Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-26-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Something I've never really understood about church carnivals

Disclaimer this has nothing to do with religion

My church carnival began last night, so we had the kids there.

Why is it that church carnivals attract the people who would never be caught dead near a church any other time? Not trying to be all holier than thou or push my religion on someone, but what is it that is so appealing about church carnivals?

Or maybe this is only a Western PA thing?

Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:07 PM   #2
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

What is a church carnival? - if its like our 'fairs' back home (few v. cheap games, some bric-a-brac/jumble for sale and cakes etc.) then its because its cheap and pretty much anyone will turn up to cheap things ...

(the bric-a-brac especially brings out bargain hunters)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
molson
General Manager

Aren't they fundraisers?

If so, I imagine they'd want to attract as broad an audience as possible, church-going or not.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
hhiipp
College Prospect

My wife took the kids to one because they had free entertainment and cheap food.

I go to another one it's a catholic school carnival, for beer and blackjack.
hhiipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I don't go church or carnivals, so don't blame me.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:36 PM   #6
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

This seems like the oddest complaint to me. The whole point of making the carnival open to the 'public' is likely to generate new members. Stop being a fucking church elitist and make these people feel welcome, maybe they'll stop huffing glue and start worshiping the lord or something.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:46 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I think I get where you're coming from, and honestly I have no idea.

But then again, I don't really get much of the appeal of carnivals church or otherwise so maybe that works against me figuring it out.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:57 PM   #8
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Probably because they find the carnival fun but don't beleive in the religion and/or don't find worshiping fun/useful.

I don't know how to play cricket, but if a local cricket team threw a carnival with good games and good food, I'd probably go.

And I don't live in Iowa, but I'd like to check out their state fair one day.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:11 PM   #9
JediKooter
Coordinator

I go for the preachers' daughter.

Never heard of a church carnival though. Is it like the Harvest Festival?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:21 PM   #10
QuikSand
lolzcat

Maybe people come *because* of the sign hung right at the entrance to the carnival that says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
this has nothing to do with religion

*shurg*
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:31 PM   #11
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
What is a church carnival? - if its like our 'fairs' back home (few v. cheap games, some bric-a-brac/jumble for sale and cakes etc.) then its because its cheap and pretty much anyone will turn up to cheap things ...

(the bric-a-brac especially brings out bargain hunters)

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Aren't they fundraisers?

If so, I imagine they'd want to attract as broad an audience as possible, church-going or not.

Yes like a fair. Same type of deal. Bingo, some old rickety rides, junk for sale, games etc.

And yes it's a fundraiser. No "recruiting" of any kind, so doesn't truly bother me who shows up and spend their money and who doesn't.

Just seems odd it attracts people who would not support a church (their choice, this isn't a religion thread) by any other means, but have no problem dropping tons of cash on a poker game there. I guess, to stereotype, I am thinking late teen-early 20's cool guy/tough guy crowd who pulled up in their tricked out Scions and baggy pants and/or combat boots and pentagram t-shirts. Cause that is what I saw about 40 of last night.

Just a curiousity question I guess. Something I've always wondered. Maybe JimGA is thinking along the same wave-length, who knows.

Maybe something the world might never know. I'd delete the thread, but people would lose posts.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:39 PM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The only time you'll say Jesus Christ at a local carnival is after they tell you how much it costs to ride a few of the attractions. Like how did this shit get so expensive? Each of my girls did like 3-4 rides at a local carnival and my wallet felt violated.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:39 PM   #13
lungs
Pro Rookie

Is there a beer tent? If al-Qaeda threw a fundraiser with a beer tent I'm sure it'd still be very popular here in Wisconsin.

I think it's a law that every town in Wisconsin has a beer tent during some weekend in the summer. Is this true elsewhere? This weekend my town's festival happens. It's called the Cow Chip Throw and a bunch of drunk people get together and see how far they can throw a piece of cow shit. No joke.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:42 PM   #14
molson
General Manager

I've assuming that the non-church goers aren't anti-church. If so, I don't see how its different than anything else you can spend your money on.

Let's say there's a neighborhood department store. There's an owner. People will shop there even though they won't support the owner in any other way (by handing him money, babysitting for his kids, washing his car). They're just buying crap in a store.

Now if the church fair was obviously a bad entertainment value - like it had a $50 entry fee, then I'd find it confusing for people to go if they had no interest in supporting the church.

I think you are looking at it from some sort of relgious perspective - like maybe that if someone doesn't go to church, they must be opposed to the whole establishment of religion or something.

Last edited by molson : 08-26-2008 at 04:44 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:57 PM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just seems odd it attracts people who would not support a church (their choice, this isn't a religion thread) by any other means, but have no problem dropping tons of cash on a poker game there. I guess, to stereotype, I am thinking late teen-early 20's cool guy/tough guy crowd who pulled up in their tricked out Scions and baggy pants and/or combat boots and pentagram t-shirts. Cause that is what I saw about 40 of last night. Just a curiousity question I guess. Something I've always wondered. Maybe JimGA is thinking along the same wave-length, who knows.

Kind of but I may sort of have the answer to the part that actually seems to be the most curious to you:

They're bored.

They aren't there to support the church, that has nothing to do with it. They're bored out of their freakin' skulls & you happened to provide an opportunity to break the monotony a little. Who gets the money from it is almost certainly entirely incidental to them.

They'd have the same reaction if it the money were going to Scientologists, Amway, or Bill Gates.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:35 PM   #16
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I can see the appeal you young kids, or those of us with young kids. And I see the appeal to the older generation, the community get together type. And I see the appeal to those who are members of the parish-- it's a parish fundraiser.

But, I am seeing loads of people in there early 20's, guys and girls, who after about 5 minutes and 3 instant bingo tickets stand around in groups of 10 or so just hanging out there. Is the church parking lot the new scene or something? Is it a hot spot to pick up chicks now?

If they are bored, I'll buy they want to get out. But I can think of about 100 places I'd have rather been as a guy in my early 20's.

I could care less if they support my church spiritually on not. Let them spend their money there. To even make it non-religious, the same rides/games/food are at volunteer fire company fairs, and the same crowd shows up. Just can not figure out when there are plenty of other places in town on a summer night (bar scene...Pirates game...ok maybe not a Pirates game) that I'd think would have more appeal. Just seems like the games aren't even the draw, it's just to be seen at the church/fire company carnival.

As another example, around Labor Day, Rib-Fest's are a big thing in and around Pittsburgh. More or less, just as hokey as a church carnival, but food, beer, and live music. I see the appeal. The teacup ride, funnel cakes, and blue haired grandmas, I don't see what was drawing them in.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:19 PM   #17
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
ot support a church (their choice, this isn't a religion thread) by any other means, but have no problem dropping tons of cash on a poker game there.

This is what I find strangest to be honest - I've seen the catholic school my kids go to do this ... that is having gambling as part of their fund raising, despite the fact that the bible is definitely against the idea of gambling ....

(English churches do tombola and suchlike (which are strictly speaking also gambling) but nothing close to the idea of a poker game) ...)

Personally I like Poker so its cool, seems odd though - but like them having a room set aside in the church fete for a striptease or something along those lines ...

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 08-26-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:39 PM   #18
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Is there a beer tent? If al-Qaeda threw a fundraiser with a beer tent I'm sure it'd still be very popular here in Wisconsin.

I think it's a law that every town in Wisconsin has a beer tent during some weekend in the summer. Is this true elsewhere? This weekend my town's festival happens. It's called the Cow Chip Throw and a bunch of drunk people get together and see how far they can throw a piece of cow shit. No joke.

While we don't have the Cow Chip Throw in Racine, just about every church has a carnival at some point during the summer and that's not counting all the ethnicity-based fests.

So yeah, a beer tent every weekend in the summer there too.

I don't know if it happens in other states myself, but Wisconsin sure loves its beer.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:43 PM   #19
Schmidty
Coordinator

It's a carnival. People like to go to them, regardless of where they are held (unless they are bigoted).

Stop over-thinking things.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:17 PM   #20
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
It's a carnival. People like to go to them, regardless of where they are held (unless they are bigoted).

Stop over-thinking things.

I don't like carnivals, regardless of where they are held. They are loud. They are full of people. I don't trust any ride that can be put up and taken down in a day. The food is bad and expensive. The games are lame and the prizes cheap.

I don't like carnivals. Or Freedom.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #21
JimboJ
High School Varsity

carnival = fun
church < fun
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:34 PM   #22
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I don't like carnivals, regardless of where they are held. They are loud. They are full of people. I don't trust any ride that can be put up and taken down in a day. The food is bad and expensive. The games are lame and the prizes cheap.

thisthisthisthisthis

(although it is irrelevant to the topic)
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:41 PM   #23
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post

Depends on the denomination throwing the carnival. Catholics, Lutherans or similar groups...yep. Baptists, Pentecostal, AG types...no way.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:46 PM   #24
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

After the experience I had this weekend at the movies with a group of people ,I got a great new carnival game. You stick a reese's pieces in you shirt pocket and see if they can grab it or your nipple first. It was pretty cool.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:49 PM   #25
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboJ View Post
carnival = where'd my money go?

Fixed.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:53 PM   #26
Drake
assmaster

*giggle*

"tricked out Scions"

*giggle*
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:54 PM   #27
AZSpeechCoach
College Prospect

I remember the Sacred Heart block party back in Scranton during my childhood. Potato pancakes, pierogi, polka, and anything else Polish you can think of. Those were the days.

Visit Stewart the Wonderbear and his amazing travels
http://wonderbeartravel.blogspot.com
AZSpeechCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:58 PM   #28
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Agreed with Marc. Catholic school findraising is amazing when it comes to involving bingo or raffles or other forms of gambling.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:52 PM   #29
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Any place that you can drop a buck and win a free ham is ok in my book.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 08-26-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:51 AM   #30
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I don't trust any ride that can be put up and taken down in a day.

Well, I certainly agree with that. You wouldn't ever catch me on one of those death-traps.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:56 AM   #31
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
Fixed.

church = where'd my fun go?

Old 08-27-2008, 02:39 AM   #32
Tigercat
College Starter

A carnival/fair can be like watching a random Saturday morning cartoon. Who cares if it isn't cool or the type of thing thats part of your normal adult lifestyle; it can be a fun random nostalgic thing to do from time to time.

But then again I am a late 20something year old who has no shame about randomly having fun with friends on a playground set, so I may just be part of a minority who never fully grows up.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:09 AM   #33
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
But then again I am a late 20something year old who has no shame about randomly having fun with friends on a playground set, so I may just be part of a minority who never fully grows up.

Hey I'm 37 and still enjoy playing on playground sets

(I'm thoroughly convinced no one truly grows up - its just that some people supress that side of things more than others, personally I think its more fun to embrace and enjoy it )