Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-27-2007, 09:53 AM   #251
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
This is a good point. We ought to make it a rule that whenever a reviewer prints or posts a review, we get to see their top-5 rated games and bottom-5 rated games.

i haven't ever read an entire review of his, but it just seems like he focuses on the shortcomings of every game, as if he's holding them to this unattainable standard of perfection. if 95% of the people in this thread say this game is awesome and a worthy alternative to Madden in some cases, and he says it's good but mostly "meh" then maybe it's him who needs to recalibrate his expectations.

if all you read from someone is "this game is crap", "that game is crap" then i just want to know what game(s) exactly fully meets his standards. if he says "no game does", then it's obvious he enjoys being like jb and spoiling the fun for everybody.

Last edited by Anthony : 07-27-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:59 AM   #252
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
if all you read from someone is "this game is crap", "that game is crap" then i just want to know what game(s) exactly fully meets his standards. if he says "no game does", then it's obvious he enjoys being like jb and spoiling the fun for everybody.
Ah, yes, I believe that this touches on why I want to hit Bill Harris with a brick.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:26 AM   #253
flounder
High School Varsity

You just have to scroll down a bit on Bill Harris' website to get to this post.

Quote:

Just for reference purposes, here is a list of the football games I considered great in their time:
TV Sports Football (Cinemaware, Amiga, 1988).
Front Page Sports: Football (Sierra, PC, 1992)
Front Page Sports: Football Pro (Sierra, PC, 1993)
NFL Gameday (989 Sports, Playstation, 1995)
NFL 2K1 (Sega, Dreamcast, 2000)
ESPN NFL 2K5 (Visual Concepts, Xbox, 2005)

Tecmo Super Bowl isn't on the the list because it was far less of a simulation (although it was really fun).
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 03:47 PM   #254
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

There's only 1 poster here that I can think of that bows down to his every word and I think we all know who that is.

I take his reviews like all reviews.. with a grain of salt. If I'm on the fence, he might help me deside to wait on a price drop or rental as I think he does have similar tastes in games that I do.

I know the short comings of APF and after playing the demo, it's just too much fun for me to pass up. In fact, I'm not getting Madden on release day.. I'll wait a bit since this game is going to take most of time for awhile.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:30 PM   #255
Phototropic
Mascot

I'm not sure if anyone is confusing Bill Harris with Bill Abner, but Harris has said both football games might be good enough to sit aside his top 6 (unless something has changed since last week).
Phototropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:03 PM   #256
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phototropic View Post
I'm not sure if anyone is confusing Bill Harris with Bill Abner, but Harris has said both football games might be good enough to sit aside his top 6 (unless something has changed since last week).
I can assure you that I'm not. I like Bill Abner. I want to hit Bill Harris with a brick.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:55 PM   #257
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm really glad I bought this game. Sure it doesn't have a franchise mode, but the games are so much fun and I love re-living football past.

You can definitly tell who's who.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:25 PM   #258
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

"When you've got a competitor like Take-Two on the sports side, and they launch a football title using some of the industry legends, you want to make sure that ends up being a blip and is not repeatable, because we like to defend our franchises aggressively."

- EA CEO John Riccitiello

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=14871

Heh, an exclusive NFL license isn't enough it seems. Maybe they'll sign every former player ever before next summer.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:48 PM   #259
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
"When you've got a competitor like Take-Two on the sports side, and they launch a football title using some of the industry legends, you want to make sure that ends up being a blip and is not repeatable, because we like to defend our franchises aggressively."

- EA CEO John Riccitiello

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=14871

Heh, an exclusive NFL license isn't enough it seems. Maybe they'll sign every former player ever before next summer.

Yeah, eliminate all competition. Sometimes EA really pisses me off.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:03 AM   #260
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The game hasn't sold well (between 100k and 150k in sales so far) and Take Two has released some comments that basically say they "aren't pleased but they aren't disappointed either." They also mentioned they will be doing something before Madden comes out. My guess is a price drop. So, if anyone is thinking about picking this up still, you might want to wait another week or two. If it dropped to 20, I'd give it a shot despite the scant number of play modes.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:12 AM   #261
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
The game hasn't sold well (between 100k and 150k in sales so far) and Take Two has released some comments that basically say they "aren't pleased but they aren't disappointed either." They also mentioned they will be doing something before Madden comes out. My guess is a price drop. So, if anyone is thinking about picking this up still, you might want to wait another week or two. If it dropped to 20, I'd give it a shot despite the scant number of play modes.

I'd buy it without hesitation for $30 or less.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:57 AM   #262
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'd buy it without hesitation for $30 or less.

Agreed. It's not that I'm not interested in the game, I just dont' want to spend a bunch of money on it. FWIW, I wouldn't buy Madden for $60 either.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:33 PM   #263
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Rumor has it that its down to $40 at Fry's for XBOX 360. I played my 1st online game last night and won 28-23, he returned the opening kickoff the distance only to have me challenge the play. The replay showed he stepped out of bounds at the 50. From there I was in control, he scored later to get it to 5.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:20 PM   #264
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Shoot, if I could find it for $40 around here I might jump.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:42 PM   #265
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I'm not sure how Best Buy's price matching works but here is an add for $39.99

Could be worth a shot.

http://shopping.dallasnews.com/ROP/a...17102069&type=
Old 08-04-2007, 04:47 PM   #266
TroyF
Coordinator

Haven't played the game for a couple of weeks, but I was still liking it when I left.

As for the reviewers. . . I really like Bill Harris. I think he's dead on most of the time. But I take his word at face value too. He has his opinions and sometimes they are wrong. I respect Mizzou's take on sports games and think he's ridiculously far off base with the "NHL '07 is the best sports game of last year" talk. I didn't find it to be the best HOCKEY game, much less game of the year.

Still, when a sports game comes , I'll still read his take on it with interest. Ditto with Bill Harris. He has some takes I agree with and some I don't. Overall, I think we are on the same wavelength most of the time.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:59 AM   #267
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Haven't played the game for a couple of weeks, but I was still liking it when I left.

As for the reviewers. . . I really like Bill Harris. I think he's dead on most of the time. But I take his word at face value too. He has his opinions and sometimes they are wrong. I respect Mizzou's take on sports games and think he's ridiculously far off base with the "NHL '07 is the best sports game of last year" talk. I didn't find it to be the best HOCKEY game, much less game of the year.

Still, when a sports game comes , I'll still read his take on it with interest. Ditto with Bill Harris. He has some takes I agree with and some I don't. Overall, I think we are on the same wavelength most of the time.

Ditto for you and EaglesFan27's reviews on sports.. well, just about any game for that matter. My biggest gripe about NHL 07 was the framerate and that will be double this year!

I'm liking APF for what it is, a fun football game without all the dynasty features. It's definitly engrossing and at times downright immersive, drawing me into it's gameplay like NFL 2k5 did a few years ago. What I really like about it is going over to my neighbor's house and getting a few games in.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:39 PM   #268
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

This website which is fansite of All Pro Football 2k8 has strongly implied/stated that there will be a new version of the game released this year. Hopefully, they will have some form of franchise mode as they have acknowledged in at least one interview that the lack of a franchise mode was a mistake. Here is the thread where the mods over there mention that they have been told that at this time development on 2k9 is ongoing:

http://www.2kfootballstrategy.com/mo...iewtopic&t=860

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-20-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:48 PM   #269
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Franchise mode and a focus on customization if they're smart.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:27 PM   #270
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Franchise mode and a focus on customization if they're smart.

Yup, forget about the old glories and offer fully customization instead, then somebody will come with a NFL based mod to make all the NFL fans happy.

That is exactly what Pro Evolution soccer (Winning Eleven in USA) does with soccer. PES includes an uniform editor, a logo editor etc, so there are tons of mods to have the real teams while they save a ton on licenses unlike EA does with their FIFA series.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:16 PM   #271
Groundhog
Coordinator

I think 2K needs to sit down and think about what EA can't do with their Madden series, and design their title based on that. The NFL license may ensure folks will shell out dosh for the Madden title, but it also does limit EA some-what in what they can put in the title.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:30 PM   #272
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I think 2K needs to sit down and think about what EA can't do with their Madden series, and design their title based on that. The NFL license may ensure folks will shell out dosh for the Madden title, but it also does limit EA some-what in what they can put in the title.

If 2k develops a great game, with a terrific franchise mode, they should try and pounce when the NCAA license comes up against.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:31 PM   #273
Galaxy
Coordinator

How did the game sell last year?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:37 PM   #274
Groundhog
Coordinator

Poorly.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #275
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I enjoyed 2K8 a lot but it got old just play exhibition games, though it did play great online.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:22 PM   #276
wade moore
lolzcat

I keep eyeing 2k8 at 17.99 used at Gamestop, but I may hold out to see if a new version with franchise comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:42 PM   #277
stevew
Hall Of Famer

it was a fun game to play head2head with friends, but for single player it's questionable. I might pick it up used though, rented it for like a month last year.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:11 AM   #278
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Poorly.

Very poorly. Which is why I thought there might not be a 2k9, I'm glad to read something that indicates there will be.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:04 AM   #279
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I keep eyeing 2k8 at 17.99 used at Gamestop, but I may hold out to see if a new version with franchise comes out.

Every few weeks it comes up for sale for $9.99 at a store or site. It's honestly a very good buy for $10. The gameplay is good, but it just doesn't have the long term appeal without franchise mode. At $10, I wouldn't pass it up.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:10 AM   #280
Balldog
Pro Rookie

If 2k9 offers full customization and a franchise mode it will sell 3-5 times what 2k8 did. It'll never come close to catching Madden.

The Legends idea was cool but it just limits the game to season mode and exhibition IMO.

I can about imagine how users could create old time leagues, current leagues, all time leagues, etc. Replay value would shoot through the roof!
Old 10-14-2008, 08:16 AM   #281
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

FYI - AP Football 2k8 is $5.99 at Best Buy
Old 10-14-2008, 08:20 AM   #282
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
FYI - AP Football 2k8 is $5.99 at Best Buy

I've always avoided it due to the lack of career mode, but I need to swing by Best Buy and see if they have any copies left.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:26 AM   #283
Kodos
Resident Alien

Dang. I thought there was news of a new game or something...
Old 10-14-2008, 08:53 AM   #284
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I've always avoided it due to the lack of career mode, but I need to swing by Best Buy and see if they have any copies left.

I saw many of them yesterday when I picked up Rock Band 2.. I picked up a copy for my neighbor as I already have it and still play it on occasions.