Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-31-2008, 08:27 PM   #51
Cork
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Work it Cork. Don't let 'em get you down.

On a side note though, I disagree with you completely.

I think I am pretty much done here. I have no problem admitting when I am wrong, none at all. My memory of the Civ 2 graphics proved to be better than they are in real life. The SMAC graphics, while still not to my liking, are clearly better. Since Civ 2 was released 3 years earlier, it doesn't really surprise me at all. What surprises me is that my memory must be fading. I guess at 46, the mind must start going.

Oh well, I've got some beta testing to get ready for. That will keep me out of further trouble.

-Cork

Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:37 PM   #52
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
I've never played Pirates! but I see that it is available on the X-Box Live, has this game held up well? If so, I'll give it a shot.

I think this is the one from a couple of years ago, not the original. If you've never played either version, it is probably worth picking up. You'll get at least $10 worth of play out of it.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:55 PM   #53
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64
FWIW, I now enjoy CIV 4 but did not initially.

I thought the game was another disappointment and didn't play it for over a year before Beyond the Sword came out and restored the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
I like most Sid Meier games, they are usually top notch. I'd have to say SMAC is my favorite of the Civ games though, even while playing Civ 4, which is very good, I'm constantly seeing features that I wish they had imported from SMAC. It's not just great because of the excellent sci-fi theme but because of many excellent features that have not really been used in other games.

Unit designer and the ability to build mountains and change regional weather patterns in for the late-game in Civ 5 please. Or just make a SMAC 2. I need to look for my CD...
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:57 PM   #54
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I think this is the one from a couple of years ago, not the original. If you've never played either version, it is probably worth picking up. You'll get at least $10 worth of play out of it.

Thanks Cartman, I think I'll pick this up this week. It sounds awesome.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:12 PM   #55
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I had to struggle and learn not to build-build-build first chance I got

And that's one of the main reasons I think CivIV is better than CivIII or CivII. It is more than just building as fast as you can and sending a massive army to annihilate everyone. In CivIV if you try to build too fast, you get slammed down.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:19 AM   #56
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Unit designer and the ability to build mountains and change regional weather patterns in for the late-game in Civ 5 please. Or just make a SMAC 2. I need to look for my CD...

Agreed - plus some things that were imported from SMAC to Civ 4 - like the Apostolic Palace/UN and having resolutions to vote on, aren't nearly as good as their SMAC incarnations. Give us the ability to make deals to bribe people to vote for our side, please! And let us decide when to present the resolutions, don't just have them pop up at random intervals.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:39 PM   #57
Edward64
Head Coach

Just reinstalled Pirates this weeked on a reformatted computer. My son and I have picked it up again, playing separate games.

Although I have beaten it several times (at Rogue level), it is still entertaining.

The replay value would be out the roof with ability for modding, more variety/randomness on cut scenes, named pirates, quests etc. Great as it is, I wish there 'more'.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:10 AM   #58
saldana
Pro Starter

anyone know how to get SMAC to run on newer computers. both my HP desktop and my Dell laptop let me install it and then give me an error when i try to play that says the game is incompatible with my chipset.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #59
billethius
Mascot

There's a win2000/xp patch available from the Firaxis website. Give that a try.
billethius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:30 PM   #60
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
The thing about Sid's games, which I have been playing since 1990, is that he has some of the best games of all time but also some real clunkers or disappointments.

For example, here's what I think are some of the greatest games of all time:
CivIV (greatest game of all time)
CivII (2nd " ")
Pirates!/Pirates! Gold (3rd " ")
Railroad Tycoon 1 (4th " ")

But here are some of the games that I found unplayable (or un-replayable):
Gettysburg/Antietam (awful games, should've been right up my alley)
Sid Meier's Pirates (lots of fun to play exactly once)
SimGolf (somewhat fun to had played once for a few hours)
Sid Meier's Railroad (heard it was unplayable)
CivIII (but I don't think he had much to do with that)

Other games:
Colonization (I know it was a popular game but I still feel that Conquest of the New World blew that out of the water)
CivI (didn't play)

Our top 2 are identical. Civ IV has to be the most addictive, best game I've ever played. New games come and go but that one always finds its way back into the hard drive.
Civ2 was probably my longest played game. My dad still plays it, he has never found a game he likes enough to replace it.

I'm really enjoying Colonization as well. It's a fun game. Maybe not as deep as CivIV, but it's still something that seems to suck me in for hours.

I hate playing Sid's stuff during the work week because I never get the sleep I need to get!!!
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote