Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-16-2008, 11:04 AM   #1
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Of all the jerseys in all the world...

As I was driving to work this morning, I passed by a guy standing on the sidewalk. He was wearing a Danny Fortson University of Cincinnati jersey. Of all people, Danny Fortson? Hell, I understand that the guy probably didn't put any real thought into it when he put it on this morning. I bet he just picked something out of his closet and wore it. I get that. Still, I found it to be a strange sight in Pittsburgh in 2008.

I know I take this stuff too seriously, because if I had a Danny Fortson UC jersey, I would've retired it years ago. I might keep it, but I wouldn't wear it in public. Now I'm trying to think of other jerseys that might give me the same reaction. A Kevin Elster Mets jersey? A Karl Williams Buccaneers jersey? Anything John Avery?

These are the kinds of thoughts that kept me out of the good schools.

Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Winner.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
As I was driving to work this morning, I passed by a guy standing on the sidewalk. He was wearing a Danny Fortson University of Cincinnati jersey. Of all people, Danny Fortson? Hell, I understand that the guy probably didn't put any real thought into it when he put it on this morning. I bet he just picked something out of his closet and wore it. I get that. Still, I found it to be a strange sight in Pittsburgh in 2008.

I know I take this stuff too seriously, because if I had a Danny Fortson UC jersey, I would've retired it years ago. I might keep it, but I wouldn't wear it in public. Now I'm trying to think of other jerseys that might give me the same reaction. A Kevin Elster Mets jersey? A Karl Williams Buccaneers jersey? Anything John Avery?

Fortson played hs ball in the Pittsburgh area. I seem to remember a big controversy when he tried to switch schools. Anyways There's a slight chance it was a relative or something. Unless it was a white dude
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:17 AM   #4
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Fortson played hs ball in the Pittsburgh area. I seem to remember a big controversy when he tried to switch schools. Anyways There's a slight chance it was a relative or something. Unless it was a white dude
OK, I didn't know that he played in high school around here. The thought crossed my mind that it might've been a relative, and I could accept that. Since either of those are decent reasons for the guy wearing the jersey this morning, it's not nearly as random as I had thought (or hoped).
Old 09-16-2008, 11:18 AM   #5
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
There's a slight chance it was a relative or something.

Or homeless.

Need to start an online store up.. shittyjerseys.com

Could buy you a nice Ryan Leaf powder blue retro jersey, Gary Sheffield Brewers jersey or Manute Bol Indianapolis Ice jersey there.

Endless possibilities to go Old School Crappy
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 09-16-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

Look, I know this thread isn't serious and I know I'm a homer. But Danny Fortson, if you forget, was the best player in the nation when he played for the Bearcats. So comparing him to shitty PROS does no justice. It's like rocking a Eric Crouch Nebraska jersey.

Last edited by korme : 09-16-2008 at 11:23 AM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I like obscure jerseys better than ones with obvious names on the back. Everyone in Winnipeg walks around with Stegall or Roberts or Canada on their back, I like seeing the oddballs. Like last week I saw a guy in a Sam Garza jersey, and it brought a tear to me eye.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #8
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Look, I know this thread isn't serious and I know I'm a homer. But Danny Fortson, if you forget, was the best player in the nation when he played for the Bearcats. So comparing him to shitty PROS does no justice. It's like rocking a Eric Crouch Nebraska jersey.
Well, then, if I see somebody walking around in a Gino Torretta Hurricanes jersey, I'll slap myself for laughing.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:28 AM   #9
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Hey, Pumpy just met Danny Fortson!
Old 09-16-2008, 11:29 AM   #10
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Hey, Pumpy just met Danny Fortson!
It took y'all long enough.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:39 AM   #11
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I like obscure jerseys better than ones with obvious names on the back. Everyone in Winnipeg walks around with Stegall or Roberts or Canada on their back, I like seeing the oddballs. Like last week I saw a guy in a Sam Garza jersey, and it brought a tear to me eye.

Garza... geez.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:04 PM   #12
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, then, if I see somebody walking around in a Gino Torretta Hurricanes jersey, I'll slap myself for laughing.

Unless, of course, it's Gino Torretta. Then you'd just cry a little?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:06 PM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Or homeless.

Could buy you a nice Ryan Leaf powder blue retro jersey, Gary Sheffield Brewers jersey or Manute Bol Indianapolis Ice jersey there.

I love this idea. Something woot should do along with woot t-shirts and woot wines. They can have woot.retro with stuff like Ryan Leaf jerseys and Pats Super Bowl winning shirts from last year.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:35 PM   #14
Logan
Head Coach

Doesn't Page 2 on ESPN do the "random jerseys you see" thing?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:54 PM   #15
MikeVic
Head Coach

Awesome site. Some of the comments are great.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:57 PM   #16
Tigercat
College Starter

Like pumpy doesn't wear random New Orleans Voodoo jerseys up there.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:58 PM   #17
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

And to be fair, Fortson was a decent pro... if it wasn't for injuries, he was trying to be the next Dennis Rodman (pulled down 16 rpg in like 29 mpg for the Warriors IIRC).

What I'm trying to say is, Danny Fortson was awesome.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:58 PM   #18
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

Scroll down to the bottom of that page and you get treated to a guy not only wearing an Argos Rocket Ismail jersey, but he's accented it with sweat-pants and what appears to be a fanny pack! Stay classy Toronto!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:59 PM   #19
MikeVic
Head Coach

Speaking of Pumpy, I was playing NHL 09 and (true story), was playing against the Devils in Be a Pro mode... Colin White tried to pass but I ended up intercepting it. The announcer said something like "there's another turnover by White. It's been happening all game!"

Hahahaha.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:05 PM   #20
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Doesn't Page 2 on ESPN do the "random jerseys you see" thing?
This makes me realize how long it's been since I looked at espn.com.

Quote:
Thanks for that! The Stan Gelbaugh jersey cracked me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Like pumpy doesn't wear random New Orleans Voodoo jerseys up there.
Andy Kelly is not random, and neither is Lin-J Shell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
And to be fair, Fortson was a decent pro... if it wasn't for injuries, he was trying to be the next Dennis Rodman (pulled down 16 rpg in like 29 mpg for the Warriors IIRC).

What I'm trying to say is, Danny Fortson was awesome.
OK, I get your point. Until I knew about Fortson's Pittsburgh background, I just thought that sighting was incredibly random this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Speaking of Pumpy, I was playing NHL 09 and (true story), was playing against the Devils in Be a Pro mode... Colin White tried to pass but I ended up intercepting it. The announcer said something like "there's another turnover by White. It's been happening all game!"

Hahahaha.
I see that EA got all the letters and bloody roses I've been sending them.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:55 PM   #21
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

That's the site.

Very odd that I get shown that site today, when the featured picture is taken in my hometown of Marlboro, NJ.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:56 PM   #22
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

Holy crap! I'm pretty sure this guy is the husband of a friend of mine. He actually went to high school with Billy Davis (Go Irvin Rockets!)...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:50 PM   #23
Uncle Briggs
Mascot

Quote:
...Anything John Avery?...

No John Avery jerseys on E-bay, but I did find a Bernie Parmalee. If it wasn't too small, I'd likely buy that. He's probably my fourth- or fifth-favorite dolphin ever.
Uncle Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:10 PM   #24
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

This thread reminded me of kids in high school that frequently wore Eric Zeier (Ravens) and Frank Reich (Panthers) jerseys.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:47 PM   #25
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:

Yep he was living in Altoona, and ended up at Shaler HS. He played (and dominated) a handful of games, and then was declared ineligible.

JO Stright, a local AAU booster, was in the middle of it all too. Whether he masterminded it all, or whatever, not sure.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:29 PM   #26
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Old 09-16-2008, 07:34 PM   #27
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Two weeks ago on my way to pick up some beers for the NFL opener, I went out wearing my Kerry Kittles NJ Nets jersey. Here in Chicago. I would be shocked if a single person I ran into had any idea who the hell that was.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:57 PM   #28
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Here in Chicago. I would be shocked if a single person I ran into had any idea who the hell that was.

Probably thought it was a promo for the small round candy fruit chews.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:23 PM   #29
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Didn't Gino Toretta win the Heisman? Even though that was 18 years ago, it would still be a totally valid jersey for a Canes fan. Or Eric Crouch for a Nebraska fan. Or Troy Smith for a Buckeyes fan. None of them were great pros, but they all won the Heisman at their respective college. As a college football fan first, it'd be cool to see a fellow Buckeye fan sporting a Troy Smith jersey. Even if it's 15 years from now
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:15 PM   #30
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
This makes me realize how long it's been since I looked at espn.com.

Thanks for that! The Stan Gelbaugh jersey cracked me up.

Andy Kelly is not random, and neither is Lin-J Shell!

OK, I get your point. Until I knew about Fortson's Pittsburgh background, I just thought that sighting was incredibly random this morning.

I see that EA got all the letters and bloody roses I've been sending them.

Anyone ever read that article about random jerseys and people that wear jerseys with obscure players? I think I posted it here once, and I can't find the article again...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:58 PM   #31
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Shit. I was actually in the basic stages of doing a similar site. After seeing just so many jersey fouls in my visit to Heinz field, I thought it was blog worthy.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:59 PM   #32
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Yep he was living in Altoona, and ended up at Shaler HS. He played (and dominated) a handful of games, and then was declared ineligible.

JO Stright, a local AAU booster, was in the middle of it all too. Whether he masterminded it all, or whatever, not sure.

Yeah, I seem to remember he scored around 75 points over his first 2 games, then they booted his ass.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:03 AM   #33
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Or homeless.

lol, we think alike
Old 09-17-2008, 12:05 AM   #34
stevew
Hall Of Famer

quad dola-

I think the most random jersey I ever saw someone rocking was a Curtis Enis Bears jersey. It may have even been orange. Just totally random that someone would have kept it for 4-5 years after he retired.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:49 AM   #35
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Hummm, maybe my Keyshawn Johnson New York Jets jersey is not as cool as I think it is
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:27 AM   #36
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu View Post
Didn't Gino Toretta win the Heisman? Even though that was 18 years ago, it would still be a totally valid jersey for a Canes fan. Or Eric Crouch for a Nebraska fan. Or Troy Smith for a Buckeyes fan. None of them were great pros, but they all won the Heisman at their respective college. As a college football fan first, it'd be cool to see a fellow Buckeye fan sporting a Troy Smith jersey. Even if it's 15 years from now
I admit that I've got a few screws loose. To me, the name "Gino Torretta" has become a punchline, just like Eric Crouch, Akili Smith, and Giovanni Carmazzi. I don't think Troy Smith will ever reach that level with me. I don't know what makes Troy Smith different from those other guys in my head, but it's just not the same.

So I'm sure it's just me. Heath Shuler is a punchline, Danny Wuerffel isn't. David Klingler is a punchline, Andre Ware isn't. It's something that I obviously can't explain. It's just one of those things that makes me weird.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #37
DanGarion
Coordinator

Tim Couch!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:36 AM   #38
Butter
Coordinator

I wore my Ki-Jana Carter Bengals jersey around every so often up through a few years ago.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:45 AM   #39
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I have a Bobby Hurley Sacramento Kings Jersey.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 12:14 PM   #40
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Tim Couch, Ki-Jana Carter, and Bobby Hurley are all punchlines.

I'm going to hug the hell out of the first person I see wearing a Cody Carlson jersey, though.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:08 PM   #41
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm going to hug the hell out of the first person I see wearing a Cody Carlson jersey, though.

I'll pay someone $50 to ring Pumpy's door with a Colin White jersey on.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:07 PM   #42
larnott
n00b

Dontonio Wingfield is envious.
larnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:32 PM   #43
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:05 AM   #44
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:07 AM   #45
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

In a few years my JJ Reddick signed Duke Jersey can go on this page.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:06 PM   #46
JeeberD
General Manager

Fuck Fennis Dembo!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote