Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-19-2008, 05:21 PM   #251
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
I think I've got a nominee for the Pontiac Game-Changing performance this week: A really nice hit by the Ref on the South Carolina QB. It's rare that you see an official step up and make a big play like this.

The same ref earlier took out an LSU defender going up against a TE on a crossing route, leading to a big gain. (Maybe this take down was a makeup hit? )
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:31 PM   #252
MacroGuru
Coordinator

LOL!!

It was a flashback! He was back in high school, college...something...that is just awesome...
Old 10-19-2008, 07:00 PM   #253
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I think I saw that live and it didn't look as bad as it does on replay. Or else I just wasn't paying as much attention to any replays at the time.

But it is completely blantant. That's not only a firing, there needs to be a gambling investigation in that one. Holy Cow!
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:06 PM   #254
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
But it is completely blantant. That's not only a firing, there needs to be a gambling investigation in that one. Holy Cow!

Wow.. no doubt!

Refereeing has really gone in the toliet lately.. or maybe I'm just noticing it more.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:14 PM   #255
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Wow.. no doubt!

Refereeing has really gone in the toliet lately.. or maybe I'm just noticing it more.

Nope. It's just we have much more access to everything, 24 hours a day. Everything gets broadcasted, scrutinized and replayed to a far greater extent than ever before.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:21 PM   #256
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Nope. It's just we have much more access to everything, 24 hours a day. Everything gets broadcasted, scrutinized and replayed to a far greater extent than ever before.

Exactly. You all get the best angles to see thing. Go down on field level and make split second decision and then tell me it's not a tough job.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:00 PM   #257
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
I think I've got a nominee for the Pontiac Game-Changing performance this week: A really nice hit by the Ref on the South Carolina QB. It's rare that you see an official step up and make a big play like this.

I know it's not, but it just looks so photoshopped.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:21 PM   #258
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yeah it looks like one of those Nike or whatever it was commercials where they altered all those historic sports moments to end the opposite way. Definitely this version has that vibe to it.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:40 AM   #259
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post

I'm sure you're right.. I also think the stakes are much higher nowdays and chances for corruption are much higher.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:00 AM   #260
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
wow what a tough day.
Clemson managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory yet again. Two tough calls (the running into kicker, and the holding) that at least on the jumbo screen looked iffy at best (the hold; we definitely rolled into a kicker who still had his leg in the air when the punt was caught)....exciting day for the young coach though.

Then things got interesting. A minor scuffle broke out behind us in the stands, I stepped in to try and restore peace (honestly it was all caused by a drunk GT fan being obnoxious, but a fellow CU fan threw a fairly quick punch) well some other GT fan from 2 rows above decides to come up and dump a coke on my 5 year old daughters head.
Like yells at me, "Wanna get involved, how you like this?" and dumps a full coke on my now screaming daughters head. She promptly kicked him in the leg, but I was not so polite. That ended with a short conversation with the police and probably need to get my hand stitched up.... Random GT idiot will be taken to jail, after he leaves medical attention I am told.

I probably need to just hush until I speak with my atty.

But all in all Clemsosn D looked good, and our O was a bit different, but we still cant block anyone. Wheen PJ gets HIS players, that O will probably be tough to stop.

Really sorry to hear about the stands skirmish. That's unacceptable. I suppose every school has their idiots, but wow. Sorry.

I finally got to watch the game last night.

I didn't think the hold was a bad call (the running into the kicker was worse). At the very least, the hold was sort of a lifetime achievement penalty, as I think that was the first (or second--maybe there was one called on Ford early in the game) hold called and I saw multiple occasions where #93 and #91 were impeded in their progress toward the quarterback.

Clemson's defense was impressive. The speed up front is great. I thought the Clemson offense was much better once they settled into a more traditional set. Harper clearly wasn't the problem.

I think Johnson has the skill kids that he needs right now. Dwyer is a horse and Nesbitt will be very, very good. The problem is that the interior of the offensive line is just a mess.

Anyhow, good luck to Clemson the rest of the season.

And for Radii, JIMGA and the other GT fans, I actually think Tech will be favored in every ACC game the rest of the season. Has to be one game at a time. College Football News has pretty spot on analysis. The team is good enough, because of the defense, to win every game the rest of the way (even Georgia), but the offense is giving so little margin for error right now that no game is a sure thing.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:21 AM   #261
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The Georgia Tech fan must have been from Philadelphia
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:22 AM   #262
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

HAHAHA
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:32 AM   #263
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Old 10-20-2008, 11:52 AM   #264
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I probably need to just hush until I speak with my atty.

Ugh, sorry to hear this. Every school has it's (typically drunken) cretins.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:54 PM   #265
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post

I would have just never expected it of Tech fans. Next, we'll hear about the brawl caused by the Vandy fans at UGA.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:30 PM   #266
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Yeah it looks like one of those Nike or whatever it was commercials where they altered all those historic sports moments to end the opposite way. Definitely this version has that vibe to it.

It looks exactly like the third base ump tracking Youkilis to make sure he couldn't get to the foul ball last night

But did the ref really throw a forearm shiver at the QB. That's the part that makes me wonder. Did he really track along the path of the QB and then throw a shiver at him? It really does look like a LB got 'shopped.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:07 PM   #267
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I would have just never expected it of Tech fans. Next, we'll hear about the brawl caused by the Vandy fans at UGA.

I think Vandy is more creative than that. They just hung around town after the game to get a backup DL liquored up

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-20-2008 at 03:07 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:26 PM   #268
GrantDawg

Quote:
I think Vandy is more creative than that. They just hung around town after the game to get a backup DL liquored up

Yes. A brilliant plan that worked well.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:39 PM   #269
molson
General Manager

Rule #1 of attending sports events: Don't get involved in skirmishes, even as "peacemaker".

I was at the World Series last year in Denver when there was shenianigans 10 feet from me. I jumped down about 10 rows as not to risk getting kicked out of there (there's no way security can sort things out properly - they'll err on the side of ejecting anyone even remotely involved).

Last edited by molson : 10-20-2008 at 03:40 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:29 PM   #270
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I think that ref in the South Carolina game was just auditioning for the next Buffalo Wild Wings commercial.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:11 AM   #271
JeeberD
General Manager

Apparently the ref was a linebacker in college. Flashback? Instincts?

ESPN - Spurrier, SEC clear official in collision with South Carolina QB Garcia - College Football

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #272
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Rule #1 of attending sports events: Don't get involved in skirmishes, even as "peacemaker".

I was at the World Series last year in Denver when there was shenianigans 10 feet from me. I jumped down about 10 rows as not to risk getting kicked out of there (there's no way security can sort things out properly - they'll err on the side of ejecting anyone even remotely involved).

Rule #2 is fast approaching "don't bring the family". I've had good and bad experiences. I think I could take my kids to a Carolina Hurricanes game, as long as Buffalo wasn't playing. I've seen some very good-natured opposing fans even at playoff games, but the Buffalo fans weren't very good-natured. But hockey in this area is a largely family affair with LOTS of parents there with kids, which seems to help temper the atmosphere and keep it from getting too wild.

My brother took his family to last year's Indy/Pats game, and won't ever take them to another NFL game again, at least not until they are in college or something.

I felt okay at the Carolina Cobras Arena League games, but I don't know if I'd felt comfortable with my kids there.

Minor league baseball has seemed cool. Durham Bulls and Carolina Mudcats games are pretty nice family events.

But with all the drinking and the problems that generally leads to, I'd be nervous taking my kids to any sort of professional or college event until they hit high school or so. I'd be too afraid of hitting what CU Tiger ran into. I don't care what's going on, there is NO reason to dump a drink on a small kid's head. That's completely unacceptable.

Last edited by gstelmack : 10-21-2008 at 02:28 PM.
gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:37 PM   #273
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Rule #2 is fast approaching "don't bring the family". I've had good and bad experiences. I think I could take my kids to a Carolina Hurricanes game, as long as Buffalo wasn't playing. I've seen some very good-natured opposing fans even at playoff games, but the Buffalo fans weren't very good-natured. But hockey in this area is a largely family affair with LOTS of parents there with kids, which seems to help temper the atmosphere and keep it from getting too wild.

Major college sports is rapidly reaching that point in my experience, the better the game the worse the problem as a general rule. I know even die-hard 3rd generation UGA people who have stopped going to game because, in his words "it's not fit for women nor children" and the worse behavior comes from the older crowd not the students. I've run into significant problems at both women's college basketball & college baseball games (both of which led to security/police involvement).

Pro sports seem to be a mixed bag around here. Hockey environment is okay, baseball & football have the most drunks, minor league hockey is still mostly okay as long as you overlook the few random drunks (good security in the building helps with that).
Old 10-21-2008, 09:04 PM   #274
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Really sorry to hear about the stands skirmish. That's unacceptable. I suppose every school has their idiots, but wow. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
The Georgia Tech fan must have been from Philadelphia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

Ok,
So yesterday I was served papers from the GT fans attny(dont think he was looking for a wuick buck do ya? and BTW they have the same last name, daddy please) ; I promptly supplied the video tape of the event to my attorney and today all charges have been dropped and a formal written apology issued along with a check for my daughters cheerleading outfit.

looks like this deal will blow over,
For the "dont get involved" crowd, the skirmish was between an apparent GT student and a member of the Clemson '59 team who has been sitting behind us for 5 years. It was 20 on 70......and the 5'9" 170lb 28 year old that decided to dump a drink on the 6'2" 275lb guy's kid's head probably should have thought before he acted. I only hit the guy 2 times; apparently that was enough.

Quote:

My brother took his family to last year's Indy/Pats game, and won't ever take them to another NFL game again, at least not until they are in college or something.

I felt okay at the Carolina Cobras Arena League games, but I don't know if I'd felt comfortable with my kids there.

Minor league baseball has seemed cool. Durham Bulls and Carolina Mudcats games are pretty nice family events.

But with all the drinking and the problems that generally leads to, I'd be nervous taking my kids to any sort of professional or college event until they hit high school or so. I'd be too afraid of hitting what CU Tiger ran into. I don't care what's going on, there is NO reason to dump a drink on a small kid's head. That's completely unacceptable.

Quote:
Major college sports is rapidly reaching that point in my experience, the better the game the worse the problem as a general rule. I know even die-hard 3rd generation UGA people who have stopped going to game because, in his words "it's not fit for women nor children" and the worse behavior comes from the older crowd not the students. I've run into significant problems at both women's college basketball & college baseball games (both of which led to security/police involvement).

Pro sports seem to be a mixed bag around here. Hockey environment is okay, baseball & football have the most drunks, minor league hockey is still mostly okay as long as you overlook the few random drunks (good security in the building helps with that).

These 2 sentiments are sadly true.
I pay well (8k in 6 seats) to sit amongst our own and it has been a while since I have had to deal with opposing fans, but with the direction of this season a number of vets have decided to cash out while they can. I was appalled at the behavior of this kid attacking a senior; but even more so at an unrelated adult dumping a drink on a 5 year old kids head....In hind sight I honestly wish I had killed the SOB...he deserved it. As it was Im not sure he will soon forget the GT win of 08...but he doeesnt deserve oxygen.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:11 PM   #275
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

you're 6'2''?
Old 10-21-2008, 09:15 PM   #276
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Cheers CU....I would have had to have been pulled of the guy, with my foot being surgically removed from his ass...
Old 10-21-2008, 09:50 PM   #277
Logan
Head Coach

Did I miss it, or have we not yet heard from someone on that ass-raping handed out by the Big XII's 2nd (or was it 3rd?) best team this past weekend?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:35 PM   #278
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Rule #2 is fast approaching "don't bring the family"....with all the drinking and the problems that generally leads to, I'd be nervous taking my kids to any sort of professional or college event until they hit high school or so. I'd be too afraid of hitting what CU Tiger ran into. I don't care what's going on, there is NO reason to dump a drink on a small kid's head. That's completely unacceptable.

I've had many of these same thoughts and concerns. I've considered going to a Canes or Wolfpack game and bringing along my oldest daughter, but I've decided against it simply because I didn't want to deal with issues surrounding obnoxious fans (granted, as you note, may not be as much of an issue with our local teams, but my luck would give me the one idiot in thousands right next to me).
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:13 PM   #279
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
you're 6'2''?

ish....
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote