Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Bypass Surgery

I got a quick question to those who might have had this done or know someone who had it.

I had a angiogram done today. I have one artery thats been closed off for years and two more that are pretty bad. Luckily for me the Doc says my heart is very strong but I will need a triple bypass . So it looks like next week or the week after. Do any of you have any suggestions on what to expect post surgery? I know that i'll be off for about 6 weeks after but what kind of effects might I feel? Will me and the wife be able to knock boots? etc etc...

Any kind of info would be appreciated..

Bart

Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'd encourage you to ask your surgeon when you will be able to resume having sex, as well as any other questions you may have. Every case is a bit different. Good luck with the surgery and your recovery.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-15-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
Subby
lolzcat

I am not a doctor but I am pretty sure you can have sex the same day as the surgery. I don't think triple bypass is considered major surgery, right? I think the one thing you have to do is lay off bacon the first couple days but I think beef jerky is a reasonable substitute during that time.

edit: in all seriousness, just follow EF27's advice and best of luck...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 08-15-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
digamma
Torchbearer

If not beef jerky, certainly that turkey jerky.

seriously, good luck with the surgery.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:25 PM   #5
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I'll give just a general oberservation that you might want to discuss with your wife and be prepared. Any open heart surgery can come with major mood swings and in some cases severe depression afterward. I honestly can't tell if the cause is from the surgery, or just from the pain and fear associated with this kind of health trauma. I do know that it happens and is not uncommon. Just be prepared, and more have her prepared.

Sorry to hear you're having to deal with this, and good luck.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:37 PM   #6
cuervo72
Head Coach

Best of luck, hope everything goes smoothly for you.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #7
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I'll give just a general oberservation that you might want to discuss with your wife and be prepared. Any open heart surgery can come with major mood swings and in some cases severe depression afterward. I honestly can't tell if the cause is from the surgery, or just from the pain and fear associated with this kind of health trauma. I do know that it happens and is not uncommon. Just be prepared, and more have her prepared.

Sorry to hear you're having to deal with this, and good luck.

Very good point. Back when I was doing consultations, cardiology gave me more consults than anyone except for the ER. Depression after the surgery is very common and should not be ignored.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:58 PM   #8
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I'd encourage you to ask your surgeon when you will be able to resume having sex, as well as any other questions you may have. Every case is a bit different. Good luck with the surgery and your recovery.

The surgeon may be pretty awesome for saving your life and all, but you don't need to have sex with him or her because of it. If you're worried about when you will be able to resume, that probably means you shouldn't have started in the first place.

But seriously, good luck!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:25 PM   #9
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Um, no..no sex with the doc...his 'stash would tickle too much..

Depression, huh? that doesnt sound like fun...but I am the most upbeat of my family about this..My wife is a basketcase...then so are my parents and in-laws.

The worst case scenario is I wont be able to play the next great football text sim..That would be serious suckage..
Old 08-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #10
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I know you don't want to think about these things, but take care of your will, living will, DNR if you want one, etc. You'll almost certainly not need any of these, but if the worst happens you need to be prepared.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:38 PM   #11
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
Um, no..no sex with the doc...his 'stash would tickle too much..

Depression, huh? that doesnt sound like fun...but I am the most upbeat of my family about this..My wife is a basketcase...then so are my parents and in-laws.

The worst case scenario is I wont be able to play the next great football text sim..That would be serious suckage..

Depression isn't universal or anything close to that. Also, studies have shown that those with a good attitude/mood before and after the surgery heal much better and actually have a lower rate of complications, so your attitude will serve you well.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:47 PM   #12
path12
Coordinator

I didn't ask my Dad about the boot knockin' thing, but I know he was pretty sore for those first six weeks after his bypass. Expect a rehab program to start remarkably quickly after the surgery -- he was on his feet the next day, at least up and down the hall and was walking a couple miles a day within a month IIRC.

Best of luck to you.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #13
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I know you don't want to think about these things, but take care of your will, living will, DNR if you want one, etc. You'll almost certainly not need any of these, but if the worst happens you need to be prepared.

I would absolutely second this.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:35 PM   #14
saldana
Pro Starter

i think the depression thing is unrelated to the actual surgical proceudre...it has been my experience with people that have had this surgery that the depression is related to the amazing fatigue that comes from the simplest things...walking across the room can be like running a marathon, so people get depressed over their overall physical state

i used to take alot of people to the hospital for routine transports that couldnt walk to the bus stop after the surgery, so my advice would be to do exactly what your doctor says and keep your spirits up as best you can

Last edited by saldana : 08-15-2008 at 06:38 PM.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:49 PM   #15
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Alrighty then, tommorow at 7:30 am the doc is going to start rotorooting in my chest. It just feels weird knowing there is a miniscule chance I wont wake up and that the last sight I have is some ceiling,in a nondescript room at Mercy Hospital in South Buffalo

The funny thing is that the nurse in pre-op told me i'll be fine and its a very safe surgery but then asked me what my religion was so they knew who to send in "just in case".. I actually had half a mind to tell her to send in a priest of Kali just to see what would happen. Oh well, i thought it was funny and she did laugh when i brought it up that its stressful for them to bring up last rites after telling me how safe it was.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #16
saldana
Pro Starter

best thoughts go with you A.L.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:55 PM   #17
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Sending positive thoughts your way. Hoping for the best for you.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:55 PM   #18
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Good luck, dude!
Old 09-03-2008, 08:01 PM   #19
Kodos
Resident Alien

Good luck!
Old 09-03-2008, 08:03 PM   #20
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

sending good thoughts
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:30 PM   #21
JediKooter
Coordinator

You should be fine. My dad had triple bypass over 10 years ago. He said the worst part was when he had to cough or sneeze, but, that only lasted for around 3 weeks after the surgery. Heck, they had him up and walking (not very far) a couple of hours after the operation.

Best of luck to you man, looking forward to hearing a dynasty or something about it.

Your doctor isn't this guy is he?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 524821815_e9d41fd8ed.jpg (47.5 KB, 73 views)

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:46 PM   #22
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

best of luck
Old 09-04-2008, 03:00 AM   #23
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
You should be fine. My dad had triple bypass over 10 years ago. He said the worst part was when he had to cough or sneeze, but, that only lasted for around 3 weeks after the surgery. Heck, they had him up and walking (not very far) a couple of hours after the operation.

Best of luck to you man, looking forward to hearing a dynasty or something about it.

Your doctor isn't this guy is he?

Aw crap...it's him!

Well, i hope i make it. I have two FF teams floating around. Hate for some shmoe to run them into the ground. I can run them into the ground myself, thank you very much... And if you saw my line-ups you would concur. I am the only one I know who traded/cut away Brady/Welker/McNabb/Rivers while keeping the gunslingin' talents of Mr Carr.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:13 PM   #24
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
Aw crap...it's him!

Well, i hope i make it. I have two FF teams floating around. Hate for some shmoe to run them into the ground. I can run them into the ground myself, thank you very much... And if you saw my line-ups you would concur. I am the only one I know who traded/cut away Brady/Welker/McNabb/Rivers while keeping the gunslingin' talents of Mr Carr.

Kali ma! Kali ma!!

Just don't drink the special blood before hand and you should be alright.

Brady, Welker, McNabb, and Rivers...ouch! I'm betting you cut McNabb or Rivers or both and traded Brady and Welker. Did you at least get something in the trade?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote