Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-07-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

Unhappy Sad News from El Paso

RIP Coach Haskins. My condolences to his personal and UTEP family.

ESPN - Haskins, who broke color barriers at Texas Western, dies - Men's College Basketball

Quote:
EL PASO, Texas -- Don Haskins, credited with helping break color barriers in college sports in 1966 when he used five black starters to win a national basketball title for Texas Western, died Sunday. He was 78.

Texas-El Paso spokesman Jeff Darby said the Hall of Fame coach died Sunday afternoon. He had no other details. UTEP was previously known as Texas Western.

Haskins was an old-time coach who believed in hard work and was known for his gruff demeanor. That attitude was portrayed in the 2006 movie "Glory Road," the Disney film that chronicled Haskins' improbable rise to national fame in the 1966 championship game against Kentucky. The movie, which was preceded by a book of the same title, also sparked renewed interest in Haskins' career.

During his career, Haskins turned down several more lucrative offers, including one with the now-defunct American Basketball Association, to remain at UTEP as one of the lowest paid coaches in the Western Athletic Conference.

Haskins retired in 1999 after 38 seasons at the school. He had a 719-353 record and won seven WAC championships. He took UTEP to 14 NCAA tournaments and to the NIT seven times and briefly worked as an adviser with the Chicago Bulls.

His health had been an issue in his final coaching years, often forcing him to remain seated during games, and his program struggled after twice being slapped with NCAA sanctions. Serious health concerns continued in his retirement. In the midst of a series of book signings and other appearances Haskins was hospitalized with various woes.

After his retirement, Haskins kept close ties with the Miners. The school's most recent hire, Tony Barbee, said he even met with Haskins just after accepting the job.

"He is a guy who has forgotten more basketball than I will ever know," Barbee said. Haskins played for Hall of Fame coach Henry "Hank" Iba at Oklahoma State, back when the school was still Oklahoma A&M. Haskins was later an assistant under Iba for the 1972 U.S. Olympic team in Munich.

As a coach, Haskins became a star early in his career by leading his Miners to the 1966 NCAA championship game, then making the controversial decision to start five blacks against all-white, heavily favored Kentucky, coached by Adolph Rupp. The Miners won, and shortly after that many schools began recruiting black players.

Haskins said he wasn't trying to make a social statement with his lineup; he was simply starting his best players. The move, however, raised the ire of some who sent Haskins hate mail and even death threats during the racially charged era.

The coach always was focused on the game of basketball. He had a reputation for working his players hard.

"Our practices wore us out so much that we'd have to rest up before the games," said Harry Floury, a starter in the 1966 championship. "If you work hard all the time and if you go after every loose ball, you see things like that [championship] happen."

Haskins is credited with helping Nate Archibald, Tim Hardaway and Antonio Davis, among others, make it to the NBA.

In November 2000, Haskins was awarded the John Thompson Foundation's Outstanding Achievement Award during a tournament hosted by Arkansas.

"We couldn't think of anyone that deserves this recognition more than coach Haskins," said Nolan Richardson, the former Arkansas coach who played under Haskins for two years. "He opened the door for African-American players to play basketball."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:35 PM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

thats a shame, he made as profound a change to sports and college athletics as just about anyone else.

Last edited by Lathum : 09-07-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
molson
General Manager

Amazing guy. And at least it's a chance for his story to be in the news again, for people to have access to it.

Last edited by molson : 09-07-2008 at 08:51 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:55 PM   #4
bhlloy
Coordinator

RIP. A true pioneer who changed sports forever, and couldn't have been more unassuming or modest about it.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:15 AM   #5
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

WOW....Sad Day...where's the tear drop emoticon...

Maybe this will bring the story into the public spotlight once more
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:36 AM   #6
JeeberD
General Manager

My sister got a text message about this from a close friend who is a member of the El Paso media just as we exited DFW airport. I'm sure El Paso is going to be in serious mourning for a while, the guy is an absolute legend out there. I wish I could make it back to EP, because I'm sure UTEP is going to put on an amazing memorial service in his honor.

RIP, Bear.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 09-08-2008 at 09:36 AM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:29 AM   #7
JeeberD
General Manager

Dola-

And if any of you want more info on him, the El Paso Times has put together a section strictly about him and his passing...

Don Haskins - El Paso Times

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote