Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-27-2008, 05:10 PM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

ping Scotty boras

Eat a dick you miserable fuck. Its bad enough you wasted 2 months trying to extort the pirates with Alvarez. And then agreed to a deal. And now its not legal due to some legal maneuvering bullshit?

I'd post a link to the ESPN story but its hard to do so from my phone.

Last edited by stevew : 08-27-2008 at 05:11 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
molson
General Manager

I have no idea what you're talking about, but ya, Boras is bad news.

He convinced Manny to threaten to hold out so options (that were beneficial to the player) would be cancelled, allowing Boras to get a piece of a new deal. You can't get more unethical. Manny won't see that $20 million again, but Boras will profit off of the intentionally bad advice.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:16 PM   #3
DeToxRox
Head Coach

per MLBTradeRumors.com

2:27pm: Baseball America's Jim Callis offered thoughts on the situation in a chat today. He heard Hosmer was granted an extension by MLB, and signed a bit after the deadline. Alvarez may have been granted one as well. Alvarez apparently took control of the negotiations toward the end, which may be the cause for Boras' complaint. A similar situation happened in '93 with A-Rod, and the grievance didn't go anywhere.

Also, it should be noted that the Players Association filed the grievance, not Scott Boras.

2:07pm: MLB.com's Jenifer Langosch talked to a source who said Boras wants another $200K, so that Alvarez's bonus matches Buster Posey's.

12:57pm: Turns out Pedro Alvarez has not reported to the Pirates yet for a reason - the Players Association filed a grievance on his behalf today. They're saying Alvarez verbally agreed to his $6MM bonus after the midnight deadline on August 15th. Scott Boras informed the Pirates that Alvarez will not sign the contract unless it is renegotiated at a higher number. Royals top pick Eric Hosmer may also become tangled up in this mess, since his contract was submitted after Alvarez.

The Pirates issued a statement, showing their displeasure with Boras' tactics but expressing confidence the grievance will be dropped. The team also indicates disappointment with Alvarez himself, as he ultimately approved this grievance. In a way, it seems like Boras is taking a stand in general against the idea of the midnight deadline.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Eat a dick you miserable fuck. Its bad enough you wasted 2 months trying to extort the pirates with Alvarez. And then agreed to a deal. And now its not legal due to some legal maneuvering bullshit?

I'd post a link to the ESPN story but its hard to do so from my phone.

Without knowing the details, an agent's job is to maximize his client's earnings, not make you feel better about yourself. If its true that MLB violated their own collective agreement with the MLBPA by granting extensions unilaterlly, than Boras absolutely has a pt. Now, if Boras is using Alvarez, its despicable, but Alvarez has to have consented to this action - and he's an adult.

For the life of me, I don't get why the hell do people get so bitter about atheletes and money. I'm a die-hard Giants fan, but if Posey felt he wasn't getting enough and went back into the draft, more power to him. He doesn't owe me anything.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:46 PM   #5
SackAttack
Head Coach

Aren't the Pirates also saying that the paperwork was submitted before that of another Boras client, the KC player who *isn't* trying to renegotiate?

Would be funny if MLB said "Okay," invalidated both of them, and the players' draft stock took a shit.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Aren't the Pirates also saying that the paperwork was submitted before that of another Boras client, the KC player who *isn't* trying to renegotiate?

Would be funny if MLB said "Okay," invalidated both of them, and the players' draft stock took a shit.

Well, Hosmer would then have a lawsuit on his hands against Boras, is my guess.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:46 PM   #7
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

This is just par for the course with Boras

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:13 AM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The whole entire draft process is just stupid. I hope Alvarez seeks better counsel before he ends up wasting a year of earnings due to his bumblefuck agent.

I mean, I know an agent is supposed to play hardball. But to play chicken with a deadline and refuse to negotiate til the last second? That's just jackassery. OR Borassery. The part about him wanting more money is just puzzling, as you either agreed to a deal in time or you didn't. Asking for more money and then pulling this stunt is pretty much extortion.

I wouldn't even care if Alvarez was signed to an illegal contract and it was voided. So be it, he goes back into the draft and the Pirates get the #3 pick next year. He's a great prospect, but we're not talking about a once in a lifetime player either.

Ah well, it's just par for the course for Boras.

Statement from Frank Coonelly, Pirates president:
Quote:
Quote:
"At the Pirates' request, the Office of the Commissioner today placed Pedro Alvarez on Major League Baseball's Restricted List. The Pirates were forced to request that Pedro be placed on the Restricted List because we were informed by his agent, Scott Boras, that Pedro will not sign the contract to which he agreed on August 15. Boras further informed us that Pedro will not report to the Club unless we renegotiate his contract and agree to pay him more than the $6 million signing bonus to which he agreed.

"The Major League Rules provide that a player who refuses to sign a Uniform Player Contract to which he has agreed and report to the signing Club shall, upon a report of the signing Club, be placed on the Restricted List until he signs a contract reflecting the terms to which he has agreed. Such a player may not sign a contract with or play for any other Club. While demanding that we renegotiate his contract and pay Pedro more than the $6 million signing bonus to which Pedro agreed, Mr. Boras has contended that the contract we reached with Pedro was consummated after the August 15 deadline. This claim was not raised on the evening of the 15th when we informed Mr. Boras that Major League Baseball had confirmed that the contract was submitted in a timely fashion. Mr. Boras asserted this claim several days later, after all of the draft signings had become publicized.

"The Pirates are confident that the contract reached with Pedro Alvarez was agreed to and submitted to Major League Baseball in a timely fashion and properly accepted by Major League Baseball. In fact, the contract between the Kansas City Royals and Eric Hosmer, another Boras client, was submitted to the Office of the Commissioner after our contract with Pedro was submitted. Mr. Boras is apparently satisfied with the $6 million bonus that he secured for Mr. Hosmer and has not challenged the validity of that contract. Mr. Boras has been informed that if he pursues a claim that our contract with Pedro was not timely he puts Eric Hosmer's contract with Kansas City in jeopardy.

"The Pirates made several attempts to commence negotiations immediately following the draft and were willing and ready to agree to pay Pedro a $6 million signing bonus from the very outset. Predictably, however, Mr. Boras refused to engage in any negotiations at all until shortly before the August 15 deadline and even then an agreement was reached only after Pedro took control of the negotiations.

"Regrettably, we are not surprised that Mr. Boras would attempt to raise a meritless legal claim in an effort to compel us to renegotiate Pedro's contract to one more to his liking. We are, however, disappointed that Pedro would allow his agent to pursue this claim on his behalf. Pedro showed tremendous fortitude and independent thinking when he agreed to his contract on August 15.

"The Office of the Commissioner has assured us that we have a valid contract with Pedro and that it will vigorously defend any claim to the contrary. Despite our disappointment, we continue to believe in Pedro Alvarez the person and the baseball player and remain excited to add Pedro to our system. We will sit down with Pedro and his family as soon as Mr. Boras' claim is rejected to chart a new and much more productive start to Pedro's career with the Pittsburgh Pirates."

Eh, I just want to see him knock in some ribbies.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:32 AM   #9
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

How on earth does Scott Boras find the time to represent so many athletes? It seems like he represents about 500 guys.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #10
molson
General Manager

As long as he's screwing teams and not his clients, Boras is doing his job.

Unless there were ever some kind of backlash from teams. But Boaras has all the power. There's often notes in the Boston media about Theo Epstein needing to tread lightly with Boras and not offend him, since he represents so many Red Sox and potential Free Agents.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote