM   #12
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
I guess I'll see you in court.

Dang It!!! It's always something...

On a serious note: What are you using to record? What style is your music?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 11-11-2008, 11:00 AM   #13
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm working on joining a band (so far responses have been SCARY!) and I'll let you know if I do. I need to make some money at music to help pay off some of the equipment. Makes it easier to swallow for the old lady. (That last sentence has so much potential.)

Work has been killing me (as far as hours) and I'm really trying to catch a lot of the local bands around here but time isn't my friend.

I'm dying to release my home-grown tunes and see what people think. Of all my duties, my singing is the weakest by far but what can I do? Any guys out there that can carry a tune living in the lehigh valley looking to sing my songs for free?

I don't sing unless you want to hear something worse than Tom Waits, I do drum and guitar, I have decided to tackle bass at some point so I can be mediocre at all three things most bands need.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:15 AM   #14
Bonegavel

Quote:
Dang It!!! It's always something...

On a serious note: What are you using to record? What style is your music?

I carve a bit of a swath in the style area. Most of the songs are Drums, Bass, Guitar (acoustic/electric), Vocals all of which are me. I've recently added a keyboard to the mix and it has led me in new directions.

Most of my stuff is what I consider rock, but my niece (21ish) said I had an indie sound - whatever that means these days.

I have piano-centric pieces that would sound at home in a Sims game, I have a few things that are heavy like STP, something that sounds Bare naked ladies-ish, something like floyd (which I don't like btw), and others that I hope are just me

Old 11-13-2008, 01:20 PM   #15
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
I carve a bit of a swath in the style area. Most of the songs are Drums, Bass, Guitar (acoustic/electric), Vocals all of which are me. I've recently added a keyboard to the mix and it has led me in new directions.

Most of my stuff is what I consider rock, but my niece (21ish) said I had an indie sound - whatever that means these days.

I have piano-centric pieces that would sound at home in a Sims game, I have a few things that are heavy like STP, something that sounds Bare naked ladies-ish, something like floyd (which I don't like btw), and others that I hope are just me

Ah very nice. I play bass and guitar and like to lay down a track or two whenever I come up with something. I use a drum machine because I only know how to play one beat on drums, haha.

Been recording for about 13/14 years now. Started with two portable radios that had a built in mic and casset players, then when to a little 4 track tascam, now I have an 8 track tascam that I hardly use because of work.

You record your stuff to the computer (Layla, etc...) or do you put it on DAT or CD?

Old 11-13-2008, 06:04 PM   #16
Bonegavel

Quote:
Ah very nice. I play bass and guitar and like to lay down a track or two whenever I come up with something. I use a drum machine because I only know how to play one beat on drums, haha.

Been recording for about 13/14 years now. Started with two portable radios that had a built in mic and casset players, then when to a little 4 track tascam, now I have an 8 track tascam that I hardly use because of work.

You record your stuff to the computer (Layla, etc...) or do you put it on DAT or CD?

I use a Line6 Pod X3 Live which I USB into the PC (it acts as the PC sound card). I have a mixer that goes into the Aux of the Line 6 and allows me to record my drums (4-5 mics). I've created a preset that has no effects on it so the drums are relatively clean (I say relatively because there is some noise at times). The Pod is the key, however, since there would otherwise be lag - the enemy of PC recording. I plug my keyboard into the mixer as well. I record the vocals through the Pod since it has a bunch of vocal presets that I like.

I then use ACID on the PC to record each track and create mp3s which I then burn to a CD (which, believe it or not, is easier for my car setup).

Nice little setup.
Attached Files
File Type: zip llm.zip (1.32 MB, 3 views)

Last edited by Bonegavel : 11-13-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:44 PM   #17
Bonegavel

I just quickly recorded the first verse or so of Livin Lovin Maid to give you an idea of what my setup sounds like. Yes, my voice sucks monster sized ass balls but I only have what I have. I'm not very good but I'm using that as part of my sound - rough around the edges but fun (hopefully) to listen to.

(it's the zip attachment in the last post)

Last edited by Bonegavel : 11-13-2008 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:58 AM   #18
JediKooter
Coordinator

Just listened to it. You should be singing some Hendrix man. Can't go wrong with Zep though. How Many More Times is one of my favorites to play.

I like how clean it sounded. I couldn't hear any hissing or popping. The biggest problem I have with my Tascam is the dang hiss.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:03 AM   #19
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
I use a Line6 Pod X3 Live which I USB into the PC (it acts as the PC sound card). I have a mixer that goes into the Aux of the Line 6 and allows me to record my drums (4-5 mics). I've created a preset that has no effects on it so the drums are relatively clean (I say relatively because there is some noise at times). The Pod is the key, however, since there would otherwise be lag - the enemy of PC recording. I plug my keyboard into the mixer as well. I record the vocals through the Pod since it has a bunch of vocal presets that I like.

I then use ACID on the PC to record each track and create mp3s which I then burn to a CD (which, believe it or not, is easier for my car setup).

Nice little setup.

Sounds like a good set up you got there. How do you like ACID? I've used Cuebase before, but, never got too deep into it. Seemed like you could really get some nice recordings out of it if you put the time into learning it.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:53 AM   #20
Bonegavel

Quote:
Sounds like a good set up you got there. How do you like ACID? I've used Cuebase before, but, never got too deep into it. Seemed like you could really get some nice recordings out of it if you put the time into learning it.

Acid gets the job done. It is real easy to use and I like that. I have Cubase4 (from the keyboard purchase) and it doesn't seem to do more/better than Acid6 though I admittedly have only used it briefly. The only good thing about Cubase is that I think I can use VST plugins with it (most notably Melodyne plugin).

Acid lets me quickly record and easily export to mp3 or whatever. Acid's effects are kind of crappy, but for demo purposes it is super.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:25 PM   #21
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Acid gets the job done. It is real easy to use and I like that. I have Cubase4 (from the keyboard purchase) and it doesn't seem to do more/better than Acid6 though I admittedly have only used it briefly. The only good thing about Cubase is that I think I can use VST plugins with it (most notably Melodyne plugin).

Acid lets me quickly record and easily export to mp3 or whatever. Acid's effects are kind of crappy, but for demo purposes it is super.

I have to say, easy is better when it comes to recording. I just don't want to have to fight with a bunch of settings to get going. I think that's why I've just stuck with my Tascam.

What does the file size end up being with all the tracks before it's converted to mp3?

My dad has a bunch of the VST plugins for Cuebase and some sound really really good. He does mostly country music, but, I really like how the tracks sound, CD quality. He also put a lot of money into his setup, so, I'm sure that helped.

Looking forward to hearing some more of your work.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:22 PM   #22
Bonegavel

Quote:
I have to say, easy is better when it comes to recording. I just don't want to have to fight with a bunch of settings to get going. I think that's why I've just stuck with my Tascam.

What does the file size end up being with all the tracks before it's converted to mp3?

My dad has a bunch of the VST plugins for Cuebase and some sound really really good. He does mostly country music, but, I really like how the tracks sound, CD quality. He also put a lot of money into his setup, so, I'm sure that helped.

Looking forward to hearing some more of your work.

The wav files that are created are, as you'd guess, absolutely gigantic. My tracks aren't much longer than 2 - 3 minutes each and they can be upwards of 40MBs each.

The thing that sucks with ACID is it doesn't auto-delete the unused tracks. So if you do 5-7 takes per track and don't go in and manually clean up you can see how a 4 track song can grow to a gig without much trouble. I have pretty much left them all there since space is cheap, but I'm up around 20 songs now so back-ups are becoming fun.

Once I upload my stuff to the copyright office and get the confirmation, I'm going to unleash them upon the masses.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:45 PM   #23
Bonegavel

Quote:
I like how clean it sounded. I couldn't hear any hissing or popping. The biggest problem I have with my Tascam is the dang hiss.

The drums usually sound better - i need to tune the snare a bit. The noise isn't too bad and is mainly hidden by everything else.

Since I hear all the intros and outros (where the silence is deafening) I hear all the pops and hisses and the de-humidifier kicking on or my daughter screaming down the stairs. Nothing like a basement recording area (can't call what I have a studio). I think noise is common in even pro setups - the trick is hiding it behind the music.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:54 PM   #24
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Any guys out there

that can carry a tune

living in the lehigh valley

looking to sing my songs for free?

Yes

Yes

No

Not forever
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:57 PM   #25
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Yes

Yes

No

Not forever

Buffalo may as well be the north pole

Any samples of your singing?

Old 11-17-2008, 04:04 PM   #26
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Buffalo may as well be the north pole

Any samples of your singing?

Nothing recorded. I've never had a clue how to go about such things.

I've sung in numerous musicals, and spent 2 years in a Northern PA (Wellsboro area) Christmas singers choir. I'm not going to hit any high c's but I can carry a tune well enough.

Telle likes my voice, isn't that enough?
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote